Sign in to follow this  
Ez

Bears need a WR

The Bears organization is so proud of themselves for getting Cutler. I'm a Bears fan and I'm happy too. But if I'm making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and have to scrape out the tiny bit of jelly from the bottom of the jar and it barely covers the piece of bread, I'm not so happy about my sandwich.

That's where the Bears are at Wide Receiver.

If Brandon Marshall is so unhappy in Denver, wouldn't it make sense for the Bears to call Denver up and ask what it would take to get a trade done ?

What about Marvin Harrison ? Is he done for sure ?

I could see numbers like:

Marshall: 80 catches - 1050 yards - 8 TDs

or

Harrison: 70 catches - 750 yards - 6 TDs

Are there any other receivers available and what kind of production would you forsee ?

I picked up Cutler as my backup and that's my biggest worry when I plug him into the bye week - he needs time to build that core with his wideouts.

He's got Hester and Bennett and a bunch of fliers (as if Hester and Bennett AREN'T fliers already).

Marshall, Royal, and Scheff last year were all to go guys that were proven - Hester is the only one on the squad with that going for him. And EVEN with that talent, he still had to throw way too much to get the numbers.

As for Harrison - I think the burnt out factor is huge with him - otherwise someone would've picked him up by now. But once the injuries kick in, he'll get signed.

Don't know if they could or would want to trade for Marshall, he brings a lot of baggage with him but you can't deny his play on the field. Marshall would certainly upgrade their chances of winning more ball games than with what they currently have. Would Angelo spend that much more to get him since he payed a ton for Cutler.

Matt Jones is still out there floating around, literally if he's still using. Showed he could be a pretty good receiver with the Jags but don't know if he's still got a problem with the nose candy. The Bears could probably get him for not a whole lot of money and he would upgrade their WR corps. I think he and Cutler could develop nice chemistry. I think Reggie Williams is still a FA after Jacksonville let him go. Probably not worth the money and effort. If you're going to invest in upgrading you receiving corps there's not really anything on the free agent market to fit the bill. They only way would be to trade for a big name guy. Is Boldin still looking to get moved and would the Cardinals let him go? They could probably pry Keyshawn Johnson from the ESPN booth,lol.

Good luck Bears with your receiving corps. You just payed a ton of money for Cutler and you have no stud receiver for him to throw to, but you will get a chance to see if he was worth the money. A really good QB sometimes doesn't need great receivers to make receivers look good. Is Cutler that type of QB? Don't know but we're gonna find out. I've drafted him in a couple of leagues. I'm pulling for him to do well, but please Jay, get along with your teammates or your stay in Chicago could be a painful one.

I wrote a thread about Bennett the other day and only got one response that wasn't very positive.... I Thought this guy would be a respectable # 2 with his old college boy throwing him the pill, but it's lookin like the bears fans aren't too sure about that... making me nervous about my bye weeks here.... and i thought i was finally done trading before the season started... ugggg

Marvin Harrison would be the obvious pick up. Matt Jones could be a risk but he can play. Believe it or not, the Eagles have a logjam at wideout and it's likely that Reggie Brown or Hank Baskett won't make the team. Neither are great but both would provide solid depth at receiver.

I like what i saw out of Earl Bennett tonight for sure.... F Marvin Harrison....

Matt Forte ran the ball nice, and we all know he can catch out of the backfield....Greg Olsen got open with regularity... kids gonna have a big year... I think the Bears are "OK" with what they have...

Marshall, Royal, and Scheff last year were all to go guys that were proven

Really? Royal was a rookie...and Scheff was in his 3rd year, and coming off a 49/549/5 season. I wouldn't call them proven.

Cutler threw some bullets out there..especially one to Bennett, who caught 2 passes for 42 yards. He spread the ball around to 6 different receivers...looking sharp. He had Hester wide open going deep...but Hester decided to "hesitate" and slowed up just a bit....then Hester found himself trying to catch up to the ball that sailed just out of his reach. Mistake made by Hester there that cost him a TD.

Overall, I was very impressed, especially going up against the Giants defense. They really came to play tonight. Now they just need to keep this up.

Really? Royal was a rookie...and Scheff was in his 3rd year, and coming off a 49/549/5 season. I wouldn't call them proven.

Then please, elaborate on how better the unproven Bears core will be. I guess I should have said "safer" or "talented" or "go to". Nice nitpick - by proven you should've assumed proven POINTS.

Then please, elaborate on how better the unproven Bears core will be. I guess I should have said "safer" or "talented" or "go to". Nice nitpick - by proven you should've assumed proven POINTS.

I don't believe he said anywhere that the Bears' WR corps was better. He was merely pointing out a flaw in your statement. I had the same thought, especially regarding Royal. Maybe he will be a very solid WR, but maybe he will be then next Michael Clayton. One season does not make on a "proven" player.

I don't believe he said anywhere that the Bears' WR corps was better. He was merely pointing out a flaw in your statement. I had the same thought, especially regarding Royal. Maybe he will be a very solid WR, but maybe he will be then next Michael Clayton. One season does not make on a "proven" player.

I know this is a thread about the Bears but Royal looked pretty good last night with Orton. Seems like that offense is perfect for him...take a short pass and try to make it into a big play; that's him. Look for him to have a big year especially if Marshall keeps being a baby.

Well I agree that Marshall is by far the superior talent amongst the 2 teams....but the Bears have Hester (possibly up and coming WR), and a rookie in Iglesias and Cutler's former teammate Bennet who could easily produce like Royal (these 2 are ENTERING the season with more hype than Royal did, especially with Bennett's track record with Cutler). Sure Scheff is solid, but Olsen is probably a top5 talent at his position, and looks ready to post a 70/1000/6-8 type season. So again, how were the Broncos targets leaps and bounds better than the Bears??

Oh yea, the Bears have an excellent pass-catching RB, something Cutler didn't have in Denver

What would it hurt to add a veteran like Harrison ? Providing he thought he could help the team enough and make a last run at a Super Bowl ?

What would it take to get Brandon Marshall ? Next year's second round pick ? Denver already has our first rounder from the Cutler trade. Hell, give em the 2nd and 3rd.

A guaranteed all pro receiver for 2nd and 3rd round kids out of college ?

I don't know if it is possible, I just wondered how the Bears would improve with just the right receiver ?

Minnesota went out and got Brett. He won't be asked to throw the ball more than 15 to 20 times a game most weeks.

I'd just like to see the Bears add the "1 piece" that we might be missing.

And yes, Olson looked good !