Sign in to follow this  
Kilroy

Clinton Portis: RB, Washington Redskins

Clinton Portis: RB, Washington Redskins  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Will Portis be Steppin' Up or Steppin' Down in 2008?

• Steppin' Up
    • Steppin' Down
    • Stayin' Put

A second round pick in 2002, Portis posted terrific numbers his first two years in the league. While a member of the Broncos he started 12 games as a rookie, rushing for 1508 yards and 15 touchdowns while averaging 5.5 yards per carry. He also added two more scores on 33 receptions for 364 yards.

During his sophomore campaign Portis again averaged 5.5 yards per rush, finishing with 1591 yards on the ground. He also reached double-digits in touchdowns for a second consecutive season, punching it into the end zone 14 times. He reached these totals playing in just 13 games while adding 314 yards on 38 receptions.

Despite the tremendous success Portis had in Denver, the team was willing to trade him before the start of the 2004 season in exchange for Champ Bailey of the Washington Redskins.

Portis' first season with the 'Skins wasn't nearly as impressive as his first two with the Broncos. He set career highs in both carries (343) and receptions (40) that year, but his yardage and touchdown totals dropped significantly. At just 3.8 yards per carry Portis finished the season with 1315 yards on the ground and 5 total touchdowns.

The following season Portis would bounce back with the type of outing he had become expectant of. He eclipsed the career high mark he set in carries just a year before, rushing 352 times for 1516 yards and 11 touchdowns. He added another 216 yards on 30 receptions.

Portis' 2006 season would be cut short due to injuries. A shoulder injury suffered during the pre-season left many questioning how reliable he'd be during the year. A broken hand would later sideline him for the duration of the season. In 8 games played he finished with 523 yards rushing and 7 touchdowns. The injuries suffered, along with Ladell Betts' performance in relief of him, left many questioning what to expect from Portis in the year to follow.

In 2007 however Portis would again provide another strong outing to his career. Depsite numerous injuries to the Redskins offensive line, the sixth-year veteran managed 1262 yards on the ground and 11 rushing touchdowns. He also set new career highs in receptions (47) and receiving yards (389).

Entering the new season the questions surrounding Portis are the same that surround the entire Redskins offense. How will he perform in new head coach Jim Zorn's system? Will QB Jason Campbell learn Zorn's system quickly enough to take pressure away from the Redskins rushing attack? Will the O-line be able to stay healthy this season and provide better run blocking? Let the board here what you think.

Stepping up. 3rd in total yards from scrimmage behind a make shift line. Now he is in a west coast systemand we see how elite backs excel in the west coast. i.e. Shaun Alexander, Brian Westbrook, hell go back to roger craig. only 27.

Stepping up. 3rd in total yards from scrimmage behind a make shift line. Now he is in a west coast systemand we see how elite backs excel in the west coast. i.e. Shaun Alexander, Brian Westbrook, hell go back to roger craig. only 27.

he is barely making the first round in most mocks...I like

I like Portis I think he is going to have his best year since being traded to the skins i see 1400 yds 35 rec. and 290 yds plus 12 td's

As a Skins homer Im cautiously optimistic about Portis this year but I voted for stayin put. I love the idea of Zorns version of the WC offense creating more space for CP to run but I have some concerns as well.

1. Can the O-line stay healthy. The Skins actually have a very good O-line if everyone is healthy. Unfortunatley that hasnt been the case for really the last 4 years. Now they are getting up there in age with every starter being over the age of 30. And the depth really isnt there. Hopefully this is the year they all stay healthy but the odds arent in their favor.

2. This is not only Zorns' first season as a HC but its also the first time he will ever call plays as a coach. They also have a first time offensive coordinator who kind of irked me when he said he didnt want play calling responsiblity. I like what I've seen of Zorn so far but he's doing two very difficuly things for the first time in his life. There will be some growing pains.

3. The mileage on Clinton is a bit of a concern. He's still young and wont turn 27 until the week the season starts but he has carried the ball at least 325 times in 3 of the last 4 years. Having watched almost every single carry I know that he's earned every yard and taken some good punishment with them. He clearly does not have the same type of eplosiveness that he had in his first 2 or 3 years in the league.

I still love Clinton as my NFL team's RB and in FF. I think he is a solid first round pick but Im tempering my optimism just a bit.

3. The mileage on Clinton is a bit of a concern. He's still young and wont turn 27 until the week the season starts but he has carried the ball at least 325 times in 3 of the last 4 years. Having watched almost every single carry I know that he's earned every yard and taken some good punishment with them. He clearly does not have the same type of eplosiveness that he had in his first 2 or 3 years in the league.

I believe this is the biggest question mark surrounding Portis' production. Does Zorn know the limits on how to use Portis? Is he gonna ride him into the ground, or will he pull back too much and not give him enough?

It's the delicate balancing act that rookie coaches need to learn and learn quickly.

Andy Reid, as a rookie coach, also had a young QB he was looking to groom, that was also learning the WCO. In that backfield he had Duce Staley. Reid rode Duce, rode him hard, in order to give his young QB a break.

The obvious differences here is that Campbell has a little more experience, Portis is a way better back than Staley ever was, and that Washington has a line that can block.

He's stayin' put.

I can't really expect much more out of Portis, although he's too talented to expect much less. I'll be happy to draft him in the mid-to-late first round.

How do yall see his catch totals this year....47 was a big surprise last year.

any chance he gets close to that this year again in the west coast offense.... :mad:

thoughts??

latley Portis has been really good in odd years and really so so in even years. Steppin down.

latley Portis has been really good in odd years and really so so in even years. Steppin down.

oh no..... :thumbsup:

oh no..... :thumbsup:

The odd an even year method in drafting is fool proof! in 04 Portis went from stud in Denver to average in washington despite getting a TON of carries , in 05 he had a great season , in 06 he was inuured all year , in 07 he returned to being a total stud.

The odd an even year method in drafting is fool proof! in 04 Portis went from stud in Denver to average in washington despite getting a TON of carries , in 05 he had a great season , in 06 he was inuured all year , in 07 he returned to being a total stud.

so does he get hurt or just plain suck this year moz.....?? :thumbsup:

man i hope your wrong.... :banana:

I voted staying put. I think he's hit his ceiling, which is still pretty good. I can't see him suddenly having a break-out year that tops last year's performance. The team around him is basically the same, and they'll be learning a new system. Despite what the coach says, I think Betts still gets plenty of touches to keep Portis fresh. They don't have that many playmakers on that team, and a wise coach would make sure to keep their biggest weapon in Portis healthy.

There was acutally a WR who kept this trend for several years. Cant think of the name now. I drafted him in what was suppose to be a good year and of course he was the SUCK.

As a Skins fan I hope Portis doesnt follow this trend but for the sake of karma Im not gonna say anything about your great scientific approach. Now what the hell was the name of that WR?

There was acutally a WR who kept this trend for several years. Cant think of the name now. I drafted him in what was suppose to be a good year and of course he was the SUCK.

As a Skins fan I hope Portis doesnt follow this trend but for the sake of karma Im not gonna say anything about your great scientific approach. Now what the hell was the name of that WR?

wasnt it santana moss a year or two ago??

Randy Moss!@#!

Year - Yards

2003 1632

2004 767

2005 1005

2006 553

2007 1493

Randy Moss!@#!

Year - Yards

2003 1632

2004 767

2005 1005

2006 553

2007 1493

Not good news for those planning on taking Randy in the first round. :music_guitarred:

i thought it was eric moulds back in the day....dont have stats but pretty sure about it. :music_guitarred:

i thought it was eric moulds back in the day....dont have stats but pretty sure about it. :music_guitarred:

Bingo!

Thats who it was. Thanks.

Thats funny about Moss, I hadnt even looked at his last few years like that. But I think he had a pretty decent track record before an injury riddled last year in Minny and playing in the bed and breakfast Raider offense.

wasnt it santana moss a year or two ago??

Nah, I would have remembered Moss as a Skins fan but his track record is like that too. 03' and 05' he had great years and was sup bar in 04' and 06'. Last year he kind of bucked the trend w/ another sub par year. Mostly due to a nagging hammy.

Hoepfully both he and Portis produce big time in 08'.

:banana:

Stepping Up ~

I see Portis as a top 5 RB this year...

The guy is a workhorse that continually goes under-valued in drafts despite putting up consistent numbers year in year out.

Since entering the league in 2002, Portis has 1,710 regular season carries; which is the 5th most over that span (despite missing half of last year):

1. LaDainian Tomlinson (2002-2007) -- 2,024 carries
  2. Edgerrin James (2002-2007) -- 1,933 carries
  3. Jamal Lewis (2002-2007) -- 1,809 carries
  4. Shaun Alexander (2002-2007) -- 1,801 carries
  5. Clinton Portis (2002-2007) -- 1,710 carries

Portis lead the league in carries last year at 325 and was 4th in the league with 11TD's on the ground... I expect to see another 300+ carries which undoubtedly should have him in 1300+ yard range and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 15 TD's as he has a nose for the end zone. I think we are safe to say that the sharing the rock with Ladell Betts is a thing of the past as first yr HC Jim Zorn will look to pound the rock.

I'm actually hoping for a later pick this year, in the 7-9 range and landing either Portis or LJ and grabbing a solid RB (McGahee) on the turn.

washington post states portis will be leaned on heavy this year like sean alexander was from 2001=2004 in holmgrens seattle offense introducing the west coast.

also portis has a raise, no offseason surgeries, and zorn stated portis will not have the freedom of calling himself out of the game. :nono:

zorn could run him in the dirt this year.... :lol: