Sign in to follow this  
listen2me 23

**Official Green Bay Offseason Thread**

I brought up only your whining about Favre last year. It was hilarious how much you did.

Still whining about what money it cost.

Im glad i took the favre side...just because people are proclaiming their side to be correct, doesnt mean they are...shall i link the standings again of the jets and packers?

not whining about the money not brought in..but if you lived in gb, you would understand it a little more..it means more here than it does anywhere else...you probably dont understand the $$ that favre brought to this city...the packers arent in high demand by the fans or other FAs...that needs to change somehow..

yes..id sign a guy to have depth..they didnt have a lot of it last year, did they?....bigby and rouse are fine..if you want to take the chance that theyll make it a full season..

youre way too obsessed with my cheering for the seahawks and saying 7-9 if they trade favre..why DO you keep bringing it up?...to try and say i was wrong? 6-10 sho...6-10 is not the new 13-3...turn the page...the days of ruling the division are over..you wanted this..so now what?

This FA talk is pointless because TT won't try to sign anyone anyway. So it doesn't matter if they want to come to GB or not.

We will get a Chiller and Frank Walker and continue to build through the draft by adding slot WRs and 3rd string QBs.

Yet he tried to get Canty into town...instead, he signed in the first place he visited.

Yet he tried to get Canty into town...instead, he signed in the first place he visited.

if gb was desirable...they wouldnt be 3rd on anyones visit list.....

same with seattle...a team that had won the nfc not long ago..new coach...no one is sure what to expect..youre seeing more players leave as opposed to arriving...

its either a lame duck season for the new coaches or TT..the giants situation is set...i didnt envision canty going to seattle either.....

we'll have to see whos next on the radar...(which is the only place to see them since they are still far away)

owen daniels? :huh:

if gb was desirable...they wouldnt be 3rd on anyones visit list.....

same with seattle...a team that had won the nfc not long ago..new coach...no one is sure what to expect..youre seeing more players leave as opposed to arriving...

its either a lame duck season for the new coaches or TT..the giants situation is set...i didnt envision canty going to seattle either.....

we'll have to see whos next on the radar...(which is the only place to see them since they are still far away)

owen daniels? :huh:

When they are 3rd on the call list...yes, they would be 3rd on the visit list.

He had already agreed to visits with the other two before getting GB's call.

And there were conflicting reports on him. His agent claiming GB was a good fit because of the 3-4...then I read elsewhere that he wanted to play in a 4-3.

Giants situation is obviously desirable a year removed from winning the SB and still in a window of being contenders for the title. Tough to fight with that plus the 17 mil he got guaranteed (which some think is a bit much). I think GB could have paid it...but did not seem to want to put any offers out without coming in for a visit.

Daniels? Why? Again, not a big need. Liked him since the UW days...but there are more FAs out there than just UW guys.

There are a few other 3-4 DEs out there. None are flashy...though, 3-4 DEs are not flashy guys with big stats. Look at Canty's stats, nothing to really get excited about...but he was a top 3-4 DE. Now a move to DT for him in NY.

That sucks Canty signed with the Giants, I really think TT needs to bring some people in to help with the transistion to the 3-4 and Canty would have been a nice addition, mostly because he's a definite starter, and he's solid. We have alot of holes on defense, and they can't all be fixed by the draft.

JSonline says Green Bay is pursuing Igor Olshansky...even though I've read some bad things about him, I would be ok with that, but would have MUCH rather had Canty. TT's style though, as Olshansky will come much cheaper.

Oh and Shonuff, just stop dude. Seriously, just stop arguing with BMoney. There is no way that guy is serious. He's just trying to piss you off.

That sucks Canty signed with the Giants, I really think TT needs to bring some people in to help with the transistion to the 3-4 and Canty would have been a nice addition, mostly because he's a definite starter, and he's solid. We have alot of holes on defense, and they can't all be fixed by the draft.

JSonline says Green Bay is pursuing Igor Olshansky...I've read some bad things about him, and I would be ok with that, but would have MUCH rather had Canty. TT's style though, as Olshansky will come much cheaper.

Oh and Shonuff, just stop dude. Seriously, just stop arguing with BMoney. There is no way that guy is serious. He's just trying to piss you off.

Agreed on Canty...though I am happy TT is not doling out offers to guys before they come in to visit. By the accounts of Canty's agent, it seems thats what they wanted. Ball tried to get him to visit before signing with NY, they were unwilling to come in without some sort of offer.

Heard the same things about Olshansky. He and Canty were guys talked about before FA started and then some of the attitude issues with Olshansky came out (something about laziness). At least its not big time off the field issues though.

I think they should go with a guy like Olshansky and at least another guy or two (an LB please).

Agreed on Canty...though I am happy TT is not doling out offers to guys before they come in to visit. By the accounts of Canty's agent, it seems thats what they wanted. Ball tried to get him to visit before signing with NY, they were unwilling to come in without some sort of offer.

Heard the same things about Olshansky. He and Canty were guys talked about before FA started and then some of the attitude issues with Olshansky came out (something about laziness). At least its not big time off the field issues though.

I think they should go with a guy like Olshansky and at least another guy or two (an LB please).

Definately need a DE, LB, and another DT. Pickett can't take all the snaps there and there is a good chance Raji is gone by the time we pick. Harrell and Jolly are DE's now, and both of them are questionable (Harrel health, Jolly suspension). Our DLine needs alot of work, who knows how good Jenkings is going to be coming back from that injury. I would have hoped TT addressed at least part of the problem with Canty, that one really gets me because we all saw last year what a poor line can do to a defense, and TT is not addressing the issue at all.

I understand being frugal in the free agent market, I'm glad the Packers don't get all stupid ala Redskins, but sometimes somebody needs to be added and although slightly overpriced, I think Canty was a reasonable addition for a team that desperately needed help in the area.

Again, I know TT sticks to his guns and won't overpay for guys...and he still ended getting some decent players like Woodson and Pickett, but once and a while you might have to overpay just a bit to build a contender. Not every year, but this defensive line is depleted, and if Johnny freaking Jolly is the starter come opening day,and Ryan Pickett is taking too many snaps then this team is in trouble. And as of right now, it looks as if that is what TT is going for.

Definately need a DE, LB, and another DT. Pickett can't take all the snaps there and there is a good chance Raji is gone by the time we pick. Harrell and Jolly are DE's now, and both of them are questionable (Harrel health, Jolly suspension). Our DLine needs alot of work, who knows how good Jenkings is going to be coming back from that injury. I would have hoped TT addressed at least part of the problem with Canty, that one really gets me because we all saw last year what a poor line can do to a defense, and TT is not addressing the issue at all.

I understand being frugal in the free agent market, I'm glad the Packers don't get all stupid ala Redskins, but sometimes somebody needs to be added and although slightly overpriced, I think Canty was a reasonable addition for a team that desperately needed help in the area.

Again, I know TT sticks to his guns and won't overpay for guys...and he still ended getting some decent players like Woodson and Pickett, but once and a while you might have to overpay just a bit to build a contender. Not every year, but this defensive line is depleted, and if Johnny freaking Jolly is the starter come opening day,and Ryan Pickett is taking too many snaps then this team is in trouble. And as of right now, it looks as if that is what TT is going for.

I don't think TT is not addressing it. He is not going out and making any huge signings for guys like Scott. But he did make the effort with Canty. In the end, Canty and his agent wanted an offer before ever even meeting with GB, and thankfully GB is not going to do something like that. As much as I would have liked to have him in...I don't want the team putting out offers without meeting with a guy.

Olshansky has his concerns...but production wise he is not much different than Canty if you look at their numbers. Would rather have Canty as I think he has a higher ceiling.

But really what FA has signed that TT just ignored that would have been a big impact kind of guy. There really are not alot out there.

This is more of a TT kind of free agency...a lot of 2nd tier kind of guys this year.

Jolly was the starter 2 years ago when the D was very good as well. I hope he is the starter come opening day (or at least is around and not in jail or suspended).

I don't think TT is not addressing it. He is not going out and making any huge signings for guys like Scott. But he did make the effort with Canty. In the end, Canty and his agent wanted an offer before ever even meeting with GB, and thankfully GB is not going to do something like that. As much as I would have liked to have him in...I don't want the team putting out offers without meeting with a guy.

Olshansky has his concerns...but production wise he is not much different than Canty if you look at their numbers. Would rather have Canty as I think he has a higher ceiling.

But really what FA has signed that TT just ignored that would have been a big impact kind of guy. There really are not alot out there.

This is more of a TT kind of free agency...a lot of 2nd tier kind of guys this year.

Jolly was the starter 2 years ago when the D was very good as well. I hope he is the starter come opening day (or at least is around and not in jail or suspended).

Ya I don't fully understand what happened with Canty, I would think TT could have given them a ballpark figure, and Canty would want to meet if that figure was to his liking, however it seems like they jumped on the offer from NY and GB couldn't really do much to counter.

Jolly was ok 2 years ago, but seemed to regress last year. Even if Olshansky comes in, he also had a pretty down year last year and I believe he was even taken out on passing plays. Still, he'd be a good addition just to build some depth which is my major concern right now. I just want some players in the rotation.

And there is a chance, a BIG chance, that IF Harrell comes back healthy he could produce. He has the frame to be a prototypical DE in the 3-4. Unlike most Pack fans, I am reluctant to give up on the guy just yet. Haynesworth did nothing his first few years in Tennessee, and look how he ended up. Now I'm not saying he is anywhere near Haynesworth, just saying IF he stays healthy he could be a very nice surprise this year.

Right now I would really like to have:

Jenkins, Pickett, Olshansky, Raji, Harrel, and Jolly all getting reps on the line. I would be more than happy with this. To me DLine is the most important part of the defense. I think a good DLine can make average LBs look great...while a poor DLine can make great LBs look like crap.

Ya I don't fully understand what happened with Canty, I would think TT could have given them a ballpark figure, and Canty would want to meet if that figure was to his liking, however it seems like they jumped on the offer from NY and GB couldn't really do much to counter.

Jolly was ok 2 years ago, but seemed to regress last year. Even if Olshansky comes in, he also had a pretty down year last year and I believe he was even taken out on passing plays. Still, he'd be a good addition just to build some depth which is my major concern right now. I just want some players in the rotation.

And there is a chance, a BIG chance, that IF Harrell comes back healthy he could produce. He has the frame to be a prototypical DE in the 3-4. Unlike most Pack fans, I am reluctant to give up on the guy just yet. Haynesworth did nothing his first few years in Tennessee, and look how he ended up. Now I'm not saying he is anywhere near Haynesworth, just saying IF he stays healthy he could be a very nice surprise this year.

Right now I would really like to have:

Jenkins, Pickett, Olshansky, Raji, Harrel, and Jolly all getting reps on the line. I would be more than happy with this. To me DLine is the most important part of the defense. I think a good DLine can make average LBs look great...while a poor DLine can make great LBs look like crap.

I have not given up on Harrell, just not holding my breath.

It was at least good that he was in town doing rehab rather than this on their own kind of thing.

But he did make the effort with Canty.

You say this and its true for TT. It is a solid TT effort. But how many guys want to hear "we are interested in you, come in to visit". They hear that from a lot of teams. In the end if a SB calibar team comes out and offers him a deal, he will skip the GB visit and that is what he did.

With the transition to a 3-4, Canty was perhaps the most valuable player in FA for GB. And while it was solid effort for TT, it was half-assed in the FA world. Other teams get it done, and do the Giants or other teams not called the Cowboys, Redskins, or Raiders ever get into cap trouble, or stuck with overpaid guys? Not that often.

Bottom line is other GMs show more will to win. TT has such a big ego that he thinks he is the greatest drafter in the history of the draft. And that he can just build a winner in 5 more years doing so. I'd be happy about a lack of FA spending if his drafts were all As. But so far his drafts are average. Can't build a winner through countless average drafts and sitting on a hope that things will all click in a season. With his drafting along with a lack of spending on proven players, this will be a 6-10 to 10-6 team. The years they sneak into the playoffs, TT backers will bump their chests while they get bounced in the 1st round. The years they miss the playoffs the TT critics will sing the sameold song and dance we have performed this offseason.

You say this and its true for TT. It is a solid TT effort. But how many guys want to hear "we are interested in you, come in to visit". They hear that from a lot of teams. In the end if a SB calibar team comes out and offers him a deal, he will skip the GB visit and that is what he did.

With the transition to a 3-4, Canty was perhaps the most valuable player in FA for GB. And while it was solid effort for TT, it was half-assed in the FA world. Other teams get it done, and do the Giants or other teams not called the Cowboys, Redskins, or Raiders ever get into cap trouble, or stuck with overpaid guy? Not that often.

Bottom line is other GMs show more will to win. TT has such a big ego that he thinks he is the greatest drafter in the history of the draft. And that he can just build a winner in 5 more years doing so. I'd be happy about a lack of FA spending if his drafts were all As. But so far his drafts are average. Can't build a winner through countless average drafts and sitting on a hope that things will all click in a season. With his drafting along with a lack of spending on proven players, this will be a 6-10 to 10-6 team. The years they sneak into the playoffs, TT backers will bunp their chests while they get bounced in the 1st round. The years they miss the players the TT critics will sing the sameold song and dance we have performed this offseason.

I will then ask you the question.

Do you think a GM should be offering guys millions of dollars having never met with them?

Which of the following SB teams was won because of big time FA moves.

2008 Steelers

2007 Giants

2006 Colts

2005 Steelers

2004 Pats

The Pats are the only ones to come close with a move for Corey Dillon. And they had the same record the previous year and won it all without Dillon.

Now, who are the biggest players usually in free agency? Raiders? Redskins? Tell me again how well they have done.

Every GM has a big ego...its not that TT thinks he does not have to sign anyone (never have I heard him come even close to this type of attitude). He just refuses to go out and jump and overspend on any one guy. Especially before even meeting with him.

I think any year he does not win it all the TT critics will be out in full force whining about moves they thought he should have made. There is little he can do to make some of you happy.

I will then ask you the question.

Do you think a GM should be offering guys millions of dollars having never met with them?

Which of the following SB teams was won because of big time FA moves.

2008 Steelers

2007 Giants

2006 Colts

2005 Steelers

2004 Pats

The Pats are the only ones to come close with a move for Corey Dillon. And they had the same record the previous year and won it all without Dillon.

Now, who are the biggest players usually in free agency? Raiders? Redskins? Tell me again how well they have done.

Every GM has a big ego...its not that TT thinks he does not have to sign anyone (never have I heard him come even close to this type of attitude). He just refuses to go out and jump and overspend on any one guy. Especially before even meeting with him.

I think any year he does not win it all the TT critics will be out in full force whining about moves they thought he should have made. There is little he can do to make some of you happy.

Ok...He could have made a ballpark offer. Sometimes you have to take risk. Giants made him an offer and he went to visit, then he signed. Why couldn't they do that?

Not many of them used FA much. But tell me where our, P. Manning, M. Harrison, R. Wayne, D. Freeney, Big Ben, T. Polo, L. Woodley, Justin Tuck, Osi. Tell me where these guys are on the PAckers roster? These teams are so great because they rarely miss on their 1st 2nd and 3rd rounders. They can actually draft!

I never said go and be the biggest player in FA like the Redskins....did I? TT critics will get off his back once he shows a will to create a winner. What is the worst that can happen by over paying slightly for a player that can play the game? Will it be worse than a 6-10 season? You tell me what is the worst that can happen?

You are like the kid that steps up to the plate and doesn't swing. Too afraid to mess up and too afraid to win. Just "hopes" he gets 4 balls and gets to walk to first.

Ok...He could have made a ballpark offer. Sometimes you have to take risk. Giants made him an offer and he went to visit, then he signed. Why couldn't they do that?

Not many of them used FA much. But tell me where our, P. Manning, M. Harrison, R. Wayne, D. Freeney, Big Ben, T. Polo, L. Woodley, Justin Tuck, Osi. Tell me where these guys are on the PAckers roster? These teams are so great because they rarely miss on their 1st 2nd and 3rd rounders. They can actually draft!

I never said go and be the biggest player in FA like the Redskins....did I? TT critics will get off his back once he shows a will to create a winner. What is the worst that can happen by over paying slightly for a player that can play the game? Will it be worse than a 6-10 season? You tell me what is the worst that can happen?

You are like the kid that steps up to the plate and doesn't swing. Too afraid to mess up and too afraid to win. Just "hopes" he gets 4 balls and gets to walk to first.

I did not see that the Giants ever made an offer before he visited. He was there, having dinner with them...then started talking money after that from every account I had heard.

His agent then told the Packers what the offer was...and wanted a $$$ amount. The Packers after hearing that $$$ still wanted him to come in and visit. You would think that would be a sign that they were willing to at least match it wouldnt you?

As for your question...TT does need to do better, Im not saying he has been perfect or has drafted that perfectly (despite your tries, I have never claimed as such).

Could Jennings be one of those guys? Rodgers?...and so on? Not sure yet. They definitely need to step up.

You don't think he has the will to create a winner? THe problem is many fans don't see that will unless a guy is out there signing free agents. Boards like this get whipped up into a frenzy over free agent deals.

Your last line is completely ridiculous.

Had his best year this year. He has the size and frame to just be a beast...but has yet to show it. Inconsistent.

I thought it odd though they thought it was a big deal to possibly try to keep him. He does not seem to fit the mold of the NT or DE in a 3-4...almost a tweener. Not a great rusher, but can do decent against the run. The kind of guy you don't want to overpay.

Ill just say most fans won't care too much that he is gone.

Hoping you all get him and let us have Canty (if the Giants don't get him first).

I don't care what you think.

I did not see that the Giants ever made an offer before he visited. He was there, having dinner with them...then started talking money after that from every account I had heard.

His agent then told the Packers what the offer was...and wanted a $$$ amount. The Packers after hearing that $$$ still wanted him to come in and visit. You would think that would be a sign that they were willing to at least match it wouldnt you?

As for your question...TT does need to do better, Im not saying he has been perfect or has drafted that perfectly (despite your tries, I have never claimed as such).

Could Jennings be one of those guys? Rodgers?...and so on? Not sure yet. They definitely need to step up.

You don't think he has the will to create a winner? THe problem is many fans don't see that will unless a guy is out there signing free agents. Boards like this get whipped up into a frenzy over free agent deals.

Your last line is completely ridiculous.

Well where would Canty rather be? With the same offer? Giant or Packers? Along side Tuck, Osi and the boys, or Pickett?

Jennings is one of those guys, although its hard to compare him to Marvin who is a 1st ballet HOFer in my opinion. Rodgers...sure he could be, but Manning? After those 2 I see no other comparible guys to those kinds of players...not close...

I nor many others here are mad he isn't making huge deals, but I'm sick of Frank Walkers. You don't have to make the headline each year, but making some moves while having cap room would be nice. a 6-10 team doesn't need more backup players.

The last line is right on in my opinion. It isn't life or death. What is the worst that can happen by over-paying slightly for a good player? Not much.

Well where would Canty rather be? With the same offer? Giant or Packers? Along side Tuck, Osi and the boys, or Pickett?

Jennings is one of those guys, although its hard to compare him to Marvin who is a 1st ballet HOFer in my opinion. Rodgers...sure he could be, but Manning? After those 2 I see no other comparible guys to those kinds of players...not close...

I nor many others here are mad he isn't making huge deals, but I'm sick of Frank Walkers. You don't have to make the headline each year, but making some moves while having cap room would be nice. a 6-10 team doesn't need more backup players.

The last line is right on in my opinion. It isn't life or death. What is the worst that can happen by over-paying slightly for a good player? Not much.

Hell, with even a lesser offer I would pick the Giants.

I think they will make a few moves. Olshansky appears to be next. Also hoping for an LB. But I have not seen much that was really that enticing in this year's crop of defensive FAs...I think there is more value right now in a few of the olinemen.

Depends on the player. The worst thing that can happen is you have bloated contracts like Sherman strapped this team with (Joe Johnson, Hunt, Nickerson).

I think they will make a few moves. Olshansky appears to be next. Also hoping for an LB. But I have not seen much that was really that enticing in this year's crop of defensive FAs...I think there is more value right now in a few of the olinemen.

Depends on the player. The worst thing that can happen is you have bloated contracts like Sherman strapped this team with (Joe Johnson, Hunt, Nickerson).

I liked Joe Johnson, great player. He cam eover and got hurt, and was never the guy he was for the Saints. Nickerson was just stupid, he was old. I don't remember the Hunt situation, I think he was just overated inside the Packers organization.

I'm not for going out and paying a bunch for older players, but younger or a player in their prime....I have no problem paying a good dollar for is they are historically good people and good workers.

and thats what I was saying before..the packers arent far removed from the nfc title game they were in..but if you look at this roster, it surely feels this way... seattle...chicago...green bay...throw them in a bag and mix them up..all sadly the same right now...they need a BIG time player...TTs has been coupon clipping and pinching pennies for ages...who wouldnt want to play on a defense with Ray Lewis? guys like that are like coaches on the field...

I dont have issues with a 3-4..but everything is being done in a desperate way...those coaches last year would be given bonuses if they had the ravens defense...

it just seems like an excuse for TT and the staff to buy themselves another year..if they flop..they will say wait..it takes 2 years to get it molded right..and Murphy will agree and on we go...

and thats what I was saying before..the packers arent far removed from the nfc title game they were in..but if you look at this roster, it surely feels this way... seattle...chicago...green bay...throw them in a bag and mix them up..all sadly the same right now...they need a BIG time player...TTs has been coupon clipping and pinching pennies for ages...who wouldnt want to play on a defense with Ray Lewis? guys like that are like coaches on the field...

I dont have issues with a 3-4..but everything is being done in a desperate way...those coaches last year would be given bonuses if they had the ravens defense...

it just seems like an excuse for TT and the staff to buy themselves another year..if they flop..they will say wait..it takes 2 years to get it molded right..and Murphy will agree and on we go...

Agree. I think the culture of good defenses is all about the players. The Ravens with a totally different roster than the record breaking 2000 D is still a top 3 D each year. Why? Ray Lewis and the mindset he brings to the team. Add that to great drafts each year and you have a winner. Terrell Suggs 1st rounder, Ngata 1st rounder, Ed Reed 1st rounder, they built through the draft and actually nailed these picks. Nick Collins had a good year is he Ed Reed? No. Hawk to some is a good player, I say average...either way is he Suggs? No. Harrell, Jolly, Pickett and whoever else is half the player Ngata is. Why are they able to find All Pro talent in the 1st round each and every year? If their drafting is an A why is TTs considered a C+ to a B by many? The players do not add up.

Is TT blowing picks left and right? No, I'm saying that at all. But in order to build strictly through the draft you need to really hit on some Suggs/Reed type talent. A couple solid picks with a few average picks with a few Harrell picks creates an average team.

If he was pulling Reeds out of the draft I would say hell with FA, but he isn't.

And I agree the 3-4 gives them extra time. (not saying thats why the switched, its just a fact)

Soon enough the CBs will be too old, Tramon and Pat Lee could be good, but it will still be a down grade. Each year everyone plays the "young team" card. So it gives a reason not to add players to improve the team. Everyone thinks each player will progress and that is how the Packers will get better. This is going to be the same looking team that went 6-10 last year, with a couple players added for depth. They could easily go 9-7 and win the pathetic NFC North. I guess TT would be excited about that.

No...you were acting as if GB was not even a desirable place for anyone to even think about.

Big difference between that and what you are saying now.

Yup...so penny pinching that he has proven over and over to pay his team very well and reward the core guys with nice contracts.

I don't want Ray Lewis...not his current production with his current price tag.

Actually...much is being done that is not in a desparate way...or TT would be out signing guys left and right like some other owners.

Bedard's take on free agency...how other teams skirt the rules...and Canty...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/40573202.html

Fans should really forget about Reggie White and the rest of those guys. It's a completely different era of free agency right now. Can free agency help win you a Super Bowl now? It doesn't appear so. Out of the past 10 Super Bowl champions, only New England's first world championship team in 2001 was able to rely on players developed elsewhere. And they kind of caught the league off guard by signing a bunch of players that most thought to be washed up. They perfected that and since then, everybody has caught on and tried to do the same thing.

Can free agency, used in moderation, help a team get better? Sure. But there's always a trade off. Like I wrote over on Insider, with the Packers having 11 players coming up on free agency after the '09 season -- including Greg Jennings, Nick Collins, Aaron Kampman and Daryn Colledge -- Green Bay probably wouldn't have been able to afford at least one from the Jennings/Collins/Kampman group if it signed a guy like Canty. Would that be worth it to you? The Packers think not.

Well, I know it drives the fans crazy. But you have to understand that NFL free agency -- no matter how much the league wants it pushed because it helps them stay in the headlines -- is not like it is in baseball. Rarely do good players make it to free agency in football. And those that do are paid ridiculous amounts of money and often don't deliver.

No...you were acting as if GB was not even a desirable place for anyone to even think about.

Big difference between that and what you are saying now.

Yup...so penny pinching that he has proven over and over to pay his team very well and reward the core guys with nice contracts.

I don't want Ray Lewis...not his current production with his current price tag.

Actually...much is being done that is not in a desparate way...or TT would be out signing guys left and right like some other owners.

well, im not alone with the thinking..it was THE topic on the radio today..do you ever call here? id follow you up and give you praises...but basically harry sydney kept saying..what is the main reason that anyone would want to sign here?

and i agree..and i do love this lil ol town..but for a young nfl guy?...its apotential lame duck season...

we wont get ray lewis but that focker means business and doesnt take plays off..he could lessen the pressure of the new defense...and help the other guys.. why not jason taylor also if the price is right?.....

they cant say hey...13-3..favre..grant and we're 1play away..be the difference...they really need to sell it now...

andwhy cant they GO to anyone?...ryan was at bart scotts door? the packers need to do more than just call....

and the talk about how FA doesnt work? thats like MLB fans saying they dont need a cap because there are so many teams paying huge $ and not winning titles..its still helping..as is FA in football..

you told me all year how much it helped the jets..

the pats brought in moss after another solid cheating year....this year..fred taylor...

the giants add on....

the seahawks got hasselzadeh..the longest td combo in nfl history (maybe)....

do the packers have the players to just switch to a 3-4?...poppinga is the Ds highest paid guy? can that be right?...maybe TTs way will work but it sure is boring as fock...

that was the hottopic..all the guys due to sign next year and yeah..decent players..though they were players ON the 6-10 team...if this team suffers through yet another bad season..why would those FAs want to stay?..whats their incentive to stay?...

I just set an FFT record for most ?'s used in a post..sorry... :thumbsup:

This right here is a great point.

While the Jets were going strong it was because of the FAs they brought in.

Of course Sho Nuff will say ...where did they end up? And that is true. But overall a 6-10 team with space could use some help. Even more so in a transition to a 3-4 D. Maybe there will be a few worth while players left when TT gets the itch. You know guys like Frank Walker and Brandon Chillar.

Haynesworth was a crappy signing. The guy is like teh 7th highest paid player ever and has never played 16 games. I am not looking to make the big splash but some help would be nice.

and the talk about how FA doesnt work? thats like MLB fans saying they dont need a cap because there are so many teams paying huge $ and not winning titles..its still helping..as is FA in football..

I got rid of most of the first part of you post because you were either drunk or channeling GFIAFP...some rambling there.

As for the Jets. I told you that Favre was not their only addition last year and their additions did help them. It can help...never have I denied that.

the pats brought in moss after another solid cheating year....this year..fred taylor...

Moss was not a free agent....and like with the Giants and Hawks...we have no clue what Taylor or this year's FAs will do yet.

do the packers have the players to just switch to a 3-4?...poppinga is the Ds highest paid guy? can that be right?...maybe TTs way will work but it sure is boring as fock...

Does the season start tomorrow? Is free agency over? The draft? Why get all uptight about who is ready for the 3-4 on March 2nd?

that was the hottopic..all the guys due to sign next year and yeah..decent players..though they were players ON the 6-10 team...if this team suffers through yet another bad season..why would those FAs want to stay?..whats their incentive to stay?...

Yup...those guys were around for 6-10...why should the good ones not be resigned? What are you getting at by saying they were on that team?

Why would they want to stay...because despite your opinion on the topic, GB is still a desirable place to go...agents still like Thompson's approach (as Bedard mentioned) because you know he is shooting you straight and not just telling you BS to get your guy to come visit.

This right here is a great point.

While the Jets were going strong it was because of the FAs they brought in.

Of course Sho Nuff will say ...where did they end up? And that is true. But overall a 6-10 team with space could use some help. Even more so in a transition to a 3-4 D. Maybe there will be a few worth while players left when TT gets the itch. You know guys like Frank Walker and Brandon Chillar.

Haynesworth was a crappy signing. The guy is like teh 7th highest paid player ever and has never played 16 games. I am not looking to make the big splash but some help would be nice.

Nope...just like with those who whine about people even mentioning injuries as part of why GB was not good last year...FA was never the end all be all for why the Jets improved.

Their development of their younger guys...including several top top draft picks on their Oline, guys like Keller as well, Leon Washington...in addition to some of the guys they brought in were a part of it.

Nobody is saying they could not use some help. nobody here is saying don't sign anyone. But what I am saying is don't go nuts because GB does not sign someone the first several days of free agency.

I got rid of most of the first part of you post because you were either drunk or channeling GFIAFP...some rambling there.

As for the Jets. I told you that Favre was not their only addition last year and their additions did help them. It can help...never have I denied that.

Moss was not a free agent....and like with the Giants and Hawks...we have no clue what Taylor or this year's FAs will do yet.

of course Moss wasnt a FA..he was a trade that TT backed off on.......

So who is the backup QB this year?

Brian "2nd round" Brohm

Matt "A college game managing QB" Flynn

or do they add someone?

of course Moss wasnt a FA..he was a trade that TT backed off on.......

TT did not back off on that trade...he got outbid by the Pats.

So who is the backup QB this year?

Brian "2nd round" Brohm

Matt "A college game managing QB" Flynn

or do they add someone?

Not sure they add anyone before late summer. Maybe bring in a 4th guy prior to camp. But I don't see them doing much unless they trade Flynn somehow. Brohm does not have enough value to trade right now and I don't think they want to give up on either of them to bring in a retread backup.

Not sure they add anyone before late summer. Maybe bring in a 4th guy prior to camp. But I don't see them doing much unless they trade Flynn somehow. Brohm does not have enough value to trade right now and I don't think they want to give up on either of them to bring in a retread backup.

I don't know why they would keep Flynn? He has very limited upside. Brohm they have to keep based on "potential".

Did you see them last year. I know both rookies, but Brohm was terrible in the preseason, hence getting beat out by Flynn. And did you see Flynn in the few snaps he took? Flynn is like a HS QB out there.

If Rodgers goes down for any part of the season, expect automatic losses (unless playing the Lions) Unless Brohm improves a bunch over 1 year they do not have a backup level QB.

I say keep Brohm as a project, and get rid of Flynn while picking up a guy with any experience what so ever...

I don't know why they would keep Flynn? He has very limited upside. Brohm they have to keep based on "potential".

Did you see them last year. I know both rookies, but Brohm was terrible in the preseason, hence getting beat out by Flynn. And did you see Flynn in the few snaps he took? Flynn is like a HS QB out there.

If Rodgers goes down for any part of the season, expect automatic losses (unless playing the Lions) Unless Brohm improves a bunch over 1 year they do not have a backup level QB.

I say keep Brohm as a project, and get rid of Flynn while picking up a guy with any experience what so ever...

Because they were rookies. Rodgers was awful in the preseason early on too.

Flynn has no upside because you say so? I think he is a long shot for sure. But the guy went though the SEC and has a national title.

Not sure what you ever saw that makes you think he just has no upside based on limited reps his rookie year.

Last year I was more worried about it...this year, it does not bother me as much.

Because they were rookies. Rodgers was awful in the preseason early on too.

Flynn has no upside because you say so? I think he is a long shot for sure. But the guy went though the SEC and has a national title.

Not sure what you ever saw that makes you think he just has no upside based on limited reps his rookie year.

Last year I was more worried about it...this year, it does not bother me as much.

I see no reason to keep both and not get a vet. You have teh future and young player in Rodgers, you have a 2nd year guy that is supposed to have all the potential in the world in Brohm. When would Flynn even get a shot? Or which ever one is looked at as teh 3rd string QB. Why not get a vet and have the combo of... franchise QB, vet who knows his stuff, and Brohm....a young talent....I suppose talent....he was supposed to have talent his Jr. year.

I see no reason to keep both and not get a vet. You have teh future and young player in Rodgers, you have a 2nd year guy that is supposed to have all the potential in the world in Brohm. When would Flynn even get a shot? Or which ever one is looked at as teh 3rd string QB. Why not get a vet and have the comb of... franchise QB, vet who knows his stuff, and Brohm....a young talent....I suppose talent....he was supposed to have talent his Jr. year.

Depends if they see anything in Flynn they really want to keep.

From an overall standpoint...yes, he is expendable. At the same time, if they value him enough, you don't want to let him get to Minny or Chicago to come back and bite you in the ass just because they spent a 2nd rounder on Brohm.

But your little digs on Brohm and Flynn are funny.

Tell me, who do you scout for. Since you obviously must know talent with that jab at Brohm plus you talk of Flynn having no upside. :dunno:

Depends if they see anything in Flynn they really want to keep.

From an overall standpoint...yes, he is expendable. At the same time, if they value him enough, you don't want to let him get to Minny or Chicago to come back and bite you in the ass just because they spent a 2nd rounder on Brohm.

But your little digs on Brohm and Flynn are funny.

Tell me, who do you scout for. Since you obviously must know talent with that jab at Brohm plus you talk of Flynn having no upside. :dunno:

I watched a bunch of Flynn in college. He never had much, or just was never given the oppurtunity to show it. He was drafted in the 7th round.

Brohm was supposed to be great, instead of improving he slipped to the 2nd round and got beat out by a guy who was a part time college QB.

So honestly I do not know what kind of QBs they are now. I don't expect much at a young age, but what I have seen in the NFL is bad. Not many 7th round QBs come with the "don't want them to bite you in the end" tag. Maybe they see something in Flynn behind the scenes, I honestly don't know. It is just a guess that a 7th round QB could be scrapped for a vet, especially when they have 2 other young QBs.

And I just pick on Brohm because I hated the pick, and he has really fell from "franchise QB" potential that he once supposedly had.

I watched a bunch of Flynn in college. He never had much, or just was never given the oppurtunity to show it. He was drafted in the 7th round.

Brohm was supposed to be great, instead of improving he slipped to the 2nd round and got beat out by a guy who was a part time college QB.

So honestly I do not know what kind of QBs they are now. I don't expect much at a young age, but what I have seen in the NFL is bad. Not many 7th round QBs come with the "don't want them to bite you in the end" tag. Maybe they see something in Flynn behind the scenes, I honestly don't know. It is just a guess that a 7th round QB could be scrapped for a vet, especially when they have 2 other young QBs.

And I just pick on Brohm because I hated the pick, and he has really fell from "franchise QB" potential that he once supposedly had.

Yup...7th round...when was Brady drafted? (look, Im not saying he is Tom Brady...just guys can be drafted in many places).

Flynn was not a part time QB. And Brohm had issues his senior year sure...probably did not help that his head coach left and went to Atlanta.

Sure...he could be scrapped...Im not saying its a terrible idea...but I don 't just write him off as having no upsdie based on being drafted in the 7th.

I thought the Brohm pick was fine. At the time we had no backup QB...we had a starter who had not made it through a season, and a possible 1st round talent QB fall to the 2nd.

Fell from franchise potential based on one season? Wow...I guess you thought the same about Rodgers after 1 year too right?

Yup...7th round...when was Brady drafted? (look, Im not saying he is Tom Brady...just guys can be drafted in many places).

Flynn was not a part time QB. And Brohm had issues his senior year sure...probably did not help that his head coach left and went to Atlanta.

Sure...he could be scrapped...Im not saying its a terrible idea...but I don 't just write him off as having no upsdie based on being drafted in the 7th.

I thought the Brohm pick was fine. At the time we had no backup QB...we had a starter who had not made it through a season, and a possible 1st round talent QB fall to the 2nd.

Fell from franchise potential based on one season? Wow...I guess you thought the same about Rodgers after 1 year too right?

You are so defensive. Wow, Ziggaty Woo. Sha Bam! haha...

I don't know what kind of QBs they are right now, they don't play and I don't attend practice. I just gave you my idea of keeping 2 young QBs and signing a vet.

Settle down.

You are so defensive. Wow, Ziggaty Woo. Sha Bam! haha...

I don't know what kind of QBs they are right now, they don't play and I don't attend practice. I just gave you my idea of keeping 2 young QBs and signing a vet.

Settle down.

Im not defensive...I am laughing at how you give up on guys after their rookie years and asked a question that you won't answer.

Did you think Rodgers was a bust after year one?