Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

2008 Cheatsheet Compiler/Draft Buddy

OK, we're ready for sale and download!

:overhead:

Anything and everything you might want to know about the CC/DB can be found here...

FF Today Cheatsheet Compiler & Draft Buddy

After 8 years most of you guys know the drill by now, but I'll run down the details again for everyone...

The Compiler creates customized cheatsheets for your league using your scoring system while Draft Buddy tracks your draft and keeps you organized on the most important day of your fantasy season. These are Excel-based programs and thus require a version of Microsoft Excel in order to function.

We had a big list of features added in 2007 but I think you'll like some of the adjustments MM has made in the 2008 version including...

• Buddy: Shows "Overall Top Ranked Players" from the Summary Tab
  • Buddy: Optional Displays to Knock Players Off the Cheatsheets (Grey, Classic, and Cross-out)
  • Improved Keeper Player Input
  • Improved Re-Rank Players Feature

Early Bird Price is $12.95 through July 31st ($16.95 after). Your purchase will entitle you to product updates through the start of the regular season (9/6).

Support: Mike MacGregor and Mike Krueger will be offering tech support here at this board or you can send an email to compiler@fftoday.com if you have any questions. We will be happy to help!

Purchase Info: You may make your purchase with your credit card through Paypal, or by check/money order. Order here

Login Help: If you have any trouble logging in after your purchase to download the Compiler/Draft Buddy, please send a note to login@fftoday.com and we will assist you ASAP.

Here's our tentative schedule for projection updates. Unscheduled updates may occur but will post them if here if that happens...

6/6 - Initial release

6/23 (Monday) - Done

7/7 (Monday) - Done ... updated version to 1.1 (minor fixes)

7/24 (Thursday) - Done, and player notes added

7/31 (Thursday) - Done

8/7 (Thursday) - Done ... Favre to Jets just got in under the wire!

8/14 (Thursday) - Done

8/21 (Thursday) - Done

8/28 (Thursday)

9/2 (Tuesday)

Remember, you don't need to download a new copy of the CC/DB just for the projection updates. Simply

1. Open the Compiler

2. Go to "setup" tab

3. Click the "Update Projections" button

Viola! All the numbers, depth charts, adp data, etc. will be updated.

FF Today Cheatsheet Compiler & Draft Buddy

OK, let us know if you have any questions!

MK

Edited by Mike MacGregor

Thanks Mike. It looks great.

One small problem with the keeper league. Whenever I put my max keepers in the setup option in the compiler it still shows my league as a redraft. Looks like the if statement is pointing to the wrong cell/row.

Also when I go to draft buddy the keeper sheet won't pop up for me. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Son of a... :music_guitarred:

Okay, I think I see the problem. This is going to sound really stupid/simple, but go to the setup tab in the Compiler, find your way to cell C86 (it is hidden). Once on that cell, input the formula =H25.

Now do everything else like you normally would. That seems to fix it.

Damn, now I have 6 versions of the download file to update :banana:

Thanks for the early heads up though!

Looks like that worked, thanks.

One other thing, when I am putting in my keepers and I look at the IDP spreadsheet they don't seem to be grey/marked out. Whereas the offense and overall spreadhsheets grey/mark out both offense and idp players. Any thoughts?

For anyone tuning in now, I fixed the download files to the keeper issue Cashmoney highlighted.

On the display thing, try switching to a different method (say classic) and then back again. That do it?

One more question. When I am adding my keepers for 2008, after I put in the keepers for the first team they show up in the "team" spreadsheet, but when I try and added keepers for the second through 10th team it doesn't show up in the "team" spreadsheet nor does it mark them off the list. Might be another formula error?

Thanks for the help.

Did the display thing work after my prior response?

How are you adding the keepers?

Did the display thing work after my prior response?

How are you adding the keepers?

Just tried adding my keepers and they too are 'left' in the cheatsheets with DB.

Entered them on the keeper tab, using the dropdowns

But aren't they on the draft input tab beside the draft pick you chose? I'll test this out some more and report back.

I see what you mean. This is a keeper league that does not cost a draft pick to keep the players. I was focussing on that since I added that new functionality for those leagues, but apparently messed up the keeper stuff for leagues that do not use that system. Sorry. I'll post when a new file is ready.

Just got my copy,everything looks great. I like the way it pulls my info from last year. Came in 3rd last year because of my solid draft. Here is to doing better this year. Thanks Mike

Mike,

I just bought mine for the 5th or 6th season....

I do have an issue...unless I am missing something...after 6 season you think I would know what I was doing but anyway. I setup my keeper league like I do every season but I am not getting a Keeper tab in buddy...I have redone it a couple times but still no luck....any advice...

Welcome back Dan. Did you run the Draft Buddy Setup? Do you have the number of keepers set in the Compiler? Note if you downloaded right at the beginning I did have an issue with the download file, including the keeper setting. If you did both things from my first two questions, then you might want to try downloading again. Sorry about that.

Welcome back Dan. Did you run the Draft Buddy Setup? Do you have the number of keepers set in the Compiler? Note if you downloaded right at the beginning I did have an issue with the download file, including the keeper setting. If you did both things from my first two questions, then you might want to try downloading again. Sorry about that.

I originally downloaded early Sat morning I guess around 3AM...I just downloaded again...I will see what happens

Just got my copy,everything looks great. I like the way it pulls my info from last year. Came in 3rd last year because of my solid draft. Here is to doing better this year. Thanks Mike

Thanks to you Joe. Glad to have you back.

Mike,

Am I missing something or do you just not like Kellen Winslow....He is not on my TE rankings???

1 1 Antonio Gates SD 9 26.8

2 1 Heath Miller PIT 6 12.2

3 1 Tony Gonzalez KC 6 8.9

4 1 Chris Cooley WAS 10 7.4

5 2 Tony Scheffler DEN 8 4.6

6 2 Matt Spaeth PIT 6 3.0

7 2 Ben Watson NE 4 2.4

8 2 Jerame Tuman ARI 7 2.2

9 2 Billy Bajema SF 9 1.7

10 2 Daniel Graham DEN 8 1.4

11 2 Anthony Becht STL 5 1.3

12 2 John Carlson ® SEA 4 0.8

13 2 Donald Lee GB 8 0.7

14 2 Zach Miller OAK 5 0.6

15 2 Jason Witten DAL 10 0.4

16 2 Mark Bruener HOU 8 0.4

17 2 Ben Patrick ARI 7 0.2

18 2 Joe Klopfenstein STL 5 0.0

19 2 Jeb Putzier SEA 4 0.0

20 2 Jerramy Stevens TB 10 0.0

21 2 Casey Fitzsimmons DET 4 0.0

22 2 Brent Celek PHI 7 0.0

23 2 David Thomas NE 4 0.0

24 2 Tony Stewart OAK 5 0.0

25 2 Scott Chandler SD 9 0.0

26 2 Gary Barnidge ® CAR 9 0.0

27 2 Fred Davis ® WAS 10 0.0

28 2 Kellen Davis ® CHI 8 0.0

29 2 Derek Fine ® BUF 6 0.0

30 2 Mike Merritt ® KC 6 0.0

31 2 Martin Rucker ® CLE 5 0.0

32 2 Matt Sherry ® CIN 8 0.0

33 2 Craig Stevens ® TEN 6 0.0

34 2 Keith Zinger ® ATL 7 0.0

35 2 Delanie Walker SF 9 0.0

36 2 Quinn Sypniewski BAL 10 0.0

37 2 Justin Peelle MIA 4 0.0

38 2 Tyler Ecker WAS 10 0.0

I've got him #1 in fantasy scoring for TEs using the default scoring. More questions... why is Spaeth, Tuman, Bajema in your top 10 at TE? Why are the points so low? Maybe you should send me your copy of the Compiler so I can take a look.

Mike,

Am I missing something or do you just not like Kellen Winslow....He is not on my TE rankings???

1 1 Antonio Gates SD 9 26.8

2 1 Heath Miller PIT 6 12.2

3 1 Tony Gonzalez KC 6 8.9

4 1 Chris Cooley WAS 10 7.4

5 2 Tony Scheffler DEN 8 4.6

6 2 Matt Spaeth PIT 6 3.0

7 2 Ben Watson NE 4 2.4

8 2 Jerame Tuman ARI 7 2.2

9 2 Billy Bajema SF 9 1.7

10 2 Daniel Graham DEN 8 1.4

11 2 Anthony Becht STL 5 1.3

12 2 John Carlson ® SEA 4 0.8

13 2 Donald Lee GB 8 0.7

14 2 Zach Miller OAK 5 0.6

15 2 Jason Witten DAL 10 0.4

16 2 Mark Bruener HOU 8 0.4

17 2 Ben Patrick ARI 7 0.2

18 2 Joe Klopfenstein STL 5 0.0

19 2 Jeb Putzier SEA 4 0.0

20 2 Jerramy Stevens TB 10 0.0

21 2 Casey Fitzsimmons DET 4 0.0

22 2 Brent Celek PHI 7 0.0

23 2 David Thomas NE 4 0.0

24 2 Tony Stewart OAK 5 0.0

25 2 Scott Chandler SD 9 0.0

26 2 Gary Barnidge ® CAR 9 0.0

27 2 Fred Davis ® WAS 10 0.0

28 2 Kellen Davis ® CHI 8 0.0

29 2 Derek Fine ® BUF 6 0.0

30 2 Mike Merritt ® KC 6 0.0

31 2 Martin Rucker ® CLE 5 0.0

32 2 Matt Sherry ® CIN 8 0.0

33 2 Craig Stevens ® TEN 6 0.0

34 2 Keith Zinger ® ATL 7 0.0

35 2 Delanie Walker SF 9 0.0

36 2 Quinn Sypniewski BAL 10 0.0

37 2 Justin Peelle MIA 4 0.0

38 2 Tyler Ecker WAS 10 0.0

Ohh, I like Winslow plenty. He should be in there... just look near the top. :lol: Also, I can tell those are not 100% FFT rankings as their are some players on that list that I wouldn't even draft for MM's team. :headbanger:

Ohh, I like Winslow plenty. He should be in there... just look near the top. :banana: Also, I can tell those are not 100% FFT rankings as their are some players on that list that I wouldn't even draft for MM's team. :overhead:

Hmm... :overhead:

I had the scoring wrong....HAHAHA....I looked a the points again and said something is wrong....LOL

He is #1 in our scoring system too

Hi Mike,

Purchaser for 3 years in a row...

Question 1: What does the new "Max roster size (active players)" field do on the setup tab? It's new this year.

Question 2: What's your auction formula? It's looking pretty crazy on my sheet. We have a $1800 per team auction (12 teams) and when I look at the top 24 QBs I get this:

Tom Brady 290.2 $746

Peyton Manning 248.8 $492

Tony Romo 215.8 $291

Drew Brees 203.2 $213

David Garrard 198.1 $183

Jay Cutler 195.3 $165

Derek Anderson 193.4 $154

Ben Roethlisberger 192.5 $148

Carson Palmer 186.5 $111

Donovan McNabb 184.3 $98

Matt Hasselbeck 173.4 $31

Matt Schaub 168.3 $1

Philip Rivers 168.2 $1

Jake Delhomme 160.7 $1

Aaron Rodgers 160.3 $1

Jon Kitna 157.1 $1

Matt Leinart 154.3 $1

Vince Young 153.4 $1

Marc Bulger 152.2 $1

Eli Manning 152.1 $1

Jason Campbell 145.6 $1

Trent Edwards 122.7 $1

Brodie Croyle 121.8 $1

JaMarcus Russell 109.9 $1

Seems like a pretty steep drop-off... If each of us are going to have 2 QBs (one starter, one backup) why is the second half of the list all $1? I'd rather have 746 Philip Rivers's than one Tom Brady.

Kind regards,

David

Hey David. Welcome back. About time you showed up :headbanger:

1. The Max Bid formula in Buddy had a flaw last year for keeper leagues in cases where owners could keep an optional number of keepers (and ergo keepers + draft rounds did not necessarily equal total roster size). Adding the total roster size variable corrects that.

2. It is a steep drop-off because Buddy assumes all players below whatever baseline player is being used goes for the minimum bid, i.e. baseline player is essentially equal to replacement player, for auctions. Did you switch the overall ranking method to Compiler Auction Recommended? That may give some more suitable results than the default Compiler Draft Pick Recommended overall ranking method.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I was so used to my redraft settings, I forgot about the Auction selection. Actually, I kind of like the spread for "last player drafted" a little better. It isn't as loose.

Kind regards,

David

Hi Mike,

Another question:

Cheatsheet Compiler --> Setup tab --> Current Baseline Rank & Adjusted Baseline Rank

What do these do? I'm assuming that they weigh each position with respect to the other positions (ie WR value with respect to RB, QB, etc.). And I can understand that the "Compiler Draft Pick Recommendation" gives a sort of default weighing to the positions based on your experience with "normal" FF setups. And "Last Starter Drafted", "Median Player Drafted", or "Last Player Drafted" baselines seem to be mathematically tied to the number of starters/backups.

So with 12 teams playing 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, and 1 DEF we get baseline numbers (last starter drafted) like:

QB 12, RB 24, WR 24, TE 12, DEF 12

That's cool. But when I add an OFlex position and specify that OFlex could be either RB or WR then we get:

QB 12, RB 31, WR 29, TE 12, DEF 12

So ummm, why does a RB/WR OFlex position give more baseline weight to RB than WR? Shouldn't RB and WR both be 30?

We have the same issue with "Median Player Drafted" and "Last Player Drafted".

Kind regards,

David

Hey David. The OFlex does not evenly split the expected number of starters at RB and WR down the middle. Rather, the Compiler figures out the top projected players at each position and from there determines exactly how many OFlex starters should be RB, and how many should be WR. Now, if you apply any baseline adjustments or use an overall ranking method with built in adjustments like Compiler Draft Pick Recommended, then it will play with this a little, but all things being equal, in your example the Compiler has figured out that the 31st ranked RB outscores the 30th ranked WR. Therefore the 31st RB got in there as part of the OFlex, and the 30th WR did not.

About 3:00am this morning :doublethumbsup:

Sorry, we forgot to update the post. You can hit Update Projections now.

Also you'll note we now have High/Low ADP data. Thanks to Kevin over at Fantasy Football Calculator for coming through with that request for us.

About 3:00am this morning :dunno:

Sorry, we forgot to update the post. You can hit Update Projections now.

Also you'll note we now have High/Low ADP data. Thanks to Kevin over at Fantasy Football Calculator for coming through with that request for us.

I like the high/low adp data.....good stuff

Bought as soon as it was available.

Last year was my first year ever in fantasy sports, and I was in four yahoo FF leagues. Used CC/DB for them, and finished 2nd in two and 3rd in two. Thanks for an awesome product!

Question:

Backups per team... how does this affect the draft order? Because I could take six backup QB's or one backup at each position, etc. I have the feeling that if I put in specific numbers in Backups per team, the cheatsheets might not be exactly what I want.

Thank you NitroStang96. Glad to have you back, and congrats on your success last year. We'll have to see about adding a 1st place to your fantasy resume this year.

For the backups most leagues do have flexibility about how many you can draft (i.e. all 6 backups are QB), but you want to put in numbers that are reasonable, what you would expect to draft at each position to build your team, and what the league will likely draft on average. More like 6 backups split up as 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE. You can even use decimals if you are uncertain. Say you think half the league will draft a backup TE and half will draft a backup K. Consider changing the above example to 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 0.5 TE, 0.5 K.

The backups do not have an extreme impact on the overall rankings, but they do have some impact. If the numbers input are not reasonable, then it will cause the overall rankings to be skewed. If you put in 6 backup QB but 0 backup RB, then the QB are going to be ranked too high in the overall rankings, and RB too low.

The great thing about the Compiler is you can try different scenarios and it crunches the numbers for you. If you run one scenario and the results don't seem quite right to you, then plug in something else, hit Compile Cheatsheets again, and there you go.

Thanks, Mike. That worked out perfectly for me.

Got a couple more questions, since this year I'm in a couple $ leagues :headbanger:

I have a league that has these settings:

POSITION | START | MAX
(QB)	 | 1	 | 2
(RB)	 | 1	 | 4
(WR)	 | 1	 | 6
(TE)	 | 1	 | 3
(RB/WR)  | 1	 | N/A
(WR/TE)  | 1	 | N/A
(D/ST)   | 1	 | 3
(K)	  | 1	 | 2
(BE)	 | 6	 | N/A

16 teams in 4 divisions... how am I going to set it up for the two flex positions?

Thanks, Mike. That worked out perfectly for me.

Got a couple more questions, since this year I'm in a couple $ leagues :pointstosky:

I have a league that has these settings:

POSITION | START | MAX
(QB)	 | 1	 | 2
(RB)	 | 1	 | 4
(WR)	 | 1	 | 6
(TE)	 | 1	 | 3
(RB/WR)  | 1	 | N/A
(WR/TE)  | 1	 | N/A
(D/ST)   | 1	 | 3
(K)	  | 1	 | 2
(BE)	 | 6	 | N/A

16 teams in 4 divisions... how am I going to set it up for the two flex positions?

Since every team is going to aspire to drafting 2 starting RB, you might want to just put a 2 right under the RB starter slot and reduce the O-Flex to 1. So it would be:

Starters: QB = 1, RB = 2, WR = 1, TE = 1, O-Flex = 1 (check WR & TE)

Or, is this PPR by chance? In that case a WR could make a case over a RB. How about we split the first RB/WR flex position?

Starters: QB = 1, RB = 1.5, WR = 1.5, TE = 1, O-Flex = 1 (check WR & TE)

The more I think about it, even if you put 2 in O-Flex and checked off all of RB, WR & TE, the scoring is probably such that it would still give a very equivalent result as if it was limiting the O-Flex at 1 RB only. Again, if PPR it will help with this because more WR will be of value higher than the lower ranked RB. Given there are 16 teams, the O-Flex positions will be almost all WR after the first 16 RB are accounted for, and then say the next 12 (28 total).

The fact you can only have TE at the second O-Flex spot is not going to be a problem. They score so low after the 16 TE starters its going to be all WR at that point anyway.

At this point I'm not sure if I'm helping or making this more confusing. I've given you 3 options. I'd start with the last (2 in O-Flex), run it, and then count and see how many RB, WR and TE fill the 2 O-Flex spots and if those numbers would throw either of the O-Flex conditions offside (i.e. can only have max 16 RB and max 16 TE). Even if it is just offside, you could go with that. Otherwise, try my original 2 suggestions and see which one you think gives better results.

Sorry, Mike - I should have given you some more info. Also, you're confusing the heck out of me :unsure: I'm familiar with CC/DB on the surface, but none of what makes it tick.

Everything in the league is pretty much normal except these facts:

6pt Passing TD

two flexes - RB/WR and WR/TE

16 teams

I might be wrong, but with this scoring and 16 teams I'm going to assume that the QB pool will be completely drafted, that CC/DB will value Brady and Manning in the first round, and that they will both go (at least Brady). After that, I'm confused and don't know exactly how I should set it up.

Anyway, you answered my question for the most part - the 2RB was an obvious good idea, but I previously had it set up for all 3 positions flexed. I currently have it set up like this:

Position  |  QB  |  RB  |  WR  |  TE  |  K   | FLEX | DEF  |Total |
Starters  |  1   |  2   |  1   |  1   |  1   |  1   |  1   |   8  |
Backups   |  .95 | 1.25 | 1.6  |  .85 |  .55 |	  |  .8  |   6  |
Total	 | 1.95 | 3.25 | 2.6  | 1.85 | 1.55 |  1   | 1.8  |  14  |
FLEX	  |	  |	  | XXX  | XXX  |	  |	  |	  |	  |

Gives me these players and values (rounded):

LaDainian Tomlinson 170

Adrian Peterson (MIN) 130

Steven Jackson 99

Tom Brady 96

Brian Westbrook 89

Marion Barber 85

Randy Moss 78

Joseph Addai 74

Willis McGahee 72

Clinton Portis 70

Andre Johnson 64

Maurice Jones-Drew 64

Reggie Wayne 60

Peyton Manning 60

Brandon Marshall 60

Larry Fitzgerald 57

Sorry for the confusion! Going back to read it myself, I realize it is a little confusing. That's what happens when I type without thinking through the whole thing first.

Anyway, you're right, I'm sure all starting QBs will be drafted in your league. Still, after Brady and Manning, you may still choose to wait for value at QB rather than getting too trigger happy for a guy like Palmer just for the fact that after the top tier of QB, a lot of them do score somewhat similar to each other. Keep in mind, you do want someone reliable. I made that mistake before in a 16 team league. Especially at 6 points per TD, and only 1 must have starter at RB, QB is an important position.

The results produced from those settings seem pretty good. What I was trying to say before is, if you go back to your prior settings with starters RB = 1, WR = 1, TE = 1 and 2 O-Flex, checking off all of RB/WR/TE, then hit Compile Cheatsheets and compare those results to your current results. They will probably be fairly similar, and ultimately, go with the one you think makes more sense.

Perfect. You're a great help, Mike. Now I just hope I've got a good estimate of how many backups people will take. I think I do.

Have a good day, man!

Bump for everyone to notice another update is ready, the 7/7 projection update right on schedule.

I also upped the version number to 1.1 as I fixed a few different things brought to my attention with 1.0. You may not have noticed any problems with 1.0 depending on your settings, but just to be safe you don't run into any trouble, download 1.1. Remember you can copy over your league profiles from 1.0 to 1.1 using the Copy League Profiles feature in the Compiler.

Mike,

New to FFToday...and new owner of Compiler. I noticed the following when I set-up my league. I'm in a 14 team auction league, so "yes" I did select the various auction features that you mentioned in previous posts to this thread. When I just updated it, I noticed that my cheat sheet didn't sort them based on the auction values (which I thought it would)...this is how my QBs were sorted (see McNabb??)

1 1 Tom Brady NE 4 350.1 $ 42

2 2 Peyton Manning IND 4 304.4 $ 29

3 3 Tony Romo DAL 10 269.8 $ 20

4 3 Drew Brees NO 9 260.0 $ 17

5 4 Carson Palmer CIN 8 237.9 $ 12

6 4 Derek Anderson CLE 5 243.7 $ 13

7 4 Jay Cutler DEN 8 246.9 $ 14

8 4 Ben Roethlisberger PIT 6 240.3 $ 12

9 4 David Garrard JAC 7 245.5 $ 14

10 4 Matt Hasselbeck SEA 4 220.7 $ 7

11 5 Aaron Rodgers GB 8 207.7 $ 3

12 5 Donovan McNabb PHI 7 230.8 $ 10

13 5 Matt Schaub HOU 8 217.1 $ 6

14 5 Vince Young TEN 6 202.7 $ 2

I also check the box to combine TE and WR, as we are not requiring a TE this year (first time trying that), and I noticed that things looked a little funny, too. Kellen Winslow was rated below Roddy White, but had a higher FFP score and a higher auction value.

17 4 Bobby Engram SEA 4 149.5 $ 17

18 4 Dwayne Bowe KC 6 144.9 $ 16

19 4 Jerricho Cotchery NYJ 5 147.8 $ 16

20 4 Roddy White ATL 7 139.5 $ 14

21 4 Kellen Winslow CLE 5 140.7 $ 15

22 5 Anquan Boldin ARI 7 136.5 $ 13

23 5 Jason Witten DAL 10 132.6 $ 12

24 5 Antonio Gates SD 9 132.5 $ 12

25 5 Santana Moss WAS 10 131.7 $ 12

26 5 Plaxico Burress NYG 4 128.7 $ 11

Did I do something wrong?

Also, I'm getting a "#NUM!" error in the auction value cells for the 2nd and 3rd ranked defenses...not sure why.

Clueless in Chicago

Hi Steve. Welcome aboard! Glad to have you here! Why does someone from Chicago want Millen fired?

If you updated then it should automatically Compile Cheatsheets at the end of that process. That would have been my first guess (didn't Compile after making changes to the settings), but it must be something else. Perhaps there is an error on the scoring tab for DEF messing that up, but that shouldn't impact the QB soring. How about you send me your copy of the Compiler and I'll take a look? compiler@fftoday.com

Will do....and I'm a recent transplant from Detroit...39 years in Michigan following the Lions means that the "Fire Millen" signature will remain for quite some time!