Sign in to follow this  
roroco

Haynesworth to the Redskins

Citing a "very well-connected league source," Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle reports that Albert Haynesworth will sign with the Redskins at the start of free agency unless the Titans swoop in late.

Zierlein, the son of Steelers OL coach Larry Zierlein, has a blog at Chron.com and does a radio show. His source says Haynesworth will get a deal totaling roughly $100 million that pays $15-16 million annually. Zierlein doesn't usually report and it's hard to see how the Skins will fit him under the salary cap, but this is the kind of megadeal Haynesworth is seeking. Feb. 24 - 1:44 pm et

Source: Houston Chronicle

The nice thing is that they will have to restructure every contract on the team to make this happen. Skins fan will be able to see everyone on this team retire in a Redskins's jersey in 2020. :dunno:

I still think it is Haynesworth using the Skins to drive up his cost, but this is still ridiculous.

Nice work Danny boy. Paying $15 million for a guy who sits out 1/3 of his team's defensive snaps, and still can't play a full season on a regular basis. Granted, he plays pretty well when he IS in there, but still. That's a lot of cap room tied up in one guy who's not all that dependable.

Nice work Danny boy. Paying $15 million for a guy who sits out 1/3 of his team's defensive snaps, and still can't play a full season on a regular basis. Granted, he plays pretty well when he IS in there, but still. That's a lot of cap room tied up in one guy who's not all that dependable.

I am not sold on him. I picked him out of free agency 3 weeks into this last season, he has been pretty inconsistent and hurt most of his career, he just got motivated and worked out real hard one offseason so he could get a good contract.

I am not sold on him. I picked him out of free agency 3 weeks into this last season, he has been pretty inconsistent and hurt most of his career, he just got motivated and worked out real hard one offseason so he could get a good contract.

Washington is a good place to get overpaid and to stop playing well.

Just one season?

How about the last 2 actually.

Just one season?

He has had good season, although the last two are the only ones that can can even come close to justifying that price tag. The bigger issue is that this guys is brittle - relatively speaking for the position. He has never made it through a full year without getting injured.

He has had good season, although the last two are the only ones that can can even come close to justifying that price tag. The bigger issue is that this guys is brittle - relatively speaking for the position. He has never made it through a full year without getting injured.

14 games of him is better than 16 games of almost anyone else at that position.

That said...it does not justify the money that Snyder is supposedly ready to throw at him.

Just one season?

Yes 2 but he was franchised for 2008 so he has still only preformed great when trying for a big contract the last 2 years. I don't buy the knock and think he just has grown into being a great player but you never know.

Agree he misses a few games and needs to be spelled but in these last 2 seasons of playing to his potential even with those limitations the Titans went from the worst D to 5th and 7th in the league. They have usually not looked even close to the same defense in the games he's missed either.

Agree he misses a few games and needs to be spelled but in these last 2 seasons of playing to his potential even with those limitations the Titans went from the worst D to 5th and 7th in the league. They have usually not looked even close to the same defense in the games he's missed either.

I think the Titans will still have a good defensive unit without Haynesworth. They won't be as dominant, but I think they'll still be a top 10 defense. Two years ago they collapsed when Haynesworth went out, but last year when they played Pittsburgh they didn't miss a beat without him.

I don't think they'll collapse without him for two reasons: The offense is much much better than 2 years ago. The addition of Chris Johnson has turned the plodding style (3 and outs galore) into a ball control unit, which keeps the defense much fresher. Secondly, the defense around Haynesworth is much better now. Finnegan and Griffin are budding stars that really came into their own last season. For all the knocks on Kearse, he played relatively well against the run (big surprise for me), and actually held up throughout the season. Jason Jones (2nd round rookie) looks like he'll be able to do well if needed to replace Albert.

Don't forget that Jim Washburn is the best D-Line coach in the league, and he routinely pumps out great players year after year. Just look at players like Kyle Vanden Bosch who has resurrected his career under Washburn, same thing with Tony Brown who they picked up in the middle of the season one year and he's been a starter since then.

I'm all for keeping Albert, but if his price tag is $100 million, see ya later. I would offer him 13 mil a year (a modest increase over Jared Allen's salary) over 5 years with 25-28 mil guaranteed. If he doesn't want it then let him go.

14 games of him is better than 16 games of almost anyone else at that position.

That said...it does not justify the money that Snyder is supposedly ready to throw at him.

That is the major problem. He is better then anyone else in the league at his spot, but they are paying him the amount that two other above average players would be getting paid. He is not worth that much. You pay retail for a guy like this, your depth is sacrificed and he can only live up to the amount you pay him. He is sure not going to exceed expectations.

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworthmag-glass_10x10.gif will become a $100 million man with the Washington Redskins on Friday barring any last-minute complications, according to his agent. Haynesworth agreed to terms on a 7-year, $100 million deal contract offer from the Redskins on Friday morning when free agency began. He is scheduled to travel to Washington, D.C. on Friday. If everything is approved with the contract and he passes a physical, a press conference should be scheduled for later in the day.The contract includes $41 million in guaranteed money, according to sources familiar with the situation. The base value of the contract could max out at around $115 million. Haynesworth is scheduled to earn $32 million over the first 13 months of the deal.

Report this morning from Tennessean. FOX sports is also reporting it.

If accurate this money is insane. :pointstosky: :pointstosky:

Not as insane as Deangelo Hall for 6 years 54 million. :pointstosky:

150 mil or so over the next 6 years for 2 players.

Seriously, how do they have the cap spac? It seems every year they make a splash in FA yet year after year they never seem to have cap problems. How can this be?

Seriously, how do they have the cap spac? It seems every year they make a splash in FA yet year after year they never seem to have cap problems. How can this be?

Big bonus' and constantly reworking contracts.

It's easy... They just extend the contract of every other player... Most of their team will be unmovable and ready to retire 5 years before the Redskins are finished paying them. Ridiculous.

Wow. Once again I would've loved for the Titans to keep him, but not at that price. I think the decision was easy this time.

I would've been upset if he would've left with something like a 5 year 65 million contract, because I think the Titans should've paid that. Now I'm actually relieved they didn't get into the bidding war for him.

But I'm a big Haynesworth fan and wish him the best in Washington, and I am relieved he atleast went to the NFC.

:overhead:

I'd prolly be more likely to :thumbsup: if my team didn't even have a starting offensive tackle on their roster and one of their rivals signed the best defensive tackle in the game. :music_guitarred:

I'd prolly be more likely to :thumbsup: if my team didn't even have a starting offensive tackle on their roster and one of their rivals signed the best defensive tackle in the game. :music_guitarred:

Why would anyone worry about an OT to go against a DT?

Why would anyone worry about an OT to go against a DT?

Do you watch football? Because if you do, you'd prolly noticed that teams with stud DT create sacks for their DEs.

Do you watch football? Because if you do, you'd prolly noticed that teams with stud DT create sacks for their DEs.

Nice backtracking there...I'm sure that's what you meant in your original post.

Nice backtracking there...I'm sure that's what you meant in your original post.

No backtracking here, shithead. :music_guitarred: You really going to tell me what I meant?

Id be worried about the guard and center that will have to block Haynesworth...not the guy that will be blocking Taylor's backup.

The perpetrator of one of the top ten cheapest plays in the history of the league becomes the highest paid defensive player. There's just something wrong with that.

Id be worried about the guard and center that will have to block Haynesworth...not the guy that will be blocking Taylor's backup.

:rolleyes:

Of course, you're going to be someone to nitpick just for the sake of argument. Point being, our D-line got a helluva lot better and the iggles O-line is a mess right now. There...is that better?

The perpetrator of one of the top ten cheapest plays in the history of the league becomes the highest paid defensive player. There's just something wrong with that.

Any guy that stomps a cowboys face, is going to welcomed into Redskin nation. :rolleyes:

Is he gonna be playing offensive line for them, because that's the weakest part of the team?

Washington will still be at the bottom of the division next year. This signing should get them there quicker. :rolleyes:

Is he gonna be playing offensive line for them, because that's the weakest part of the team?

Washington will still be at the bottom of the division next year. This signing should get them there quicker. :rolleyes:

We can take a OT will the 13th pick now and possibly get Dockery back.

Our line didn't seem to have too much trouble with the iggles as I recall though.:wave:

We can take a OT will the 13th pick now and possibly get Dockery back.

Our line didn't seem to have too much trouble with the iggles as I recall though.:rolleyes:

They also didn't have trouble collapsing during last season, finishing last in the division, and not making the playoffs.

Dockery can't play for the Bills. So by getting him back, it's an upgrade to what they already have?

28th in points scored last season and they go out and overpay for a 2 down DT and over-rated, hot headed CB?

Smart. :wave:

Any guy that stomps a cowboys face, is going to welcomed into Redskin nation. :rolleyes:

first thing i thought of....tony romo just crapped himself...

They also didn't have trouble collapsing during last season, finishing last in the division, and not making the playoffs.

Dockery can't play for the Bills. So by getting him back, it's an upgrade to what they already have?

28th in points scored last season and they go out and overpay for a 2 down DT and over-rated, hot headed CB?

Smart. :rolleyes:

It's amazing how you guys miraculously back into the playoffs and suddenly history is revised. You guys won one more game than the Skins last year and we beat you twice. Our teams are a lot closer than you're willing to admit.

Any guy that stomps a cowboys face, is going to welcomed into Redskin nation. :overhead:

Oh sh!t. I forgot it was a Cowboy he stomped. :doh:

Forget I said anything.

when do the redskins announce ticket price increases and how much $$ are we talking here?

d hall? :overhead: haynesworth...worth the risk..but hall? are there no d backs left?...

I'd prolly be more likely to :blink: if my team didn't even have a starting offensive tackle on their roster and one of their rivals signed the best defensive tackle in the game. :overhead:

He will be the biggest bust free agent this season, write it down.

I love Danny Boy, he's awesome.

Overpaying players is an artform.

:unsure: