Sign in to follow this  
kmbryant09

Another Steve Smith down to the 1

This guy is a stud no doubt about it....To me, he is the best WR in football and is a top3 WR going into next year...

That being said, have you ever seen someone go down at the 1 so much??? He had 3 in one game, 2 the next week, 2 long ones down to the 1 against GB, and then another one early tonight....I'm guessing he's had 7-9 in the last 5-6 weeks, and those extra TDs are killing me...

Yeah he does come up short alot but I feel so much better plugging him into my lineup than when I have to start TO.

I dont want to talk about it.....

That aside, I wonder about old Stevey next year....I love having him, he is a spark plug, but that team isnt geared for him to have a real good shot at being a #1 WR in fantasy it doesnt seem.

For example, he wont be leading the league in targets per game at seasons end, not even real close. Kinda like Roddy White (I have them both), they really are studs, by all means top 6 guys in scoring.

But do they have a real legitimate shot at averaging the most points per week in the league through the course of a season? Or is top 4 or so his "ceiling"? It may be.

Now all that said, in my PPR (no negs) Smith averages 18.0 per game, and there are only a few WRs that are over that, and some just .5

7 times in the last 5 games Steve Smith has been down inside opponent's 5 yard line after a catch. 4 of those were at the 1 yard line.

Week 16

2-9-NYG 13 (9:18) 17-J.Delhomme pass short left to 89-S.Smith ran ob at NYG 3 for 10 yards.

2-3-NYG 3 (4:54) 17-J.Delhomme pass short left to 89-S.Smith for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN. New York Giants challenged the runner was down by contact ruling, and the play was REVERSED. 17-J.Delhomme pass short left to 89-S.Smith to NYG 1 for 2 yards (23-C.Webster).

Week 15

none

Week 14

1-9-TB 9 (2:29) (Shotgun) 17-J.Delhomme pass short right to 89-S.Smith to TB 2 for 7 yards (20-R.Barber, 25-A.Talib).

Week 13

3-11-GB 37 (12:00) (Shotgun) 17-J.Delhomme pass deep middle to 89-S.Smith to GB 1 for 36 yards (38-T.Williams).

1-10-CAR 45 (1:48) (Shotgun) 17-J.Delhomme pass deep middle to 89-S.Smith to GB 1 for 54 yards (54-B.Chillar). The Replay Assistant challenged the runner was down by contact ruling, and the play was Upheld.

Week 12

3-8-ATL 32 (7:27) (Shotgun) 17-J.Delhomme pass deep left to 89-S.Smith to ATL 1 for 31 yards (22-C.Jackson).

2-1-ATL 27 (13:03) 17-J.Delhomme pass short left to 89-S.Smith to ATL 5 for 22 yards (26-E.Coleman, 23-C.Houston).

You'd think that would balance out next year to give him a high TD number. At least higher than this year making him more valuable.

Edit: I didn't realize that he's already 2nd in avg/gm in non-ppr. He'd clearly be #1 if half of those close calls had been TDs. Obviously missing 2 games drops him in total points.

In my league he was 26 points under the leader. If he had not have been suspended games 1-3 and stayed healthy he would likely have been the WR points leader. I was able to get him in RD 4 because of the suspension which saved my season.

he doesn't understand the karma. when he got up sunday night after a catch and pointed at the numbers on the back of his shirt, i said out loud that would be the last we hear of him the rest of the game. if he'd just catch the ball and act like he's actually done it once or twice before, he'd score 3 times a game.

he doesn't understand the karma. when he got up sunday night after a catch and pointed at the numbers on the back of his shirt, i said out loud that would be the last we hear of him the rest of the game. if he'd just catch the ball and act like he's actually done it once or twice before, he'd score 3 times a game.

I'm pretty sure him pointing to his #s after a catch has nothing to do with whether or not he scores B)

As for next year, I know he's never been a TD machine, but he has 73 catches for 1287 yards and 6 TDs in only 13 games...over a full season thats 90 catches, 1584 yards, and 7.5 TDs per game....I will take that in the 3rd round of a draft any year, and especially considering a few things:

1 - Jake Delhomme's first year back from Tommy John Surgery...he hasn't been that accurate this year, and his arm should only get better next year.

2 - The Panthers had ALOT of success on the ground this year, I know they are a run first team; but I don't think anyone expected 2500 yards and 30 TDs from their 2 RBs

3 - As mentioned above, Smith has had some pretty bad luck being tackled at the 1. I know it happens to everyone once in a while, but even if he converted 2 or 3 of those ~10ish catches down to the 1, we'd be talking Smith up as a 1st rounder next year...

I'd love havin this guy on my team, as long as Delhomme (and not like David Carr or w/e) under center, he will continue to put up stud-like #s for his owners...