Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

2008 Cheatsheet Compiler/Draft Buddy

Umm...rookie blunder....I didn't realize I had to go back to the update tab and update them....I was just saving profile on the set-up tab....after actually updating it, the sort was correct. Thanks for the timely response.

OK...this is probably obvious, too...but I can't seem to figure it out. After I made some modifications on Compiler to my settings, the auction values changed (as I would have expected). However, on draft buddy, they are still like the original values from my original criteria. I closed and reopened buddy, but it didn't seem to effect it. I didn't notice an update button on the buddy like on compiler...what do I need to do to make sure they are in synch?

OK...this is probably obvious, too...but I can't seem to figure it out. After I made some modifications on Compiler to my settings, the auction values changed (as I would have expected). However, on draft buddy, they are still like the original values from my original criteria. I closed and reopened buddy, but it didn't seem to effect it. I didn't notice an update button on the buddy like on compiler...what do I need to do to make sure they are in synch?

You need to run the Draft Buddy Setup again. If you've already entered keepers or draft picks, then make sure you uncheck the "Clear Keepers and Draft Picks" option on the setup tab in Buddy (right above the Setup button).

Completely understand the Millen chant. I feel for Lions fans.

Gotcha....now I'm rockin' <_<

I’ve been blown away at how close your auction value figures came to our previous year draft results….outstanding!

The only potential glitch I may have…but there may be a way to address it…is that in my league, we can each protect one player from our prior roster for a 10% increase in salary. When people have some good value keepers (like I do with Joseph Addai for $11 this year), it tends to drive up the prices…especially on the 2nd/3rd tier players.

Is there a way for me to plug in the keepers with their new salaries and THEN generate my cheat sheet (so that the extra money available gets distributed more accurately)?

This is a phenomenal tool....I'd love to tell people about it, but I sure don't want others in my league to find :blink: out!!

Ha ha. Thanks Steve. We get that all the time. This is a tough referral business for sure.

What you are going to do is once you have your cheatsheets with all players the way you want them in the Compiler, then open Draft Buddy and hit Setup Draft Buddy. Make sure first in the Compiler you did say it is a keeper league with max keeper of 1 per team. Draft Buddy will open up a keepers tab for you, where you can input the kept players and their cost.

On a few different tabs in Buddy you can turn what we call Inflation on or off. The default should be on. With this on, it will recalculate the auction values based on more or less money available to be spent on the draftable player pool as a result of the keepers. This will keep going all the way through the draft, so if players are going for less than expected, the predicted value of remaining players should go up (there is more money to spend). If players are going for more than expected early, then the predicted value of later players should go down (there is less money to spend).

Thanks...you da man!

I also upped the version number to 1.1 as I fixed a few different things brought to my attention with 1.0. You may not have noticed any problems with 1.0 depending on your settings, but just to be safe you don't run into any trouble, download 1.1. Remember you can copy over your league profiles from 1.0 to 1.1 using the Copy League Profiles feature in the Compiler.

so these are the files I have in my directory:

football_compiler_2008_1.0.xls

football_compiler_2008_1.1.xls

football_draft_buddy_2008_1.0.xls

football_draft_buddy_2008_1.1.xls

I open compiler 1.1, navigate to update tab, and change "Old Cheatsheet Compiler filename"

from

football_compiler_2007_1.1.xls

to

football_compiler_2008_1.0.xls

Run-time error '13':

Type mismatch

How do I import the settings in my 1.0 file to my 1.1 file?

That is how you do it, essentially. Also change the year using the drop-down from 2007 to 2008. Try opening both the old and new at the same time, but make sure you hit Copy League Profiles in the new Compiler file. If you still have trouble then you can email me your old one.

Right next to where you input the filename of the Compiler file you are pulling the profiles from. Yellow box. It should say 2007 by default. Click it and you'll see the drop-down.

For everyone drafting this weekend, I just posted an update to the ADP and depth charts for upload to the Compiler. Projections start to get updated weekly next Thursday. Presumably there will be some halfway decent (non-Brett Favre) NFL news by next week to justify some changes to the projections! <_<

:yawn: What time is it? Just posted the 7/24 update, so hit Update Projections in the Compiler and you're all set. Numerous player notes are now included and will be updated/expanded along with the projections each week as necessary based on the latest news.

Mike thanks again for all that you do for us FF players. This is a great tool and you are more than generous with your time in assisting all of us.

<_<

No, thank you Hossmen. You guys make it possible for me to call "football" a job, which no one I meet in real life understands, but thats fine. Still way better than accounting!

BTW, I came over to post that the 7/31 update is ready. I tried to get Krueger to move Frank Gore up, but he just won't listen!

BTW, I came over to post that the 7/31 update is ready. I tried to get Krueger to move Frank Gore up, but he just won't listen!

Just keep dropping him. :)

8/7 projection update is ready! Gore up! Favre way up! Pennington - down, way down...

8/8 - Pennington back up! Lobbied for a projection update of the MIA QBs. We got Penny on the right team and slotted him into the spot formerly held by McCown. Hit Update Projections.

Hey Mike,

I must be missing something.

Got my compiler all set up and set up the Draft Buddy. I can tell the DB setup work as the stats are current.

I like to draft via the "overall" tab as it has all players (all positions) ranked together.

The tab only has 182 players in total and no DEF or K (same with "overall with notes")

When I look at the "offense" tab, I have 60 QB, 100 RB, 100 WR/TE, 32 DEF and 32 PK, and all the data looks good.

Wondering if you could shed some light? Thanks!

(EDIT: I just went back to my buddy from last year to make sure I wasn't imagining things, and I did have DEF/K on my overall tab last year.)

By the way, a big thanks to you, Last year was my 12th FF season, and my 1st with CC/DB and won the Championship, my first ever.

Hey Chad. Congrats on the win last year! Good stuff!

Back in the Compiler, on the setup tab, there are options to check off to exclude certain positions from the overall rankings. By default I check off K and DEF... my reasoning being that I generally want you guys to draft those positions pretty late in your draft. Its more a "pick a DEF after the first 3-4 or more are drafted, no matter where that might be" and "draft a K in the final rounds no matter what" philosophy than having the Compiler try to peg them at a certain ranking spot relative to the other positions. That said, if you go back to the Compiler, uncheck those options, hit Compile Cheatsheets again, it will update the overall rankings for you. You'll have to run the Draft Buddy Setup again to get those cheatsheets into Buddy.

Given your success last year, maybe I don't want to suggest any changes to your strategy! :pointstosky:

Thanks Mike, perfect!

It's amazing how much you forget in a year.

I do adjust the Baseline factor down for DEF/K to devalue those positions, but like to see them.

Hey Mike-

Couple of quick suggestions for next years CC. Just a few things that might improve the tool, with (I'm guessing) only a small amount of work for you.

1. In the CC, on the cheatsheets page, is there some way to put some sort of break every XX picks, to make it easier to figure draft rounds? I like to use this area alot during my draft and having a break (or a line like you use in the tiering feature) would make it easier to see where the rounds would begin/end.

2. On the same page, you have 3 options for position/color on the cheatsheets. (Standard, I think, is set to RB/WR/TE) Would there be some way to expand this to 6 or 7? This is something thats been on my mind for a few years now, and being in an IDP league all my QB/K/DL/LB/DB are all white and being able to add different colors would make finding/differenciating easier. It would also be beneficial when you try to draft Best Player Available.

Just suggestions...

Thanks again for a great product.

8/14 update is ready. Lots and lots of changes! Its like the thick of the preseason is finally underway or something :music_guitarred:

Hey Mike-

Couple of quick suggestions for next years CC. Just a few things that might improve the tool, with (I'm guessing) only a small amount of work for you.

1. In the CC, on the cheatsheets page, is there some way to put some sort of break every XX picks, to make it easier to figure draft rounds? I like to use this area alot during my draft and having a break (or a line like you use in the tiering feature) would make it easier to see where the rounds would begin/end.

2. On the same page, you have 3 options for position/color on the cheatsheets. (Standard, I think, is set to RB/WR/TE) Would there be some way to expand this to 6 or 7? This is something thats been on my mind for a few years now, and being in an IDP league all my QB/K/DL/LB/DB are all white and being able to add different colors would make finding/differenciating easier. It would also be beneficial when you try to draft Best Player Available.

Just suggestions...

Thanks again for a great product.

Hey Guru. Thanks for the comments. On point 2, I currently can't put in more than 3 colors because of the limitations of Excel. I'd love to, but we're stuck at 3. On point 1, you'd have to go through the overall list manually and divide it up at 12, 24, 36, etc. picks (or whatever works for your size of league). Maybe the best thing is to input a solid border like the tier lines on the other cheatsheet?

1. Is the Compiler supposed to communicate/transfer info to the Draft Buddy?

The updated Depth chart does not change in Draft Buddy i.e. Pennington still

shows with the Jets! How do I fix that (copy the entire Depth chart from

Compiler)?

2. When I re-rank players in Draft Buddy, the Overall list in DB does not change

-- shouldn't it?

3. The only way I have found to re-rank players is to change the auction value

-- is that correct? Also, when I change the auction value in the "Offense"

section in DB it does not change the value on the overall list making it

useless.

Thanks for the help.

Frank FitzPatrick

Hi Frank. I just replied to your email. I'll copy the response here for other people's benefit.

1. You need to hit Setup Draft Buddy to pull over the latest updated cheatsheets and other data, including depth charts, from the Compiler to Buddy. Since your Buddy is set up for an auction, you must have done that once already. Each time we update, if you want to get the newly updated cheatsheets and other info hit Setup again. The Compiler and Buddy do not have a constant connection, which would cause some issues.

2. It doesn't change. The re-rank is a simple/quick way to move some players up and down, but once you're in Buddy there is a disconnect between the positional rankings and the overall rankings. Say I want to move my 10th QB up to 5th. How would that move tell the Compiler how far to move the QB on the overall rankings? It can't.

The way to keep the positional rankings and overall rankings consistent at all times is to, instead of using re-rank in Buddy, alter the projections in the Compiler. This would happen on the position tabs in the Compiler, and you would need to hit Compile Cheatsheets again after to see the impact of you changes.

A couple notes...

- if you alter your projections in the Compiler, and then hit Update Projections, it will wipe out your changes because it is putting new projections over top of your old ones

- if you use the re-rank featuer in Buddy, and then hit Setup Draft Buddy again, it will take away your re-rank changes because it is putting the latest cheatsheet from the Compiler over top of your old one

3. For auctions, yes change the dollar value. When you hit re-rank it sorts by dollar value first, then tier, then rank I believe.

Hi Frank. I just replied to your email. I'll copy the response here for other people's benefit.

1. You need to hit Setup Draft Buddy to pull over the latest updated cheatsheets and other data, including depth charts, from the Compiler to Buddy. Since your Buddy is set up for an auction, you must have done that once already. Each time we update, if you want to get the newly updated cheatsheets and other info hit Setup again. The Compiler and Buddy do not have a constant connection, which would cause some issues.

Well I feel like a retard now. I came here to complain about how horrible out of date the draft buddy was. After I spent some time reviewing and customizing rankings in the Compiler which was great, I got halfway through our live draft using the Draft Buddy and I start see players missing, Favre was missing, Chris Perry missing, players on wrong teams, etc. Kind of screwed me up a bit but I still managed. Next draft (next week) I'll know to do the Setup first.

This is my first time trying to use the compiler and no matter what projections I try always get some scewy results. I get Willie Parker and MJD in the top 10 overall and I've even seen Kevin Smith sometimes ends up at #13. I just tried 50% 2007 stats and 50% 2006 stats and Compiler Recommended player rankings and it gives me Kitna as the #6 QB.

What am I doing wrong? My $ league draft is coming up this weekend and I'd love to get this figured out beforehand. Thanks.

Hi rangdangdoo. Based on stats from the past 2 years, if your league scores well for yardage and does not deduct much for TDs, then Kitna probably righfully belongs as the #6 QB. He threw for over 4,000 yards each of the last 2 years.

Jon Kitna

Why not just set the allocation key to 100% FF Today Projections, and hit Compile Cheatsheets? It sounds like maybe you did do that, but didn't like Kevin Smith ranked so high. That is more an issue with the projections, then the Compiler not working properly. It would seem your scoring system does score more points for yardage than the average league, with Kitna (based on prior year stats), Kevin Smith and Willie Parker moving up the rankings. There isn't anything wrong with that, if that is the case. Make sure to check your scoring is input correctly on the scoring tab.

Mike brings up an excellent point here about the proper use of the Compiler/Buddy as I see it. First off, there are many different types of leagues out there. If you find that people are mioving up in your custom rankings then it's likely that your league doesn't conform to the "norm" for scoring which is what every other ranking you've seen on every other website does. This is where the Compiler/Buddy become invaluable, assuming you trust the projections to an extent. So suddenly based off your scoring system you see the Kevin Smith is ranked high. Does that mean you draft him in the first or second round? Absolutely not!!! What it does is identify an area of opportunity for you that the rest of your league doesn't know about. In the 5th round when the herd of sheep is drafting based off their generic industry rankings you'll know that it may be team to snatch Kevin Smith (perhaps a round early) because you know in your scoring system he projects very high. If you reach for him to soon you lose value but timed properly I guarantee you win your league. I saw a draft a couple of days ago where the defending champ in a league drafted Kevin Smith 11th overall!!! The room immediately ridiculed him and his defense was that he was very high on Smith and that he would have the last laugh. What he couldn't get through his thick skull was that Smith's ADP value is in round 6. If he felt that highly on Smith he could've reached for him in round 4 and still drafted some proven studs in the early rounds. The moral of the story is don't just look at rankings and projections and use them as law. Use your own analysis and judgement based off the information you have in order to always draft the BEST VALUE at each pick. I've used the Compiler and Buddy for a number of years now with great results and I would never draft without it.

Just wanted to throw in my .02 None of this is to say that your settings may be inputted incorrectly, as that's still a possiblity, but this little rant was more directed towards the masses as a general rule of thumb on how to "analyze" the Compiler data.

Good luck to all this season. My draft is September 2nd and I can't wait!!!

Hi rangdangdoo. Based on stats from the past 2 years, if your league scores well for yardage and does not deduct much for TDs, then Kitna probably righfully belongs as the #6 QB. He threw for over 4,000 yards each of the last 2 years.

Jon Kitna

Why not just set the allocation key to 100% FF Today Projections, and hit Compile Cheatsheets? It sounds like maybe you did do that, but didn't like Kevin Smith ranked so high. That is more an issue with the projections, then the Compiler not working properly. It would seem your scoring system does score more points for yardage than the average league, with Kitna (based on prior year stats), Kevin Smith and Willie Parker moving up the rankings. There isn't anything wrong with that, if that is the case. Make sure to check your scoring is input correctly on the scoring tab.

Thanks for the replies guys. Like I said, this is my first time trying this. I'm not trying to blame the compiler for the results. I just don't understand what I'm doing yet. I'm a little techno-challenged.

As for scoring, what is typical scoring for yardage? My league gives a point for 10 yards rushing or receiving. It's been that way for the 6 years I've been in the league and from what I've seen is pretty standard. It's a ppr league as well. Passing scoring is 1 point per 30 passing, 1 pt per completion, 6 pts per TD, and -2 per INT.

Thank you BT2. Well said.

That scoring is pretty standard rangdangdoo, for the rushing and receiving yards. The passing yardage is a little light (usually 1 per 20 or 1 per 25 yards), but most league don't give a point for completions.

Thank you BT2. Well said.

That scoring is pretty standard rangdangdoo, for the rushing and receiving yards. The passing yardage is a little light (usually 1 per 20 or 1 per 25 yards), but most league don't give a point for completions.

Ok, I have another question. And again, please forgive me if this sounds stupid. I read about the compiler in a magazine and in that article the AVT was mentioned. I really like the idea of using historical averages and plugging players into those rankings. It said the compiler could run this using the stats for the last 2 years and that it would project stats for my league, not players. Everywhere I look though I see players. If I'm thinking correctly, I should just run a mix of 50% 2006 stats and 50% 2007 stats and then take the names out of the projections. So, it would be the #6 QB that scores an average of 580 points and not Kitna. Is that right? Or am I even worse at this than I thought?

The 8/28 update is up! Only one more to go! Woo-hoo! :cheers:

Mike, the Cheatsheet Compiler/Draft Buddy is an awesome product. I like the player notes and other new features. I'll keep coming back to purchase this product for as long as I play fantasy football. :doublethumbsup: :cheers:

Ok, I have another question. And again, please forgive me if this sounds stupid. I read about the compiler in a magazine and in that article the AVT was mentioned. I really like the idea of using historical averages and plugging players into those rankings. It said the compiler could run this using the stats for the last 2 years and that it would project stats for my league, not players. Everywhere I look though I see players. If I'm thinking correctly, I should just run a mix of 50% 2006 stats and 50% 2007 stats and then take the names out of the projections. So, it would be the #6 QB that scores an average of 580 points and not Kitna. Is that right? Or am I even worse at this than I thought?

Mike, can you help me out with this? My $ league draft is Saturday :shocking: and I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Thanks.

You seem to have the concept of AVT down. The problem is the Compiler is specifically designed to perform what you are asking. The confusion from the article is that Matt (Gut Check) indicated that all the information to do AVT is in the Compiler. That is true. However, it is not designed to do everything you are looking for. What is it exactly you would like to accomplish? You want to sort the player stats from each year from best to worst (fantasy points), average them, and then slot the players to each position ranking. Is that it?