Sign in to follow this  
Culpooper

Frank Gore

Frank Gore - can someone please tell me why everyone is so horny for this kid? Every cheat sheet I read has him 7th overall at worst. This my friends is a joke!

#1. No threat to take him off the field on 3rd downs or near the goal line.

#2. No RBBC or backup who will significantly eat into his carries. Glen Coffee has looked impressive so far, but is nothing more than a handcuff.

#3. Low injury risk. Missed two games last season, and 1 on 2007. I'll take those odds compared to other backs being drafted in the same area.

#4. Countless indications and quotes from coaches that the offense is going to be centered around Gore. And with Mike Martz gone, Gore himself says that the offense is going to look a lot like Norv Turner's system in 2006 (when Gore was a Pro-Bowler).

#5. He catches about 50 balls a year for ~400 yards. Only makes him better in PPR.

So, yeah. I don't know if he's the 7th best back in the league. But you're going to have to give me at least one reason NOT to be high on Gore before I agree with you.

#2. No RBBC or backup who will significantly eat into his carries. Glen Coffee has looked impressive so far, but is nothing more than a handcuff.

#3. Low injury risk. Missed two games last season, and 1 on 2007. I'll take those odds compared to other backs being drafted in the same area.

#4. Countless indications and quotes from coaches that the offense is going to be centered around Gore. And with Mike Martz gone, Gore himself says that the offense is going to look a lot like Norv Turner's system in 2006 (when Gore was a Pro-Bowler).

#5. He catches about 50 balls a year for ~400 yards. Only makes him better in PPR.

So, yeah. I don't know if he's the 7th best back in the league. But you're going to have to give me at least one reason NOT to be high on Gore before I agree with you.

Well said. I agree with you across the board. Gore deserves to be in the top 7 of all lists.

he is actuall a very talented back who has been somewhat held back by the lack of talent around him... With a new offensive cordinator and a commitment to be a run first offense people are expecting better numbers than the last couple of years.

and SF coaches have made it abundently clear that gore will carry the offense on his back this year. He is easily top 7.

However, the last time I bought SF RB hype I drafted Kevin Barlow #6 overall becuase FFToday told me to!!!! :thumbsdown: Everyone laughed at me. :bandana:

How about the "reason" that the 49ers completely suck on offense and they just wont provide many opportunities for Frank, especially the all-important TDs. I dont care how much coaches say they'll use him or whatever other crap they spew. This team has NO quarterback, NO receivers, a suspect O-line, and a coach that cares more about punishing players and treating them like 5 year olds than winning. Focking joke.

So, there some reasoning for ya....

How about the "reason" that the 49ers completely suck on offense and they just wont provide many opportunities for Frank, especially the all-important TDs. I dont care how much coaches say they'll use him or whatever other crap they spew. This team has NO quarterback, NO receivers, a suspect O-line, and a coach that cares more about punishing players and treating them like 5 year olds than winning. Focking joke.

:shocking:

You are right to some degree but the original post in this thread makes some good points.

The kicker is PPR! In a PPR league Gore is top 5 or 6 but in a standard league I wouldn't even put him in the top 10!

San Fran also had none of that in 2006, and were 26th in offense. Frank Gore piled up over 2,100 yards from scrimmage...

Oh, and Matt Forte? Chris Johnson? They seemed to do well last year on teams with no receivers and no QB.

I mean, if that's your criteria for a top fantasy back, we shouldn't even be touching MJD until the middle of the 2nd round, right?

#6. Strength of schedule. They match up vs shoddy run defenses all season.

No. 1 & 2 are the same point.

No. 3 is debateable - he's had some injury problems in the past (including college), so he's not necessarily "durable", just not as fragile as the Westbrooks and Steven Jacksons.

No. 4 - Find me an offseason in the last 3 years that hasn't talked up involving either Gore or SJax or any other franchise RB??? I feel like every season is the season Gore breaks out again.

No. 5 - Agreed, in PPR I think he's a top10 back, but in non-PPR, I have a hard time placing him ahead of DWill, SJax, Slaton, Chris Johnson, etc.

No. 1 & 2 are the same point.

Not really.

DeAngelo Williams and Jonathon Stewart - Neither one was really favored on 3rd downs or short yardage, and both had a high number of carries. RBBC.

Willie Parker and Mewelde Moore - Moore comes in on third downs because Parker can't block or catch. Not a RBBC.

Steve Slaton and Chris Brown - Brown potentially vultures TD from Slaton on goal line carries. Not a RBBC.

They're all different situations, and Gore has no threat in any one of them.

I agree with most of this except I laughed a little at "with Mike Martz gone." Wasn't Mike Martz supposed to make Gore run wild when he first got there?

FWIW, I have him as the #10 RB.

Offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye continues to stress that Gore will be the focal point of the 49ers' offense, the San Francisco Chronicle reports. "This deal is 21," Raye said. "This ballclub is going to be run by 21 (Gore's number). The guy that's running the ship at the quarterback position (Shaun Hill)...was never going to be the lead dog in this race. The bell cow in this operation is 21. The quarterback's job is to make sure we get that done."

Spin: Gore, who played one series (two carries for seven yards) against the Raiders Saturday, is healthy and ready to carry the load in an offense no longer helmed by the pass-happy Mike Martz. He'll be spelled by impressive rookie Glen Coffee, but it's clear that the 49ers are going to turn Gore loose this season.

Wed, Aug 26

I disagree. There WR's and QB may not be All-Stars but they are solid enough as is the Oline. Vernon Davis in a nice option at TE.

It's a solid enough team that has an extremely soft schedule vs the run. They will not be so far behind in any games that Gore is taken out of the game for any reason. They should be competitve for 4 quarters which will at least allow Gore to get some yards and maybe 10 TD total.

I disagree. There WR's and QB may not be All-Stars but they are solid enough as is the Oline. Vernon Davis in a nice option at TE.

It's a solid enough team that has an extremely soft schedule vs the run. They will not be so far behind in any games that Gore is taken out of the game for any reason. They should be competitve for 4 quarters which will at least allow Gore to get some yards and maybe 10 TD total.

How are they solid?? Their QB situation is the bottom 10 in the league, their WR corps is arguably worst 5 in the league, and OLine is average. Vernon Davis is athletic and has talent, but has failed to establish himself as a threat. I'd say Gore's supporting cast is one of the worst among the top15 RBs, alongside with Steven Jackson

How are they solid?? Their QB situation is the bottom 10 in the league, their WR corps is arguably worst 5 in the league, and OLine is average. Vernon Davis is athletic and has talent, but has failed to establish himself as a threat. I'd say Gore's supporting cast is one of the worst among the top15 RBs, alongside with Steven Jackson

Compare that to Calvin Johnson's QB situation (and team for that matter) and he depends on his QB for production, yet Calvin is a consensus top 5 WR. Gore doesn't depend too much on the QB. He earns his own points.

you can make yourself feel good or bad about anyone in the draft...Your inclinations will have nothing to do with the randomness that determines their success this season. You can either be rational and accept that fact, or a deluded degenerate and make pointless posts asking for a crystal ball into the random chance that determines success...

you can make yourself feel good or bad about anyone in the draft...Your inclinations will have nothing to do with the randomness that determines their success this season. You can either be rational and accept that fact, or a deluded degenerate and make pointless posts asking for a crystal ball into the random chance that determines success...

LOL, Where do you get this stuff, I want to be just like you when I get a little older. A really cool tough guy that hangs out on the net all day....AWESOME.

!!

seriously...that's a hell of a post. You either just got in a fight with your boyfriend right after you read a H.S.Thompson article or you've been trying to use some of those words in a sentence all preseason and couldn't wait any longer.

Not that I disagree with the theme of the post but, the eloquence of your delivery I'm sure has been lost on it's intended recipients...I mean, err....ME LIKE FOOTBALLS!!

Compare that to Calvin Johnson's QB situation (and team for that matter) and he depends on his QB for production, yet Calvin is a consensus top 5 WR. Gore doesn't depend too much on the QB. He earns his own points.

Frank Gore and Calvin Johnson play 2 different positions. And Calvin had arguably the worst QB situation last year and still put up 1,300 and 12 I believe. He's proven to be a freak, no matter the team, no matter his surrounding cast.

Gore on the other hand, sans his 2006(?) breakout year, has been hampered by his supporting cast. No QB to keep DEF's honest, no WR's to move the chains and sustain drives, and overall, a sh!tty offense really limits a RB's production, specifically TDs (where Gore has never been good). Regardless of whether a player is affected by their supporting cast, you called SF's quarterback, wide receivers, and TE's solid, which is baffling.

Sounds like a guy who drafts from one magazine and accepts that everyone knows as much as that magazine. Perhaps a viable strategy but the more you know, the more you eliminate this randomness that you speak of.

Gore was the 2nd ranked RB in my PPR leagues last year through 10 games (week 11 - even footing as everyone had a bye). He contributed to a lot of victories before struggling a bit down the stretch with injuries.

I have him ranked 5th but I guess the joke is on me. :shrug:

i drafted him at 2.02 and expect nice stats. Of course I took Coffee in the late rounds. I think SF offense will be better this season and even if not Gore will put up stats

Frank Gore - can someone please tell me why everyone is so horny for this kid? Every cheat sheet I read has him 7th overall at worst. This my friends is a joke!

If you don't like don't draft him, plain and simple. I have players every year that I stay away from, if that guy is Gore for you then so be it.

I'm keeping him. He finished 13th in scoring in my league last year and that's after not playing in 2 games. With those 2 games and his average points per game he would have finished in the top 10.

With the renewed empahsis on the running game this year through coaches Singletary and Raye I'm confident his numbers will be better than last year.

What I love about all of this.....FF is suppose to be about you having control, you are the Owner,GM and coach. who gives a crap what anyone else thinks. It's your team, make a decision and have fun with it. :dunno:

LOL, Where do you get this stuff, I want to be just like you when I get a little older. A really cool tough guy that hangs out on the net all day....AWESOME.

Success!! :pointstosky: