Sign in to follow this  
Dragonsmaster

Old Timers Post

we've got some 10 yr anniversaries for FFToday tenure coming up

imagine when that turns into 20 or 40 years :thumbsup:

Before the magazines, there was Chris Charpentier's FF book, which always had a few guys who weren't even playing that season.

My league dates back to 1993, starting with 6 teams. The team rosters were ridiculous. The first year I had Sanders, Thurman, Rice, Moore and Marino.

League still is going today.

I have every Charpentier digest dating back to 87-88 i believe...

There were some awesome one hit wonders at RB... Lorenzo White, Barry Foster, Craig Heyward, The Nigerian Nightmare Christian Okoye.... OJ Anderson...

When our league started in 1990.....I did all of the scoring and weekly newsletters with a pen and paper!

My starters on my first fantasy team was

QB Randall Cunningham

RB Thurman Thoms

RB Neal Anderson

WR Jerry Rice

WR Sterling Sharpe

K Mike Cofer

D Browns

I chartered my first league in 1984. Did everything by hand. USA Today was our paper of record and I went into the office at 6:00 am every Monday to do the scores by hand. 10 team league. I liked higher scoring games even back then. BTW, the league still operates and is celebrating 25 years. Only a handful of charter guys still in it. They still do a live, off-line 2 and a half hour lunch draft.

I think the biggest thing now that disgusts me is that owners don't have to study because all the friggin' draft boards list the players in order and some guys just go right down the list. Still, I could have never played in 9 leagues like I do now. So much effort to keep the leagues going.

I used to love it when guys had no clue who players were. Who's so and so? Is this guy any good? Those were the days.....

we've got some 10 yr anniversaries for FFToday tenure coming up

imagine when that turns into 20 or 40 years :pointstosky:

I think it's been over 10 years. We didn't have to register to post in the beginning.

My first player ever drafted was Barry Sanders :wall:

I think it's been over 10 years. We didn't have to register to post in the beginning.

Yeah, this place was a mad house. Lots of fun.

Seriously, fools owe us for coming up with what is now basic FF ball strategy. Send $$$.

:unsure:

I'm playing in the original league I joined. I think the league started around '90 and I joined in '94/'95. It was a neighborhood league...we all got 13 sheets so we could write down our starting lineup each week and put it in the envelope on the commish's door by 10am on Sunday morning.

Note: We still have most of the same scoring, which is somewhat weird compared to the other leagues I play in. We also have the option of "protecting" a player from the previous year or selecting someone in the "franchise round".

Our scoring:

Any TD by a QB, RB, WR, TE, or Def/Sp. teams is worth the following

0-9 yards = 6 points

10-39 yards = 9 points

40+ yards = 12 points

The kicker...If a QB, RB, WR, or TE scores the non-typical way (ie. QB runs or catches, or a RB throws/catches the td), it's worth double points. So, LT catches a 50 yard TD pass, it's worth 24 points.

The other old school thing that we're getting away from for the first time in the 18 years the league's been around is yardage scoring at the 100 yard mark for RB/WR/TE and 300 yards for QB. We did 5 points for exceeding 100 yards and 5 points for 300 yards for RB/WR/TE and QB, respectively. The next cutoff was 10 points for exceeding 200 yards and 400 yards, respectively.

Fun stuff!

I'm playing in the original league I joined. I think the league started around '90 and I joined in '94/'95. It was a neighborhood league...we all got 13 sheets so we could write down our starting lineup each week and put it in the envelope on the commish's door by 10am on Sunday morning.

Note: We still have most of the same scoring, which is somewhat weird compared to the other leagues I play in. We also have the option of "protecting" a player from the previous year or selecting someone in the "franchise round".

Our scoring:

0-9 yards = 6 points

10-39 yards = 9 points

40+ yards = 12 points

The kicker...If a QB, RB, WR, or TE scores the non-typical way (ie. QB runs or catches, or a RB throws/catches the td), it's worth double points. So, LT catches a 50 yard TD pass, it's worth 24 points.

The other old school thing that we're getting away from for the first time in the 18 years the league's been around is yardage scoring at the 100 yard mark for RB/WR/TE and 300 yards for QB. We did 5 points for exceeding 100 yards and 5 points for 300 yards for RB/WR/TE and QB, respectively. The next cutoff was 10 points for exceeding 200 yards and 400 yards, respectively.

Fun stuff!

That is old school. Makes scoring easy to do in your head. Reminds me of my early leagues. Just as much fun. Good to hear there are leagues still like this. I think I may try to create a league like this on the find a league forum, I guarantee I will get, "this is stupid" comments left and right. Freakin youngsters. :thumbsup:

:wall:

That is old school. Makes scoring easy to do in your head. Reminds me of my early leagues. Just as much fun. Good to hear there are leagues still like this. I think I may try to create a league like this on the find a league forum, I guarantee I will get, "this is stupid" comments left and right. Freakin youngsters

Our scoring:

0-9 yards = 6 points

10-39 yards = 9 points

40+ yards = 12 points

My league uses similiar pts, started 89'

WE get 1pt every 10yds rush/rec also

Qb's 1 pt every 25yds passing

No laughing here Wood :music_guitarred: