Sign in to follow this  
Joey Gladstone

Julian Peterson traded to Lions

I dont know whether this is a downgrade or an upgrade for Julian Petersons fantasy value. He should have less talent around him to compete for tackles, and he should be on the field more, so i am leaning towards that this is a positive for him.

Thoughts on Redding Lions homers?

Everything I've read on him, has him not fitting our defense. And we just gave up one of our top two pass rushers. Money grubbing move

Redding is a tweener of a d-lineman.

Not quite fast enough to get off the corner, not quite big enough to be a consistent run stuffer.

He is a role player that can fit in with talent around him.

But he is cheap in comparison to the elevated contracts going to d-lineman this off season.

Was he worth being traded for possibly the best linebacker in the league, time will tell.

Everything I've read on him, has him not fitting our defense. And we just gave up one of our top two pass rushers. Money grubbing move

redding got his new contract a couple of years ago and then fell off the face of the earth. i'm positive this was a salary dump on the lions part...i hope for the seahawks sake he renegotiates his contract. he's owed a boatload of money going forward. and i don't see that that seahawks got equal talent back in this trade, which is perplexing to me (but, hey, i like it).

not sure what peteron's contract is...the difference between whatever his contract is and redding's is that peterson is probably worth what he's getting paid. redding was not worth his contract.

another solid move by mayhew (still skeptical, just saying the guy has pressed a lot of right buttons since taking over).

redding got his new contract a couple of years ago and then fell off the face of the earth. i'm positive this was a salary dump on the lions part...i hope for the seahawks sake he renegotiates his contract. he's owed a boatload of money going forward. and i don't see that that seahawks got equal talent back in this trade, which is perplexing to me (but, hey, i like it).

another solid move by mayhew (still skeptical, just saying the guy has pressed a lot of right buttons since taking over).

I think i read that a reworked contract was part of the trade.

I think i read that a reworked contract was part of the trade.

that would make sense...i sure would hope the seahawks made that part of the requirement.

Redding Deal

Redding has also redone his deal to accommodate the Hawks. More will be revealed on that I am sure.

One thing is for sure now, the team has five DTs who can play, so expect them to ignore that position until maybe the 7th. Redding will surprise many now that he is paired with Mebane. He is the perfect 3-tech to play along side big Brandon.

http://www.seahawkaddicts.com/2009/03/aaro...sure-thing.html

One thing is for sure now, the team has five DTs who can play, so expect them to ignore that position until maybe the 7th. Redding will surprise many now that he is paired with Mebane. He is the perfect 3-tech to play along side big Brandon.

http://www.seahawkaddicts.com/2009/03/aaro...sure-thing.html

At least this will end all the mock drafts with Raji going to us. Monroe or Crabtree (assuming Curry will be a Chief)

I like the deal for the Lions. I was surprised to see them give up a 5th rounder as well, but no question that Peterson is worth it. The only thing that gets me is that the Lions filled one position, but now they have a need in another. Is it possible that they take Raji at 1? I still want to see Curry in a Lions uni, but this trade definitely gives the Lions more options.

I like the deal for the Lions. I was surprised to see them give up a 5th rounder as well, but no question that Peterson is worth it. The only thing that gets me is that the Lions filled one position, but now they have a need in another. Is it possible that they take Raji at 1? I still want to see Curry in a Lions uni, but this trade definitely gives the Lions more options.

I would think Raji would have to a be a big time once in a generation type player to be the no.1 overall pick. Could it happen? Sure. Do I think it's likely? No. I don't know much about Raji. Can he be a game changing DT?

linebacker was a more acute need than d-tackle...both are needs, but lb was an even bigger need.

they could get a good dt at either 20 (perry) or 2.1 (brace?) who would be upgrades over redding.

i think this points to the lions either drafting smith at 1 or stafford--or trading for cutler.

After thinking about it and doing some more research about Redding, I'm really excited about this deal.

I hate to see Peterson go, but after refusing a pay cut, we were going to cut him anyways. Very good linebacker who is coming off a bad year along with the rest of our defense. He's not getting any younger, he's lost a step (though he's still very fast) takes bad angles more then I would like to see and has a problem with not wrapping up on his tackles (thats going to drive you nuts lion fans). Still one of the best linebackers in the league, but I was happy to get the compensation we did for him.

Redding will be 29 this season, he's big, he has great strength, he's versatile and he demands double teams. Having actual defensive talent around him should do wonders for him. In smaller news yesterday, we resigned DD Lewis, so we'll be ok at LB even if Curry doesn't fall to us. When we went to the SB our starting LB's were Hill, Tatupu and DD Lewis. Hill can now slide over to Peterson's spot as a pass rusher (he had 8 sacks his rookie season) and we can keep him out of pass coverage, which is definitely the weakest part of his game (and one of Lewis' strenghs).

With the addition of Redding and Colin Cole, we have some of the best DT depth I have ever seen on this team. If Kerney can stay healthy our line is going to MEAN. If the light goes on for Lawrence Jackson and he starts playing like a 1st round pick our line will be VERY MEAN.

We can go ANY direction with our #4 pick now too. If Curry falls to us we'll probably take him. If not we could go Crabtree, Monroe/Smith, Orakpo, or even Sanchez. All our major needs have been shored up in FA. We could also get a nice trade offer from a team wanting Sanchez, or maybe a team like the Raiders wanting to move up and snag Crabtree. The possibilities are endless.

It was win/win for both franchises. We gained a talented, strong DT who was actually willing to take a pay cut to play with us (saving us about 4 mil in cap space) and a 5th round pick to replace the one we lost with the Keary Colbert experiment. All for a player that was going to get cut.

The Lions gained a guy who despite age is still one of the best LB's in the league, a guy who will be a great compliment and mentor to Ernie Sims. He's also a guy who never would have signed with the Lions if he was cut.

After thinking about it and doing some more research about Redding, I'm really excited about this deal.

I hate to see Peterson go, but after refusing a pay cut, we were going to cut him anyways. Very good linebacker who is coming off a bad year along with the rest of our defense. He's not getting any younger, he's lost a step (though he's still very fast) takes bad angles more then I would like to see and has a problem with not wrapping up on his tackles (thats going to drive you nuts lion fans). Still one of the best linebackers in the league, but I was happy to get the compensation we did for him.

Redding will be 29 this season, he's big, he has great strength, he's versatile and he demands double teams. Having actual defensive talent around him should do wonders for him. In smaller news yesterday, we resigned DD Lewis, so we'll be ok at LB even if Curry doesn't fall to us. When we went to the SB our starting LB's were Hill, Tatupu and DD Lewis. Hill can now slide over to Peterson's spot as a pass rusher (he had 8 sacks his rookie season) and we can keep him out of pass coverage, which is definitely the weakest part of his game (and one of Lewis' strenghs).

With the addition of Redding and Colin Cole, we have some of the best DT depth I have ever seen on this team. If Kerney can stay healthy our line is going to MEAN. If the light goes on for Lawrence Jackson and he starts playing like a 1st round pick our line will be VERY MEAN.

We can go ANY direction with our #4 pick now too. If Curry falls to us we'll probably take him. If not we could go Crabtree, Monroe/Smith, Orakpo, or even Sanchez. All our major needs have been shored up in FA. We could also get a nice trade offer from a team wanting Sanchez, or maybe a team like the Raiders wanting to move up and snag Crabtree. The possibilities are endless.

It was win/win for both franchises. We gained a talented, strong DT who was actually willing to take a pay cut to play with us (saving us about 4 mil in cap space) and a 5th round pick to replace the one we lost with the Keary Colbert experiment. All for a player that was going to get cut.

The Lions gained a guy who despite age is still one of the best LB's in the league, a guy who will be a great compliment and mentor to Ernie Sims. He's also a guy who never would have signed with the Lions if he was cut.

i don't know how the numbers work, but i saw an article that said both teams saved money by doing the trade and not cutting these two players...i know the lions were happy to dump redding's contract, and while they took a big contract on in return i'm sure they felt it was a better value to be paying that kind of dough to a proven pro bowl player and not a rotational guy.

i don't know how the numbers work, but i saw an article that said both teams saved money by doing the trade and not cutting these two players...i know the lions were happy to dump redding's contract, and while they took a big contract on in return i'm sure they felt it was a better value to be paying that kind of dough to a proven pro bowl player and not a rotational guy.

Absolutely. You guys needed an impact player and a leader. We needed more balance on our D and more size and versatility on our D-line.

Having one of the top LB corps in the league the last three years and never finishing higher then 15th in total team D....something needed to be done.

Even if he doesn't like to wrap up on his tackles, have fun watching Peterson. I know I have the last 3 seasons :doublethumbsup:

lions season tix holder here.

Redding Sucks.

You actually pay to go watch the Lions 8 times a year? And I am some how supposed to buy what you say? I don't think so... :lol:

lions season tix holder here.

Redding Sucks.

Your entire defense sucked last season. I don't understand how you can single out any 1 player as sucking on their own.

I'd like to see the guy play for 1 season with some actual NFL-caliber talent around him before I make any judgements.

Redding is a tweener of a d-lineman.

Not quite fast enough to get off the corner, not quite big enough to be a consistent run stuffer.

He is a role player that can fit in with talent around him.

But he is cheap in comparison to the elevated contracts going to d-lineman this off season.

Was he worth being traded for possibly the best linebacker in the league, time will tell.

:thumbsup: He wasnt even the best linebacker on the team.

Well Peterson didn't play well last year either. Do I hold that against him? No. Which is why DET fans shouldnt hold it against REdding.

Here is a stat....

Through 12 games last year Redding was on pace for 51 tackles and 12 tackles behind the line(sacks and tackles for loss).

Last year there were only 3 DTs in the NFL that had atleast 50 tackles and atleast 12 tackles behind the line..

Albert Haynesworth

Kevin Williams

Shaun Rogers

Last year there were only 5 DTs with atleast 12 tackles behind the line, but Redding was on pace for 12 last year, had 12 in 2007 and 20 in 2006.

Interesting.....

Well Peterson didn't play well last year either. Do I hold that against him? No. Which is why DET fans shouldnt hold it against REdding.

Here is a stat....

Through 12 games last year Redding was on pace for 51 tackles and 12 tackles behind the line(sacks and tackles for loss).

Last year there were only 3 DTs in the NFL that had atleast 50 tackles and atleast 12 tackles behind the line..

Albert Haynesworth

Kevin Williams

Shaun Rogers

Last year there were only 5 DTs with atleast 12 tackles behind the line, but Redding was on pace for 12 last year, had 12 in 2007 and 20 in 2006.

Interesting.....

the issue i have with redding is that he's been shiat for two solid years (even when shaun rogers lined up next to him). he played like gangbusters his contract year, got paid, then tanked.

he could rebound, maybe the change in scenery will do him good. but there's no way to put an air freshner spin on his past two years and his fat contract.

and, unlike peterson, he will never see the pro bowl unless he buys a ticket.

and i should hope he made some tackles last year. the lions defense spent the entire focking game being dragged up and down the field by opposing offenses.

the issue i have with redding is that he's been shiat for two solid years (even when shaun rogers lined up next to him). he played like gangbusters his contract year, got paid, then tanked.

he could rebound, maybe the change in scenery will do him good. but there's no way to put an air freshner spin on his past two years and his fat contract.

and, unlike peterson, he will never see the pro bowl unless he buys a ticket.

and i should hope he made some tackles last year. the lions defense spent the entire focking game being dragged up and down the field by opposing offenses.

He has been on the Lions the past few years. The Lions!

Like I said, last year he was on pace through 12 games to have 12 tackles behind the line which would have put him up with 3 of the best DT's in the entire league. In 07 he did have 12 and in 06 he was a monster.

Considering he played that well on the Lions, he looks to be a very good DT.

Playing for something besides not losing 16 games should do wonders for him.

again, a change of scenery very well may motivate him to improve his play. it's happened before. but rod's calling card was supposedly getting d-line players to excel and run through a wall for him...didn't happen with redding. as one detroit beat writer said, at least we won't have to put up with redding's excuses post-game anymore.

but a change could be the boost he needs.