Sign in to follow this  
Bill E.

Investment Question

I got a cold call from Wachovia today. No acct there so I do not know how they got my cell #. They said they have a 4.5% guaranteed 18 month CD $5K min. I made an appt to go in Monday. I already maxed out my roth and max my 401k. I have money in a couple of savings acct making like 2% . I do not want to do much with it since it is kind of an emergency fund. This CD would be FDIC insurred right? I would not be buying Wachovia stocks or anything like that right? I just have not heard of anyone paying that much on a CD. I am guessing it is just to get your money in their bank so in 18 mos. they can start paying me 1.5%

Any thoughts?

I got a cold call from Wachovia today. No acct there so I do not know how they got my cell #. They said they have a 4.5% guaranteed 18 month CD $5K min. I made an appt to go in Monday. I already maxed out my roth and max my 401k. I have money in a couple of savings acct making like 2% . I do not want to do much with it since it is kind of an emergency fund. 1, This CD would be FDIC insurred right? 2. I would not be buying Wachovia stocks or anything like that right? I just have not heard of anyone paying that much on a CD. 3. I am guessing it is just to get your money in their bank so in 18 mos. they can start paying me 1.5%

Any thoughts?

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. At the end of 18 mths, your money become liquid again and you can do whatever you wish with it.

GL

ING, an online bank, gives out about 3.3% interest on their checking accounts. Money is earning good money while being as liquid as possible.

ING, an online bank, gives out about 3.3% interest on their checking accounts. Money is earning good money while being as liquid as possible.

I had money there for a few years. The difference between the savings account interest and CDs was never enough for me to tie up the money becaause I wasn't sure I wouldn't need it soon. If you shop around, I believe other banks offer higher interest than ING though.

If you feel sure you don't need the money soon, the CD would be better. However, even 2% difference on 5k is only around $100/year.

Thanks all. I was out of town all weekend so I did not get to view responses till tonight.

actually ING blows compared to other online banks and they consistency give lower rates than other online banks, they are at 3% right now

What are some other online banks? I actually haven't really heard of others. People who i talk about these types of things trust ING.

What are some other online banks? I actually haven't really heard of others. People who i talk about these types of things trust ING.

What's there to trust you are FDIC insured under 100k

Emigrantdirect

e-trade

hsbc

are some others

:thumbsup: