Sign in to follow this  
DrJ

When does the IR open?

Just wondering when I can send this friggin pvssy Bruce Perry to IR and pick someone else up.

Pending waiver reopening of course. :thumbsup:

You can put him on IR now if you want......you just cant pick anyone up until tomorrow. Remember to read the rules on IR again before using it.

Since there's no injury report yet, it appears MFL won't let us IR anyone yet even since you opened it.

It is telling me that Bruce Perry must be listed as IR or OUT.

He's out for the season:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493026

http://football5.myfantasyleague.com/2004/...?L=33303&P=7632

(Sun Aug 15 1:43:00 p.m. ET 2004)

(KFFL) Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid said RB Bruce Perry (shoulder) suffered a dislocated shoulder. "He'll be out for the season," Reid said.

Read the rules and would definitely like to IR him, can you put him on IR for me?

I didn't think we could use our IR until we cut down our rosters to 20? I'm pretty sure that's how we handled it last year...

:confused:

The rules don't say anything about not being able to use IR before the season starts, only that the roster size must be 22 including IR by the final cut down day (kickoff week #3)

7. Injured reserve (IR):

a. Two (2) IR spots are allowed (meaning your roster size can be 22).

b. Players must be listed as officially "Out" or on the “PUP” to be placed on IR.

c. You "cannot" reactivate your IR players (meaning they are done for the year for your team).

d. You can cut them from your squad but they remain dead to you (meaning you can never pick them up again for that year). Other teams are allowed to pick up dropped IR players.

e. You cannot trade players while they are on IR.

Seems to me we should be able to use it now, as long as we abide by all the roster cut down limits as they come up. :cheers:

I just tried to put Boston on IR, it said he can't go on IR because he was not considered out. :cheers:

The only problem with doing IR in the offseason is the criteria by which we determine if someone is eligible to be placed on IR.

Let's say that I know that one of my players will miss ONE preseason game. So, he techinically is "OUT" for that game. Can I put him on IR? That is the criteria for the regular season.

Or, do we want to create a new rule stating that you can only place someone on IR if they are going to miss the entire season?

What about part of the season like Boldin?

This is where it gets confusing if you allow this. I really don't care either way...just something to chew on before you make your final decision, Battle. May need a new set of rules.

The only problem with doing IR in the offseason is the criteria by which we determine if someone is eligible to be placed on IR.

Let's say that I know that one of my players will miss ONE preseason game.  So, he techinically is "OUT" for that game.  Can I put him on IR?  That is the criteria for the regular season.

Or, do we want to create a new rule stating that you can only place someone on IR if they are going to miss the entire season?

What about part of the season like Boldin?

This is where it gets confusing if you allow this.  I really don't care either way...just something to chew on before you make your final decision, Battle.  May need a new set of rules.

If you put him on IR, he's gone for the season. We can't just put guys on IR and take them off.

So even assuming you can put a guy in IR that is out for a preseason game, that means he's done for you until next year. You aren't allowed to trade him either - the only thing you can do is cut him and then he would be ineligible to be picked up by you.

Boldin will be eligible for IR under our rules, whether it happens now or week 1.

I'd think most people would want to limit their preseason IR to guys that are actually out for the year even if technically you could put Tatum Bell on IR due to his broken finger...

I really think the inability to take a guy off of IR, the no trading rule, and the rule that says you can't pick an IR guy up if you drop him, just everyone else, combine to be a pretty effective deterrent of unnecessary IR's.

What you say makes perfect sense, Dr....IF you have guys that are currently eligible for IR treatment.

I know that I currently do not have anyone that could be IR'd. However, IF we define this similarly to the regular season (i.e. you just need to be out one game), then I sure as hell will go out and find two rookies that won't do much in 2004 that happened to miss the first preseason game, IR them, and stash them away for the rest of 2004 in hopes that they might be solid producers in 2005.

That is NOT what the intent of the IR is. This is why we need to set some guidelines for a preseason IR to work. The preseason is not like the regular season - guys miss preseason games simply because they are a "little" banged up, not enough to prevent them from playing in a regular season game.

Case in point - Domanick Davis. Dom Capers publically stated that he was going to keep him out of last week's preseason game because he was a little dinged, but if this were a regular season game, he sure as hell would be in there. Do you think he should be IR-able? If not, where do you draw the line?

That's why we need to set up some guidelines for this before we just "activate" it.

What you say makes perfect sense, Dr....IF you have guys that are currently eligible for IR treatment.

I know that I currently do not have anyone that could be IR'd.  However, IF we define this similarly to the regular season (i.e. you just need to be out one game), then I sure as hell will go out and find two rookies that won't do much in 2004 that happened to miss the first preseason game, IR them, and stash them away for the rest of 2004 in hopes that they might be solid producers in 2005.

That is NOT what the intent of the IR is.  This is why we need to set some guidelines for a preseason IR to work.  The preseason is not like the regular season - guys miss preseason games simply because they are a "little" banged up, not enough to prevent them from playing in a regular season game.

Case in point - Domanick Davis.  Dom Capers publically stated that he was going to keep him out of last week's preseason game because he was a little dinged, but if this were a regular season game, he sure as hell would be in there.  Do you think he should be IR-able?  If not, where do you draw the line?

That's why we need to set up some guidelines for this before we just "activate" it.

That is true, but the same exploit can be used during the season as well and could have been used last year. Go out and pickup two rookies that are out of the first game (or whatever game) and stash em. Or even if you have a couple of guys currently on your roster that you don't think factor into your plans too much, happen to be "OUT" for a game, and you would like to expand your keeper roster.

I do understand what you are saying about people sitting for nothing in preseason, though. But either way, the current IR system is exploitable and can be used for purposes it probably wasn't intended.

I don't think you're going to be able to find a way to prevent that unless you get rid of the "OUT" portion of the rule and make it just PUP or IR guys - even during the season.

Still...

"Perry, Bruce PHI RB Cannot Be Deactivated - League Rules Dictate That A Player Must Be Classified As Ir or out Before He Can Be Deactivated"

He's on the IR dammitt!! How much more classified does it get?

Everyone calm down on the IR issue.............the IR rule was written for regular season. I guess the site only puts players on their official "OUT" or "PUP" during the regular season.

I really don't feel like writing new rules governing IR for the off-season. And I don't wish to manipulate the site to let anyone go on IR because I would then have to track and verify.

I am leaving for Vegas early tomorrow morning and will be busy all day today preping for said trip. I will tackle this issue when I return in a week if it is still an issue.

My take is just wait until the regular season when the site lists thier "OUT's" and "PUP's".