Sign in to follow this  
TimESmalls

Kevin Curtis v. Desean Jackson

It's tough to decide since they haven't been on the field together. Of course Kevin Curtis killed last year but this year Desean is killing. So what is your fair assessment?

He got 1100 yards and 6 touchdowns in a couple games? I remember he had one monster but that seems like numbers that you can only post if you perform fairly consistently.

So when will Curtis be worth a start if worth one at all? Are you ranking him as a fantasy No. 1, 2, 3, or 4 wideout. Right now I would rate Desean as a low 2 or very high 3.

I have 2 of the 3 Brown and Curtis. I am thinking of starting both along with Q this week and see how it goes. (Berrian on a bye) I think there might be enough balls to go around for all 3. The only thing that worries me is if philly sucks then my team sucks that week. Maybe a bad idea? But with Westy hurting you never know. Maybe you can keep them both for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Yea. I'm really curious at to whether or not Curtis is a viable starter this week.

I think starting two players on any given team is to much of a gamble. I only really like it if you have the QB and stud WR like Cutler and Marshall (although that probably got you a loss this week).

Still. If Curtis thinks he is 100% then I see no reason in not starting him. My father in law swears that Desean will still be the truth though.

I have 2 of the 3 Brown and Curtis. I am thinking of starting both along with Q this week and see how it goes. (Berrian on a bye) I think there might be enough balls to go around for all 3. The only thing that worries me is if philly sucks then my team sucks that week. Maybe a bad idea? But with Westy hurting you never know. Maybe you can keep them both for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Desean is already much more consistent than Curtis was all of last year...

I don't see Curtis doing much at all this year but I still have him on my bench for some reason.

Yea, I think he deserves a spot on the bench for sure. But yea you are definitely right about Desean's consistency. I'm excited to see what they will do this weekend.

Curtis' stats from last year were pretty heavily skewed by his game against Detroit, where he had 11 catches for 221 yards and 3 TDs. He had a couple of other good games, but also 7 games in which he had fewer than 60 yards and no scores. Last year he basically a third receiver with upside and decent stats in PPR.

I think it's going to take a game or two to see how the Philly receiver situation shakes out. With the return of Curtis and Reggie Brown being back as well, all three of those guys might end up not much more than third options. When Brown's on the field, he gets the most looks, but Jackson's the big play guy getting a fair amount of catches himself. I'm guessing the hierarchy in the receiving game will be Westbrook --> Brown/Jackson --> Curtis, but who knows at this point.

Curtis' stats from last year were pretty heavily skewed by his game against Detroit, where he had 11 catches for 221 yards and 3 TDs. He had a couple of other good games, but also 7 games in which he had fewer than 60 yards and no scores. Last year he basically a third receiver with upside and decent stats in PPR.

I think it's going to take a game or two to see how the Philly receiver situation shakes out. With the return of Curtis and Reggie Brown being back as well, all three of those guys might end up not much more than third options. When Brown's on the field, he gets the most looks, but Jackson's the big play guy getting a fair amount of catches himself. I'm guessing the hierarchy in the receiving game will be Westbrook --> Brown/Jackson --> Curtis, but who knows at this point.

Yep, Curtis has those deceiving fantasy stats where he shot his wad in 2-3 games and then sucked in several other games. Kind of like Ocho Sucko has the last few years. It looks good on paper but he is completely unreliable. Jackson is the better week to week play, IMO.

Jackson returns punts too just as a bonus.

He got 1100 yards and 6 touchdowns in a couple games? I remember he had one monster but that seems like numbers that you can only post if you perform fairly consistently.

So when will Curtis be worth a start if worth one at all? Are you ranking him as a fantasy No. 1, 2, 3, or 4 wideout. Right now I would rate Desean as a low 2 or very high 3.

Here are the details, Curtis had 4 games in which he scored a TD (or 3), which also accounted for 531 of his 1110 yards... and 3 of those were his only 100+ yard days. That leaves 579 yards in the other 12 games, therefore he averaged 48.25 yards per game when he wasn't scoring any TDs, not exactly great numbers.

He was always on my bench last year because of this inconsistency. He probably wasn't bad in PPR because he always caught at least 2 balls per game, but I'm not in PPR so I don't know what his value is there.

you must be a reggie brown fan, because I have watched almost every Philly game this year and Deshaun is McNabb's target, Brown drops balls, Curtis isn't fast enough to be more than possession guy, and Jackson does both so there is your answer. Donovan has not targeted Brown in a couple of years and he spreads it around pretty well, but he clearly has been hitting jackson more often and I see the additions of curtis and brown opening up more possiblities for Jackson.

you must be a reggie brown fan, because I have watched almost every Philly game this year and Deshaun is McNabb's target, Brown drops balls, Curtis isn't fast enough to be more than possession guy, and Jackson does both so there is your answer. Donovan has not targeted Brown in a couple of years and he spreads it around pretty well, but he clearly has been hitting jackson more often and I see the additions of curtis and brown opening up more possiblities for Jackson.

Actually, I'm a slightly skeptical DeSean Jackson owner. Reggie's only played in 2 games this year, and here's the breakdown for them:

Week 4: Bears

Reggie Brown: 10 looks, 6 catches, 79 yards, 0 TD

DeSean Jackson: 10 looks, 5 catches, 71 yards, 1 TD; 2 rush, 35 yards

Week 5: Redskins

Reggie Brown: 5 looks, 4 catches, 84 yards, 0 TD

DeSean Jackson: 2 looks, 1 catch, 8 yards, 0 TD; 2 rush, 13 yards

I watched about half of each game, and McNabb wasn't sending anything DeSean's way at all against the Redskins, even when he was wide open across the middle about 10-12 yards out. DeSean definitely had the more productive day against the Bears, but Reggie got just as many targets. DeSean's occasional use in the run game and his punt returns are definitely valid bonuses, but I'm not sure there's as much separation there as I'd like. I don't think it's a stretch to put them on fairly equal footing, and worry a little bit about DeSean's production dropping when Curtis gets involved (though really, I think Curtis will most likely take away more of what Avant and Baskett have been pulling in).

Actually, I'm a slightly skeptical DeSean Jackson owner. Reggie's only played in 2 games this year, and here's the breakdown for them:

Week 4: Bears

Reggie Brown: 10 looks, 6 catches, 79 yards, 0 TD

DeSean Jackson: 10 looks, 5 catches, 71 yards, 1 TD; 2 rush, 35 yards

Week 5: Redskins

Reggie Brown: 5 looks, 4 catches, 84 yards, 0 TD

DeSean Jackson: 2 looks, 1 catch, 8 yards, 0 TD; 2 rush, 13 yards

I watched about half of each game, and McNabb wasn't sending anything DeSean's way at all against the Redskins, even when he was wide open across the middle about 10-12 yards out. DeSean definitely had the more productive day against the Bears, but Reggie got just as many targets. DeSean's occasional use in the run game and his punt returns are definitely valid bonuses, but I'm not sure there's as much separation there as I'd like. I don't think it's a stretch to put them on fairly equal footing, and worry a little bit about DeSean's production dropping when Curtis gets involved (though really, I think Curtis will most likely take away more of what Avant and Baskett have been pulling in).

I thought that I had read a Yahoo update that Jackson half assed a route in that game against the skins that was almost intercepted. It made it seem like his lack of looks in that game was a "punishment" by McKnabb. He was back up in numbers in Week 6 though - 6 catches for 98 yards, granted - Brown didn't play.