Sign in to follow this  
brtdud7

Why are some QBs low on rankings but their receivers are high?

For example, Alex Smith, who's TE is top 3 and Michael Crabtree, many like as a future player, and even for this season, but people think so lowly of Alex? Or Eli Manning, where people think highly of Hakeem Nicks and Steve Smith but not so much about Eli's fantasy value?

Roddy White and Tony Gonzaez have been great for two years in a row but Matt Ryan is just slightly above average. QB fantasy points and their WR and TEs fantasy points don't always correlate.

Based on what Eli did last year he's probably being overlooked, you're right about that.

It's honestly like comparing apples to oranges.

Matt Ryan completed 58% of his passes last season for 2916 yds and had 22 TDs and 14 INTS.

Eleven other QB's had more TD passes than Ryan. Seven of whom also had fewer interceptions thrown. With the exception of Jay Cutler, the other ten QB's also had at least 1000 or more yds than Ryan.

Now...Roddy White had 1153 yds and was tied for 2nd in the league for reception TD's with 11. Granted some came from Chris Redman, but Roddy White accounted for 32% of the the teams passing yards. Tony Gonzalez accounted for 24% of the passing yards with 867 yards. Two players, accounting for over half the passing yards and 17 of the 26 passing touchdowns.

In Ryan's case...along with Smith's...they have a balanced offense that targets one or two offensive players in the passing game but heavily relies on the running game to do most of the damage. They throw the ball when they have to, but aren't elite passers and do not have very good TD/INT ratio's. The targets themselves get plenty of looks and opportunities, but those QB's should not be counted on week in and week out to carry your fantasy team.

Roddy White and Tony Gonzaez have been great for two years in a row but Matt Ryan is just slightly above average. QB fantasy points and their WR and TEs fantasy points don't always correlate.

True, but it is a fun game to play. For me it started my first year in FF, where I grabbed Culpepper as my backup since he was throwing to those Moss and Carter guys. Also that was a keeper league, so that worked out well. A few years ago I did it with Warner (Fitz and Boldin).

If you have a solid starter, you only view your backup as a bye-week fill-in anyway, and if your starter goes down, the guy you picked is probably as good as any retread on the WW (or until you can trade for something better).

There isn't such a guy every year of course, and I don't currently see one who has the weapons like I mentioned above. If you wanted to try, Alex Smith has some interesting upside. With Eli, I think we pretty much know what we have.

Calvin Johnson is a stud, but Stafford is only in his second year and had a lot to prove. He isn't going to be ranked with the following QB's: Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Schuab, Brady, Rivers, or Romo. Likewise, not of the Saint wr's aren't ranked very high because Brees spreads the ball around so much. Colston might crack the top 10 in some rankings, but usually 8-12 range.

Many reasons for this.

And, it can happen both ways. Where a QB is highly ranked, but none of their receivers.

If QB is low, WR high.

1. injury potential for qb

2. likely to be replaced during season

3. prognosticators hedge. Someone is bound to get most looks, but whom?

4. heir apparent this year? (special HOF edition of #3)

5. changes in other positions. OL, RB, etc.

6. limited targets in the passing game. Team only throws to 3 people and only throwing td's.

7. passing game is overhyped.

If WR is low and QB is high

1. WR By committee. Where in WR, TE, and RB are balancely involved in the passing game (I think I made up a word, yeah).

2. Do not know who will be the target

3. QB is overhyped (someone has to be)

Time to be productive. You finish this list.

But best suggestion, is re examine these teams/players when you notice something like this. If a source ranks a WR high, but at QB low. Is it really a good buy to draft the wr?