Sign in to follow this  
Saint Elistan

*OFFICIAL* 49ers Discussion Thread

San Francisco pulled off a double play, signing two draft picks: first-round pick Anthony Davis and third-round pick Navorro Bowman.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/07/30/10/Davis-Bowman-Sign-Rookie-Deals/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=280308&feedID=5936

Tackle Anthony Davis and linebacker Navorro Bowman have arrived at the 49ers' practice facility this morning in Santa Clara to sign their rookie contracts, Comcast SportsNet has learned.

Davis, chosen No. 11 overall, is expected to sign a five-year contract. Bowman, a third-rounder, will sign a four-year contract.

That leaves two of the 49ers' eight draft picks unsigned on the day rookies are scheduled to report: guard Mike Iupati (No. 17 overall) and safety Taylor Mays (second-round selection).

:banana:

Taylor Mays has agreed to a four-year contract and he's going in to sign his deal. All that leaves is Mike Iupati ...

http://www.csnbayarea.com/07/30/10/Mays-Agrees-to-Four-Year-Contract/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=280325&feedID=5936

Safety Taylor Mays was spotted just moments ago entering the 49ers' locker room. He has agreed to terms on his rookie contract, agent Gary Wichard confirmed to Comcast SportsNet Bay Area.

Mays is the third 49ers draft pick to agree to terms this morning, joining tackle Anthony Davis and linebacker Navorro Bowman as players to finalized their 49ers' contracts on the day rookies are scheduled to report for training camp.

Guard Mike Iupati, chosen with the No. 17 overall pick, remains the final unsigned 49ers draft pick. The club is working on finalizing that deal, too.

Coach Mike Singletary, perhaps anticipating all rookies would be under contract, decided Thursday to open practice a day earlier than originally planned.

The 49ers are scheduled to hold their first practice of training camp on Sunday in "shells." The team will put on pads for two practices, as originally scheduled, on Monday.

:pointstosky:

From Rotoworld:

49ers signed No. 17 overall pick OG Mike Iupati to a five-year, $18.25 million contract, including $10.8 million guaranteed.

Considered the most talented guard prospect to enter the draft in several years, Iupati is a mauling power blocker inside. The former Idaho star will have to cut down on his holding penalties at the NFL level. He already began taking first-team reps during the offseason, so he'll enter camp as the favorite to beat out veteran David Baas at left guard.

Nicely done by the front office. Time to get to work :headbanger:

49ers' McKillop Out for Season with Knee Injury

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/05/10/McKillop-Out-for-Season-with-Knee-Injury/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=284539&feedID=5936

Reserve inside linebacker Scott McKillop, one of the team's top special-teams contributors, is out for the season after sustaining a serious knee injury Wednesday in practice.

McKillop, a fifth-round pick in the 2009 draft from Pittsburgh, tore the anterior cruciate ligament and patellar tendon in his left knee, the 49ers announced after an MRI examination revealed the damage. He will undergo surgery in the near future.

McKillop's season-ending injury is a big blow to the 49ers. In the first week of training camp, he lined up as the team's No. 3 inside linebacker behind starters Patrick Willis and Takeo Spikes.

He was the 49ers' leading tackler on special teams with 31 tackles last season. McKillop also scored a touchdown against the St. Louis Rams when he recovered a muffed punt in the end zone. He appeared in all 16 games as a rookie.

McKillop's injury means the frontrunners for the 49ers' top two backups at the inside linebacker spots are veteran Matt Wilhelm and rookie NaVorro Bowman. Undrafted rookies Mike Balogun and Keaton Kristick are also in competition for roster spots.

Frees up a valuable roster spot, but man...I really liked McKillop. I was looking forward to seeing how much he improves in his second season. I hope the ACL doesn't affect his career.

49ers OLB Ahmad Brooks will miss at least two weeks with a lacerated kidney.

The good news is that I read that on the scale of severity for kidney injuries, Ahmad's is on the low end. Still...there a possibility that he'll miss some games. Guess we'll find out in two weeks. Until then, we have this:

Following up on Ahmad Brooks' injury

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/20969/following-up-on-ahmad-brooks-injury

"If it is a very tiny laceration, more superficial (or more toward the 'outer surface' of the kidney), this injury might well heal on its own and heal completely without further issue -- relatively quickly. A more severe injury could cause much more bleeding and in some instances require surgery, although that is far less common.

"At issue is how much bleeding there is and how long it takes for the kidney to repair itself. It often does heal itself well, but the biggest concern is sending someone back too soon and having the kidney vulnerable to further injury (particularly in a contact sport) and then having a far more serious situation at hand.

"The Chicago Bears' Garrett Wolfe last year suffered a lacerated kidney in early November, then was placed on injured reserve. But in that case, Wolfe, was hospitalized for three days post-injury, suggesting it was more serious from the outset than the case appears to be with Brooks.

"Unless Brooks' injury is more serious than it sounds on the surface, I would expect that he will be able to return. The question becomes when. While I certainly can't offer a specific timetable from here (and even the 49ers couldn't give a precise one because it all depends on how his healing progresses), I can say that the re-evaluation in two weeks will probably dictate whether looks well enough to return to practice. Expect more time before they allow contact."

49ers signed WR Kevin Jurovich.

Jurovich was a standout at San Jose State, but he couldn't make the Eagles roster. The undersized wideout also saw time at safety in college, though his versatility won't be enough to land him on the 49ers' final roster.

Depth while Brandon Jones rests his hammy.

49ers waived CB/PR LeRoy Vann.

Vann was a record-setting punt returning at Florida A&M, but he had trouble consistently catching punts in Niners camp. Rookie Kyle Williams and veteran Ted Ginn are now the favorites to return punts. Vann will likely get a look from a team starved for a returner.

Sad to see him go, but he just couldn't reliably catch punts. Cutting him now gives him a chance at another team and gives Williams / Ginn much more reps. So a :thumbsup: from me.

49ers C Eric Heitmann is out 6-8 weeks after fracturing his left fibula in training camp practice Monday.

In a best case scenario, he'll be back for Week 2 against the Saints (exactly six weeks from Monday), though that's probably a long shot. Heitmann, 30, has missed just two starts in the last six seasons and is easily the most reliable member of an interior line that will start rookie Mike Iupati at left guard and inconsistent Chilo Rachal on the right side. The 49ers have strong depth in David Baas, but inside run blocking could be a problem early on.

Matt Maiocco Twitterr:

RT @caplannfl The 49ers have agreed to contract terms with free-agent OLB Bruce Davis, a source said.

49ers waived/injured OLB Martail Burnett.

Burnett was carted off the field Monday with a knee injury, the severity of which is unknown. He'll go on injured reserve after he clears waivers.

And we've brought back LB Brandon Long as his replacement. We waived Long after OTAs earlier this year.

Davis, Iupati move into starting lineup - Link

Singletary consulted with offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye and offensive line coach Mike Solari. It was unanimous. Davis takes over at right tackle for Adam Snyder, while Iupati officially supplants David Baas, who is now seeing extensive work at center.

Really looking forward to the first couple games. I'm glad they made the decision to start them now, as opposed to closer or even during the season, although I'm sure Heitmann's injury had something to do with the timing. Now they can get plenty of reps, and hopefully prevent a slow start.

Apparently Kentwan "wasteofafirstroundpick" Balmer wont be around much longer. Unexcused absentee from practice today - and he still sucks.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/11/10/Balmer-Update-Absence-is-Unexcused/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=288151&feedID=5936

SANTA CLARA -- Defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer, the 49ers' first-round choice in the 2008 draft, is officially AWOL from training camp.

"Coach (Mike) Singletary met with him and told him to take a couple days off," said team spokesman Bob Lange. "When he did not come in today (Wednesday morning), it was an unexcused absence. He's been informed he's unexcused."

The 49ers are following standard league procedure in dealing with a player who has left the team, Lange said.

Balmer, who saw limited playing time in his first two NFL seasons, showed no signs of rising up the team's depth chart though the first week of camp. It appeared as if he would be in a battle to win a roster spot.

Balmer's name has been mentioned in recent news reports of an NCAA investigation for allegedly paying for the trips to California of former North Carolina teammates Marvin Austin and Cam Thomas.

The investigation has no impact on Balmer's NFL career, and the 49ers do not believe it has anything to do with Balmer's absence.

Singletary: Done Talking About Balmer

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/11/10/Singletary-Done-Talking-About-Balmer/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=288235&feedID=5936

Q: You asked him to be here, he's not here, that becomes a team issue. . .

Singletary: "It is not a distraction. It is not a team issue. We're moving forward."

Q: When you say "move forward," do you mean move on?

Singletary: "What I'm saying is, at this point right now, I told Kentwan to be here this morning. He is not here. As far as I'm concerned, I don't know what he's doing. But there is not going to be any phone calls, 'Kentwan, what are you doing?' 'Kentwan %u2026' I'm done with that. All I'm concerned with are the guys out here."

Q: You seemed to be understanding with other athletes, such as Michael Crabtree and Aubrayo Franklin. Those guys weren't under contract. Is this a different situation in your mind?

Singletary: "Let me say this, I talked to Kentwan and as simple as I could put it, I asked him to be here. He's not here. Yes, he is under contract. The fact that he's not here, that speaks to me. What it says, I really don't know. But I know, to him, I don't know what it says. But to us, all I know is he's not here, fine. We're practicing. We're doing what we have to do. We have to move forward."

Q: Does he have a future with the team?

Singletary: "Here we go now. I don't want to go there. I'm done with that. I'm done. I don't want to say anything further than that. If you guys want any other information about Kentwan, go to Kentwan."

49ers Take Chance of Losing McKillop

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/11/10/49ers-Take-Chance-of-Losing-McKillop/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=288436&feedID=5936

SANTA CLARA -- Injured linebacker Scott McKillop will find out in the next 24 hours whether he has a future with the 49ers.

The 49ers on Wednesday waived/injured McKillop, exposing him to the waiver wire after he underwent season-ending surgery Aug. 6 to repair tears to the anterior cruciate ligament and patellar tendon in his left knee.

If a team claims McKillop, the 49ers will lose him. But if no team puts in a waiver claim for McKillop in the next 24 hours, he will return

to the 49ers and be placed on injured reserve for the remainder of the season. The 49ers created a roster spot with the move. The club's other option was to maintain him on the roster until the Sept. 4 cuts to 53 players.

McKillop, a fifth-round draft pick from Pittsburgh, was among the 49ers' top special-teams players as a rookie. He played in all 16 games. He had worked his way into the mix as the 49ers' No. 3 linebacker before his injury.

The 49ers did the same thing Tuesday with outside linebacker Martail Burnett, who sustained a knee injury on Monday. Burnett cleared waivers, so he reverts to injured reserve with the 49ers.

Also, the 49ers signed undrafted rookie receiver Bobby Guillory of Central Missouri State. Guillory of Vallejo took part in the 49ers' local pro day in the days leading up to the NFL draft. The 49ers waived undrafted rookie receiver Scott Long of Louisville.

Losing McKillop to another team would devastate me. I love the kid.

49ers' Balmer still out, but says he's coming back

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_15745001?source=rss

Kentwan Balmer, absent from training camp without permission, said he has a meeting scheduled with coach Mike Singletary on Wednesday and plans to return to the 49ers.

In an exclusive interview with the Mercury News, the third-year defensive end echoed the team's stance that this is a personal matter. Balmer has missed two full days of practice and said he needs more time to handle things.

Asked if he was going to play for the 49ers again, Balmer said: "That's the plan."

The Mercury News reached Balmer by knocking on the door of his Santa Clara home. He did not disclose the nature of his personal issues and said he would discuss them only with Singletary.

"People are making a big deal about of nothing," Balmer said. "I feel like the 49ers could do a better job of saying that, but it's not my place to say."

Yeah, we'll see about that whole "coming back" thing. You're a Nolan/McC draft pick and you've shown us nothing on the field.

That was a bad draft to have Indy's 1st round pick. It's pretty amazing that DeSean Jackson fell as low as he did, and that we passed him up...twice... :doh:

The NFL has granted the 49ers a roster exemption for defensive end Kentwan Balmer, who has missed the last three days of training camp. That exemption allows the team to utilize Balmer's roster spot without releasing him. It also potentially gives the 49ers the right to withhold Balmer's paychecks during the preseason. The 49ers now are allowed to have 81 players on their training camp roster. They currently have 79.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/08/niners-get-rost.html#ixzz0wPDolE1D

Well that's good news at least.

I went ahead and replaced my Mock Drafts on page 1 with my Projected Depth Chart. Just my thoughts - nothing official.

My Projected Depth Chart

Offense (28)

Quarterback: Alex Smith, David Carr, Nate Davis (3)

Running Back: Frank Gore, Anthony Dixon, Glen Coffee, Michael Robinson (4)

Fullback: Moran Norris, Brit Miller, Michael Robinson (2)

Wide Receiver: Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Ted Ginn, Dominique Zeigler, Jason Hill, Kyle Williams (6)

Tight End: Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham (3)

Left Tackle: Joe Staley, Barry Sims (2)

Left Guard: Mike Iupati, Tony Wragge (2)

Center: Eric Heitmann, David Baas (2)

Right Guard: Chilo Rachal, Adam Snyder (2)

Right Tackle: Anthony Davis, Alex Boone (2)

Defense/Special Teams (25)

Left Defensive End: Isaac Sopoaga, Ray McDonald, Khalif Mitchell (3)

Nose Tackle: Aubrayo Franklin, Ricky Jean Francois, Khalif Mitchell (2)

Right Defensive End: Justin Smith, Demetric Evans, Khalif Mitchell (2)

Left Outside Linebacker: Manny Lawson, Ahmad Brooks (2)

Left Inside Linebacker: Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman (2)

Right Inside Linebacker: Takeo Spikes, Matt Wilhelm (2)

Right Outside Linebacker: Parys Haralson, Travis LaBoy (2)

Cornerback: Nate Clements, Shawntae Spencer, Tarell Brown, Will James, Karl Paymah, Reggie Smith (5)

Strong Safety: Michael Lewis, Taylor Mays (2)

Free Safety: Dashon Goldson, Reggie Smith (2)

Long Snapper: Brian Jennings (1)

Punt/Kick Returns: Ted Ginn, Kyle Williams

Total Players: 53

Losing McKillop to another team would devastate me. I love the kid.

Maiocco:

49ers waived/injured LB McKillop yesterday after 1 p.m. (PT) deadline. So, they have to wait until 1 p.m. Friday to see if he's claimed.

The clock is ticking...

I went ahead and replaced my Mock Drafts on page 1 with my Projected Depth Chart. Just my thoughts - nothing official.

My Projected Depth Chart

Offense (28)

Quarterback: Alex Smith, David Carr, Nate Davis (3)

Running Back: Frank Gore, Anthony Dixon, Glen Coffee, Michael Robinson (4)

Fullback: Moran Norris, Brit Miller, Michael Robinson (2)

Wide Receiver: Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Ted Ginn, Dominique Zeigler, Jason Hill, Kyle Williams (6)

Tight End: Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham (3)

Left Tackle: Joe Staley, Barry Sims (2)

Left Guard: Mike Iupati, Tony Wragge (2)

Center: Eric Heitmann, David Baas (2)

Right Guard: Chilo Rachal, Adam Snyder (2)

Right Tackle: Anthony Davis, Alex Boone (2)

Defense/Special Teams (25)

Left Defensive End: Isaac Sopoaga, Ray McDonald, Khalif Mitchell (3)

Nose Tackle: Aubrayo Franklin, Ricky Jean Francois, Khalif Mitchell (2)

Right Defensive End: Justin Smith, Demetric Evans, Khalif Mitchell (2)

Left Outside Linebacker: Manny Lawson, Ahmad Brooks (2)

Left Inside Linebacker: Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman (2)

Right Inside Linebacker: Takeo Spikes, Matt Wilhelm (2)

Right Outside Linebacker: Parys Haralson, Travis LaBoy (2)

Cornerback: Nate Clements, Shawntae Spencer, Tarell Brown, Will James, Karl Paymah, Reggie Smith (5)

Strong Safety: Michael Lewis, Taylor Mays (2)

Free Safety: Dashon Goldson, Reggie Smith (2)

Long Snapper: Brian Jennings (1)

Punt/Kick Returns: Ted Ginn, Kyle Williams

Total Players: 53

Looks good. The only thing that could be different is maybe Curtis Taylor in place of an OL (Wragge, Boone). I do hope Boone makes it on though, would hate the possibility of another team grabbing him off the practice squad.

Yeah, Curtis Taylor was my last person I "trimmed" off the chart. I like his potential, just think that of the players that are practice squad eligible with a chance at a roster spot, he's the most likely to make the squad without getting scooped up. Assuming he's eligible...which I think he is. I don't know all the rules around the PS.

Honestly, Jason Hill could be a surprise drop based off the tones of the beat writers. I just think we'll take 6 WRs like we did last year.

49ers Camp Report: Practice 20

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/12/10/49ers-Camp-Report-Practice-20/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=289397&feedID=5936

Summary: The 49ers practiced in shells in the afternoon after donning full pads in the morning. They wrapped up the nearly-two hours of on-field work with 11-on-11 snaps while Motown tunes blared over the sound system. The 49ers are still working on the basics with center Eric Heitmann out of action. The center-quarterback exchange with backup center David Baas and quarterback Alex Smith continued to be anything but a sure thing.

Play of the day: Quarterback Alex Smith has experienced good and not-so good during training camp, but the one constant has been his connection with tight end Vernon Davis. After also hooking up in 7-on-7 drills, Smith and Davis combined on a long pass down the middle of the field with linebacker Diyral Briggs chasing and Taylor Mays a bit late in getting over.

Injury report: Receiver Michael Crabtree (neck strain) was injured in practice Wednesday. He watched the afternoon practice from the sideline, and appeared to be doing much better. He is listed as day-to-day. . . . Linebacker Parys Haralson was held out of the morning and afternoon practices because of general soreness. . . . Receiver Brandon Jones (hamstring), out since Aug. 7; linebacker Travis LaBoy (concussion), out since Aug. 5; linebacker Ahmad Brooks (lacerated kidney), out since Aug. 7, to be re-evaluated after two weeks; center Eric Heitmann (broken left fibula), out since Aug. 9, expected to miss 6 to 8 weeks.

Taking it easy: Veterans Michael Lewis, Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes and Barry Sims were given the afternoon off.

Eye on reps: Running back Michael Robinson got limited -- next to zero -- snaps for the first 11 days of camp. But today he saw a lot action in place of Glen Coffee and Anthony Dixon. Coffee was not seen at practice. No explanation for his absence was available.

Personnel report: The 49ers signed rookie defensive end Will Tukuafu of Oregon to a two-year contract. The NFL granted the 49ers a roster exemption because of Kentwan Balmer's unexcused absence.

Rookie report: Left guard Mike Iupati appears to be gaining a level of comfort working alongside left tackle Joe Staley. They did a nice job of switching off while handling stunts from the defensive line.

Tying up loose ends: Outside linebacker Martail Burnett, who is on injured reserve after clearing waivers, is scheduled Friday for arthroscopic surgery to remove bone chips from his right knee.

Notable: We haven't mentioned his name in a while, but it should be mentioned franchise player Aubrayo Franklin has yet to sign his one-year, $7 million tender. There is no indication when Franklin plans to report to camp to sign his contract.

Next practice: The 49ers have two practices scheduled for Friday: 8:50 a.m. and a special-teams session at 4 p.m.

Glenn Coffee just retired from football. I sh1t you not.

MaioccoCSN

Coffee announces retirement.

Mattbarrows

Coffee says in a statement he is moving on from football.

Rotoworld

49ers backup RB Glen Coffee shockingly announced his retirement from football Friday.

Coffee was nowhere to be found Friday after missing Thursday afternoon's practice. He released a statement Friday afternoon, indicating that he's "moving on" from football. Coach Mike Singletary runs a notoriously tough camp, but there has to be more to the story here. Coffee was battling rookie Anthony Dixon for the No. 2 job behind Frank Gore. Dixon is now the clear "handcuff" to Gore.

MaioccoCSN

Singletary said Coffee's retirement decision came out of the blue.

Guess M-Rob is our RB#3 this year. Move Dixon up your charts a tad.

Then again, there's this:

Mattbarrows

Michael Robinson now becomes the No. 2 runner. Singletary says rookie Dixon is "a ways away" from being an NFL runner.

Guess I need to update the ole depth chart! Bring back Curtis Taylor at Saftey? Or Diyral Briggs at Outside Linebacker? Leaving Briggs because of Ahmad's and Laboy's injuries.

Room for Westbrook?

I wouldn't fight it, honestly. But we don't need him. And from a fantasy perspective, I'd love to keep him away from Gore. :music_guitarred:

I blame Scot McCloughan for all this crap. Thanks for the terrible drafting.

This is one of the strangest off-seasons I've seen. All of this stuff with the GM, Balmer, and now Coffee is messing with the continuity. I was really hoping we could get through this summer without any drama.

This is one of the strangest off-seasons I've seen. All of this stuff with the GM, Balmer, and now Coffee is messing with the continuity. I was really hoping we could get through this summer without any drama.

Indeed. Not sure what to think of it.

The waste of a picks aside, there's no real reason to fret however. Balmer was already on the roster bubble and there are still Free Agent RBs that, while not as young, are just as capable as Glen Coffee would have been this year. I don't think it changes anything since starters aren't involved.

I think this is an accurate list of available FA RBs - have to consider those that will get cut from other camps as well, but this is a good start:

Ladell Betts / Washington / UFA

Chris Brown / Houston / UFA

Samkon Gado / St. Louis / UFA

Verron Haynes / Atlanta / UFA

Kevin Jones / Chicago / UFA

LaMont Jordan / Denver / UFA

Jamal Lewis / Cleveland / UFA

Xavier Omon / Seattle / UFA

Adrian Peterson / Chicago / UFA

Gary Russell / Oakland / UFA

Brian Westbrook / Philadelphia / UFA

DeShawn Wynn / Green Bay / UFA

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/08/11/2010-free-agent-list-by-position

I think this is an accurate list of available FA RBs - have to consider those that will get cut from other camps as well, but this is a good start:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/08/11/2010-free-agent-list-by-position

Adrian Peterson signed with Seattle.

Gotta say as Hawk fan I'm loving the distractions in the city by the Gay. :music_guitarred:

Gotta say as Hawk fan I'm loving the distractions in the city by the Gay. :music_guitarred:

Really? Cause the way I see it - Seattle hired the guy who drafted both Balmer and Coffee. Have fun. :wave:

Singletary Reacts to Coffee's Decision to Quit

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/13/10/Singletary-Reacts-to-Coffees-Decision-to/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=289908&feedID=5936

"Glen informed us this morning of his intent to no longer play the game of football. I respect that. I appreciate everything he has done for the 49ers. Whatever the issues are, I'm not going to go into all the other stuff. You'll have to talk to Glen about that. I appreciate his honesty. And I appreciate him coming out here and not going through the motions. The thing we're trying to do with the 49ers is we're trying to find 53 men that love the game of football. That's what's going to help us get to where we need to go. So as far as Glen Coffee is concerned, I think Trent Baalke and the personnel staff will look around and see what's available and go from there."

Q: Did this come out of the blue for you?

Singletary: Yes, it did.

Q: What kind of camp was he having?

Singletary: He was having a fine camp. He was having a fine camp.

Q: Did you try to talk him out of it?

Singletary: No. You can't. The one thing I learned a long time ago is if someone wants to leave and you try to bring him back and talk him out of it, chances are you're going to have to talk him out of it again. And that would be disrespectful to the guys out here. We have guys out here that really want to be here and I'm looking high and low to find those 53 that really love being here. And that's what the game's all about.

Q: Did you ever have a talk with Glen in the past about some like this?

Singletary: I did not.

Q: What was your initial reaction.

Singletary: "My initial reaction was, 'Glen, are you sure about this?' He said, 'Yes, sir, I've given it a lot of thought.' I said, 'OK, if that's where you are I respect that, and I appreciate your honesty. I appreciate the character you have to come and let us know so that we can move forward and not put us in a situation where we have to go scramble and do something we wouldn't want to do.'"

Q: Do you understand his reasons?

Singletary: No.

Q: When was that conversation?

Singletary: This morning.

Q: Was it face to face?

Singletary: Yes, sir.

Q: When he did not show up at afternoon practice yesterday, did you send out people looking for him?

Singletary: "We did what any organization would try to do, find out if everything's OK. You try to find him. I think maybe sometime last night we were able to find him."

Q: Could you describe his demeanor?

Singletary: "I just thought . . . I know he felt bad. His demeanor was, 'I really hate to do this. I really hate to lay this on you, coach. I love my teammates and I love what we're doing, but since college my heart hasn't been in it. In fact, I came out early because my heart wasn't in it.' Knowing Glen Coffee, he really felt awful. I'm thinking that he was thinking I'd really be upset with him. And that was not the case.

Q: He didn't leave this area the entire offseason, did you think he was doing all things necessary to become a really good player?

Singletary: Well, yes. That doesn't matter. Right now, all the answers. Did it surprise me? Yes. Did I think he was having a good camp? Yes. He's a guy, that's what you want. He's an incredible young man. But he has made that decision, and that's his decision.

And from Rotoworld:

Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald, who covered Glen Coffee at Alabama, believes Coffee is retiring to pursue the priesthood.

"Having covered 49ers RB Glen Coffee for 3 years, not surprised he retired," tweeted Rapoport on Friday. "He has a higher call. Wouldn't shock me if he headed to ministry."

The 49ers retain Coffee's rights, but it sounds like his retirement is for good. He'll remain under contract through 2012.

McKillop clears waivers, put on IR:

LB Scott McKillop reverts back to 49ers and will spend season on injured reserve.

Really? Cause the way I see it - Seattle hired the guy who drafted both Balmer and Coffee. Have fun. :wave:

Good thing he will be reporting to Schneider and Carroll HTH :music_guitarred:

49ers Camp Report: Practice 21

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/13/10/img-srchttpcsnbayareacomcommonglobal_ima/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=290086&feedID=5936

Summary: Again, this practice was more notable because of those who did not practice -- or even bother to show up, for that matter. The stunning development of the day was backup running back Glen Coffee's absence. We noted in the report for Practice No. 20 that Coffee's absence was not explained. After the 49ers got off the practice field today, the team issued a statement from the one-year veteran that announced his intention to "move on from football." In other words, the 23-year-old Coffee said he is retiring. He told coach Mike Singletary of his decision before practice today. Also, defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer's unexcused absence has reached its third down. His time with the 49ers will be concluded in the near future. On the field, the 49ers combined their scheduled morning practice and their afternoon special-teams work, as well as a "mock game.

Offensive Play of the day: Tony Curtis might be the tight end on the roster who has been talked about the least this offseason, but he has done a very good job. He made one of the best catches of camp when he stretched out to snag a Nate Davis pass by the fingertips about 30 yards downfield against the coverage of rookie safety Chris Maragos.

Defensive Play of the day: This play goes to veteran safety Michael Lewis, who managed to briefly silence tight end Vernon Davis when he broke up Alex Smith's pass just before its arrival into the hands of No. 85. Moments earlier, Davis hammed it up after catching a deep pass. But Lewis -- and the entire defense -- got the last laugh. Lewis' play even inspired defensive coordinator Greg Manusky to begin a well-executed and completely appropriate dance celebration.

Injury report: Receiver Michael Crabtree (neck strain), out since Wednesday, spent most of the early part of practice riding a stationary bike on the sideline. . . . Receiver Brandon Jones (hamstring), out since Aug. 7; linebacker Travis LaBoy (concussion), out since Aug. 5; linebacker Ahmad Brooks (lacerated kidney), out since Aug. 7, to be re-evaluated after two weeks; center Eric Heitmann (broken left fibula), out since Aug. 9, expected to miss 6 to 8 weeks.

Unsigned: Nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin has yet to sign his one-year franchise tender of $7.003 million.

Eye on reps: Running back Michael Robinson, who did not see much practice time on offense in the first 11 days of camp, has gotten extensive work time with Coffee no longer showing up. Because of his reliability in pass protection, Robinson will probably see a lot of action in the exhibition season ahead of rookie Anthony Dixon. . . . Newly signed defensive end Will Tukuafu saw practice time at right defensive end. Tukuafu was signed Thursday to fill the roster the spot created when the NFL granted a roster exemption because of Balmer's unexcused absence. . . . Quarterback Alex Smith, who has been throwing nearly 200 passes daily, got a break with a light workload. Nate Davis and David Carr took most of the practice reps.

Personnel report: Linebacker Scott McKillop cleared waivers and reverts back to the 49ers. McKillop will spend the season on injured reserve after sustaining a season-ending knee injury last week.

Rookie report: Tight end Nate Byham's future with the 49ers will be determined by his blocking ability. Still, he wants to present some kind of threat in the passing game. Byham dropped passes from Nate Davis and David Carr within five plays of each other.

Quotable: "This has been one of the best weeks we've had. and the reason why is we had adversity. When you have to deal with adversity it allows you to focus. . . . I think our guys understand, we're going to have some adversity and when we do, the most important thing is how we deal with it. We respond and we move forward" -- Singletary on the team's chaotic week.

On the sideline: Raja Singh, founder and CEO of Red House Studios in Walnut Creek, was a special guest of the 49ers.

Next practice: The 49ers have an early flight Saturday morning to Indianapolis. They open the exhibition season Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts at 10 a.m. (PT).

Coffee: I've already told Christ it's time to go

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/08/coffee-ive-alre.html

Why step away from such a lucrative profession?

Coffee: "It was a struggle for a long time. Actually when I look back I feel I never should have entered the draft in the first place. Football was no longer my dream. I found Christ in college. It changed my views on everything. But I still was a football player because it was expected of me, it was something I did all my life. I was basically wasting the (49ers') time."

Why do you think you couldn't reconcile football and your faith?

Coffee: "His will, I felt, wasn't football. I felt like I forced football because everyone expected me to play football. He told me a long time ago to walk away from the game."

What will you do now?

Coffee: "It's simple. I'm going back to school." Coffee, who left the University of Alabama after his junior year, said he needed only six hours to get an undergraduate degree in consumer affairs. However, he plans to get a master's as well.

I noted that Alabama associates him with football more than anywhere else. Will it be hard to return to a school that knows you as a tailback?

Coffee: "It's going to be both. There's going to be people that understand and there's going to be people that don't understand and don't care to understand. They're going to feed off that negativity. That's life."

There has been speculation that outside influences, something like a failed drug test, prompted your decision. Can you put that to rest?

Coffee (laughs): "Yesterday I was reading on the Internet and some reporter said I made the decision because I got blown up in a blocking drill. Come on, man! Give me more credit than that! But I've got to expect that when I do something so unexpectedly. No, there were no personal issues. But I really am sorry that I put the 49ers in this situation. I should have handled it a lot differently.

You've been working nonstop since the 2009 season ended to transform your body and become a better running back. How do you do that when your mind's not fully into football?

Coffee: "Because whatever you do, you've got to do it to glorify Christ. You've got to do it 100 percent. Even though my head - it was sort of me holding onto the sport. I tried to get all the way into it."

Did the harshness of Mike Singletary's training camp play a role?

Coffee: "No. It's what we do. We're football players. I'm not walking away because of that. As far as coach Singletary and the 49ers - Singletary, that dude is legit. He's legit on all levels. He's doing what he feels is right. It's definitely not camp (that prompted his decision) and how hard camp was. That's football."

Was it difficult to tell Singletary your decision Friday morning?

Coffee: "It wasn't necessarily that I thought he was going to me mad at me. It was that I didn't take lightly that I was leaving my teammates. Because they thought I was going to war with them."

Any way you will reconsider?

Coffee: "No, man. I've already told Christ it's time to go. I've already rung the bell. That's not going to happen."

Maiocco: 49ers' First-Team Defense

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/15/10/Maiocco-49ers-First-Team-Defense/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=290707&feedID=5936

INDIANAPOLIS -- The 49ers' first-team defense played the first nine snaps of the game before retiring for the remainder of the team's exhibition opener. Projected regular-season starters Patrick Willis and Aubrayo Franklin did not suit up. The team did not want to take any risk with Willis. It's not as if he needs the playing time to hone his skills. Veteran Matt Wilhelm started in his place. The defense did a nice job to limit the Colts to just three points after Indianapolis took over at the 49ers' 16-yard line. The Colts settled for a field goal when dime back Reggie Smith broke up a Peyton Manning pass intended for Anthony Gonzalez in the back of the end zone. After three plays on the next drive, the 49ers brought in the reserves. Those plays consisted of 47 yards in passing yards from Manning. On one of the plays, Clements stripped Gonzalez of the ball but it bounced out of bounds for an 18-yard completion.

FIRST TEAM DEFENSE

Left defensive end: Isaac Sopoaga

Nose tackle: Ricky Jean Francois

Right defensive end: Justin Smith

Sam linebacker: Manny Lawson

Ted linebacker: Takeo Spikes

Mike linebacker: Matt Wilhelm

Will linebacker: Parys Haralson

Left cornerback: Shawntae Spencer

Right cornerback: Nate Clements

Strong safety: Michael Lewis

Free safety: Dashon Goldson

Maiocco: 49ers' First-Team Offense

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/15/10/Maiocco-49ers-First-Team-Offense/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=290718&feedID=5936

INDIANAPOLIS -- This game could not have started any worse for the 49ers' first-team offense. The 49ers' backup running back, Glen Coffee, left the team Thursday afternoon. The 49ers did not want to take any chance with workhorse Frank Gore, so they opened the game with Michael Robinson at halfback. On the first play of the game, Robinson was stuck by safety Antoine Bethea and fumbled. The Colts recovered, and the 49ers' opening drive came to an abrupt end. Rookie right tackle Anthony Davis committed a false start on the second drive, and was beaten around the corner by Colts defensive end Robert Mathis for a quarterback pressure. Quarterback Alex Smith missed a wide-open Vernon Davis for what would've been a certain 47-yard touchdown. His high pass got Ted Ginn clobbered. And he threw an off-target swing pass to Robinson that glanced off his hands. Smith also threw an interception on a deep pass to Delanie Walker. The throw was on target, but the ball appeared to deflect off Walker's hands toward cornerback Jerraud Powers, who returned it 51 yards. Smith finished 3 of 9 for 37 yards and one interception. The 49ers did not score points during the starting unit's four possessions.

FIRST TEAM OFFENSE

Quarterback: Alex Smith

Running back: Michael Robinson

Fullback: Moran Norris

Flanker: Josh Morgan

Left tackle: Joe Staley

Left guard: Mike Iupati

Center: David Baas

Right guard: Chilo Rachal

Right tackle: Anthony Davis

Tight end: Vernon Davis

Split end: Ted Ginn

Maiocco: 49ers' Second-Team Offense

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/15/10/Maiocco-49ers-Second-Team-Offense/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=290733&feedID=5936

INDIANAPOLIS -- The 49ers' first-team offensive line played the entire first half even after the change to the second-unit skill players. Anthony Dixon took over at running back on the 49ers' fifth drive. He had five carries for 33 yards at halftime. He also caught two passes for 20 yards. Michael Robinson, who started the game, entered at the goal line and provided a short touchdown run. After replacing Alex Smith, quarterback David Carr finished out the first half. He completed 4 of 5 for 34 yards. But he was sacked three times for 13 yards. He held the ball too long. It's difficult to say who were responsible for those sacks until I have a chance to check. Jason Hill had a dropped pass on a third down, as it looked as if he started to run before securing the catch.

SECOND TEAM OFFENSE

Quarterback: David Carr

Running back: Anthony Dixon/Michael Robinson

Fullback: Brit Miller

Flanker: Jason Hill

Left tackle: Joe Staley

Left guard: Mike Iupati

Center: David Baas

Right guard: Chilo Rachal

Right tackle: Anthony Davis

Tight end: Nate Byham/Tony Curtis

Split end: Dominique Zeigler

Maiocco: 49ers' Second-Team Defense

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/15/10/Maiocco-49ers-Second-Team-Defense/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=290737&feedID=5936

INDIANAPOLIS -- Reggie Smith made an immediate impact, as he picked off a Curtis Painter pass and raced 91 yards for a touchdown shortly after the 49ers went with the second-team defense. The second team entered on the Colts' second drive of the game -- in the middle of the drive. The Colts ended up scoring a touchdown on Joseph Addai's 7-yard run. But Smith and veteran cornerback Will James came up with interceptions that led to points. James picked off Painter at the end of the first half to set up a Shane Andrus field goal. The 49ers led 20-10 at halftime. Diyral Briggs had a nice first half, as did newly signed Bruce Davis, who had five tackles and a sack. Rookie safety Taylor Mays made a nice one-on-one tackle on third down. He looked a bit unsure of himself in pass coverage while trying to disguise a two-deep zone look.

SECOND TEAM DEFENSE

Left defensive end: Ray McDonald/Derek Walker

Nose tackle: Ricky Jean Francois

Right defensive end: Demetric Evans/Khalif Mitchell

Sam linebacker: Diyral Briggs

Ted linebacker: Keaton Kristick

Mike linebacker: Matt Wilhelm

Will linebacker: Bruce Davis/Brandon Long

Left cornerback: Tarell Brown

Right cornerback: Karl Paymah/Will James

Strong safety: Taylor Mays

Free safety: Reggie Smith

Maiocco: 49ers' Offense in Second Half

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/15/10/Maiocco-49ers-Offense-in-Second-Half/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=290779&feedID=5936

INDIANAPOLIS -- Nate Davis returned home to Indiana, where he was a star at Ball State, and had a strong showing. He completed 5 of 6 passes for 84 yards. Rookie running back Anthony Dixon had a nice opening game. He rushed for 100 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries. He also caught three passes for 22 yards. Rookie linemen Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati both saw limited action with the second-team offense early in the second half. David Carr completed 5 of 6 passes in the third quarter, including an 8-yard touchdown pass to Tony Curtis. Dixon continued to show nice make-'em-miss ability with 28 yards rushing on six carries. Wideouts Kevin Jurovich and Bakari Grant were the third-team wideouts. Both caught passes on Nate Davis' second drive, though Jurovich did not come close to getting both feet in-bounds on his reception. Wisely, Davis hustled the 49ers to the line of scrimmage and ran the next play before the Colts could challenge. The rookie receivers all got playing time. Newcomer Bobby Guillory certainly did not help his chances when he muffed a punt.

SECOND OFFENSE

Quarterback: David Carr/Nate Davis

Running back: Anthony Dixon/Jehuu Caulcrick

Fullback: Brit Miller

Flanker: Jason Hill/Kevin Jurovich/Bobby Guillory

Left tackle: Alex Boone

Left guard: Brian de la Puente/Mike Iupati

Center: Tony Wragge/Cody Wallace

Right guard: Adam Snyder/Tony Wragge

Right tackle: Anthony Davis/Adam Snyder

Tight end: Nate Byham/Tony Curtis

Split end: Dominique Zeigler/Bakari Grant

Maiocco: 49ers' Defense in Second Half

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/15/10/Maiocco-49ers-Defense-in-Second-Half/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=290784&feedID=5936

INDIANAPOLIS -- The 49ers' second-half defense allowed just 84 total yards to the Colts in the team's 37-17 victory in the exhibition opener for both teams. Inside linebacker Mike Balogun had an impressive second half. He had an interception and six tackles. Newly signed defensive lineman Will Tukuafu did not wait long to do something positive. He recorded a sack on the very first play in which he was on the field. He replaced Kentwan Balmer on the roster. The 49ers were granted a roster exemption. Balmer left the team last week, and is not expected to be on the team much longer.

SECOND HALF DEFENSE

Left defensive end: Khalif Mitchell/Will Tukuafu

Nose tackle: Ricky Jean Francois/Khalif Mitchell

Right defensive end: Derek Walker

Sam linebacker: Diyral Briggs/Bruce Davis

Ted linebacker: Mike Balogun

Mike linebacker: Keaton Kristick

Will linebacker: Brandon Long

Left cornerback: Patrick Stoudamire

Right cornerback: Tramaine Brock/Will James

Strong safety: Taylor Mays/Chris Maragos

Free safety: Curtis Taylor

I went back to the DVR to review Alex's throws as everyone seems to think he had a bad day. Aside from missing Davis on the Skinny post for a TD, he actually looked good. The INT was a tiped pass that was catchable by Walker, and there were a few other drops. After reviewing the tape I am not worried.

I went back to the DVR to review Alex's throws as everyone seems to think he had a bad day. Aside from missing Davis on the Skinny post for a TD, he actually looked good. The INT was a tiped pass that was catchable by Walker, and there were a few other drops. After reviewing the tape I am not worried.

He did alright...got happy feet on one play and it just made me cringe. That missed connection with Vernon was a terrible ball and should have gone for 45 yard TD (or however far away they were). Hopefully he doesn't make that a trend. Definitely liked what I saw in Dixon.

He did alright...got happy feet on one play and it just made me cringe. That missed connection with Vernon was a terrible ball and should have gone for 45 yard TD (or however far away they were). Hopefully he doesn't make that a trend. Definitely liked what I saw in Dixon.

Dixon did look good. Showed power and quickness, much quicker than Robinson.