Sign in to follow this  
Know Doubt

Trouble-Shooting My Car...

1st off car hasn't run regularly for about 6 years but received a tuneup/compression check a few months ago.

Car was running sweet when I left it to be shipped.

Got it yesterday and it ran fine and when I just got to 70mph I started losing power, soon I was going 40mph and dropped it to 2nd while trying to find a place to pull off.

The car had lost all charge(no click turning the key even after trying to jump it for a few minutes) and the water temp was off the gauge.

My buddy thought it was the thermostat but I'm pretty sure since it wouldn't keep a charge that the alternator is trashed. Besides all the antifreeze was still up at the normal level after the car cooled off.

If it helps, this is an old car, 67 Cougar w/289.

TIA

I had trouble shooting my car till I put the shells in the gun. Then it went off without a hitch.

you want trouble shooting?

the piece of crap car is giving you a lot of trouble,

so you should just shoot it and put it out of its misery. :cheers:

:a bit too late:

I had trouble shooting my car till I put the shells in the gun. Then it went off without a hitch.

Thanks for the bump man. :cheers:

Thanks for the bump man. :cheers:

Ahhh anytime man. Too bad the only thing I know to do to a car is shoot the damn thing or I might be able to help ya.

The loss of power is because your charging system isn't working and the ignition system is running low on juice from the battery.

Either your battery is shot, or the alternator isn't working.

Easiest way to determine:

1. Charge battery

2. Take voltage reading on battery with Volt/Ohm Meter...should probably be around 11.5volts

3. Start Car

4. Take voltage reading again. Should be around 13.5 - 14volts.

If it's not higher when running, your charging system isn't working. Check connections, retest voltage on battery when running.

If those don't work, take the alternator out and bring to Checker/Napa, etc and have them test it.

Alternator should cost you around $100. Bring the dead one with so you don't have a core charge.

2nd thought.....Because you're also having engine temperature issues, my guess is whoever worked on your car didn't put the alternator belt back on. Depending on the vehicle, that belt probably runs the water pump too, which would cause your overheating issue.

I'd check that first.

The loss of power is because your charging system isn't working and the ignition system is running low on juice from the battery.

1. Charge battery

2. Take voltage reading on battery with Volt/Ohm Meter...should probably be around 11.5volts

3. Start Car

If it's not higher when running, your charging system isn't working. Check connections, retest voltage on battery when running.

If those don't work, take the alternator out and bring to Checker/Napa, etc and have them test it.

Alternator should cost you around $100. Bring the dead one with so you don't have a core charge.

2nd thought.....Because you're also having engine temperature issues, my guess is whoever worked on your car didn't put the alternator belt back on. Depending on the vehicle, that belt probably runs the water pump too, which would cause your overheating issue.

I'd check that first.

Thanks!

I'll go check all this stuff out.

:thumbsdown:

Thanks!

I'll go check all this stuff out.

:thumbsdown:

Let me know what happens.

1. Charge battery

3. Start Car

I'd check that first.

This sounds like the logical first steps.

BLS is still a pvssy, though :thumbsdown:

This sounds like the logical first steps.

BLS is still a pvssy, though :headbanger:

Yeah, but you're a phag. And I can learn Judo.

:first:

where the fock you been lately homo?

Let me know what happens.

I don't get it?

Everything is hooked up and looks like it's pretty well mechanically. I haven't had the alternator or water pump worked on in God knows how long if at all.

The only things done to this car since I drove it from 97 to 02 was the tranny, carb, battery and tuneup/compression check.

It still won't hold a charge, I don't have a charger but after 25 minutes off a jump from my other car the headlights go out about 20 seconds after you turn them on.

eta: It does turn over and tries to start but only once or twice.

???

TIA

I don't get it?

Everything is hooked up and looks like it's pretty well mechanically. I haven't had the alternator or water pump worked on in God knows how long if at all.

The only things done to this car since I drove it from 97 to 02 was the tranny, carb, battery and tuneup/compression check.

It still won't hold a charge, I don't have a charger but after 25 minutes off a jump from my other car the headlights go out about 20 seconds after you turn them on.

eta: It does turn over and tries to start but only once or twice.

???

TIA

Go to your local Walmart/Target and get a volt/ohm meter....probably cost you $10.

Jump start your car, and get a reading, but I'm guessing it's gonna be about 4volts and not the 13.5 or so you'll need.

What about the belt(s)?

Belts are fine but, I'm in England and live in a tiny village. Maybe I can borrow a battery charger from some one on the base...

This could take awhile, thanks for your help. :doh:

Belts are fine but, I'm in England and live in a tiny village. Maybe I can borrow a battery charger from some one on the base...

This could take awhile, thanks for your help. :dunno:

Belts are ok? Are they TIGHT? Sometimes they'll slip if they're not SUPER tight...especially on the older cars.

If you hadn't mentioned the overheating, I would be certain you have a bad alternator.

If possible, do this:

Pull your battery from your other car and put it in the Cougar.

Start it and test with a V/O Meter.

Or...on your car you can rev the motor with the lights turned on and the door open.

Have someone look at your headlights and see if they brighten when you rev the motor. Your interior light should do that as well.

If you don't get any boost...it's your alternator or belt is loose.

This is pretty simple stuff really. There's only a couple things it can be.

Sux,

While you are here talking old cars, 69 Cuda 340, loses power above about 3K RPM but it ONLY happens in 3rd (maybe 4th, haven't gotten it up that fast yet). Feels like a fuel problem but it could be spark. Pretty stock except it does have the dual point replaced with an electronic and a Mopar multi spark box. Any idea on what is causing a gear specific loss?

This could take awhile, thanks for your help. :dunno:

You might need to get your steering wheel relocated too.

Sux,

While you are here talking old cars, 69 Cuda 340, loses power above about 3K RPM but it ONLY happens in 3rd (maybe 4th, haven't gotten it up that fast yet). Feels like a fuel problem but it could be spark. Pretty stock except it does have the dual point replaced with an electronic and a Mopar multi spark box. Any idea on what is causing a gear specific loss?

Is it missing? Can you feel it 'chug' or sputter?

Could be ignition timing, but you would notice that in every gear.

Matter of fact, any engine trouble that hits at a certain RPM would reveal itself regardless of the gear you're in.

Can you offer any more details?

Belts are ok? Are they TIGHT? Sometimes they'll slip if they're not SUPER tight...especially on the older cars.

If you hadn't mentioned the overheating, I would be certain you have a bad alternator.

If possible, do this:

Pull your battery from your other car and put it in the Cougar.

Start it and test with a V/O Meter.

Or...on your car you can rev the motor with the lights turned on and the door open.

Have someone look at your headlights and see if they brighten when you rev the motor. Your interior light should do that as well.

If you don't get any boost...it's your alternator or belt is loose.

This is pretty simple stuff really. There's only a couple things it can be.

Okay, changed batteries and the cougar has plenty of 'juice' now but after turning over and over for about 5 solid seconds it stopped. Further tries have resulted in a "Thunk" sound coming and no trunover what so ever. I put a small amount of gas in the carberator but it hasn't changed things. Lamps are bright as hell but the car will only go "thunk" when I turn the key.

Thanks very much guys!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Okay, changed batteries and the cougar has plenty of 'juice' now but after turning over and over for about 5 solid seconds it stopped. Further tries have resulted in a "Thunk" sound coming and no trunover what so ever. I put a small amount of gas in the carberator but it hasn't changed things. Lamps are bright as hell but the car will only go "thunk" when I turn the key.

:thumbsup:

WTF is a "THUNK"?

That's not right. It turned over fine for 5 seconds but wouldn't start???

Now, it won't turn over at all? How loud of a thunk are we talking here? Like heavy metal on heavy metal, or like a click? :wub:

Is it missing? Can you feel it 'chug' or sputter?

Could be ignition timing, but you would notice that in every gear.

Matter of fact, any engine trouble that hits at a certain RPM would reveal itself regardless of the gear you're in.

Can you offer any more details?

I know it is odd and I have never had anything like this, runs all the way up to 6K in first and second but the power drops off a cliff when it hits around 3K in third. Feels like it loses fuel or spark as there is no cough or sputter, just gone. Have to try it in fourth this weekend but I have to get out of town a little ways for that.

:dunno:

Few things:

1) If it overheated there could be issues, so if you haven't, check the oil, make sure it is there and that it is the right color and consistancy.

:first: Check your terminals for a tight, clean connection. Check where the black cable grounds to the engine/frame as well.

III) Could be the starter, especially if it has been sitting a long while. Crawl under and look at the big red wire that runs to the starter, make sure it isn't worn, or corroded and has a good connection.

When it turned over was it turning strong or did it feel like it was straining?

Heavy, metal on metal.

:dunno:

on

:first:

Have you had it started since the other day when it overheated?

Didn't you have it running just today? Did it make any loud clanking noises when it was running.

That sounds like a seized motor buddy.

I know it is odd and I have never had anything like this, runs all the way up to 6K in first and second but the power drops off a cliff when it hits around 3K in third. Feels like it loses fuel or spark as there is no cough or sputter, just gone. Have to try it in fourth this weekend but I have to get out of town a little ways for that.

Again, I REALLY doubt it's a timing or fuel issue. The engine doesn't know/care what gear you're in.

4 speed?

I would run in it 2nd at about 5k for a couple miles. Do you experience any of the same issues?

I will say this...I had a 64 Impala with a 283 in it. It had the OLD school fuel filter right in the carb (brass filter).

When I would start the car for the first time of the day, I could drive about 5 miles and then it would do the same thing...fall off, sputter, etc. I replaced the filter and that fixed it. Those carbs had float bowls in them and the engine would use the fuel in the bowl before the pump could refill it because the filter was 90% clogged.

But I doubt it's that...if it's fuel or ignition, you're gonna feel it sputter.

To me it sounds like 3rd gear is geared too high. What if you hammer it from 2nd to 3rd and try to keep the R's up in the 4-5k range during the shift, will it continue to pull or does it bog down as well?

But I'm doubting it's that either...you would've always noticed that. How long have you owned it?

Heavy, metal on metal.

<_<

on

:headbanger:

Also could be the solenoid. Might be fender mounted (probably passenger side) or built into the starter.

If you can get someone to help you, have them try to turn it over. If you hear the solenoid "click" as it engages the starter, but won't turn over, do you hear it spin? If so, tap the solenoid lightly with a hammer. Old trick on older starters.

There is an undeniable rage coursing thru my veins...

As you've heard my car was running fine when I left it to be picked up.

I was worried about employees stealing the tires and spare parts I had put in the car for the trip and when I saw that nothing had been touched I assumed that everything was cool.

This was until after all your great advice I decided to pour some gas into the gas tank to make sure it had all that gas I had put in there was still there...

Motherfockers STOLE My Gas!!!!!

I could hear it pouring into an empty tank!

A scalding email has been sent to Both Companies expressing my dismay at their actions concerning my putting my trust in them.

I've yet to hear back.

Focking douchebags.

Carry on!

I'm dying to hear more about that 340 screamer.

Man, I raced one of those once. Guy had just rebuilt it and had crappy tires on it so I beat him off the line but around 70 mph he went SCREAMING by me.

Coolest sound I've ever heard in my life.

Thanks again fellas.

:cheers:

Shoulda got a '65 Stang :unsure:

There is an undeniable rage coursing thru my veins...

As you've heard my car was running fine when I left it to be picked up.

I was worried about employees stealing the tires and spare parts I had put in the car for the trip and when I saw that nothing had been touched I assumed that everything was cool.

This was until after all your great advice I decided to pour some gas into the gas tank to make sure it had all that gas I had put in there was still there...

Motherfockers STOLE My Gas!!!!!

I could hear it pouring into an empty tank!

A scalding email has been sent to Both Companies expressing my dismay at their actions concerning my putting my trust in them.

I've yet to hear back.

Focking douchebags.

Carry on!

I'm dying to hear more about that 340 screamer.

Man, I raced one of those once. Guy had just rebuilt it and had crappy tires on it so I beat him off the line but around 70 mph he went SCREAMING by me.

Coolest sound I've ever heard in my life.

Thanks again fellas.

:pointstosky:

:unsure: