Sign in to follow this  
jmueller44

Chris Perry "Named" Starting RB for Cincy

According to Coach Lewis, if the Season started today Chris Perry would be the starting RB in Cincy.

http://rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/p...d=2637&nc=0

Coach Marvin Lewis says Chris Perry would be the Bengals' starting tailback if the season began today.

It's unclear whether this is due to Rudi Johnson's lingering hamstring injury or an official depth chart change. We'd cautiously guess it's the latter. Perry has been the Bengals' most powerful runner in the preseason and Lewis loves the power run game. Although Cincinnati will likely use a committee this season, Perry has the most fantasy upside in this backfield.

It also appears that Rudi now needs to prove himself again before he gets the chance to have significant game time:

http://rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/p...t=NFL&id=50

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis says he'd "have to see Rudi play and practice, practice, practice and then play" for Johnson to regain his starting gig.

Johnson barely practiced in training camp, is still hurt, and hasn't played at all in the preseason. He's a late-round flier at best any longer who could be as low as third on the depth chart behind Chris Perry and Kenny Watson.

So where does this move Chris Perry in the RB Ranks?

Top 20?

20-25?

26-30?

Lower still?

I'd say he falls into about the Low to Mid Twenties.

But that is without going through a complete breakdown of projections for him as the starter.

im currently drafting a 12-team, non-ppr, 4pt-passTD/6pt-otherTD, start 2qb, 3hb, 3wr.....

is perry a 6th rounder? i have:

1-manning

2-ryan grant

3-turner

4-tjhoush

5-lendale white

[in my league last yr, rudi+watson netted points ~jlewis/portis. ]

This is just another nail in the coffin... Anyone that has payed close attention to this situation knew that Perry was going to be the man this year. Sorry Rudi, your days are over!

The writing was on the walls a long time ago..

Rudi Johnson is done. Moving Perry into the starting lineup is actually a good thing for the entire Cincy offense, Palmer especially. The main problem with Rudi, other than he sucked, was how bad he sucked catching the ball out of the backfield. If Perry is finally healthy, he can really add a great dimension to that offens, as Palmer's safety valve - something Palmer hasn't had in a very long time, maybe ever.

The writing was on the walls a long time ago..

Rudi Johnson is done. Moving Perry into the starting lineup is actually a good thing for the entire Cincy offense, Palmer especially. The main problem with Rudi, other than he sucked, was how bad he sucked catching the ball out of the backfield. If Perry is finally healthy, he can really add a great dimension to that offens, as Palmer's safety valve - something Palmer hasn't had in a very long time, maybe ever.

Man, the Bengals offense could be scary good this season. Housh, CJ (when he's back), Henry, Perry out of the backfield, and Utect is good for some catches over the middle.

Makes Carson Palmer look like a draft day steal.

Man, the Bengals offense could be scary good this season. Housh, CJ (when he's back), Henry, Perry out of the backfield, and Utect is good for some catches over the middle.

Makes Carson Palmer look like a draft day steal.

Yes he does.

Funny thing though; I'm in a Semi-keeper league, that basically keeps 2 players, but we can start 2 QBs. Obviously the QBs are at a premium.

So I have to pick 2 between Tony Romo, Carson Palmer and Marion Barber. What a ridiculous choice that is. I also even have TO, but he's really not an option.

Earlier in the offseason, I thought for sure that my other keeper (Romo is a lock, obviously) was going to be Marion Barber. But the more and more talk I hear out of Cincy, I might just have to keep Palmer - as there is no way I will pull another QB anywhere close to his level.

Its a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.

Yes he does.

Funny thing though; I'm in a Semi-keeper league, that basically keeps 2 players, but we can start 2 QBs. Obviously the QBs are at a premium.

So I have to pick 2 between Tony Romo, Carson Palmer and Marion Barber. What a ridiculous choice that is. I also even have TO, but he's really not an option.

Earlier in the offseason, I thought for sure that my other keeper (Romo is a lock, obviously) was going to be Marion Barber. But the more and more talk I hear out of Cincy, I might just have to keep Palmer - as there is no way I will pull another QB anywhere close to his level.

Its a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.

Yeah, I'm drafting in a dynasty startup league next week. I will definately be targeting palmer. I can see 10 years of top 5 level production for a relatively low price. Snag a Cutler as a backup, and I like my QB position for the future.

I've got Perry 23rd at RB in a PPR since this news broke. While he has allot of upside in that offence, his injury history and Rudi's presence limit him. Even if Perry starts, Rudi's not going away. Perry's injury history ensures that he'll be spelled early and often by Rudi and Watson.

Perry is by far the most talented RB on that team. In fact, IMO he's one of the most talented RB's in the league. I would actually rank him in the top 10 (talent wise). He is a very fun guy to watch. Unfortunatley, he just can not stay healthy. With his kind of injury history, even if he is named the starter, i would think the coaching staff would probably try to limit his carries. While I would love to see what he could do if he could stay healthy, he is a definite gamble. I personally couldn't justify risking a very high pick on him at all.

In fact, IMO he's one of the most talented RB's in the league. I would actually rank him in the top 10 (talent wise).

I mean.. Are you judging that on his play with the Bengals?

Or are you still remembering him from playing for Michigan?

Because, in all honesty, I just don't see how anyone could proclaim Chris Perry to be a Top 10 NFL back, in terms of talent, with having such little NFL history to go off of.

I mean I really liked the guy coming out of Michigan, I thought he was great. But to say that he's one of the most talented RBs in the league, I just think is a bit of stretch.

Who is he more talented than?

LT2?

Adrian Peterson?

Larry Johnson?

Marion Barber?

Frank Gore?

Steven Jackson?

Brian Westbrook?

Maurice Jones-Drew?

Michael Turner?

Marshawn Lynch?

Joe Addai?

Darren McFadden?

Reggie Bush?

Brandon Jacobs?

Willis McGahee?

Felix Jones?

Ricky Williams?

Ahmad Bradshaw?

Jamal Lewis?

Laurence Maroney?

Ryan Grant?

Willie Parker?

Ronnie Brown?

Clinton Portis?

Jerious Norwood?

I don't think he has more 'talent' than any of those guys.

And in all honesty, I'm being generous.

I mean.. Are you judging that on his play with the Bengals?

Or are you still remembering him from playing for Michigan?

Because, in all honesty, I just don't see how anyone could proclaim Chris Perry to be a Top 10 NFL back, in terms of talent, with having such little NFL history to go off of.

I mean I really liked the guy coming out of Michigan, I thought he was great. But to say that he's one of the most talented RBs in the league, I just think is a bit of stretch.

Who is he more talented than?

LT2?

Adrian Peterson?

Larry Johnson?

Marion Barber?

Frank Gore?

Steven Jackson?

Brian Westbrook?

Maurice Jones-Drew?

Michael Turner?

Marshawn Lynch?

Joe Addai?

Darren McFadden?

Reggie Bush?

Brandon Jacobs?

Willis McGahee?

Felix Jones?

Ricky Williams?

Ahmad Bradshaw?

Jamal Lewis?

Laurence Maroney?

Ryan Grant?

Willie Parker?

Ronnie Brown?

Clinton Portis?

Jerious Norwood?

I don't think he has more 'talent' than any of those guys.

And in all honesty, I'm being generous.

Oh absolutely! I am making that judgement after watching him, live and in person for the Bengals against NFL oponents as well as a couple of training camps i've sit in on. Obviously you have not had that opportunity as the vast majority of those on your list couldn't hold his jock and you would know what I'm talking about if you had seen him healthy. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking you, that's my whole point, seeing him healthy is an extremely rare occurence. But yes, believe it or not, from what I've seen of him, he's a complete package. He's the rare kind of player when you see him in person, you're just like wow, that guy is something special. Unfortunately, he always has some kind of injury slowing him. So, I'm not overly optimistic that we'll ever get to see what he can do healthy.

Perry is by far the most talented RB on that team. In fact, IMO he's one of the most talented RB's in the league. I would actually rank him in the top 10 (talent wise). He is a very fun guy to watch. Unfortunatley, he just can not stay healthy. With his kind of injury history, even if he is named the starter, i would think the coaching staff would probably try to limit his carries. While I would love to see what he could do if he could stay healthy, he is a definite gamble. I personally couldn't justify risking a very high pick on him at all.

"very high pick" = the kind we used to spend on rudi, like late1/early2? or do you mean first 5 rounds?

what about 6th-8th rds?

I've got Perry 23rd at RB in a non-PPR since this news broke. While he has allot of upside in that offence, his injury history and Rudi's presence limit him. Even if Perry starts, Rudi's not going away. Perry's injury history ensures that he'll be spelled early and often by Rudi and Watson.

so as rb23, into what round does that translate? do u feel he is a late 6th rounder/ early 7th rounder? later?

Oh absolutely! I am making that judgement after watching him, live and in person for the Bengals against NFL oponents as well as a couple of training camps i've sit in on. Obviously you have not had that opportunity as the vast majority of those on your list couldn't hold his jock and you would know what I'm talking about if you had seen him healthy. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking you, that's my whole point, seeing him healthy is an extremely rare occurence. But yes, believe it or not, from what I've seen of him, he's a complete package. He's the rare kind of player when you see him in person, you're just like wow, that guy is something special. Unfortunately, he always has some kind of injury slowing him. So, I'm not overly optimistic that we'll ever get to see what he can do healthy.

You may have seen Perry in person, but did you see all of the other players on that list in person to be able to make an accurate judgement?

I think Perry has lots of talent, but to put him above all of those guys is just homerism.

You may have seen Perry in person, but did you see all of the other players on that list in person to be able to make an accurate judgement?

I think Perry has lots of talent, but to put him above all of those guys is just homerism.

how high do u feel his talent vs injury risk/history warrants his draft rank?

Didn't he only have one serious injury that was mis-treated casuing further delay? I don't think this guy has had injury after injury after injury...

how high do u feel his talent vs injury risk/history warrants his draft rank?

Scroll up. I already said where I have him ranked.

Scroll up. I already said where I have him ranked.

yeah, i saw that, 23rd, but i was asking into which round of a 10/12 team draft does that translate? do u feel he has 6th-7th rd value? or is that too high?

Didn't he only have one serious injury that was mis-treated casuing further delay? I don't think this guy has had injury after injury after injury...

He was injured half way through his rookie year (can't remember what the injury was) and then he suffered a broken ankle that was mis-diagnosed as a sprain :wall: . By the time it was figured out that he needed surgery for the ankle, it was too late to play last year.

Missed all of his rookie year (2004) with a hamstring injury. Began 2006 on PUP list after offseason ankle and knee surgeries. Played in six games, but ended the year on the IR after dislocating his ankle in November. Missed all of 2007 because his ankle injury did not respond to treatment. He's looked impressive in the preseason, but he has only played in 22 of a possible 48 career games. Just know what you're getting into and plan accordingly.

:music_guitarred: Exactly. Matter of time.

It is a matter of time for just about any NFL RB. Here is thing about Perry, he was a FIRST ROUND PICK of the Bungles a few years ago. Not that means anything, see Akili Smith. Rudi is DONE and the Benglas will give Perry every chance to prove he was worth that first round pick. Perry is an every down back. If he gets 65% of the touches, he could go 235 carries for 1100 yrds 10TD (he will be the goal line back on a top 5 offense) 40 rec 230 yrds 2 TD. That would put him in the top 15 RB's. Not bad for a guy I drafted in the 15th round last week. Perry is still just 26 and has young legs...

He's on my W/W right now! think I might grab him.....I was really big on him a few years ago. and yes he is an amazing tallent, when he was healthy and played he sure looked like a top 10 RB to me anyhow. I have no problem giving him a shot this year :shocking:

I would say he is ranked around the 30th or so running back, and will probably go around the 5-6th round. He is very high risk/reward at this point obviously but then so are most backs in this range so you might as well take a shot

Your league allows starting RBs to fall into the 13th-15th rounds?

Probably not.

I have another live draft this Saturday. I would guess Perry will go between rounds 6-8.

Depends on how st!tty my draft goes as to whether I take a flier on him.

Some issues with Bengals: Ocho is hurt, T.J. has a little hammy issue and Chris Henry was dropped and then the owner

cuts Marv Lewis' nutz off by turning around and giving this thug a two year deal. Way to stand behind your coach. I agree

they could be a great offensive team but the players are risky IMO.

Depends on how st!tty my draft goes as to whether I take a flier on him.

Some issues with Bengals: Ocho is hurt, T.J. has a little hammy issue and Chris Henry was dropped and then the owner

cuts Marv Lewis' nutz off by turning around and giving this thug a two year deal. Way to stand behind your coach. I agree

they could be a great offensive team but the players are risky IMO.

IMO the whole Chad injury is being way OVER HYPED! The guy is one of the Iron Men among WR's. TJ's hammy could be an issue, but he will play thru it. With Palmer, Ocho & TJ, Henry & Utech they should still be a one of the better offenses in the NFL. I think Perry will be one of the better 2nd tier RB's this year. I wouldn't draft him that way, but if you can get him after round 6, I think you may have a steal.

For what it's worth, that offensive line was pretty dreadful last year and I haven't seen much to convince me 2008 will be better. All the skill players in the world can't accomplish much if there isn't anyone to block for them. I wish I weren't so heavily invested in Cincy, but I own Rudi and Watson in my dynasty and since their trade value is nil right now, I just have to ride it out and hope for the best.

I just drafted Chris Perry late in a 1st year dynasty, I hva and will be targeting him in every league.

WOW, you mean the NFL?

WOW, you mean the NFL?

Yeah. How many times have you seen him play in person when he was healthy? If you haven't, then why are you flapping your gums?

Belushi, I'm not a homer and yes I have seen several of those guys play in person. Granted he's no LT or ADP, but no where did i say he was? After seeing him play when fully healthy, yes I stand by it, I would definitely put him in the top third of the league right now if healthy, but thats a huge if.

He's a complete back. He runs with good power, pretty good speed, has nimble feet, great vision, sets up his blocks as well as anyone, has very good natural hands, knows how to pick up a blitz and above all finishes his runs. He may not be the best in any single category, but he can pretty much do it all. I really like how he knows how to use his blockers. He's patient, he lets his holes develop and then has excellent vision to see it and enough burst to hit it. In that aspect, he reminds me a lot of Priest, and no, before some smart a$$ says it, I'm not claiming he was as good as the preacher in his prime...just simply stating he uses his blocks in much the same way. His receiving skills really caught my eye as well. He's very dangerous in the flat and I absolutely love how he likes to lower that shoulder and finish his runs. He likes to punish tacklers and keeps those legs driving, just like a RB should finish. Give him ten touches and one of them he'll make you say wow, that guy's pretty good.

Now, with all that said, he constantly seems to have injury issues. I know he's had lingering hamstring issues and if I'm not mistaken he's had a bum knee and maybe a foot as well. I can't remember. Whatever, he's had a lot of problems with his wheels. I'm sorry, but as much as I like watching him play football when healthy, I can't see risking much of a pick on a RB with bad wheels. If he's still around when i'm looking for my 4th RB, I may take him, but thats about it.