Sign in to follow this  
hines86rules

Vince Young - Torn MCL

I for one think that Kerry Collins is a better fit for that team right now anyway. This could be positive for Tennessee.

I don't think that is going to help TN in the long run. They have built that team around VY's legs. If he sustains that sort of injury, will he be the same player? Not a good thing for TN and one that I hope that he can recover from so that he can do to AFC South like he did to USC. :thumbsup:

This team is built around the run. Collins is a better deep ball thrower than Young, so the play action pass will be more effective as long as the line can protect him. Because Collins is more of a sitting target than Young, defenses may choose to blitz him more than they did with Young.

I do think McCareins and Gage benefit a little more. But I wouldn't adjust stats for the receivers considering what little Young was able to do with them. Collins will fulfill what people expected production-wise from Young. I think Collins will be effective, because of his veteran presence but he's still the same Kerry Collins:

a) Waits too long to release the ball on deep routes which can cause them to be under thrown.

:blink: Holds onto the ball too long in the face of a pass rush.

c) Immobile.

d) Can get pressured into poor throws.

Tennessee is a dangerous team because they have enough offense win it in the 4th QTR because they can run, stop the run, and rush the passer.

I don't have much faith in Collins. They should lean on thier defense and run game. I would upgrade Johnson and White. I don't expect much from any WR.

I don't think that is going to help TN in the long run. They have built that team around VY's legs. If he sustains that sort of injury, will he be the same player?

It certainly doesn't help, but the MCL is a (relatively) minor ligament, and it shouldn't affect him long term.

Some of us do....................its not all about Dallas, NE, and the NY teams ya know...........

Really? Well it isn't about NE anymore since Brady went down. However the world does revolve around Dallas since we are America's Team.

VY out for a couple weeks and Tennessee's stock goes up. Kind of like this place without Pimp.

I did snag the Tenn DEF. 7 sacks, 2 INTs and 1 fumble recovery against Jags which is surprising.

Great call from Yahoo sports writer Charles Robinson:

"Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. Will someone give this guy a head coaching job already? After his defense – not Vince Young – propelled the Titans to the playoffs last season, Schwartz’s unit started the season by holding Jacksonville to 189 yards along with seven sacks and two interceptions. The Titans won in spite of Young, who threw for 110 yards, two interceptions and one touchdown. Just think what this team could accomplish with a consistent passer. "

Link

Though a partially torn MCL reportedly will keep Titans quarterback Vince Young off the field for the next two-to-four weeks, an incident that occurred not long before the injury could be the thing that truncates his career in Tennessee.

According to David Climer of the Tennesseean, Young apparently attempted to take himself out of the game after throwing an interception in the fourth quarter. Young supposedly tried to blame his reluctance to return on a tightening hamstring, even though he sought no treatment for it while the defense was on the field.

“I came on the field and 10 wasn’t in the huddle,” center Kevin Mawae said of the incident. “I didn’t know what the situation was.”

Per Climer, Young returned only after prodding from an animated Jeff Fisher. “From the outside looking in,” Climer writes, ”Fisher seemed to all but throw Young back onto the field.”

Link

This makes the Titans a better team, so I'm not thrilled with it.

Great call from Yahoo sports writer Charles Robinson:

"Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. Will someone give this guy a head coaching job already? After his defense – not Vince Young – propelled the Titans to the playoffs last season, Schwartz’s unit started the season by holding Jacksonville to 189 yards along with seven sacks and two interceptions. The Titans won in spite of Young, who threw for 110 yards, two interceptions and one touchdown. Just think what this team could accomplish with a consistent passer. "

Link

Honestly, as someone who has watched lots and lots and LOTS of Titans games over the years, I can confidently say that Jim Schwartz is vastly over-rated by the NFL talking heads. He has the reputation in the league as being a good defensive-coordinator; but I'd say that he's only average at best. His schemes are terribly vanilla -- bunch of nickel coverage -- and he's not very creative at all in terms of his blitzing packages (for instance, he really only calls one type of blitz: a corner blitz in which either Finnegan or Fuller rush the passer). For some reason, he's never had the foresight to really utilize Keith Bulluck or David Thornton on blitzes, despite their speed. If you watch enough Titans' games, it's really, really easy to guess exactly which play/coverage the defense is going to run on nearly every down. It's that predictable.

If you're looking for an underrated Titans' coach, look no further than Jim Washburn (the Titans' DL coach) or Mike Munchak (the Titans' OL coach) for that matter. Both of these guys get overlooked a lot and both are two of the absolute best in the entire league at getting their respective units to play at top levels each and every game.

:music_guitarred:

Honestly, as someone who has watched lots and lots and LOTS of Titans games over the years, I can confidently say that Jim Schwartz is vastly over-rated by the NFL talking heads. He has the reputation in the league as being a good defensive-coordinator; but I'd say that he's only average at best. His schemes are terribly vanilla -- bunch of nickel coverage -- and he's not very creative at all in terms of his blitzing packages (for instance, he really only calls one type of blitz: a corner blitz in which either Finnegan or Fuller rush the passer). For some reason, he's never had the foresight to really utilize Keith Bulluck or David Thornton on blitzes, despite their speed. If you watch enough Titans' games, it's really, really easy to guess exactly which play/coverage the defense is going to run on nearly every down. It's that predictable.

If you're looking for an underrated Titans' coach, look no further than Jim Washburn (the Titans' DL coach) or Mike Munchak (the Titans' OL coach) for that matter. Both of these guys get overlooked a lot and both are two of the absolute best in the entire league at getting their respective units to play at top levels each and every game.

Beautifully stated. I'm glad someone else bothers to pay attention to schemes and the effect secondary coaches have on a team's performance :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I was kind of going with the Titan's DEF is really responsible for them being competitive DESPITE VY's poor play. It's like the Bears year before last; they won DESPITE Grossman. Don't know about the D.C. but I've seen enough of the talking heads hyping VY. Face it Titan's fans; this guy is mediocre at best.

Really? Well it isn't about NE anymore since Brady went down. However the world does revolve around Dallas since we are America's Team.

Wow...what position do you play for the Cowboys? Many of us watched "Hard Knocks" and might recognize you... :shocking: