Sign in to follow this  
Chronic Husker

Jets @ Indy

The playoffs are what matters, not the regular season, and despite being in the playoffs 10 of the past 11 years the Colts have managed just one Super Bowl appearance (this, despite having good "regular season" teams). So I give credit where it's due: to winners, not to consistently underachieving teams who always fail to get over the hump. I wrote what I did in response to Colts fans asking where the credit was and I'll say they deserve credit for winning a Super Bowl. But that's it. The Ravens won a Super Bowl over the past decade. So did the Bucs. And the Giants. That's the company your Colts are in. There is no "decade of dominance" - there's a one year wonder story about the 2006 season. But so what? Many teams have gotten lucky in a season and won it all. What sours people on the Colts is the fact they've been good enough to get there year in and out but they don't. For some reason or another, there's always some lame excuse, they fail to come through when the games matter most. They are the NFL's textbook example of an also-ran.

Your replies certainly consist of a lot of letters.

More than 40!

The Colts have been in the playoffs, what, 10 of the past 11 years? How many Super Bowl trips over that period? For all their talk of a "decade of dominance" I've witnessed a decade of choke jobs. What credit do they deserve? For good teams, the barometer is Super Bowls. Either win 'em or at least put yourself in 'em. The Colts have routinely failed at both, despite having the personnel to get it done every year. For all their impressive regular season victories they have a void in the trophy cabinet and that's what matters at the end of the day. The Colts have always come up short when the games have mattered most.

So flawed that I can't decide where to begin. :music_guitarred:

In retrospect, the decision to rest players week 16 has benefitted the Colts two-fold: they avoided injuries and by "allowing" the Jets to win that game, they "allowed" them into the playoffs, which bumped Pittsburgh/Houston. If the Colts had won week 16 through their pursuit of perfection, either of those two other teams make it into the playoffs, and the matchups would have been adjusted accordingly. Whatever they might have been, it could have been dramatically different than facing the 5th and 6th seeds in the playoffs.....like facing New England and/or Pittsburgh and/or San Diego.

pitt or houston would still have been the 5th or 6th seed

and new england and cincy would have had to lose for the Colts to play the 5th or 6th seed.

So still, playing the 5th or 6th seed is entirely independent from the Colts decision to tank games at the end of the regular season.

unless i just didn't read you correctly, it sounced as if you were saying that the Colts decision to tank helped them with health (true) and also determined who their opponents would be at this stage (untrue)

pitt or houston would still have been the 5th or 6th seed

and new england and cincy would have had to lose for the Colts to play the 5th or 6th seed.

So still, playing the 5th or 6th seed is entirely independent from the Colts decision to tank games at the end of the regular season.

unless i just didn't read you correctly, it sounced as if you were saying that the Colts decision to tank helped them with health (true) and also determined who their opponents would be at this stage (untrue)

All I'm saying is that the decision to rest players triggered a chain of events that ultimately enabled the Colts to play the 5th & 6th seeded teams in the playoffs. I understand that the Colts losing that week had nothing to do with Cincy and New England losing their Wild Card games.....but the Colts losing week 16 helped the Jets get into the playoffs....and their entry directly helped decide the fates of Cincy and SD, and New England/Baltimore indirectly.

If the Colts go for 16-0, the Jets would have been bounced from the playoffs, someone else would have made it, and the whole sequence of who plays who would have changed.

Maybe I just need phillybear to rap about the universe course correcting itself.....or something.

The playoffs are what matters, not the regular season, and despite being in the playoffs 10 of the past 11 years the Colts have managed just one Super Bowl appearance (this, despite having good "regular season" teams). So I give credit where it's due: to winners, not to consistently underachieving teams who always fail to get over the hump. I wrote what I did in response to Colts fans asking where the credit was and I'll say they deserve credit for winning a Super Bowl. But that's it. The Ravens won a Super Bowl over the past decade. So did the Bucs. And the Giants. That's the company your Colts are in. There is no "decade of dominance" - there's a one year wonder story about the 2006 season. But so what? Many teams have gotten lucky in a season and won it all. What sours people on the Colts is the fact they've been good enough to get there year in and out but they don't. For some reason or another, there's always some lame excuse, they fail to come through when the games matter most. They are the NFL's textbook example of an also-ran.

The Colts are one of the top 3 franchises in the past 10 years. What the fock are you talking about?

one has to love the intangibles, story, and odds for the jets to win this game. however, both of their winning formulas have some counterpoints.

first, the team identity of ground-and-pound and a defense is a repeat of the ravens. we saw that team unable to score points against an underrated and obviously legit colts defense.

second, the entity of a super cover corner is also old. a few yrs ago, denver got absolutely torched in the playoff path of manning with like a 400-5[?] game. mike shanahan traded clinton portis for cover corner champ bailey, to make sure it didn't happen again. they met again in the playoffs the following season, and the results were: marvin harrison 3-40, wayne 220-2, clark 120-2, manning 400-4[?], colts blowout again. [basically, manning sent the memo to shanahan that adding bailey was nice but nothing bothersome in the long run, and shanahan better trade for then ty law and chris mcalister for the next meeting.]

manning doesn't care if his top guy is blanketed, because he has both the skill and, most importantly, the patience to stay focused and in complete understanding of the game and its ebbs, flows, and situations. he indeed loves to hit homeruns on the deepball, but will settle for underneath routes; he loves to pass the ball, but comes to the line with two run calls and one pass call, and changes to those runs when defenses drop back into maximum coverage [ie loved the 8-man fronts he saw during his record breaking season, and checked off to enough runs to allow edge to hit 1500 rush yds].

it is tough to discount the the last game. without kris jenkins, the jets bring pressure with numbers, and even with a revis in coverage on one weapon, manning is the guy who has the patience and skill to make the other weapons hurt the opposition [unlike the chargers a week ago with the same scenario]. manning hit 65% of his passes in that month ago meeting, was averaging 14yds per completion, all with reggie wayne "only" having 3 recs for 30yds [and a very possible look at a TD grab on a tricky goalline route]. it's hard to bet against him against this unit with which he has already had a live action trial run.

9-Route

I agree with you that a shutdown cover corner is probably least bothersome to a QB like Manning. Manning can find his other weapons and be patient enough to pick his spots against Revis. This will be the Jets toughest game for sure and its part of the reason why I was elated when the Ravens knocked off the Pats and allowed the Jets to travel to San Diego which I felt was a more winnable game for them.

But the Ravens defense that the Colts played last week is older and slower than this Jets defense. Don't get me wrong, they are still a top unit and very good but this Jets defense with Revis, Harris, Scott, Pace and a resurgent Kerry Rhodes is younger and faster, imo and don't discount the guy calling the plays.

What worries me the most is Dwight Freeney. The Jets line needs to protect Sanchez so he can have time to make smart decisions with the football and in the first half of their week 16 meeting I think Freeney got loose at least twice.

What plays in our favor, I think, is that the pressure is on Indy and the Jets have nothing to lose. Manning only has 1 SB despite year after year of great teams and all the talk of letting the Jets win in week 16 means there may be a bit of pressure to beat them in a real game now. New York is riding this high but since they were not supposed to be this far, every win is icing on the cake. They know they have a young core and are built for the future.

9-Route

I agree with you that a shutdown cover corner is probably least bothersome to a QB like Manning. Manning can find his other weapons and be patient enough to pick his spots against Revis. This will be the Jets toughest game for sure and its part of the reason why I was elated when the Ravens knocked off the Pats and allowed the Jets to travel to San Diego which I felt was a more winnable game for them.

But the Ravens defense that the Colts played last week is older and slower than this Jets defense. Don't get me wrong, they are still a top unit and very good but this Jets defense with Revis, Harris, Scott, Pace and a resurgent Kerry Rhodes is younger and faster, imo and don't discount the guy calling the plays.

What worries me the most is Dwight Freeney. The Jets line needs to protect Sanchez so he can have time to make smart decisions with the football and in the first half of their week 16 meeting I think Freeney got loose at least twice.

What plays in our favor, I think, is that the pressure is on Indy and the Jets have nothing to lose. Manning only has 1 SB despite year after year of great teams and all the talk of letting the Jets win in week 16 means there may be a bit of pressure to beat them in a real game now. New York is riding this high but since they were not supposed to be this far, every win is icing on the cake. They know they have a young core and are built for the future.

cannot agree more with your last assessment, about the teams and their outlooks. that was never more evident than by coach rex ryan starting early in the week to let everyone know that his group will be the "loosest you've ever seen before a conf chmp game". he is planting that seed early that yes, the colts are still in the pressure cooker to perform and reach the SB despite winning last week and showing no rust from the resting of players against these very jets and as some of the media and fans have put it, "graciously allowing them to enter the playoffs". the jets will play very simply, hitting, running, and slinging it around with a sense of zero expectations. if they lose 42-0, no big thing, they weren't supposed to be there anyways; if they win, coach ryan called it.

freeney has been very timely and efficient with his rush this season. he had a very consistent game log this season, resembling the consecutive sacks in a game streak with which demarcus ware entered the yr. we know this postseason has been all about pass rush, either by numbers [jets] or by base talent [vikes]. the biggest asset to freeney;s game over the past two seasons is his ability to help his other linemates and defensive mates even more than as the threat he is. he has started understanding how to manuever his rush against gaps and responsibilities to hurt offensive protections and help open opps for his guys. the jets def do not want sanchez and pass game to be discouraged if the pass rush is in full effect.

without kris jenkins, the jets bring pressure with numbers

The Jets have brought pressure with numbers all season, with or without Kris Jenkins.

And here's an interesting tidbit, regarding his absence:

* the Jets defense got better against the run after losing NT Kris Jenkins for the season in Week 7. This doesn't mean Jenkins' impact was negligible, but fill-in Sione Pouha has established himself as more than just a backup-caliber nose man. With Jenkins in the lineup, the Jets allowed 115.7 rushing yards per game. With Pouha in, they gave up just 98.6 and finished No. 8 overall in run defense.

As for Revis, I'm not sure what you're saying. The guy is a rising star and losing Wayne to his coverage hurts more now than Champ Bailey vs. Wayne/Harrison did in years past. Manning doesn't have Marvin Harrison on the other side - he's got rookies playing in their first championship game. The Jets defense is also far more balanced than Denver's used to be. Rhodes can stay with Dallas Clark.

The key will be how the Colts handle the pressure, and whether it can finally get home on Manning. Peyton didn't automatically become any better than he's always been. It's just the league which doesn't have many defensive schemes to bother him. The old Patriots used to really own Manning, due to their various changes at the line of scrimmage and bizarre formations. Manning is arguably the smartest QB in NFL history, but if he can't tell what defense is lining up he's as mortal as any. Have you seen the Jets defense play? As in, when they have people just standing there, pre-snap, bunched together? If any defense has a chance against Manning it's one that seems to have no identity before the snap of the football.

The Jets have brought pressure with numbers all season, with or without Kris Jenkins.

* the Jets defense got better against the run after losing NT Kris Jenkins for the season in Week 7. This doesn't mean Jenkins' impact was negligible, but fill-in Sione Pouha has established himself as more than just a backup-caliber nose man. With Jenkins in the lineup, the Jets allowed 115.7 rushing yards per game. With Pouha in, they gave up just 98.6 and finished No. 8 overall in run defense.

As for Revis, I'm not sure what you're saying. The guy is a rising star and losing Wayne to his coverage hurts more now than Champ Bailey vs. Wayne/Harrison did in years past. Manning doesn't have Marvin Harrison on the other side - he's got rookies playing in their first championship game. The Jets defense is also far more balanced than Denver's used to be. Rhodes can stay with Dallas Clark.

The key will be how the Colts handle the pressure, and whether it can finally get home on Manning. Peyton didn't automatically become any better than he's always been. It's just the league which doesn't have many defensive schemes to bother him. The old Patriots used to really own Manning, due to their various changes at the line of scrimmage and bizarre formations. Manning is arguably the smartest QB in NFL history, but if he can't tell what defense is lining up he's as mortal as any. Have you seen the Jets defense play? As in, when they have people just standing there, pre-snap, bunched together? If any defense has a chance against Manning it's one that seems to have no identity before the snap of the football.

This is really a point you're going to argue?? I'm sorry, but Austin Collie had a tremendous rookie year, and even played well in the playoffs.

You do realize that the Jets passing attack and rushing attack rest on the shoulders of 2 rookies? :overhead:

This is really a point you're going to argue??

You have to consider the entire context of the discussion :overhead:

Marvin Harrison, 5 years ago > current rookie WRs

You have to consider the entire context of the discussion :unsure:

Marvin Harrison, 5 years ago > current rookie WRs

But you mention the fact that they are rookies playing in their first Championship game. And I think our WR corps is much deeper than it's ever been. Certainly we don't have Marvin in his prime, but we've got a pair of 100 catch threats in Wayne and Clark, who are top3 in their position. Garcon has stepped up tremendously and has provided the deep threat/run-after-the-catch type player we've never had. Austin Collie has stepped in and IMMEDIATELY filled in the Brandon Stokley slot position.

I'm really not worried about our offense even IF (and that is an IF), Darelle Revis completely shuts down Wayne. Manning will pick apart the other sides of the field...Clark will have 8 catches, 100 yards...Garcon and Collie will each have 4-6 catches for 50+ yards, and Manning will get our RB's involved as well.

But you mention the fact that they are rookies playing in their first Championship game. And I think our WR corps is much deeper than it's ever been. Certainly we don't have Marvin in his prime, but we've got a pair of 100 catch threats in Wayne and Clark, who are top3 in their position. Garcon has stepped up tremendously and has provided the deep threat/run-after-the-catch type player we've never had. Austin Collie has stepped in and IMMEDIATELY filled in the Brandon Stokley slot position.

I'm really not worried about our offense even IF (and that is an IF), Darelle Revis completely shuts down Wayne. Manning will pick apart the other sides of the field...Clark will have 8 catches, 100 yards...Garcon and Collie will each have 4-6 catches for 50+ yards, and Manning will get our RB's involved as well.

I am actually seeing Addai and Brown having big games again against the Jets.

I am actually seeing Addai and Brown having big games again against the Jets.

Running the ball or out of the backfield??

I just don't see us running the ball consistently. We may in spurts, or have a few decent runs, but I dont think we can rely on the running game to score points.

i again get the feeling that this game will either be a close Jets win or an Indy blowout.

ill throw some whacky predictions out there.

I think Peyton throws 1TD and 1 INT. The Colts score another on the ground as well as 1 FG.

Sanchez limits his mistakes. No interceptions. Jets score 2 on the ground along with 1 FG. They get the ball back with a little under 2 minutes to go and needing a FG to win and Feeley delivers a 43 yarder.

:unsure:

:dunno:

Running the ball or out of the backfield??

I just don't see us running the ball consistently. We may in spurts, or have a few decent runs, but I dont think we can rely on the running game to score points.

We ran the ball well against them in week 16. Had two rushing td's. But I think more will be out of the backfield. Some dumps and screens.

---the point about jenkins was referring to the two methods of pass rush. with him, they have the option of using base 3 and 4 personnel up front because he can play 3-technique and attack the a-gaps on his own, disrupting the qb up the middle; without him, they do not have this option---they do not have a base 4 man rush that can consistently or qualitatively attack a qb. they must now use the numbers, the overload blitz packages of rex ryan to attack passers.

---the point about revis and cover corners is that scenarios are the same. at that time of my denver reference, wayne and clark were also young in their careers and not nearly elite positional players. the premise is that manning is the lone qb accurate and skilled enough to make you pay in single coverages on wr3s and wr4s in the face of fierce blitz pressure. manning is among the best, if not the best, against pressure packages and simply does not take a lot of sacks due to his release and awareness.

---manning has raised his awareness and knowledge light years ahead of the times when exotic deployments [ie belichick using safeties up, corners back] affected his play. rex ryan himself has faced manning several times over the past few seasonss, including that playoff gem in their 2006 SB run. ryan has stated that trying to confuse manning with coverages is not th preferred method. furthermore, the rest of the jets defensive personnel is quite pedestrian. it is not the personnel with which ryan worked in baltimore. kerry rhodes is indeed a good safety, known for making plays [a top positional rate of FF, sacks, and INTs], but he is not in the coverage class of ed reed, whom ryan has used against manning with success; jim leonard is a nice player, with high heart and effort, but he is not a safety with one-on-one coverage prowess by any stretch of the imagination. dwight lowery is a contributing little nickel corner in this scheme, but nothing special one-on-one; i have always liked lito sheppard, but he is not the solo coverage guy he used to be. the defensive ploy of milling around presnap and attempting to confuse the passer about which players are attacking and which protections must be called is decent at best now, because he is just so prepared and correct in his calls with center jeff saturday and the backs like joseph addai. the other aspect is the route development of the colts, as they run so many sight adjustment-recognition routes that can solve coverages overall and individually. [ie the adjustment the pats made in the second jets game where normally short route running blitz beater wes welker took his routes deep when leonard and jets coverage jumped his short area routes, leading to big gains.]

---everyone facing the aggresive overload blitz package of the jets knew the solution from jumpstreet: read and recognize extremely quickly, be accurate on throws to lesser options. not many guys can do that, the chargers had the tools but could not do it; manning can.

The fact that there is a TON of money being thrown at the Jets in Vegas almost guarantees that the Colts will destroy them. The Jets are extremely lucky to be where they are. Not saying its cheesey but it is what it is. Barely made the playoffs and needed better teams to rest to get there, Keading misses 3 close FGs, etc, etc. They are almost as lucky as The Pats have been over the years with everything just falling into place and the other team "handing" them games.

The problem is that when your entire strategy is to wait for the other team to screw up or miss short FGs, you really are asking for a lot. Eventually, the other team does NOT hand you the game like the Chargers did. Indy wont likely make that mistake.

Noone wants the Jets in the SB. Sorry, but thats the fact of the matter. And, quite frankly they hardly even deserve to be there anyways. They have one-hit-wonder written all over them. Weve seen this all too many times since "parity" has been the way of the league:

- Team comes out of nowhere and backs into playoffs

- Team wins playoff games with some seedy circumstances and dumb luck

- Team gets to Super Bowl only to make the game bad and get killed or at least lose

- Team disappears the following year because the novetly has worn off and noones surprised anymore.

- Team is 6-10 for the next 5 years and are completely forgotten

We'll see. But, I dunno.... The Jets just reek of smoke, mirrors, and crazy luck.

The Jets are going to need a lot of help from the Colts. They can't just head in to Indianapolis and win straight up. Pound for pound, they are by far the "inferior" team. That said, if they get some luck, I'll give them due. Football is a game riddled with chance. I just hope the game isn't a total blowout; I want to enjoy watching both games.

The Colts will win, but it will not be because of Peyton. The defense is going to manhandle Sanchez. He will have at least three turnovers (probably four).

The Colts offense will be mediocre (I wouldn't be surprised to see Peyton throw two picks), but all they will need to do is score 14 points and they will win.

The Jets are going to need a lot of help from the Colts. They can't just head in to Indianapolis and win straight up. Pound for pound, they are by far the "inferior" team. That said, if they get some luck, I'll give them due. Football is a game riddled with chance. I just hope the game isn't a total blowout; I want to enjoy watching both games.

Amen on good games! I do NOT want the Colts to blow them out whatsoever. There have been a grand total of TWO good playoff games thus far. The rest were over by the 2nd quarter. Not what people want for playoff football!

The Jets should keep it close but like I said - Vegas "seems" to know certain things and all that money going ton the jets and 8 point spread could spell doom for The Jets!

The fact that there is a TON of money being thrown at the Jets in Vegas almost guarantees that the Colts will destroy them. The Jets are extremely lucky to be where they are. Not saying its cheesey but it is what it is. Barely made the playoffs and needed better teams to rest to get there, Keading misses 3 close FGs, etc, etc. They are almost as lucky as The Pats have been over the years with everything just falling into place and the other team "handing" them games.

The problem is that when your entire strategy is to wait for the other team to screw up or miss short FGs, you really are asking for a lot. Eventually, the other team does NOT hand you the game like the Chargers did. Indy wont likely make that mistake.

Noone wants the Jets in the SB. Sorry, but thats the fact of the matter. And, quite frankly they hardly even deserve to be there anyways. They have one-hit-wonder written all over them. Weve seen this all too many times since "parity" has been the way of the league:

- Team gets to Super Bowl only to make the game bad and get killed or at least lose

- Team disappears the following year because the novetly has worn off and noones surprised anymore.

We'll see. But, I dunno.... The Jets just reek of smoke, mirrors, and crazy luck.

I agree with most of your post about luck and fortune. I do think the Jets deserve a little more credit, as they are contributing to some of the other team's mistakes. For instance, the Jets putting constant pressure or Rivers/Palmer forcing some bad throws...and Revis and others with great coverage and a few nice INT's.

I'm not sure the Jets will fall into being a forgotten team though. Sanchez looks like the real deal. He'll probably never sling the ball around 40 times a game, but he seems poised to take over the young Aikman/Brady role of just managing the game, making a few clutch throws, and playing smart. Shonn Greene is a beast and should be for the next 5-7 years. I'm not sure how young their OLine is, but this team seems to have a solid foundation...

All that being said, I just don't see them being SuperBowl bound. They don't have the skill players needed to beat the Colts. The teams that typically beat/compete with the Colts over the past few years have play-makers on the outside like R. Moss or A. Johnson, and a great QB. When a team is one-dimensional like the Jets...the Colts' DEF usually has a ton of success shutting down that one dimension...and I think they'll force Sanchez/Edwards/Cotchery to beat them.

I like the Colts, 27-13

i wouldn't say no one wants them in the Super Bowl. One of the largest media markets in the nation certainly does. and I'm betting the NFL would absolutely LOVE a Jets Vikings Super Bowl. Imagine the story lines. Favre at age 40 is back in the Super Bowl going up against the team he played for in 2008 who now has the first ever rookie QB to start a Super Bowl. Rex Ryan will be offering sound bytes for 2 weeks...

You can say they don't deserve to be there but they beat the Bengals and they beat the Chargers. those teams could have played better but they didn't. The Jets got alot of help to make the playoffs (mostly indy in week 16) but why appologize? They have taken care of business after that.

One hit wonder? they sport the best defense and best running game with a rookie QB and rookie RB who looks outstanding. The best CB in the league and a young nucleus (Sanchez, Greene, Revis, Harris, Mangold, Ferguson, Keller etc).. I think this team is set up to be a playoff threat for the next 5 years.

The Colts have been in the playoffs, what, 10 of the past 11 years? How many Super Bowl trips over that period? For all their talk of a "decade of dominance" I've witnessed a decade of choke jobs. What credit do they deserve? For good teams, the barometer is Super Bowls. Either win 'em or at least put yourself in 'em. The Colts have routinely failed at both, despite having the personnel to get it done every year. For all their impressive regular season victories they have a void in the trophy cabinet and that's what matters at the end of the day. The Colts have always come up short when the games have mattered most.

So flawed that I can't decide where to begin. :wave:

You are the one who is flawed, MLK. Truth hurts bro?

:thumbsup: to mambokings

You will be watching the greatest QB mastermind of all time pick apart the Jets defense. There is great chemistry right now between Manning and all 4 of his WR/TE chess pieces. They are clicking on all cylinders. He's a genius when he gets up to the line, and starts all that audibling stuff. The Colts will jump out to a quick lead - Manning will not let up until late 4th - Sanchez has to throw 25 times - TROUBLE (2picks) - Indy's def/st gets a TD - And the Colts go on to win 41-13

Braylon Edwards catches a long td pass for the Jets only td of the day :headbanger:

nice call!