Sign in to follow this  
gocolts

Cowher says he won’t coach in ‘09, staying at CBS

link

NEW YORK (AP)—Bill Cowher doesn’t plan to coach in the NFL next year, and will stay with CBS Sports as a studio analyst.

Cowher was recently wooed by the New York Jets, but said during “The NFL Today” on Sunday that he’s taking it “year to year.”

“It’s a privilege and an honor to be a head coach in the National Football League,” Cowher said. “And I have been flattered about the attention, but the timing right now is not right. I don’t plan on coaching next year.”

The Super-Bowl winning coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2006, Cowher took himself out of the running as a candidate for the Jets job on Dec. 30. He also was a candidate for the vacant Cleveland job, but asked to be taken off the list.

A little disappointing. Never was a Steeler fan but I always found it difficult to not like the guy. Wish he would come back. Maybe he is waiting for the Indy job to open up. :thumbsdown:

link

A little disappointing. Never was a Steeler fan but I always found it difficult to not like the guy. Wish he would come back. Maybe he is waiting for the Indy job to open up. :thumbsdown:

I figure he's waiting for the Carolina job to open up?

I thought that last year if Carolina stunk it up this year, but Fox did so well this year he may have to wait a bit longer.

That's what I'm thinking as well. As a Steeler fan, I love to see him come back to coach again, as long as it's in the NFC. I think the reason he flat out denied the Browns job was because he did not want to face his old team twice a year.

I think you are right.

He will come to dallas

If he does, you will have to get rid of all those cancers you seem to love so much!

Anyone see Cowher's interview with Jeff Fisher during halftime of Dolphins-Ravens yesterday? He asked Fisher what his message to his team was by having them do workouts this week in full pads. Fisher basically said that he wants to get the sense of urgency across and he wants them to be fully prepared, blah, blah, blah. When he was done talking, Cowher says, "So what was the message to your team?" ??? Fisher froze for a second and then basically repeated himself.

Cowher is a much better coach than he is an interviewer but I guess we knew that already.

Anyone see Cowher's interview with Jeff Fisher during halftime of Dolphins-Ravens yesterday? He asked Fisher what his message to his team was by having them do workouts this week in full pads. Fisher basically said that he wants to get the sense of urgency across and he wants them to be fully prepared, blah, blah, blah. When he was done talking, Cowher says, "So what was the message to your team?" ??? Fisher froze for a second and then basically repeated himself.

Cowher is a much better coach than he is an interviewer but I guess we knew that already.

Did he spit on Fisher? :pointstosky:

Cowher did state when he retired, he was going to take 3yrs to watch his daughters in college, he just seems to be sticking to his words. Good for him and his family.

I expect he'll be coaching next year.

I've been a Steeler fan since Bobby Layne and Big Daddy Lipscomb, but, man, do I cringe when I see Cowher behind the desk. He is a great coach, but it has to be on his knowledge and experience. He has the charisma of an overdone Belgian waffle.

If he would move to a position half-way between where he is now and where Terry Bradshaw is, it would be an incredible improvement on his broadcast skills.

link

A little disappointing. Never was a Steeler fan but I always found it difficult to not like the guy. Wish he would come back. Maybe he is waiting for the Indy job to open up. :cry:

I was saying the same thing yesterday. I know Jim Caldwell is who takes over when Dungy retires, but how could they pass on a chance at Cowher? He would be awesome for us and put a foot in our defenses ass!

Whoever gets Cower next will be disappointed. Not because he is not a great coach but he is WAY overhyped. He is not going to walk in and turn a losing franchise like the Browns around. I loved Cower when he was at PIT and I am not saying he is not a great coach, but his success was based a lot on the philosophy of the Steelers. They build from within and do not put up with some of the B.S. that other teams do from their players.

Most importantly, they are not afraid to let aging players go when they are on top of their game. Sure guys like Woodson, Faneca and Porter will have some great years but the money they suck up will prevent the team from moving on. This system has been in place long before Cower came and it should be there long after Tomlin leaves, hopefully in ten years or so (because he was successful).

I've been a Steeler fan since Bobby Layne and Big Daddy Lipscomb, but, man, do I cringe when I see Cowher behind the desk. He is a great coach, but it has to be on his knowledge and experience. He has the charisma of an overdone Belgian waffle.

If he would move to a position half-way between where he is now and where Terry Bradshaw is, it would be an incredible improvement on his broadcast skills.

That sure is a perty little font ya got there Bob.

I was saying the same thing yesterday. I know Jim Caldwell is who takes over when Dungy retires, but how could they pass on a chance at Cowher? He would be awesome for us and put a foot in our defenses ass!

:thumbsup: :dunno: :pointstosky: