Sign in to follow this  
jocstrap

Tell me why Jamaal Charles isn't is 1st rounder 2010

1,000 rushing and almost 300 receiving in only 9 starts. Plus he has 7 td's.

If you get bonus points for distances, this too is a bonus.

I'll be looking to see who KC brings in this offseason. This is my only concern

He's on Kansas City.

Topic over.

17 - 145 - 1 so far against a team needing to win to make it into the playoffs :shocking:

last week 124 total yards - 0 td's

week 15 = 170 total yards - 1 td

week 14 = 181 total yards 2 td's

and what's your point?

I was going to start him over AP this week, but couldn't get to the computer! I would be winning by 12 points in my championship game, but instead I am ahead by one and he still has Braylon Edwards going!

I drafted him in round 14 so next year I can keep him for a 13! I will be the defending champs with Charles as my 1 keeper (we can keep 1 guy drafted after the 10th round.) We do it to reward great picks. I think this classifies as a great pick.

I drafted him in round 14 so next year I can keep him for a 13! I will be the defending champs with Charles as my 1 keeper (we can keep 1 guy drafted after the 10th round.) We do it to reward great picks. I think this classifies as a great pick.

I snatched him up in all three of my leagues this year - - man he's been a stud

I snatched him up in all three of my leagues this year - - man he's been a stud

Me too man i got him in 2 of 3 in the other i took a flyer on FFTODAY legend James Davis. I won 2 super bowls and missed my playoffs in the other. Can you guess which teams had Mr Charles carrying the rock?

Charles - :banana:

Charkes - :banana:

Davis - :banana: :pointstosky:

Personally, I am going to have a tough time choosing between him and brees as one of my two keepers. It will probably come down to what KC does this off season and what other QBs get released into the draft next year.

I think he is a stud though - got the skill set to be productive even when losing which imo is the key to a good fantasy back.

260 on the day now, with 2 TDs, jesus.

The breakaway ability is FF money - especially since he gets one or two a game.

He's on Kansas City.

Topic over.

Brilliant!

Topic over.

all your bold 2009 predictions tanked big time. fyi.

that's why they were bold.

I didn't want to jinx my studs:)

260 on the day now, with 2 TDs, jesus.

The breakaway ability is FF money - especially since he gets one or two a game.

running back with sprinters speed

not

sprinters speed playing running back

Seriously, why draft a guy in the first round based off one good half season? Let some other goofball take a Chief in the first round and take someone that has had more than 9 games of success.

What do Billy Volek, Drew Bennent, Pierre Thomas, Ryan Grant all have in common? They had breakout second halves of seasons that helped fantasy owners big time. They also have never been first round worthy fantasy draft picks and under-achieved the second year after their breakout.

Seriously, why draft a guy in the first round based off one good half season? Let some other goofball take a Chief in the first round and take someone that has had more than 9 games of success.

he's the 2nd best runner in the league behind CJIII 2nd half of the season. I'll be that goofball. Not saying I would take him at 1.3 but 1.10 and later is not a stretch by any means with those numbers.

Just look at this year's 1st round busts. Why not take a chance?

What do Billy Volek, Drew Bennent, Pierre Thomas, Ryan Grant all have in common? They had breakout second halves of seasons that helped fantasy owners big time. They also have never been first round worthy fantasy draft picks and under-achieved the second year after their breakout.

Don't forget about Samkon Gado!

The only one here that correlates is ryan grant, assuming jamaal charles goes into the season as the feature back. and by the way, ryan grant turned out pretty good. Charles obviously has better natural speed and is used more in the passing game, so I don't think he is as much of a risk, especially considering KC almost has to be better next year.

volek the back up QB, bennent the white wide out with a few monster games, and pierre thomas a RBBC guy are not the same. This guy is going to get a shot at the feature back role, something that is pretty rare these days, and he has done nothing but prove that he is an emerging top talent.

samkon gado? the undrafted back up?

if you guys don't see how the guys listed above are different than charles then your novices

Billy Volek - definitely not a 1st round pick I agree

Drew Bennett - definitely not a 1st round pick I agree

Ryan Grant - maybe after what he did 2 years ago

Pierre Thomas - definitely not a first round pick

that's all you can come up with?

Charles is at 1500 total yards and 9 td's in only 9 starts. I would say that's at a different level then the names you posted. Like I said, 1.3 or 1.4 no, but 1.10 and later, hell ya.

and you forgot tyler thigpen

Volek and Bennett were together during the same season and sucked badly during week 16. I know because I started Volek in a chip game. Volek was not highly regarded at all going into next season because he was still the backup for McNair.

Bennett was similiar in that McNair was coming back and thus rated according. Still taken too high of course.

The Packers jumped the gun and gave Grant a pretty good deal after that run so nobody would have that much doubt as to if he were starting and getting most of the work. But Grants 09 numbers were better than his 08 numbers over that entire season. Not a bust in 09.

Thomas scored quite a bit in the second half but yardagewise was not that impressive and went in drafts/auctions based on speculation as much as anything because he plays with Drew Brees. He did nothing even close to what Charles has done as far as overall play.

if you guys don't see how the guys listed above are different than charles then your novices

How is he any different? I loved Charles this year. I rode him Rodgers and Andre Johnson to a title. But that doesn't mean I draft him in the first round next year. I need more than half a season from a guy on a bad team to make that leap. He's a late second early third rounder. Maybe he's the next LT2. But I doubt it. Go for it at 1.10 next year if you want. Nobody is stopping you. But if you want me to drop my trousers on the guy you need to go somewhere else.

he's the 2nd best runner in the league behind CJIII 2nd half of the season. I'll be that goofball. Not saying I would take him at 1.3 but 1.10 and later is not a stretch by any means with those numbers.

Just look at this year's 1st round busts. Why not take a chance?

because you don't have to. take a chance in the later rounds, on the NEXT Jamaal Charles, instead of taking a chance on the next Steve Slaton, Matt Forte, etc.

How is he any different?

Volek, bennent, and gado were all considered to be flashes in the pan due to the circumstances of their break out seasons. no one them was drafted high. Pierre thomas was and still is in an RBBC - if he was not he would be a sure fire early pick as well.

Grant, as i said, had a similar situation - but grant is in no way the dynamic player that charles has proven himself to be. Charles is faster and is factor in the passing game. he has truly rare breakaway speed which he showcased both running and returning kicks. He did it all on a bad team, which is young and probably will get better. He is a class above grant talent wise, and is is much more favorable situations than all of those guys you listed.

At least in PPR leagues, I think he goes late first round or early second in redrafts assuming he retains the feature back role. We have seen backup RBs with scant playing time go that high when changing teams and becoming feature backs - a guy that did what charles has done to solidify his spot won't be around in the second for long if at all.

Volek, bennent, and gado were all considered to be flashes in the pan due to the circumstances of their break out seasons. no one them was drafted high. Pierre thomas was and still is in an RBBC - if he was not he would be a sure fire early pick as well.

Grant, as i said, had a similar situation - but grant is in no way the dynamic player that charles has proven himself to be. Charles is faster and is factor in the passing game. he has truly rare breakaway speed which he showcased both running and returning kicks. He did it all on a bad team, which is young and probably will get better. He is a class above grant talent wise, and is is much more favorable situations than all of those guys you listed.

At least in PPR leagues, I think he goes late first round or early second in redrafts assuming he retains the feature back role. We have seen backup RBs with scant playing time go that high when changing teams and becoming feature backs - a guy that did what charles has done to solidify his spot won't be around in the second for long if at all.

People were really high on Grant two years ago and Pierre Thomas this year too. They both had breakout monster second halves of the seasons. However neither produced first round worthy second years. Which is the point.

You can talk Charles up all you want. I heard the same thing about those guys too. There have been 10x more letdowns from guys like this than there have been goldmines.

It's not that I don't think he can be really good. It's just that I don't make a first round gamble on it.

How is he any different? I loved Charles this year. I rode him Rodgers and Andre Johnson to a title. But that doesn't mean I draft him in the first round next year. I need more than half a season from a guy on a bad team to make that leap. He's a late second early third rounder. Maybe he's the next LT2. But I doubt it. Go for it at 1.10 next year if you want. Nobody is stopping you. But if you want me to drop my trousers on the guy you need to go somewhere else.

Here's fftoday 2009 ADP

1.01 Adrian Peterson RB MIN

1.03 Maurice Jones-Drew RB JAC

1.03 Michael Turner RB ATL

1.04 Matt Forte RB CHI

1.06 Larry Fitzgerald WR ARI

1.07 LaDainian Tomlinson RB

1.07 DeAngelo Williams RB CAR

1.09 Steven Jackson RB STL

1.09 Randy Moss WR NE

1.09 Andre Johnson WR HOU

1.12 Steve Slaton RB HOU

1.12 Chris Johnson RB TEN

I'm definitely not scared to take a chance. Look at this year's first round RB players.

Charles' numbers are 1st round worthy looking at the results of guys like Turner, SJ, Forte, Dwilly, and Slaton.

Like I said, I'll be curious to see who's brought in, or who's drafted to make my final decision on Charles. Right now though, he's producing as the #2 overall running back in the league. That's all I have to go by at this point.

But I'll tell you something....

259 rushing yards + 2 td's to end the year ain't all that bad!

I don't see how playing in KC ends the topic. Barring a couple of games, their offense moves the ball and their bigger problems are on the defensive side of the ball. Also, Priest Holmes and LJ played in KC too and Edwards was not the offensive mastermind that Haley is reputed to be.

because you don't have to. take a chance in the later rounds, on the NEXT Jamaal Charles, instead of taking a chance on the next Steve Slaton, Matt Forte, etc.

who would you rather me take? Clinton Portis late in the 1st round?

I suppose it's based on your leagues scoring

I get 1 bonus point for each rush over 20 yards

I get 3 bonus points for a rushing day over 100 yards

this makes Charles very exciting with his potential 20 yard runs

then you have the PPR leagues, and he'll do just fine there.

Why not take THE Jamaal Charles instead of taking a chance on the NEXT Jamaal Charles. I'll draft that guy also in later rounds, so my azzs will be covered!

does anyone remember when LJ blamed the line for his troubles and then bang.........JC tears it up with the same line

Ok, so we can establish that Jamaal Charles is better than Larry Johnson.

I think anyone with fantasy savvy knew that one already.

Ok, so we can establish that Jamaal Charles is better than Larry Johnson.

I think anyone with fantasy savvy knew that one already.

and how did LJ do the year after he was given full reigns? 20+ td's or something?

just saying:)

and how did LJ do the year after he was given full reigns? 20+ td's or something?

just saying:)

LMAO

That offensive line isn't even close to a shadow of itself from those days. Missing 2 HOF offensive linemen.

Grant and Thomas did not in any way, shape or form perform in the second halves of their first real seasons as Charles has. I don't think they are even close enough to make comparisons personally. Go look at the game logs of Grant 2 seasons ago, Thomas last season and Charles this season. It is apples to oranges IMO.

Larry Johnson is a great example of someone who came from absolutely nowhere, had a great second half and then lived up to it for the next couple seasons.

LMAO

That offensive line isn't even close to a shadow of itself from those days. Missing 2 HOF offensive linemen.

You do realize that you have completely contradicted your previous posts with this statement. Charles has put up Johnsonesque circa 2005 numbers behind a much much worse line.

who would you rather me take?

CJ

ADP

MJD

Rice

A.Johnson

Gore

Turner

Fitz

Brees

Steven Jackson

Wayne

Manning

To start out with, then

Moss

Benson

Rodgers

Mendenhall

B.Marshall

Wes Welker

Rivers

Brady

and maybe even

Moreno

D.Jackson

D.Clark

You do realize that you have completely contradicted your previous posts with this statement. Charles has put up Johnsonesque circa 2005 numbers behind a much much worse line.

For every Chris Johnson who breaks on the scene there is a Steve Slaton, Matt Forte, Pierre Thomas, Ryan Grant, Mike Bell, Tatum Bell, Kevin Jones, I'm out of breath. Who under-perform because we didn't have enough data. HTH

You don't win Fantasy titles in the first round (you do that in the middle rounds), but you sure can lose them by bombing in the first. :doublethumbsup: