Sign in to follow this  
swirvenirvin

Calipari the scumbag

The problem with Calipari is that he doesn't take any ownership for things that happened on HIS watch. Instead he leaves right before the sanctions and vacated Final Fours. Why is that? I'm not saying he is completely at fault in either instance, but he is the head basketball coach, therefore his players problems are his problems. These programs lost the biggest wins they ever had, and yet Calipari goes on like it never happened.

You forgot to mention in the case of Derrick Rose, that even if there were no questions about his SAT scores, that he still would of been ruled ineligible because his brother was ALLOWED to travel with the team to road games for free. This is a direct NCAA violation. I guess Calipari knew nothing about this?

Don't forget that after recruiting Dajuan Wagner, Wagner's dad became the Coordinator of Basketball Operations at Memphis. I guess this was just a coincidence?

There was also another story about how some coach of Tyreke Evans became an assistant at Memphis after Evans committed to Kentucky.

I'd say there is quite a bit of "evidence" against Calipari to just say this is all speculation. I'm not saying this doesn't happen quite a bit in the NCAA, but it's hard to believe Calipari is innocent in ALL of this. Maybe he wasn't ALWAYS directly involved in these situations, but I have to believe he had his hand in some of them, or at least knew what was happening. The fact that he leaves the program before any NCAA sanctions, just doesn't look very good.

In this situation, I do not believe it is a huge story because we have no idea what Calipari said to the kid. Maybe the kid already was having 2nd thoughts and Calipari just said that Kentucky is still an option. But since it involved Calipari, it's going to be more highly scrutinized than if it was another coach.

The difference between the Myron Piggie/Maggette instance was that Maggette completely mislead Duke and signed a waiver saying he had not accepted any money from anyone while in high school. Then he later came out and admitted he did after bolting Duke for the NBA. This was money he accepted in high school to attend prep school and travel to basketball tournaments. Despite this, before the case ever was heard, Coach K came out and said that if the report was true, then he would take responsibility. He said that if it was true, Duke should face sanctions. He also came out and said he didn't agree with the NCAA's rule about players receiving money for educational expenses. But Coach K took ownership. When has John Calipari EVER done that? Not to mention this was the only instance of questions raised about Coach K, yet their are multiple questions about Calipari. Big difference I'd say...No?

I don't necessarily disagree with any of your post.

I have no doubt that Cal operates in some shady gray areas. I have no doubt that occasional rules are bent and that less-than-ideal practices are used.

I also have no doubt that every other major college athletics coach does the same things. Cal is just better at it, and a better salesman.

To the Rose situation: His brother traveled, which is allowed, he simply has to pay the expenses. The athletic department never billed him. In fact, the entire investigation was apparently launched over the women's golf and tennis teams if I remember correctly. Yet the indictment falls on the largest program, basketball.

As far as the Maggette case, the official NCAA ruling was that Duke did not know, nor should it have known, that he took the money. He signed paperwork saying his amateur status was not in question, just as all athletes do. The thing is, athletes sign the same papers with regards to qualifying. The NCAA clearinghouse gave Rose the greenlight twice, yet Memphis was held responsible for his possible (not even proven) fraudulent test scoes. Despite the fact that this occured before he committed anywhere, they were considered under "strict liability." It's BS.

The problem is, the NCAA doesn't penalize champions. It's why you'll never hear a peep about the UCLA run. It's why the 08 Kansas team that beat Memphis gets by with Darrell Arthur situaton. It's why some of my old Kentucky teams probably weren't punished for things Rupp probably did wrong. If Memphis had beaten Kansas in 2008, there would have been no sanctions, because the NCAA will never vacate a major sports title. It's why you'll never hear any major finality to the Reggie Bush/USC case despite the fact that the entire athletic department was corrupt (OJ Mayo included).

That's where the true blame lies. The NCAA is never consistent and does not act in the best interest of the student athletes or the universities they serve. In fact, the term student athlete is a complete joke anyway. Calipari uses the one and done rule to his advantage. In fact, he uses everything to his advantage. People have a problem with the RULE and take it out on Cal for exploiting it. Is he supposed to not recruit the best players? As much money as these coaches make, and the schools make, and the TV partners make, etc. it's a business hidden under the guise of amateurism. The only ones not getting paid are the players.

I don't care if they dont go to class. I really dont. I just think it's time for the NCAA and colleges to stop pretending that they do.

Whats the story on the facebook thing? I heard someone created an account acting as him, and told some recruit that he couldnt mention anything that KY was doing for him etc. The kid responded no problem coach or something like that?

Any truth to that?

Can you KY backers answer this?

Can you KY backers answer this?

It centers on a kid named Marquis Teague. Louisville thought he was a lock for them because Pitino recruited him for a little over two years, and hired his former coach and family friend Shabaka Lands.

Suddenly, we hire Cal, and Teague postpones his committment last summer. Louisville is still considered the major favorite, but little by little we make up ground. Then his brother (Jeff Teague, played at Wake, lotto pick by the Hawks last year) gets in his ear and points out the difference in PGs put in the pros by the two coaches. Then mom gets on board and wants him at UK too. Dad played for Pitino back in the day, so he wants the kid to wear red.

In the end, he becomes a Cat, and Louisville fans are up in arms about the 'dirty ways' Cal got him. So a Louisville fan creates a "Calipari" facebook account and posts on Teagues wall for him not to tell people anything about his recruitment, understand? Teague replies "Yeah." and somehow that yeah was confirmation that Cal is dirty.

It centers on a kid named Marquis Teague. Louisville thought he was a lock for them because Pitino recruited him for a little over two years, and hired his former coach and family friend Shabaka Lands.

Suddenly, we hire Cal, and Teague postpones his committment last summer. Louisville is still considered the major favorite, but little by little we make up ground. Then his brother (Jeff Teague, played at Wake, lotto pick by the Hawks last year) gets in his ear and points out the difference in PGs put in the pros by the two coaches. Then mom gets on board and wants him at UK too. Dad played for Pitino back in the day, so he wants the kid to wear red.

In the end, he becomes a Cat, and Louisville fans are up in arms about the 'dirty ways' Cal got him. So a Louisville fan creates a "Calipari" facebook account and posts on Teagues wall for him not to tell people anything about his recruitment, understand? Teague replies "Yeah." and somehow that yeah was confirmation that Cal is dirty.

thanks heard it on local sports radio, couldn't find anything on it

The problem is, the NCAA doesn't penalize champions. It's why you'll never hear a peep about the UCLA run. It's why the 08 Kansas team that beat Memphis gets by with Darrell Arthur situaton. It's why some of my old Kentucky teams probably weren't punished for things Rupp probably did wrong. If Memphis had beaten Kansas in 2008, there would have been no sanctions, because the NCAA will never vacate a major sports title. It's why you'll never hear any major finality to the Reggie Bush/USC case despite the fact that the entire athletic department was corrupt (OJ Mayo included).

If Michigan/Weber wouldn't have choked in 93 they would have lost it

Kentucky coach John Calipari is intrigued with the Chicago Bulls’ coaching job and would be willing to listen to a pitch from management, NBA and NCAA sources told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday.

Sources say the combination of roster talent, tradition and market make Chicago one of the few NBA jobs that could pry Calipari out of Kentucky. The Bulls have been hesitant to pay the $4 million-$5 million annual packages it would take to lure high-profile coaches like Calipari.

Bulls general manager Gar Forman fired coach Vinny Del Negro on Monday night.

Calipari could be an intriguing candidate on several levels for the Bulls. He coached Bulls star point guard, Derrick Rose, at the University of Memphis, and his strong ties with the powerful agency, CAA, could give the organization leverage in free agency this summer.

Calipari is close with Cleveland’s LeBron James, and shares representation with two of the Bulls’ top free-agent targets – Miami’s Dwyane Wade and Toronto’s Chris Bosh.

Sources say Calipari “hasn’t connected” with Kentucky’s athletic administration in his first year on the job, and that could contribute to his willingness to rekindle a long-standing goal of realizing NBA success.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ahu2...paribulls050410

Above article is pure speculation to grab attention.

The Bulls have stated they won't make a high-profile and high money hire. They want an NBA assistant coach or a former coach who is currently without a head coaching position. If they were to go after Cal, they would have to out-bid UK, and that's not going to happen given their stances above. If Derrick Rose wasn't the PG, this rumor wouldn't exist.

You'll hear the Sacramento Kings when their job is open in the near future.

You'll hear rumors about Cal going back to the Nets if/when they land John Wall and a bunch of speculation about LeBron going to the Nets and he and Jay-Z moving them to Brooklyn, yada yada yada.

It's a bunch of talk, mostly. Successful Mid-Major coaches get rumored to take jobs at the major programs. Coaches at the major programs get rumored for NBA jobs. It's not like Coach K or Coach Cal or whoever is gonna leave UK or Duke for another job. Only way that happens is if the coach is an alum of another major (top 6) program like Roy at Carolina.

Anyway, people know K isn't leaving Duke, so Cal becomes the next high-profile NCAA coach to have his name thrown about. It's very Pete Carroll-esque. Although Pete did eventually move on to the Seahawks, he did so with a LOT of guarantees made to him. I don't see the Bulls giving a guy with meh NBA success that kind of power.

As ego-driven as Cal is, to leave the college game would abandon his best ability, and that which makes him elite: recruiting. He does have the NBA persona, and can handle and mesh egos and talent, but he is NOT one of the 30 best X's and O's guys in the world. I think he knows that, and I think deep down NBA franchises know that. But it doesn't stop writers from getting hits by writing about a hot name with connections to a teams best player.

And for the record, Cal told Katz he wasn't interested. I know every coach says that. Just passing along that he has indeed denied interest. And Mitch Barnhart came out with a press release saying he was happy with Cal and blah blah all that. If anything, this results in a pay-raise for Cal. Which is whatever. The booster money for UK hoops is a bottomless pit more or less. He deserves whatever they'll pay him.

You forgot to mention in the case of Derrick Rose, that even if there were no questions about his SAT scores, that he still would of been ruled ineligible because his brother was ALLOWED to travel with the team to road games for free. This is a direct NCAA violation. I guess Calipari knew nothing about this?

Don't forget that after recruiting Dajuan Wagner, Wagner's dad became the Coordinator of Basketball Operations at Memphis. I guess this was just a coincidence?

I'd say there is quite a bit of "evidence" against Calipari to just say this is all speculation.

Your "guesses" and a lot of words doesn't = evidence.

Multiple sources close to Calipari have repeatedly told CBSSports.com that Calipari's goal is to someday coach LeBron James, and one source has even said Calipari would "absolutely leave Kentucky, 100 percent, tomorrow" if that opportunity presented itself. Clearly, there's no way to know at this moment where James will play next season or whether he'll need a new coach because he'll become a free agent this summer. But nobody close to Calipari who has spoken with CBSSports.com has ever disputed or downplayed Calipari's interest in returning to the NBA to coach James, whom Calipari has often referred to as his "friend."

The problem with that statement is that there's no contract that can ensure Calipari retires at UK.

He doesn't operate like that.

Truth is, Calipari will be at UK for the same amount of time he was at Memphis, and it has nothing to do with years. He stayed at Memphis until he was offered a better job, and that's also how long he'll stay at Kentucky, until the day he's offered a better job. The good news for UK fans, of course, is that there aren't many better jobs than Kentucky, and Calipari would never leave for another college job. But, as I wrote back in January, coaching LeBron is absolutely a better job, and coaching Rose, Joakim Noah and some top-shelf free agent might be a better job, too.

Rink

:thumbsup: :dunno: :lol: :lol:

I don't necessarily disagree with any of your post.

I have no doubt that Cal operates in some shady gray areas. I have no doubt that occasional rules are bent and that less-than-ideal practices are used.

I also have no doubt that every other major college athletics coach does the same things. Cal is just better at it, and a better salesman.

To the Rose situation: His brother traveled, which is allowed, he simply has to pay the expenses. The athletic department never billed him. In fact, the entire investigation was apparently launched over the women's golf and tennis teams if I remember correctly. Yet the indictment falls on the largest program, basketball.

As far as the Maggette case, the official NCAA ruling was that Duke did not know, nor should it have known, that he took the money. He signed paperwork saying his amateur status was not in question, just as all athletes do. The thing is, athletes sign the same papers with regards to qualifying. The NCAA clearinghouse gave Rose the greenlight twice, yet Memphis was held responsible for his possible (not even proven) fraudulent test scoes. Despite the fact that this occured before he committed anywhere, they were considered under "strict liability." It's BS.

That's where the true blame lies. The NCAA is never consistent and does not act in the best interest of the student athletes or the universities they serve. In fact, the term student athlete is a complete joke anyway. Calipari uses the one and done rule to his advantage. In fact, he uses everything to his advantage. People have a problem with the RULE and take it out on Cal for exploiting it. Is he supposed to not recruit the best players? As much money as these coaches make, and the schools make, and the TV partners make, etc. it's a business hidden under the guise of amateurism. The only ones not getting paid are the players.

I don't care if they dont go to class. I really dont. I just think it's time for the NCAA and colleges to stop pretending that they do.

Oh no doubt Calipari is a GREAT recruiter, I just feel like he deals in the shades of grey and probably crosses the boundaries more than anyone else. I do not think he is good for college basketball.

That being said, Kentucky is a good for college basketball. I'm a huge Duke fan and do not like Kentucky, but when Kentucky is a top team, it is good for college basketball. The games at Vandy, Tennessee, etc. were that much better this year when Kentucky is a top 5 team. I thought when they hired Calipari it was a bit of a desperation hire, but I had no doubt he would bring Kentucky back to national prominance. I just wonder if he is now committed to staying there, or will bolt for the NBA if the right job presents itself.

I do not like the one and done rule but I do not think it matters that much. In my opinion, its very tough to win a national title recruiting multiple one and done players every season. Look at this past years final four with Duke, Butler, Michigan State, and West Virginia...not a one and done player to be found. Look at the 5 National Champs since the "one and done" rule was put in to place in 2006. Florida won twice led by Noah, Horford, Brewer. Kansas won led by Rush, Chalmers, Aldrich. UNC won led by Hansbrough, Lawson, Ellington. Duke won led by Singler, Scheyer, Smith. One and done players will give you talent and make you a contender, I just don't think it's the best way to build a consistent winner. I'd be suprised if Kentucky is a top 10 team again this season, although Knight, Cantor, and some others are a pretty good class again. If they can steal Jones from Washington, maybe they will be right there again.

Agree with everything you said about the NCAA and "student" athletes. I could see the "one and done" rule being done away with in the coming years though, especially with the CBA being up in the NBA.

I just feel like he deals in the shades of grey and probably crosses the boundaries more than anyone else.

Thanks for sharing your feelings. :thumbsup:

Calipari to Arkansas?  WTF?

John Calipari is finalizing a five-year deal to become the next men's basketball coach at Arkansas, sources told ESPN on Sunday night, a blockbuster move that will shake up the SEC and college basketball landscape.

Calipari's contract is expected to have an overall base salary of slightly less than the $8.5 million he's making at Kentucky, sources told ESPN. However, the deal is expected to be incentive-laden with the ability to pass that number.

The contract is expected to be completed in the next 24 hours.

The key relationship to help the deal come together was Calipari's long-standing ties to John H. Tyson, a billionaire who is a longtime Arkansas benefactor.

Calipari is set to replace Eric Musselman, who left for USC last week. After his departure, Arkansas athletic director Hunter Yurachek pursued Ole Miss' Chris Beard and Kansas State's Jerome Tang, although both coaches returned to their respective schools. Arkansas is believed to have offered Beard in the neighborhood of $5 million per year, sources said.

Calipari has been under more pressure at Kentucky than at any other time during his 15-season tenure, as the Wildcats haven't been out of the first weekend of the NCAA tournament since 2019 and suffered upset losses to 15-seed Saint Peter's and 14-seed Oakland in recent years.

Following the first-round defeat to Oakland, there was enough speculation about Calipari's job status that athletic director Mitch Barnhart released a statement confirming Calipari would return as the Wildcats' head coach next season.

Kentucky would have owed Calipari more than $33 million if it were to fire him, but the school isn't owed any money if another program hires him.

One of the biggest names in college sports, Calipari has been at Kentucky since 2009. He led the Wildcats to the national title in 2012 and went to four Final Fours in his first six seasons in Lexington. Kentucky then went to the Elite Eight in 2017 and 2019 but has won just one NCAA tournament game since that last run to the regional final.

Off the court, Calipari established the Wildcats as a recruiting powerhouse, routinely landing top-ranked recruiting classes.

Calipari is 410-123 with the Wildcats.

Before taking over for Billy Gillispie at Kentucky in 2009, Calipari was the head coach at Memphis for nine seasons. He led the Tigers to two Elite Eights and reached the national championship game in 2008, where they lost to Kansas in overtime.

Calipari also led UMass to the Final Four in 1996 before leaving for the NBA and coaching the New Jersey Nets for three seasons.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39897887/sources-john-calipari-finalizing-5-year-deal-arkansas

The winner in all of this is the University of Kentucky.

14 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

@Cdub100 the Grizz rooned him

Go Grizz?

On 5/3/2010 at 9:40 PM, FeelingMN said:

Huh?

So this kid calls Cal after he makes his decision. Not the other way around. Nobody knows what was said, and somehow this makes Cal a (bigger?) scumbag?

I'm not seeing it...not in this instance. The article is nothing but sour grapes.

I am not clear what happened in this instance.   But Cal is absofuckinglutely a scumbag

Seems like he was unwilling to change the one and done philosophy that does not work in the NIL and portal eras.  He had tons of talent but underperformed and some poor coaching in big spots