Sign in to follow this  
mambokings

Rudi Johnson preparing to suit up

A New Back in Town

September 2, 2008

By Chrissie Wywrot

http://www.detroitlions.com

Newly-signed Detroit Lions’ running back Rudi Johnson is poised and ready to contribute.

“I’m looking forward to playing Sunday,” he said. “Going out and helping the team get a win.”

Full story: Veteran Running Back Rudi Johnson is Preparing for his First Game as a Detroit Lion

Would you drop Rudi now and pick up Watson from the waiver wire? Why or why not?

Would you drop Rudi now and pick up Watson from the waiver wire?

I hope that's a dyslexic question...do you mean drop Watson to pick up Rudi?

I hope that's a dyslexic question...do you mean drop Watson to pick up Rudi?

and they are on different teams now. :wacko:

Would you drop Rudi now and pick up Watson from the waiver wire? Why or why not?

Negative

Analysis: Lewis indicated that Perry will be a three-down back. "He'll be our starting back," Lewis said. "We have felt very comfortable keeping him in there on third down, so I think he'll log more playing time than anyone we've had back there for a while. He's never had that opportunity, so this is his chance."

Bottom line, Watson will be fighting with DeDe Dorsey for the scraps.

Considering that Rudi is K. Smith's backup--it shouldn't be too surprising that he is "suiting up". Marcus Thomas is the team's only other HB and he was picked up the same time as Rudi.

Rudi may get a few token carries (which in itself would surprise), but the only distinct possibility of him scoring any significant points would be if both K. Smith and Felton (the FB) were hurt.

I would imagine that rudy will be in for some short yardage situations only. Perhaps vulturing a TD or two. He's not ready for blitz pickups yet and there won't be any reason to risk Kitna in game one on regular downs.

-- Lions RBBC Emerging --

Fri Sep 5, 2008

The Detroit Free-Press reports Lions OC Jim Colletto said rookie RB Kevin Smith would start against the Falcons on Sunday, but newly signed RB Rudi Johnson will contribute. "How much he'll play Sunday, I don't know," Colletto said. "But he can play. I don't think we're going to ask Kevin to carry the load the whole day." Smith said he doesn't mind splitting carries. "I'm not opposed to that," Smith said. "We haven't been to the playoffs since '95? '99? I don't care if we've got a five-back rotation as long as we make the playoffs. That's my goal."