Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

Bush league commish moves

we talk a lot about players and stupid owners in your leagues...i'm curious about doosh moves by your commissioners in leagues you've played in, or doosh moves you've made if you are the commish. I'm in a long time league where every year the commish seems to change a rule, make up something new or try and push something past the rest of us. All of us pay the same fees/dues and my belief is that the owners should have a vote on all rule changes. This year he randomly decided that there should be fees on trades (which there have been in past but he randomly changed last year) despite objections from owners and that there would be a limit of 20 transactions...however, in his infinite wisdom he made waivers a blind bid process and each add/drop costs you at least $1, meaning that to drop one and pick up one, at the lowest bid level, it's still $2...limiting you to only 10 for the entire season IF you get the players at $1.

In one of my league's this year, we had a vote to determine major changes to our league settings. One team owner chose NOT to vote and his omission tilted the vote in favor of some lame changes. I think if you're putting up $$$ you can't be on the fence - you have to vote yes or no. But whatever, that's not even the best part. That same league owner LEFT the league, the only one who didn't vote, but the commish kept the rule changes which came as a result of his non-vote. No re-vote was ever granted with his replacement. The changes remained, thanks to an owner who isn't even in our league who didn't even vote in the first place.

Last year our Commish & Founder (two diff guys) decided to increase our roster spots from 13 to 15 without a vote from the other owners. As everyone pays the same, we should all get a vote. When me and another guy complained that we didn't at least put this to a vote, we were told to draft better. Some others stepped up saying they didn't care one way or the other but they agreed we should vote on such drastic changes. They finally relented and kept it the same.

In one of my league's this year, we had a vote to determine major changes to our league settings. One team owner chose NOT to vote and his omission tilted the vote in favor of some lame changes. I think if you're putting up $$$ you can't be on the fence - you have to vote yes or no. But whatever, that's not even the best part. That same league owner LEFT the league, the only one who didn't vote, but the commish kept the rule changes which came as a result of his non-vote. No re-vote was ever granted with his replacement. The changes remained, thanks to an owner who isn't even in our league who didn't even vote in the first place.

So you assume if he had voted he would have sided with you?

TG I quit the league this year (right at the start of the draft) but, here is a list of douche bag's infractions:

2007: Somehow this guy (commish) always seemed to land the best FA's that week, no matter where he was slated to pick from (FA were supposed to be by worst to first every week, yet he always seemed to land THE guy to have). When asked about it, he just said it wasnt his fault the other owners passed on him/them. DOUCHE! - I won the league that year, he finished 3rd. LOL!

2008: Draft order was supposed to be based on where you finished the league from 2007. So, since I won the league, I drafted 10th (last). He finished 3rd, yet had the 2nd overall pick. He claims he traded up with so-in-so (a guy i dont really know, because he was a new owner to the league). Turns out, said new guy had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him why he traded down (asked him after the draft thru email). Commish plays it off & really doesnt answer my questions about this. **Now here is the biggest thing*** 2 hours after the draft, I notice there had been a "SCORING/RULE CHANGE" made (ESPN). Seems like the commish decided to change the scoring of our QBs. It went from 1pt per 25yrds & 4 pts TD, to 1pt 15yrds & 6 pts TD throw. THATS A HUGE CHANGE! I got pretty upset because this would have changed the draft of every owner in the league had we known this. He basically said no big deal, its the same scoring for everyone, maybe next time you'll draft a better QB. (he had brees). DOUCHE! I finished 3rd, he came in 2nd.

2009: He was up to his old tricks on draft position again. Somehow he had the 2nd overall pick again (he should be at 9th), & I had the 8th (mine was right), the rest of the league was all over the place. Seeing this, I entered the live online draft & asked about it ....AGAIN! He claimed the draft order had been set up by ESPN (even though it clearly said "LM Controlled" within 15 minutes of when the draft started) and he couldnt control where we were picking from. I asked why the change from last year. Again, plays it off by not really giving an answer. I told him that I had seen where the draft order was "LM Controlled" on the league site, he never responds. I load a ton of BS players in the autopick (plaxico, other guys not even on NFL teams) and leave. DOUCHE! I havent returned any phone calls, emails, etc... asking why I "ruined" the league. My only response has been "never again" on the league message board. LOL! :dunno:

we talk a lot about players and stupid owners in your leagues...i'm curious about doosh moves by your commissioners in leagues you've played in, or doosh moves you've made if you are the commish. I'm in a long time league where every year the commish seems to change a rule, make up something new or try and push something past the rest of us. All of us pay the same fees/dues and my belief is that the owners should have a vote on all rule changes. This year he randomly decided that there should be fees on trades (which there have been in past but he randomly changed last year) despite objections from owners and that there would be a limit of 20 transactions...however, in his infinite wisdom he made waivers a blind bid process and each add/drop costs you at least $1, meaning that to drop one and pick up one, at the lowest bid level, it's still $2...limiting you to only 10 for the entire season IF you get the players at $1.

I don't get the transaction fee thing. Our commish has a hard enough time collecting the entry fee at the beginning of the season ... someone always shows up without it. Imagine the headache of trying to collect transaction fees from these deadbeats :(

All rule, scoring, what am I saying! ALL changes should be voted on reguardless..I also have been running a league for 6 years now with only one drop out. Voting makes everyone happy for the most part. That's my 2 cents...

I don't understand the limit of 10 or 20 transactions ... a few years ago I had 17 injuries immediately on my team (don't recall them all but it was when SSmith had the leg thing) and I went through 4 QBs first 7 weeks due to injury (yeah, I put a curse on them all!).

As far as being a commish, ALL RULE CHANGES NEED TO TAKE PLACE PRIOR TO DRAFT. If you run into something during the year that nobody likes, CHANGE IT NEXT YEAR. Making changes during the year FOCKS things up and WILL piss somebody off.

I have never played in a league where it doesn't take a majority of league owners to pass a rule. In case of a tie

the Commish is the tie breaker.

I don't get the transaction fee thing. Our commish has a hard enough time collecting the entry fee at the beginning of the season ... someone always shows up without it. Imagine the headache of trying to collect transaction fees from these deadbeats :dunno:

We paid the fees up front, so you get a $20 credit on your account. when your credit runs out, so does your chance to make moves.

I don't understand the limit of 10 or 20 transactions ... a few years ago I had 17 injuries immediately on my team (don't recall them all but it was when SSmith had the leg thing) and I went through 4 QBs first 7 weeks due to injury (yeah, I put a curse on them all!).

As far as being a commish, ALL RULE CHANGES NEED TO TAKE PLACE PRIOR TO DRAFT. If you run into something during the year that nobody likes, CHANGE IT NEXT YEAR. Making changes during the year FOCKS things up and WILL piss somebody off.

that's my point too. depending on what's available and what i like on draft day, I often use a defense by committee approach. I'm also a waiver wire demon and have won the championship two of the last 3 years. This rule is aimed squarely at me, which bothers me some. But I also had a season like that where I played "new QB every week" due to injuries. I lost like 6 RB's and 4 QB's in a 5 week period. With that kind of luck this year, I won't even be able to field a full team some weeks. It's a complete BS rule.

I have never played in a league where it doesn't take a majority of league owners to pass a rule. In case of a tie the Commish is the tie breaker.

this is how it should be. any other way is bush...

Wow..these were some good examples. It does sound like many were with groups of people that didn't know each or at all or very well, and I can se how this would crop up more in a league like that.

I commish a league that started with 10 friends and has grown to a group of 12. We have had "outsiders" filter in...out out...over the years, and some have had issues with me. But everyone of them was due to their inability to read the set rules for the league. I chalk it up to good riddance!

TG I quit the league this year (right at the start of the draft) but, here is a list of douche bag's infractions:

2007: Somehow this guy (commish) always seemed to land the best FA's that week, no matter where he was slated to pick from (FA were supposed to be by worst to first every week, yet he always seemed to land THE guy to have). When asked about it, he just said it wasnt his fault the other owners passed on him/them. DOUCHE! - I won the league that year, he finished 3rd. LOL!

2008: Draft order was supposed to be based on where you finished the league from 2007. So, since I won the league, I drafted 10th (last). He finished 3rd, yet had the 2nd overall pick. He claims he traded up with so-in-so (a guy i dont really know, because he was a new owner to the league). Turns out, said new guy had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him why he traded down (asked him after the draft thru email). Commish plays it off & really doesnt answer my questions about this. **Now here is the biggest thing*** 2 hours after the draft, I notice there had been a "SCORING/RULE CHANGE" made (ESPN). Seems like the commish decided to change the scoring of our QBs. It went from 1pt per 25yrds & 4 pts TD, to 1pt 15yrds & 6 pts TD throw. THATS A HUGE CHANGE! I got pretty upset because this would have changed the draft of every owner in the league had we known this. He basically said no big deal, its the same scoring for everyone, maybe next time you'll draft a better QB. (he had brees). DOUCHE! I finished 3rd, he came in 2nd.

2009: He was up to his old tricks on draft position again. Somehow he had the 2nd overall pick again (he should be at 9th), & I had the 8th (mine was right), the rest of the league was all over the place. Seeing this, I entered the live online draft & asked about it ....AGAIN! He claimed the draft order had been set up by ESPN (even though it clearly said "LM Controlled" within 15 minutes of when the draft started) and he couldnt control where we were picking from. I asked why the change from last year. Again, plays it off by not really giving an answer. I told him that I had seen where the draft order was "LM Controlled" on the league site, he never responds. I load a ton of BS players in the autopick (plaxico, other guys not even on NFL teams) and leave. DOUCHE! I havent returned any phone calls, emails, etc... asking why I "ruined" the league. My only response has been "never again" on the league message board. LOL! :overhead:

WOW. There has never been a more appropriate time to go to his house and punch him in the face in front of his wife and kids. Unbelievable. I hope you focking destroyed that league.

WOW. There has never been a more appropriate time to go to his house and punch him in the face in front of his wife and kids. Unbelievable. I hope you focking destroyed that league.

yeah, that was pretty freakin slimy stuff. I'm just surprised that the other guys in the league allowed it to happen as well.

Only if you're wearing brass knuckles.

Those kind of moves he described deserve some real pain. Plant some cocaine in his car with an anonymous tip called into crimestoppers, go to Kmart and buy some little kids clothes smearing them in blood and leave them hanging out of his garbage can after he's gone to work, sign him up for all kinds of ghey pron, have a female coworker call his house late at night asking for the Italian Stallion, etc.... get creative. Think outside the box.

not sure I quite understand how his non vote determined the rule change unless you are assuming he would have voted against the rule change... which you can't really assume.

i can understand a little frustration at the general concept of not voting (the commish should have demanded a vote), but no re-vote should be needed when the new owner joined.. The new owner was joining a league with rules already in place and is accepting those rules.

I made a douche move once. Some guy picked up dropped a kicker and picked one up to fill in a bye, but he didn't stick him in his lineup. ended up costing him the game. I should have just let the guy count his kicker since it was obvious that's what he was doing, but I was all strict by the book like a big douche instead of using common sense.

Also, I change rules in the offseason unilaterally because the members of the league I commish for the most part aren't that good and aren't involved enough in the offseason and I don't feel like hounding them for votes. I shrunk the roster one year prior to draft since they were always having trouble in the later rounds of the draft finding players they actually heard of.

Last year was a doozy in one of my leagues...

This league had 4 conferences of 12 teams, so 48 total owners... it was made up of 4 different leagues that were combined for the first time and there were some issues with the existing rules that owners complained about, however nothing should have been changed mid-season. In order to change the rules the league requires a 75% vote in favor of the change... for 2 years that meant 75% of ALL owners, so in a 12 teamer, you need 9 yes votes, in a 48 teamer you would assume you need 36 yes vote to proceed, but our doosh of a commish decided that as long as 75% of the votes placed were yes votes that was enough. I insisted nothing changes without 36 yes votes...

The 3 rule changes proposed were as follows...

1. Change playoffs to a 4 week format starting in Week 12 from a 3 week format starting in week 13

2. Change the # of teams making the playoffs from 12 to 16

3. Change the criteria from making the playoffs based on W/L record to total points scored

Now, we are in Week 8 of the league when all this is proposed, and I just dont agree with any of them. We get 38 votes out of 48 owners, in the 1DAY the commish let people vote... out of 39 votes 29 vote Yes, 10 Vote No... 28/38 = 74.4% so even with the bullshit change in how the votes are counted, we didnt make the 75%

The cocker of a commish sends an email saying this is "close enough" to 75% so the rules will pass... I went ape$hit on him, not only did he manipulate the how votes are counted, but now he can decide that 74.4% is just as good as 75%... especially since with this change he would probably make the playoffs and without it he wouldnt... at $200 per team, the total prize is over $5K for first place... so yes I was pissed.

Myself and 5 other owners tried to get the commish to listen to reason and just live with it this year and re-vote on the changes for next year, he basically responded and said "its his league that he built over 10 years and he will do as he sees fit"

Based on that I dropped all of my good players to the waiver, picked up scrubs and played them for the remainder of the season...3 other owners did the same in my conference so the other 8 teams in our conf were stacked... all the other owners in difference confereces complained because they could not possibly win the league...in the end by week 11 the commish locked the league and sent everyone back their $200... the next year the league was back down to 12 teams from 48.

Lesson Learned - DONT EVER CHANGE THE RULES IN MID SEASON, AND DONT BE DOOSH OF A COMMISH

Scoring situation three years ago. Team A beats Team B by one point. The website has Jake Delhomme with 25 points and I have him for 24 based on doing the math with his stats. I pour over the stats because I don't know how he is credited with 25 instead of 24. I go into settings and I see that the commish set it up so that each fumble lost is +1 instead of -1. Simple, although rather large, mistake. Take away the one point and Team B wins on a tiebreaker. He refuses to change it saying he doesn't want to change rules midseason. I inform him that he isn't changing rules; he is correcting an error he made setting up the league. I further explain that we've been playing for several weeks under a scoring system that none of us agreed to play under (minus one point for fumble). He refuses to change it...leads to bad blood on message board....my last season in that league. Wasn't even my team.

Scoring situation three years ago. Team A beats Team B by one point. The website has Jake Delhomme with 25 points and I have him for 24 based on doing the math with his stats. I pour over the stats because I don't know how he is credited with 25 instead of 24. I go into settings and I see that the commish set it up so that each fumble lost is +1 instead of -1. Simple, although rather large, mistake. Take away the one point and Team B wins on a tiebreaker. He refuses to change it saying he doesn't want to change rules midseason. I inform him that he isn't changing rules; he is correcting an error he made setting up the league. I further explain that we've been playing for several weeks under a scoring system that none of us agreed to play under (minus one point for fumble). He refuses to change it...leads to bad blood on message board....my last season in that league. Wasn't even my team.

Wouldn't that have been 25 going to 23? 24 with no fumble at all. +1 for the fumble under messed up rule. -1 for fumble under correct rule. I think your're yanking our chains.

Wouldn't that have been 25 going to 23? 24 with no fumble at all. +1 for the fumble under messed up rule. -1 for fumble under correct rule. I think your're yanking our chains.

At that point some owners just wanted to scrap fumbles lost completely and not count them at all. And oh yeah, you caught me. I'm just an internet jokester on a fantasy football message board trying to pull a fast one on everybody. Couldn't fool you. Next I'm going to the diabetes forums and act like I had my feet amputated.