Sign in to follow this  
fanfootballtn

McFadden

Put McFadden behind that Minny O-Line and he would EXPLODE... In Raider land, not so much.

Talent wise there are scouts who like DMac more then AD, because AD has injury history. It's hard to compare the two because their situations are different.

Both have inexperienced QB's

Both have decent, but not great WR

AD has great o-line / Dmac does not

AD has a great D to get him the ball back more / DMac does not

We could go on and on.

I'm interested who those scouts are. Can you tell me who they are by name so I can see what you read?

an anlge i've never heard discussed or asked of mcfadden during all this, especially regarding his lack of running toughness:

was he saving himself? was he preserving himself from critical injury to preserve/lower the risk of losing the future nfl life, $$$$, etc?

for example, we've come to know AD is a warrior, a guy who runs like it is his last play on every play, and has no issues with contact and sacrificing his body during any and every play. but we've seen even great players (jerry rice, marvin harrison, barry sanders, emmitt smith) learn to get tackled and manuever themselves during tackles to deflect the brunt of blows and endure the least amount of punishment possible to preserve their bodies and exted longevity.

this guy has a large family, loads of talent, and a $$$$$ payday on the horizon. maybe he is mum on the fact that he was simply making sure he could live to see it. [there arent many willis mcgahee's around: he was a surefire top5, dropped to 23, and had a remarkable return to form following a tremendous injury his final collegiate game; very lucky and fortunate.] i even recall draft day, as mcfadden approaches commissioner goodell on the stage, the commish says, "congratulations, whats does this mean for you and your family", perhaps an allusion.

something outside the box. :dunno: :doublethumbsup:

If what you are suggesting is true thats a much bigger red flag than anything Ive seen on McFadden thus far. If a guy was saving himself in college what do you think he's gonna do now that he has 25 mil guaranteed.

But I dont believe that for a second. Plus IMO you cant be highly successful at the game of football on any level, particularly at RB, if you're playing not to get hurt. The players you mentioned were good at not exposing themselves to big hits which is a skill. But thats not what were talking about w/ McFadden.

We're talkin about basic fundamentals of leg drive and running behind your pads and w/ leverage. Nobody is questioning his toughness just whether or not he possesses these fundamental skills. Obviously the guy is gifted enough to have been tremendously successful without them so far but the NFL has a funny way of exposing those types of things.

i hear you both, i concur as well. it was just a supposition, linked together on some data.

i agree u cant play the game "not to get hurt", or u may invariably increase your chances of doing so; but, it could be just attitude that "im doing everything here, for nothing; at least now, im gettng paid, and its not all just me here".

i guess im in accord with both of you (i think) that a lot of his deficiencies are correctable, not innate traits ie vision, instinct.

I'm interested who those scouts are. Can you tell me who they are by name so I can see what you read?

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Floyd Reese, the old GM for the Titans. Now before we get carried away, I said because AD has injury risks. So maybe it's more of a GM concern then a talent scouts concern.

Put McFadden behind that Minny O-Line and he would EXPLODE... In Raider land, not so much.

Talent wise there are scouts who like DMac more then AD, because AD has injury history. It's hard to compare the two because their situations are different.

Both have inexperienced QB's

Both have decent, but not great WR

AD has great o-line / Dmac does not

AD has a great D to get him the ball back more / DMac does not

We could go on and on.

I don't know that it's so much their situations are different as that they are different. Peterson is a rb who happens to possess physical skills that aren't packaged together all that often. I view McFadden as a great athlete that plays rb - and qb, and split wide, and any other position that Kiffin may now come up with. How will that translate to the NFL and in particular, ff? I don't know for sure, but for those that think he's destined for stardom let me ask you something. How many great rbs have come into the league and the first thing the head caoch is talking about is how he can't wait to move him all over the field? You can talk all you want about creating mismatches and getting him in space and all the rest, but I think it says something about his shortcomings as a rb. I'm sure he'll have his share of highlight reel runs, but I think he'll go far too early in drafts for my liking. But that would be a good thing, right?

Here's what I don't get...McFadden dominates the SEC every year w/ Casey ###### or somewhat of that caliber) at QB? Arkansas gave opponents zero reason to respect the pass (even w/ a pretty decent WR in Marcus Monk). Now, I have no interest in making the "if he can beat the SEC, he can beat the NFL" argument, but I agree w/ a previous poster that said he will be what people think Bush was going to be. It may take a while to get to that point though, as Lane Kiffin seems content right now to use him like he used to employ Bush.