Sign in to follow this  
fugoondo

Chargers QB Whitehurst traded to the Seahawks

As a Charger fan....im stoked!! Finally we did something to improve the team!

San Diego moves up 20 spots in the 2nd! Nice! AND gets a 3rd for 2011??

Seahawks gave up ALOT to get our #3...thank you Seattle

not only did seahags give up some good picks they gave him a 2 year 10 million contract! guy hasnt thrown one regular season pass to my knowledge.... :rolleyes:

College stats:

Stats Overview Passing

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2004 177 349 2067 50.7 5.92 56 7 17 25 97.35

2005 229 340 2483 67.4 7.30 51 11 10 20 133.49

I don't know what he's looked like in college or in nfl preseason.

Seahawks Get:

Charlie Whitehurst

2010 2nd Round Pick

2010 3rd Round Pick

Chargers Get:

2010 2nd Round Pick

2011 3rd Round Pick

And Whitehurst signed a 2 year, 10 Million dollar deal.

not only did seahags give up some good picks they gave him a 2 year 10 million contract! guy hasnt thrown one regular season pass to my knowledge.... :overhead:

Seems like someone is reaching a lot in Seattle. Too much to give up for a guy that is likely only backup material.

:lock: We got took out back and beatin.

:lock:

Congrats SD fans.

His preseason stats are not impressive either! Looks like he throws allot of INT's to me. And that's not even a real game yet.

And Even IF (big if) this guy some how turned out to be a solid to good QB, this trade will still be bad on so many levels.

He'll be 30 by the time he gets settled in. What kind of future is that.

And our 2nd round pick was like a 1st round pick to where we need SO much.

Oh my - does it ever get easier being a Hawks fan. :lock: :overhead:

Seahawks Get:

Charlie Whitehurst

2010 2nd Round Pick

2010 3rd Round Pick

Chargers Get:

2010 2nd Round Pick

2011 3rd Round Pick

And Whitehurst signed a 2 year, 10 Million dollar deal.

False

According to Roto, the Hawks did not get a 3rd this year.

It was swap 2nds this year and SD gets a 2011 3rd. Lmbo.

False

Nobody knows the exact details of the deal yet princess. I've been reading that we are getting their 3rd this season, which would make this a pretty safe reach at a premium position. Lets let the rest of the info come out before we break out our jump-to-conclusions mat.

False

ESPN has reported it two different ways so far, Clayton's initial report of the trade which is what everybody is using, and the version that ESPN ran later on it's ticker where SD sent Seattle 3rd rounder. ESPN is the only source being used for this story.

Need official details.

Nobody knows the exact details of the deal yet princess. I've been reading that we are getting their 3rd this season, which would make this a pretty safe reach at a premium position. Lets let the rest of the info come out before we break out our jump-to-conclusions mat.

You read an old report then Princess. You got fleeced. Deal with it.

You read an old report then Princess. You got fleeced. Deal with it.

Actually, since the season hasn't started and we haven't actually seen the guy play yet I think saying we got fleeced is a wee bit premature, dont ya think princess? I can understand why you would think you are an expert on being fleeced being a Bears fan and all. Giving up two first round picks for guys like Jay Cutler and Rick Mirer, thats getting fleeced.

As I've stated before, if he can play, its a good deal. If he sucks, Seattle cuts him and moves on (he's under a 2 year focking contract) not having set the franchise back years wasting a top ten pick.

Seattle potentially solves their QB problem without losing any picks in this year's loaded draft and the sky is falling? Really?!?! :thumbsdown:

Actually, since the season hasn't started and we haven't actually seen the guy play yet I think saying we got fleeced is a wee bit premature, dont ya think princess? I can understand why you would think you are an expert on being fleeced being a Bears fan and all. Giving up two first round picks for guys like Jay Cutler and Rick Mirer, thats getting fleeced.

As I've stated before, if he can play, its a good deal. If he sucks, Seattle cuts him and moves on (he's under a 2 year focking contract) not having set the franchise back years wasting a top ten pick.

Seattle potentially solves their QB problem without losing any picks in this year's loaded draft and the sky is falling? Really?!?! :thumbsdown:

I don't think a Bears fan would honor Curtis Enis, but good try. I also think you're undervaluing trading down 20 spots in round two and potentially losing out on a 3rd round pick. Those things matter. If the guys doesn't pan out, then it is a problem. Princess.

I don't think a Bears fan would honor Curtis Enis, but good try. I also think you're undervaluing trading down 20 spots in round two and potentially losing out on a 3rd round pick. Those things matter. If the guys doesn't pan out, then it is a problem. Princess.

Wow, breaking news there!! Same case can be made for every trade in the history of the NFL princess.

And I think you are undervaluing the fact that Seattle potentially solved their QB problem without giving up any picks in this loaded draft, allowing them to rebuild their line on both sides of the ball. Wouldn't it be sweet if Chicago had some picks in this draft to do the same?

Wow, breaking news there!! Same case can be made for every trade in the history of the NFL princess.

And I think you are undervaluing the fact that Seattle potentially solved their QB problem without giving up any picks in this loaded draft, allowing them to rebuild their line on both sides of the ball. Wouldn't it be sweet if Chicago had some picks in this draft to do the same?

A. I'm not a Bears fan, I just told you that.

B. You said like 3 posts above that if he doesn't pan out, then they just "move on" insinuating that it's not a big deal. I was telling you that you are wrong, and it is a problem if you wasted position in round 2 as well as a valuable 3rd round pick. "Moving on" is something you do if you paid next to nothing for someone. "Getting fleeced" is what happens when you drastically overpay for a guy no-one else was bidding for. You might be as dumb as FlaHawker. Princess.

A. I'm not a Bears fan, I just told you that.

B. You said like 3 posts above that if he doesn't pan out, then they just "move on" insinuating that it's not a big deal. I was telling you that you are wrong, and it is a problem if you wasted position in round 2 as well as a valuable 3rd round pick. "Moving on" is something you do if you paid next to nothing for someone. "Getting fleeced" is what happens when you drastically overpay for a guy no-one else was bidding for. You might be as dumb as FlaHawker. Princess.

Do you follow the NFL? Arizona was after him too. It has only been in the news for weeks now:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Ca...?urn=nfl,228718

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...ract-offer.html

http://blog.azcardinals.com/tag/charlie-whitehurst/

If he doesn't pan out did it hurt? Of course it did! Will it hurt as bad as investing 1st round picks in Clausen or Kolb and them flopping? Fock no! If he sucks we got fleeced, if he becomes a quality starter he was a bargain at his position. Simple. As. That.

All this princess talk is giving me a little chub. :ninja:

so you're Enis is growing? 4.4? :lol:

Seattle potentially solves their QB problem without losing any picks in this year's loaded draft and the sky is falling? Really?!?! :thumbsup:

If Whitey is a failure - How does this not also set our franchise back many years?

We gave up a ton of good picks including a super high 2nd to where you can usually find Studs. A stud left Tackle could have came from this pick or our Future stud RB. (Our 2nd round picks have been better then our first's in the past years)

Plus this move will probably keep us from drafting a QB now and maybe next year too. And with our high 1st round picks we have, "this" is the time to think about your franchise future "young" QB.

Now we have potentially just lost the chance to draft a young Stud at QB by "hoping" this guy pans out.

So I think we could be set back many years if this doesn't work out just as if Clausen were to be a bust would. Who's to say Berry doesn't turn out to be a bust also or whoever we draft at #6 now. I don't want a 30 old QB and hope that's my future that hasn't played 1 down in a regular season game.

Clausen might have been available at 14 by the way. Either he's highely rated or he's not? The 6 and 14 give would have given us either option to decide. Or just wait for another time.

p90x schedule is meant to be a combination of a variety of types of workouts and is essentially meant to shock your body into shape over 90 days. There is crazy stuff like plyometrics or jump training, weight training, cardio, and even a hardcore version of yoga. The videos have you working out 6 days a week and do require a few special (albeit low cost) pieces of equipment to really do it.

Has ANY team EVER paid this much for a 3rd string QB??

Seattle fans would rather be optimistic than face the reality that they could of got him for less.

Do you follow the NFL? Arizona was after him too. It has only been in the news for weeks now:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Ca...?urn=nfl,228718

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...ract-offer.html

http://blog.azcardinals.com/tag/charlie-whitehurst/

If he doesn't pan out did it hurt? Of course it did! Will it hurt as bad as investing 1st round picks in Clausen or Kolb and them flopping? Fock no! If he sucks we got fleeced, if he becomes a quality starter he was a bargain at his position. Simple. As. That.

If the Seahawks were that desperate for QB competition, why didn't they just keep that 2nd round pick, and draft McCoy, Pike, LeFevre, or Tebow with that 2nd rounder or a third rounder. I know none of those guys are top talents, but let's be serious...neither is Charlie Whitehurst. If Whitehurst does end up being an NFL starter (which is doubtful), than it's a great trade for both teams.

But he won't be starting this year unless Hasselbeck goes down...why not draft a rookie with MUCH more potential, given the fact that he'd be guaranteed to have a year or two to learn the system and develop in the NFL. Whitehurst has had plenty of years, and it would appear he's shown NOTHING worthy of a starting QB.

Sorry, but as of right now, this looks like a stupid move by the Seahawks.

We'll see what happens when he takes the field. Nobody on here can claim to know what the guy can do.

I'm completely underwhelmed by the QB's in the draft. There's no shame in being the 3rd QB on the Chargers, Volek is better then a lot of starters in this league. As far as being 28 when the season starts....well I hope he's a good enough QB that I will even care.

In the long run, trading down in the 2nd only hurt Denver. :thumbsdown:

No one here has any idea whether the guy can play or not; but we all have a decent sense of trade value, and on that alone, we seahawk fans got fleeced. Someone else pointed out on another bored: when was the last time a RFA got traded for MORE than his tender? He was tendered as a 3rd rd pick. We didn't have a 3rd rounder because we gave it up last year trading up to get the incomparable Deion Butler (if you're saying who? Precisely.). So rather than, oh, trade to get a 3rd, we come up with some misguided scheme whereby we give up a 3rd next year, and trade down 20 spots in the 2nd round this year, giving up one of the best value options in the entire draft (good player + not saddled by high 1st rd salary requirement).

The thing that kills me is that we also traded away Darryl Tapp, who is only 25 and probably our best DE on the roster (Eagles fans are going to be laughing about this trade in 2 years). :lol: . And we only netted a 4th rounder plus a retread 28-yr-old with injury problems in return. How about, oh, I dunno, getting Tapp for a 3rd, using the 3rd for Whitehurst, and saying thanks but no thanks on the Injury Report special? Then at least we're not also giving up an extra pick next year plus losing out on value this year.

I have zero confidence that this front office knows how to navigate the draft. They'd better at least be really good talent evaluators because only that will make up for all these moves that have punched new holes in the boat instead of fixing the pre-existing ones. This sucks. This must be what it's like to be a Browns fan - not just crappy, but crappy with low expectations too.

The cost may have been a little high, but w/o a third round pick and competition from the Cardinals, they had to pay a bit of premium. Perhaps they had to beat the Cardinals offer. That aside, I like the move. I don't like either Bradford or Clausen. I like the trade a whole lot better than the possible alternative of drafting one of those two high in the first, plus the opportunity cost of who else they could have drafted w/the sixth pick (and whatever it might have cost to move up to get one of them). Whitehurst has the tools, his decision-making and consisency were the knocks coming out of college. He's had four years learning from a great offensive mind. Matt Hasselbeck was a 6th round pick who had 29 career attempts over a couple of years when Holms acquired him for a swap of first-round picks and a third rounder. This could turn out to be a very shrewd move.

No one here has any idea whether the guy can play or not; but we all have a decent sense of trade value, and on that alone, we seahawk fans got fleeced. Someone else pointed out on another bored: when was the last time a RFA got traded for MORE than his tender? He was tendered as a 3rd rd pick. We didn't have a 3rd rounder because we gave it up last year trading up to get the incomparable Deion Butler (if you're saying who? Precisely.). So rather than, oh, trade to get a 3rd, we come up with some misguided scheme whereby we give up a 3rd next year, and trade down 20 spots in the 2nd round this year, giving up one of the best value options in the entire draft (good player + not saddled by high 1st rd salary requirement).

Wes Welker was tendered at 2nd round level. The Pats came sniffing and they worked out a deal for a 2nd and a 7th. I would imagine that it has happened since then since there are reasons that you pay more than a tender including:

- Prevents a match, which can allow the team trading for him to get him slightly cheaper

- If the team who wants the player does not have a pick in the round that the tender is made

- If the team who wants the player wants to give up a future pick rather than one that season

With all of that said, I agree that the Seahawks got fleeced.

The thing that kills me is that we also traded away Darryl Tapp, who is only 25 and probably our best DE on the roster (Eagles fans are going to be laughing about this trade in 2 years). :thumbsup: . And we only netted a 4th rounder plus a retread 28-yr-old with injury problems in return. How about, oh, I dunno, getting Tapp for a 3rd, using the 3rd for Whitehurst, and saying thanks but no thanks on the Injury Report special? Then at least we're not also giving up an extra pick next year plus losing out on value this year.

I have zero confidence that this front office knows how to navigate the draft. They'd better at least be really good talent evaluators because only that will make up for all these moves that have punched new holes in the boat instead of fixing the pre-existing ones. This sucks. This must be what it's like to be a Browns fan - not just crappy, but crappy with low expectations too.

You said it very well..... I agree 100% with everything you said. That D. Tapp senerio is exactly what SHOULD have happened.

I guess they were worried Arizona was going to beat them out. But O'well. Move on then.

So the guy was a 3rd round pick. Who hasen't shown a single thing yet in the NFL. And the Hawks just paid way more than a 3rd round pick for him. How is this a good deal? If you wanted to speculate on a guy of that caliber, you could have waited and tried a QB with your high 4th this year or even your 2nd that you just downgraded 20 spots. It's not like this guy is a former 1st round talent/blue chipper. This is exactly something Matt Millen would have done.

This is exactly something Matt Millen would have done.

If we draft a WR at #6, I will repeatedly stab myself in the stomach.

If we draft a WR at #6, I will repeatedly stab myself in the stomach.

we need a good young WR but I agree using 1.06 would be awful, which would force me to start flossing with a cheese grater. Hoping that Gerald McCoy or Russell Okung falls to #6 but seems unlikely.

we need a good young WR but I agree using 1.06 would be awful, which would force me to start flossing with a cheese grater. Hoping that Gerald McCoy or Russell Okung falls to #6 but seems unlikely.

Over at Seahakaddicts I was reading about the possibility of trading Spencer, Sims and an undisclosed draft pick for Marshall. It's all fan speculation but still interesting. Denver badly needs interior line help, especially at center and it seems pretty crystal that neither guy is in Seattle's future plans.

I'd feel better about any QB throwing to Marshall and Housh.

Over at Seahakaddicts I was reading about the possibility of trading Spencer, Sims and an undisclosed draft pick for Marshall. It's all fan speculation but still interesting. Denver badly needs interior line help, especially at center and it seems pretty crystal that neither guy is in Seattle's future plans.

I'd feel better about any QB throwing to Marshall and Housh.

That's intriguing, but it likely means a starting OL of Locklear-??-Unger-??-Willis (I'm assuming Walt is finally toast). Two question marks at guards, and almost zero depth, unless you're counting on Frye at LT, Wrotto at one of the guard spots and Vallos at C. Plus Locklear has an injury history as well. Now supposedly Gibbs is the master at taking unheralded OL guys and turning them into stars, but that creates a very leaky OL that needs to give the QB time to throw it to Marshall. I could see Marshall coming over, not get the ball because of weak pass protection, and sulking again like the little biotch that he is, then demanding another trade in 2011.

I'd prefer to dump Spencer myself, but keep Sims. I could see him playing LG in a very serviceable way for another 6-8 years. Are we arguing Sims is not part of the plan because they said as much, or because they tendered him only as a 4th rd pick?

That's intriguing, but it likely means a starting OL of Locklear-??-Unger-??-Willis (I'm assuming Walt is finally toast). Two question marks at guards, and almost zero depth, unless you're counting on Frye at LT, Wrotto at one of the guard spots and Vallos at C. Plus Locklear has an injury history as well. Now supposedly Gibbs is the master at taking unheralded OL guys and turning them into stars, but that creates a very leaky OL that needs to give the QB time to throw it to Marshall. I could see Marshall coming over, not get the ball because of weak pass protection, and sulking again like the little biotch that he is, then demanding another trade in 2011.

I'd prefer to dump Spencer myself, but keep Sims. I could see him playing LG in a very serviceable way for another 6-8 years. Are we arguing Sims is not part of the plan because they said as much, or because they tendered him only as a 4th rd pick?

They've told Sims to stay away from off-season workout programs, a tell-tale sign he's going to be dealt. I like the idea of sending Sims to Cleveland for a 4th (giving us 3 4th round picks) then dealing one of those 4th's and Spencer for Marshall. Despite reports on the Jets and Bucs, we're still the only team at the table, so we might not even have to give up that much.

Our opening day o-line would look like LT-drafted player (Bulaga etc.) LG-drafted player (Iupata or a later round pick), C-Unger, RG-Wrotto, RT-Locklear or Willis.

Adding Spencer and/or Sims doesnt improve that group by any drastic measure, and we have a LOT more room to grow. There will be growing pains, but Spencer and Sims have still been making plenty of mistakes themselves this far into their development. I like Sims, but I trust Gibb's judgement. Plus, we would have one of the better starting WR tandems in the league.