Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

Looking Ahead to FF Redrafts: 2010 (1/2/10)

easy, tonto, easy.....one nice season doth not a career make :banana:

No it doesn't, but I can't see Austin out of the top 10 for WR's. He's big, he's fast, he's sure-handed, he has a QB that can get him the ball, he's a deep threat, he's a redzone threat. His situation is fantastic. I have a hard time finding weaknesses for him. I hope there are non-believers next year at draft time.

No it doesn't, but I can't see Austin out of the top 10 for WR's. He's big, he's fast, he's sure-handed, he has a QB that can get him the ball, he's a deep threat, he's a redzone threat. His situation is fantastic. I have a hard time finding weaknesses for him. I hope there are non-believers next year at draft time.

I just farted

I have not yet assessed Austin, but this explanation rings similar to the Eddie Royal explanation of this past spring and summer.... :)

I have not yet assessed Austin, but this explanation rings similar to the Eddie Royal explanation of this past spring and summer.... :)

Not really. Royal was clearly the #2 behind Marshall. Austin is the clear #1 for Dallas and w/Roy fading, the #2 spot will change from game to game (Crayton/Ogletree/Williams) but Austin (and Witten) is a constant.

Not really. Royal was clearly the #2 behind Marshall. Austin is the clear #1 for Dallas and w/Roy fading, the #2 spot will change from game to game (Crayton/Ogletree/Williams) but Austin (and Witten) is a constant.

However, the quote I reference was similar to the explanation given to me when I suggested that Royal would not put up similar numbers to the year before.

I can't see Austin out of the top 10 for WR's. He's big, he's fast, he's sure-handed, he has a QB that can get him the ball, he's a deep threat, he's a redzone threat. His situation is fantastic. I have a hard time finding weaknesses for him. I hope there are non-believers next year at draft time.

While there is no current discussion as to his status as #1 or #2 on the depth chart, the reasoning above was implemented by many owners to justify taking Royal as early as the 3rd round, where I attempted to mediate this expectation and suggest that he was a 6th round choice at best.

The difference is that Austin was the #2 WR in all of fantasy football this year and #1 in terms of fantasy points per games started.

Royal never sniffed that kind of production in his rookie year. He was solid, but Austin was dynamic.

However, the quote I reference was similar to the explanation given to me when I suggested that Royal would not put up similar numbers to the year before.

Let me dumb it down for you: apples to oranges, so no quote/explanation given about Royal applies to Austin

The difference is that Austin was the #2 WR in all of fantasy football this year and #1 in terms of fantasy points per games started.

Royal never sniffed that kind of production in his rookie year. He was solid, but Austin was dynamic.

Fair enough. But the justifications provided are not enough to sway me yet.

I want to see who is coaching, running the ball, throwing it, other FA moves and watch him as the #1. It can be rather easy for a talented #2 to perform well if he happens to have a top WR on the other side of the field. (see Peerless Price) but without the benefit of attention being drawn away, cannot cope with the heavier coverage.

All I am saying is that its a bit early and premature to crown this guy the "real deal" just yet. A more forensic approach is warranted given the minimal information at hand.

Let me dumb it down for you: apples to oranges, so no quote/explanation given about Royal applies to Austin

Let me help you not be quite so inane.....you cannot suggest he will replicate his stats because you think he is " big", "fast" or "sure handed". There is far more to such an assessment than the meager and perfunctory analysis you managed to spew in this thread.

I am merely suggesting that the same insipid promotion of Royal transpired, and perhaps owners need to take a more careful approach using actual thought when assessing Austin. Not to suggest he is not the real deal, just don't read your rather shallow assessment as some kind of meaningful information is all.... :unsure:

I agree that Austin is in a better situation than Royal, but I don't think the comparison can be dismissed. Royal had 91 catches his rookie year. You can count the number of those types of receivers on one hand. Austin should be fine, though, because everything looks like it's going to stay the same.

Maybe RLLD is right in his caution at this point of the game. Hype and the offseason will drive the guy's value up enough.

I agree that Austin is in a better situation than Royal, but I don't think the comparison can be dismissed. Royal had 91 catches his rookie year. You can count the number of those types of receivers on one hand. Austin should be fine, though, because everything looks like it's going to stay the same.

Maybe RLLD is right in his caution at this point of the game. Hype and the offseason will drive the guy's value up enough.

There is certainly precedent for him being right. Look at Germane Crowell. Everyone thought he was the next best thing after his breakout season. Braylon Edwards is another recent example. And, Javon Walker also comes to mind.

Guys have to keep working hard and be in the right situation. To my knowledge, Austin hasn't signed a big, fat contract yet so that shouldn't be a problem next year.

Let me help you not be quite so inane.....you cannot suggest he will replicate his stats because you think he is " big", "fast" or "sure handed". There is far more to such an assessment than the meager and perfunctory analysis you managed to spew in this thread.

I am merely suggesting that the same insipid promotion of Royal transpired, and perhaps owners need to take a more careful approach using actual thought when assessing Austin. Not to suggest he is not the real deal, just don't read your rather shallow assessment as some kind of meaningful information is all.... :unsure:

Never suggested he would replicate his stats. Just that he IS the #1 WR on Dallas and will remain so and that Romo LOVES to throw to the guy. Sure things MAY change and if they did we would re-assess, but at THIS POINT, the guy is top 10, especially in leagues where you get bonus for length of TDs.

Never suggested he would replicate his stats. Just that he IS the #1 WR on Dallas and will remain so and that Romo LOVES to throw to the guy. Sure things MAY change and if they did we would re-assess, but at THIS POINT, the guy is top 10, especially in leagues where you get bonus for length of TDs.

Fair enough.

I think placing him as the #1 on a team like Dallas certainly leads one to a confident opinion about him.

I cannot be certain right now how I might place him for the coming year. Once the draft is over and we see what FA moves transpire I can feel moer confident about getting a read on him.

As of now I will withhold any assessment.

Fair enough.

I think placing him as the #1 on a team like Dallas certainly leads one to a confident opinion about him.

I cannot be certain right now how I might place him for the coming year. Once the draft is over and we see what FA moves transpire I can feel moer confident about getting a read on him.

As of now I will withhold any assessment.

I will hold as far as coaching staff and offseason as well. I'll do that for pretty much every player. I could say that in pretty much every conversation I'd have about players on this board. Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson, Randy Moss.....no one's a sure thing for fantasy drafts in August right now.

Almost everything changed for Royal in the offseason. Coach, system, QB. I didn't want him beyond maybe a 3rd WR on my team in September.

But for conversations sake, believing today that Dallas has their same coaches, QB, system in place for 2010....I believe Austin is a top ten WR right now for all the reasons mentioned.

I will hold as far as coaching staff and offseason as well. I'll do that for pretty much every player. I could say that in pretty much every conversation I'd have about players on this board. Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson, Randy Moss.....no one's a sure thing for fantasy drafts in August right now.

Almost everything changed for Royal in the offseason. Coach, system, QB. I didn't want him beyond maybe a 3rd WR on my team in September.

But for conversations sake, believing today that Dallas has their same coaches, QB, system in place for 2010....I believe Austin is a top ten WR right now for all the reasons mentioned.

I used the same reasoning regarding Royal and staying away from him.

I will keep a close eye on Austin for sure, and hope to arrive at a decent assessment of him. :doublethumbsup:

Austin's numbers this lead me to believe he can do it again next year. He and Romo have clicked. His numbers may not increase a lot next year but they'll be as good as this year and that convinces me to make him one of 3 keepers in my money league that I won this year. I'll be keeping him over Steve Smith(Car), who's QB situation is a question mark, and don't think he'll be a top 10 receiver next year. Also keeping Austin over Greg Jennings. Jennings had a disappointing year for a lot of people compared to where they drafted him. I'm going to keep Jamaal Charles over Ronnie Brown and Clinton Portis which I had both of them on IR. Charles started 10 games when he replaced Larry Johnson and finished at #12 in stats here. He had 1120 yds on just 190 carries and he should get at least 250 carries which will bump up his yardage and td totals. He also had 40 catches which should increase next year. I believe he'll be a top 10 back even if he is on the Chiefs. My 3rd keeper is the main reason I won my league,QB Aaron Rodgers. Our passing td's were 6 pts. and he led all players in scoring in the league. So I'll be happy with Rodgers,Charles and Austin to start before our draft.