Sign in to follow this  
Dan

Can we fire Arians now?

The next in-game adjustment this guy makes will be the first. On the critical drive, IMO, up 14-12 after the Giants had just pulled within two, the Steelers needed to sustain a drive. The Giants flooded the line :thumbsup: and overwhelmed them three plays in a row. Imagine that . . . the Giants decided to pressure an offensive line that was overmatched against one of the best D-lines in the game. WHO KNEW??? Certainly not Bruce Arians, who called a 7-step drop, followed by a short draw, and then another 7-step drop. What the heck?!?

A ton of credit to the Giants, who played a heck of a game, and made the plays when they needed to in a hard-fought game. But I want a different OC. This is pathetic. The Steelers were moving the ball effectively in the third quarter until they shot themselves in the foot with three consecutive penalties, but failed to back to the things that would have aided them. So determined to take advantage of the soft secondary of the Giants over the top, Arians neglected the Giants' rush, and did nothing to compensate.

Maybe it truly is rocket science, but it seemed to me to be a very simple thing to realize that your best chance of success, KNOWING what the Giants were going to do, is to use quick 3-step drops on slants. Soften that rush up and THEN draw. To fail to work around your weaknesses is to have the arrogance to think that your players are better matchups all around, and that thinking loses games.

The Steelers receivers were better than anyone the Giants had covering them, but the Steelers didn't allow them to show it, because they were too busy playing to the Giants' strength. That's coaching . . . and that's Arians.

He's Mike Martz without a brain.

Please, someone, take him . . . he's making this season a misery.

Despite living in the area, I'm not a fan of the G-men. As an impartial observer to yesterdays game, I would put the blame on the QB holding the ball way too long. It was popular last year to blame the Stillers faults on the o-line; IMO, the line has played just find this year, but Big Ben takes so long going through his progressions, sacks are inevitable. I do not understand why he doesn't just chuck it out of bounds.

Despite living in the area, I'm not a fan of the G-men. As an impartial observer to yesterdays game, I would put the blame on the QB holding the ball way too long. It was popular last year to blame the Stillers faults on the o-line; IMO, the line has played just find this year, but Big Ben takes so long going through his progressions, sacks are inevitable. I do not understand why he doesn't just chuck it out of bounds.

There are times when Ben hangs on too long, waiting for the big play. Not denying that at all. However, some of that pressure was poor game-planning. Twice in the drive at the end of the first half, the Giants' RE was lined up over nobody . . . NOBODY. Not once, where you say "oops, let's correct that." Twice in a row. And then on critical drives in the second half, they were calling for long passes. Or we were calling 5 rush plays in a row. Against one of the best defensive fronts in the league. That's arrogance. That's system over personnel. It's retarded.

The Giants are a really good team, and they may have won anyway. But the play-calling and offensive preparation was weak at best.

That was a good game, really high intensity, hard hitting. I hope both those teams are resting the first week of the playoffs. Would be a great SB matchup.

That was a good game, really high intensity, hard hitting. I hope both those teams are resting the first week of the playoffs. Would be a great SB matchup.

I completely agree. It was a great game, and a matchup would be just as intense, methinks.

I thought the line played well yesterday. It wasn't Ben's best game at all. He threw 3 picks, and looked lost out there. A few positives that came out of this game were, Ben threw 3 picks and we only lost by a touchdown. We were up 14-12 until our long snapper went down with an injury. Our defense held Jacobs to 2.5 yards a carry. We stopped them from scoring in the red zone 4 out of 5 times. I think Arians is a pretty good OC, I don't think he tries to manage the game, especially with Big Ben under center. Ben had a bad game and I think if we played them again it would be to our advantage.

See, that's where you're a bit off. Ben is holding the ball too long on many occasions because of the routes being called by Arians. When every one of your WR is running a 15 yrd route, it takes way too much time. I simply cannot understand why they don't just go to the no-huddle/hurry-up attack all the freakin time. The offense is unstoppable when they do that. Those quick slant routes to Miller, Sweed and the quick unders to Ward were tearing the Giants apart for a while. But they go away from them when it counts. I can't tell you how many times the giants put 7/8 in the box on first down because they flat out know for damned certain it's a run coming. At this point Arians has me begging for the Mike Mularkey days to come back, and that's pretty damned sad.

Has Big Ben thrown one ball out of bounds this season? I don't know how much I pin that on the O-line. Moore had running room, and Roethlisberger had about as much time as an NFL QB expects more often than not.

I have no problem with the play calling.

Nate Washington was wide open for the long touchdown that was brought back due to holding. Good play call poor execution by Willie Colon who grabbed the O-Lineman even though he had Moore there to help out.

Washington has another long catch that was again called back due to holding.

Arians was working without his # 1 Running back, # 2 Running back, # 2 Receiver and has gameplanned well to use the skills of Mewelde Moore and Nate Washington. He actually got Limas Sweed involved yesterday which could bode well for the future.

Also keep in mind that the Steelers, during the course of the game, had to deal with an injured punter and the loss of the long-snapper. (that hurt).