Sign in to follow this  
martyj13

Maroney or Reggie Bush?

PPR? What's the 2nd and 3rd round look like? Who else is on the board?

4th round, it doesn't matter who is there if ppr, take the Bushman.

No PPR.

still Bush - you saw what Maroney did in a crowded backfield with Faulk, Sammy Morris, and Heath Evans...he did NOTHING (his only production came late in the year after Morris went down to injury). NOW ADD LAMONT JORDAN to the backfield. While i think the Pats will be smart and actually establish a running game this year, i dont think Maroney will get more than 200 carries all season, and with Vrabel, Evans stealing goalline carries (and the passing game) and Faulk stealing catches, Morris and co. stealing carries, he just doesn't have a lot of value...

Bush and don't look back. As a die hard Saints fan I am a little biased, but having Shockey in the lineup will make all the Bush naysayers shut up. Look what Tiki did having Shockey blocking for him on the outside. Now imagine Tiki with more speed.

Standard 10 team league.

Have #1 pick. Looking @ 4th round:

Maroney or Bush?

In a 10 team snake draft that's the 40th pick, last one of the 4th round.

Neither Bush or Maroney will be there.

EDGe, Julius, Rudi, Selvin, or Lenwhale will be available.

TJ or FWP if you're lucky.

That or take reach on a rookie like McFadden or Stewart.

I agree with the above that neither player will be there, but if they somehow are I would go with Maroney. Bush is fragile and will see 15-20 carries/game. If it were a PPR format I would be singing a different tune this year.

I think the Pats establish a more balanced attack this year giving Maroney potential for a big year. If anyone truly believes that one Lamont Jordan is going to have any say on Maroney's production, they are truly crazy.

If anyone truly believes that one Lamont Jordan is going to have any say on Maroney's production, they are truly crazy.

Did you think Sammy Morris would take touches away from Maroney last year? NE doesn't sign people to sit the bench. Jordan is a bigger, faster version of Kevin Faulk. (When he isn't suffering with a balky back) NE will establish the run game earlier in the season this year, but they are going to do it with a hydra-like running game of all of those guys. It was quite obvious having Maroney fresh for late in the season/playoffs worked wonders last year, so I see no reason why they won't do the same thing this year. Maroney will get the majority of the touches % wise, but there are simply going to be too many hands in the NE running game cookie jar to make him anything more than a low end #2 and a frustrating start from week to week.

Did you think Sammy Morris would take touches away from Maroney last year? NE doesn't sign people to sit the bench. Jordan is a bigger, faster version of Kevin Faulk. (When he isn't suffering with a balky back) NE will establish the run game earlier in the season this year, but they are going to do it with a hydra-like running game of all of those guys. It was quite obvious having Maroney fresh for late in the season/playoffs worked wonders last year, so I see no reason why they won't do the same thing this year. Maroney will get the majority of the touches % wise, but there are simply going to be too many hands in the NE running game cookie jar to make him anything more than a low end #2 and a frustrating start from week to week.

I agree with you a bit about the Pats spreading the RB's touches around, I personally just do not think Lamont Jordan will play a role at all. Just my opinion, I of course could be wrong.

I know things can change from year-to-year...and I certainly expect the Patriots to run more this year. But they won't be turning into a "run-first" team all of a sudden with Brady and Moss there. So let's look closer at Maroney's roles:

-2nd option between the 20's = before Morris went down, Morris was the more valuable back...I don't have the #s in front of me but I think Morris actually had more carries before he went down. Throw in Jordan and I don't see more than 10 carries/game to go around

-No option out of the backfield = with as much as the Pats throw the ball, maroney had just 8 catches!!! Why? because of Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Kevin Faulk - Maroney adds virtually no value in the receiving game.

-3rd/4th option at the goalline = when Brady wasn't throwing TD passes to Randy Moss, it was either to Vrabel or handing off to Heath Evans. The Pats simply have better options in the red zone than handing the ball off to a fragile time-sharing RB

I agree with you a bit about the Pats spreading the RB's touches around, I personally just do not think Lamont Jordan will play a role at all. Just my opinion, I of course could be wrong.

Don't worry, you are. :banana:

Don't worry, you are. :clap:

Way to go and get your 11th post in there.

The Pats RBs from a Pats homer:

everything in NE is situational football. Who's best for what situations? here's how I'd break it down:

Maroney - the best pure runner on the team. Needs improvement in pass catching and blocking. Durability issues still remain.

K Faulk - The best pass catcher out of the backfield. Very good open space runner. Big play ability. Very good blocker. Smart, savvy veteran. Locker room leader. Age and durability could be an issue.

S Morris - excellent between tackles runner. Best short yardage guy on team. Not much pass catching ability at all. Decent blocker. Healing from sternum injury, unknown if sternum will be an issue.

L Jordan - Good Pass catcher, Good runner, Good Blocker. Not #1 in any category but maybe the best all around. Can backup either Faulk or Maroney. Returning from injuries last year (back?). Looks healthy.

H Evans - short running, FB type with decent pass catching ability. Not as effective in short yardage as S Morris, more of a hammer than a runner, but adds hands element.

No NE RB lost a fumble last year. ZERO.

I believe NE will use them all.

If/when one breaks, just plug in another.

NE does not want 1 feature RB. They want to give as many looks as possible. They want to confuse, cause mismatches, etc.

Maroney will probably have a huge game here or there... and then be invisible the next game simply because the gameplan doesn't call for his skillset.

between Bush and Maroney, I take Reggie Bush every time. Bush will be a key part of NO's gameplan every game.

I would be worried as a Bush owner.

P. Thomas might get a chance sometime this season to prove what he got. I'm sure they'll see if that 100 rec and 100 rushing yard performance against da BEARS was the real deal.