Sign in to follow this  
The Shepherd

FA Defenses Week 14

Here are some def's that are still out there in a lot of leagues which I think could do well this week:

1. Miami: I like them because their def played well last week, they're fighting for a PO spot, they scratch, bite and pull hair for every W, they always have a return TD threat w/Ginn, Jax gives up a boat-load of sacks, and Miami is close tied for 3rd getting them.

2. Tennessee: StL coming to town and will get pressed into passing situations. The Titans have been more physical as of late too.

3. New England: not the defense of years gone by, but with ugly weather, a ticked off coach, and a turn-over happy Carolina team coming in - this could be double digits for the the Pat's def.

4. Chicago: They're calling for 32 degrees and 60% precipitation - wind only estimated to be 10-15 mph, but those excellent conditions for turnovers. Green Bay is coming off a big Monday Night win, which makes them vulnerable this week. And Rogers can be sacked.

Just some thoughts - as every point counts this time of year.

Disagree with Chicago. I understand your logic, but at the end of the day GB has a good offense and Chicago has a bad defense....not a good combo. Agree with your other 3 defenses though.

I'll throw BUF out there. They're going to give up some yards and points, but Cassel is horrible and prone to turning the ball over.

TBay: Jets rolling with Clemens; game is in Tampa Bay and the Jets have something to play for so they'll most likely lose. Currently projected #2 DEF by Yahoo.

Wonder who started Cleveland vs Pitt last night?

I like TEN

Me too. If Tennessee is on your waiver wire I would pick them up immediately. I like their potential for a home run this week against the Lambs. Here's some interesting stats:

In the 5 games Boller has appeared in this year he has 3 TD passes, 6 INT's, 2 fumbles lost, and has been sacked 14 times. My money league is a pretty standard defensive scoring Yahoo league where the average starting D score is probably about 9 or 10 ppg. The opposing defenses of the Rams when Boller starts have scored 95 points or 19 ppg. The lowest opposing D score against Boller was 10 points for GB in Week 3 and the highest score was a 39 point debacle at the 49er's in Week 4. :doublethumbsup: Looks like gold to me!

I should also mention that as of right now Boller has been limited in practice so far this week. There's a slim chance that some guy named Kieth Null might play. This probably wouldn't be a bad thing for Tennesssee.

As far as the other D's you listed I would stay away from da Bears. Bad weather or not, there's way too much risk there against a very good GB offense. I'd go with any of the other D's listed in this thread over them.

I've been playing Dallas but won't gamble on them this week. I have a bunch of D-hoarders in my league too so I'm trying to decide between:

OAK vs WAS (been playing well, Was running game questionable, Oak pass D is good)

Miami vs Jax (Miami played the Pats great last week, Jax may be without MSW, their only legit passing threat)

Tenn is a GREAT play, wish they were avail. No confidence in TB who are avail.

Nice inputs. Some good points - Chicago is definately a big risk - GB's riding high. Buffalo does make good sense - I could see that game getting ugly. I thought about the Jets too, but left them out for 2 reasons: 1) although they're available in my 12-team league, I figured they's be owned in most others, and 2) I'm not so sure Josh Freeman won't do OK against them. He got frustarted last week and imploded, but he used his mobility and made good decisions to dump Green Bay. I wouldn't be surprised either way there I guess.

Houston was a surprise. I know their run def is good, but I think they can be passed on - even by Seattle with Housh and Burleson.

I dropped the Chargers and picked up the Titans for this week. If you have the bench room and they're available I'd also pick up the Cards as they play the Lions and Rams weeks 15 & 16.