Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Bronocs Homers - Ryan Torain

Has he started to practice yet?

He's been running to keep his conditioning up...said he will practice in the next few weeks and come back for the New England game.

So if one were to have Lynch, Fred Jackson, LenDale White and McClain, would you suggest picking him up for White?

Has he started to practice yet?

Why is there so much talk about this 5th round unheard of rookie? A 4-headed monster sounds yucky to me.

Why is there so much talk about this 5th round unheard of rookie? A 4-headed monster sounds yucky to me.

Because Mike Shanahan compares him to Terrell Davis.

Because Mike Shanahan compares him to Terrell Davis.

Why the hell would you believe anything shanahan says. He said last week that Pittman was the workhorse back. At one point this offseason he said that Graham was the #1 TE, Washington the #2 TE, and Sheffler the #3 TE.

Why the hell would you believe anything shanahan says. He said last week that Pittman was the workhorse back. At one point this offseason he said that Graham was the #1 TE, Washington the #2 TE, and Sheffler the #3 TE.

Graham still is the #1 TE, he's just more of a blocker than a pass catcher. Scheffler was working back in from injury and Nate Jackson did very well in preseason, so Shanny was making Scheffler earn his spot back. Nothing wrong with that.

I didn't hear him say that about Pittman, but I'm curious to see Torain. Not as a fantasy option, but as a fan. We've seen a lot of RBs come and go since Portis, and you don't hear that kind of praise from Shanny on the other backs.

Also note that Torain dropped 2-3 rounds due to injury his senior year. He was projected a higher pick had he entered the draft as a junior.

Graham still is the #1 TE, he's just more of a blocker than a pass catcher. Scheffler was working back in from injury and Nate Jackson did very well in preseason, so Shanny was making Scheffler earn his spot back. Nothing wrong with that.

I didn't hear him say that about Pittman, but I'm curious to see Torain. Not as a fantasy option, but as a fan. We've seen a lot of RBs come and go since Portis, and you don't hear that kind of praise from Shanny on the other backs.

Also note that Torain dropped a 2-3 rounds due to injury his senior year. He was projected a higher pick had he entered the draft as a junior.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan referred to Michael Pittman as "our workhorse" during one of his press conferences this week.

It's unclear if Shanny said this because Pittman plays key downs, like near the goal line and in blitz pickup, or because he foresees Pittman's role growing. Either way, there isn't a better weekly bet to score in Denver's backfield.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...t=NFL&id=21

Shanahan is a lier, and should never be trusted for what he says.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...t=NFL&id=21

Shanahan is a lier, and should never be trusted for what he says.

And "workhorse" can also be interpreted another way. I know most want to think an LJ or SJax type ~30 carries a game. But Pittman is playing a few roles for the team, 3rd down, short yardage, goal line, fullback and receiving. While he's not playing fullback or lining up as a receiver very often, those are assignments that he does get. I'm guessing thats what he means when he says that.

I understand the frustration as a fantasy player on RBBCs, be it 2, 3 or 4 backs. And thats why everyone here hates Shanahan, but he's not playing for fantasy stats. Shanahan was also giving Royal a ton of praise in the offseason, look how that worked out.

I would think it would be pretty hard to keep Selvin Young off the field at least part time considering the guy is averging like 47 yards per carry.

We are taking about a bench player! People act like adding him is crazy talk. He's on a top offense. He was pushing for starting prior to getting hurt. And the coach isn't afraid to bring in a 5th round pick and feed him the rock. I like the upside....

Yes, Shanahan did praise him lots in the offseason, but the most telling fact about his talent is the fact he was kept on the active roster despite suffering a 10-12 week injury. Normally, a 5th round rookie RB on a team with decent RB depth would NEVER take up a precious a roster spot for nearly half the season, UNLESS the coach felt he had tremendous talent, and could be a difference maker down the stretch.

With roster space at an all time premium, and with a defense that sucks, I would have to assume that Torain is going to get a chance to be the primary ball carrier here the 2nd half of the year. The guy has tremendous talent, but he's been bitten with the injury bug several times. Luckily it's just an elbow, and he's been able to stay in good physical condition during his rehab.

Shanahan has already said he's modeled his offense after NE last year, which means as the nasty weather comes in Nov and December, don't be shocked if Denver reverts to their old run first mentality. Both to protect the ball, and to protect their defense.

If you've got dead weight on your roster, it can't hurt to add him now before someone else does. I actually drafted him in the last round of my 12-team keeper league and have been stashing him on my bench hoping he turns into an impact fantasy player late in the season.

I am officially joining the Avoid-Denver-Backs movement. I've held out up until now because I've gotten great value in the past from guys like Reuben Droughns and Mike Anderson. But I'm done.

Of course, now that I've unloaded Selvin Young, he will probably go for 120 and a TD this week.