Sign in to follow this  
salparadise

Arian Foster Running Well With First Team

I only hope that I can get him drafted before people figure out that he is going to start this year. He is a pet project, and Kubiak loves him. I routinely get him in the last round or two of mocks. Hopefuuly, he won't be showcased during the preseason.

Lets keep this quiet.

I only hope that I can get him drafted before people figure out that he is going to start this year. He is a pet project, and Kubiak loves him. I routinely get him in the last round or two of mocks. Hopefuuly, he won't be showcased during the preseason.

Lets keep this quiet.

I have a feeling this won't stay quiet for long. From everything I am hearing it looks like it is his job to lose. The odd thing is a lot of people have Ben Tate going higher.

Making great cuts and running strong. Looks like he will make a great second or third running back.

You saw him? :rolleyes:

Our AFC scount is at the Texan's training camp.

But hasn't talked to anybody in the organization or the Houston media. Foster is running with the first team because of the injuries to the rook. The Texans want the Rook to be their primary and goal line back with Slaton as the change of pace/3rd down back. Foster will back up these two guys. Unless the Rook fails and Slaton doesn't recover from surgery there is no way Foster is a great RB2.

But hasn't talked to anybody in the organization or the Houston media. Foster is running with the first team because of the injuries to the rook. The Texans want the Rook to be their primary and goal line back with Slaton as the change of pace/3rd down back. Foster will back up these two guys. Unless the Rook fails and Slaton doesn't recover from surgery there is no way Foster is a great RB2.

You say that very definitively; almost as a matter of fact. That goes above and beyond even the OP's claims. I wouldnt be so sure. There is a lot to be settled in this backfield. I'd put lines up like this right now, but it is likely to change from week to week. *=favorite

Which of the 3 will lead in 20 carry games?

Foster* 2.5:1, Tate 3:1, Slaton 4:1

Which of the 3 will lead in total carries?

Foster 3:1, Tate* 2.5:1, Slaton 4:1

Which of the 3 will lead in rushing TDs?

Foster* 2:1, Tate 3:1, Slaton 7:1

Which of the 3 will lead in receptions?

Foster 7:1, Tate 7:1, Slaton* 1.5:1

You say that very definitively; almost as a matter of fact. That goes above and beyond even the OP's claims. I wouldnt be so sure. There is a lot to be settled in this backfield. I'd put lines up like this right now, but it is likely to change from week to week. *=favorite

Which of the 3 will lead in 20 carry games?

Foster* 2.5:1, Tate 3:1, Slaton 4:1

Which of the 3 will lead in total carries?

Foster 3:1, Tate* 2.5:1, Slaton 4:1

Which of the 3 will lead in rushing TDs?

Foster* 2:1, Tate 3:1, Slaton 7:1

Which of the 3 will lead in receptions?

Foster 7:1, Tate 7:1, Slaton* 1.5:1

The reason I say this definitively is because that is what Charlie Pallilo, Lance Zerlein, John McClain and Marc Vandermeer are saying the coaching staff and front office want to happen. I agree that it may not work out that way but the OP is reading waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much into Foster running with the first team.

Why do you think Foster will beat out two guys that are more talented? Is this just your gut feel.

For those of you not in Houston the last paragraph sums up the current feeling about Arian Foster. Link

The reason I say this definitively is because that is what Charlie Pallilo, Lance Zerlein, John McClain and Marc Vandermeer are saying the coaching staff and front office want to happen. I agree that it may not work out that way but the OP is reading waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much into Foster running with the first team.

Why do you think Foster will beat out two guys that are more talented? Is this just your gut feel.

For those of you not in Houston the last paragraph sums up the current feeling about Arian Foster. Link

I don't know who Charlie Pallilo, Lance Zerlein, John McClain and Marc Vandermeer are, but I do know who Gary Kubiak is:

Meanwhile, Houston coach Gary Kubiak thinks Foster, an undrafted rookie in 2009, may turn out to be a major discovery. The 23-year-old Foster spent the first 10 games of 2009 on Houston's practice squad before emerging as the team's top backfield threat in December.

Kubiak said the 23-year-old Foster is mature beyond his years and will be tough to unseat for the No. 1 spot on the depth chart.

I don't know who Charlie Pallilo, Lance Zerlein, John McClain and Marc Vandermeer are, but I do know who Gary Kubiak is:

Kubiak is all about coach speak remember he was trained by Shanny. He also like using the media to motivate players. The four guys I mentioned cover the team in depth and have personal relationships with coaches and front office personnel. If Kubiak really felt that way about Arian why the hell would he trade up in the 2nd round to draft a RB?

Kubiak is all about coach speak remember he was trained by Shanny. He also like using the media to motivate players. The four guys I mentioned cover the team in depth and have personal relationships with coaches and front office personnel. If Kubiak really felt that way about Arian why the hell would he trade up in the 2nd round to draft a RB?

Because he lacks the ability to time travel 4 months in the future to ask himself how Arian Foster looks in camp? :dunno:

Look, I had dinner with Tate last night after practice at Goode Barbecue off 610 and he said that he will likely be backing-up Foster to start the season.

Ha, seriously, that source you cite is more than dated. And yes, I like Johnny Mac. I give him credit for me grabbing Portis as a rookie in my auction dynasty league. But let's take a look at what he and GK are saying now:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38530686/ns/sports-player_news/

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7131073.html

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7136502.html

There is nothing there that would lead anyone to believe that it is a fete compli (sp?) that Tate wins the job. If anything, it looks like Foster's job and that you could clean up betting on him at those odds.

GK was very hesitant about giving Slaton the ball early in his rookie year and finally gave in after Green went 10x over his deductible with hospital bills. GK would make all sorts of excuses about this or that re giving Slaton the ft job. He's already in that mode with Tate. Meanwhile, after berating Slaton in presser after presser last season (I watched every one), I doubt he will ever hand the reigns over to Slaton.

The edge will go to the back that gets the first chance of owning that job. It looks like that will be Foster. If he goes 20 for 115 and a score with no fumbles in week 1 the others may never get a chance to get to 20 carries in a game. Of course if Foster falters, then the others could work their way in to a more significant role. Moreover, Foster...not Tate...has been cited in recent weeks as the "bulkiest" of the group and perhaps the most likely to get goalline work.

Because he lacks the ability to time travel 4 months in the future to ask himself how Arian Foster looks in camp? :dunno:

Go ahead and draft Arian as your RB2 as the OP suggests but don't say you weren't warned whe you have the third back in an RBBC.

Go ahead and draft Arian as your RB2 as the OP suggests but don't say you weren't warned whe you have the third back in an RBBC.

Don't get pissy with me, you're the one acting like a know-it-all with your columns from 3 months ago. OP didn't suggest drafting Arian as a RB2, and I never said I would be drafting him. You have the reading comprehension of a 5th grader.

Don't get pissy with me, you're the one acting like a know-it-all with your columns from 3 months ago. OP didn't suggest drafting Arian as a RB2, and I never said I would be drafting him. You have the reading comprehension of a 5th grader.

So wise one what does "great 2nd RB" mean?

......yawn.......

OP said "great second or third". a silly statement as it very broad reaching...but you citing it has nothing to do with Turducken's arguments. Let's get back to the real debate.

Look, I had dinner with Tate last night after practice at Goode Barbecue off 610 and he said that he will likely be backing-up Foster to start the season.

Ha, seriously, that source you cite is more than dated. And yes, I like Johnny Mac. I give him credit for me grabbing Portis as a rookie in my auction dynasty league. But let's take a look at what he and GK are saying now:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38530686/ns/sports-player_news/

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7131073.html

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7136502.html

There is nothing there that would lead anyone to believe that it is a fete compli (sp?) that Tate wins the job. If anything, it looks like Foster's job and that you could clean up betting on him at those odds.

GK was very hesitant about giving Slaton the ball early in his rookie year and finally gave in after Green went 10x over his deductible with hospital bills. GK would make all sorts of excuses about this or that re giving Slaton the ft job. He's already in that mode with Tate. Meanwhile, after berating Slaton in presser after presser last season (I watched every one), I doubt he will ever hand the reigns over to Slaton.

The edge will go to the back that gets the first chance of owning that job. It looks like that will be Foster. If he goes 20 for 115 and a score with no fumbles in week 1 the others may never get a chance to get to 20 carries in a game. Of course if Foster falters, then the others could work their way in to a more significant role. Moreover, Foster...not Tate...has been cited in recent weeks as the "bulkiest" of the group and perhaps the most likely to get goalline work.

Well, I really had beers Friday with LZ. He is pretty convinced the Texans are looking at a full blown RBBC but they really want Tate to win the job because of what they spent to get him. Once he fully recovers from the injuries he had in OTAs he is going to be given every opportunity to win the job. I like your odds about which back will lead in each category but that is also why I say there is no way Foster will be a great RB2 unless someone gets injuried or traded.

......yawn.......

OP said "great second or third". a silly statement as it very broad reaching...but you citing it has nothing to do with Turducken's arguments. Let's get back to the real debate.

The whole debate is Foster as a RB2 based on running with the first team the first week of practice.

Jesus, looks like I was being generous about your reading comprehension.

Full quote: "Looks like he will make a great second or third running back."

He might be a RB2/RB3, but you don't have to draft him as such for him to qualify.

The whole debate is Foster as a RB2 based on running with the first team the first week of practice.

He's been running with the first team all offseason, ended last season with a bang, rookie is playing catchup after missing time, Slaton is being tried out on kick returns... :dunno:

Well, I really had beers Friday with LZ. He is pretty convinced the Texans are looking at a full blown RBBC but they really want Tate to win the job because of what they spent to get him. Once he fully recovers from the injuries he had in OTAs he is going to be given every opportunity to win the job. I like your odds about which back will lead in each category but that is also why I say there is no way Foster will be a great RB2 unless someone gets injuried or traded.

Well we could debate the credibility of LZ and Houston sports radio in general (let's just say I got on my knees and thanked god when the yes network starting covering mike and the mad dog way back when)....but....

I'd rank Foster around 30-35 right now in yardage leagues. So not even a number three (take that OP!) in 10 team leagues, but a very low #2 in my 16 team league.

Btw, they were drafting high at RB before Slaton's injury. After the injury, it was a slam dunk. If you had any worry that Slaton may not be 100% back in April, then it was clear they needed a HB.

Again, I give Foster the edge right now because he will get the early opportunity. Who would you bet on if there was a baseball game in extra innings and it was sudden death, not a home-team-gets-last-ups situation? You'd probably bet on the visitor unless the home team was waay better. Tate is not waaay better than Foster. But we'll see. I'm looking fwd to the preseason schedule. Our opinions will likely clear up then.

Well we could debate the credibility of LZ and Houston sports radio in general (let's just say I got on my knees and thanked god when the yes network starting covering mike and the mad dog way back when)....but....

I'd rank Foster around 30-35 right now in yardage leagues. So not even a number three (take that OP!) in 10 team leagues, but a very low #2 in my 16 team league.

Btw, they were drafting high at RB before Slaton's injury. After the injury, it was a slam dunk. If you had any worry that Slaton may not be 100% back in April, then it was clear they needed a HB.

Again, I give Foster the edge right now because he will get the early opportunity. Who would you bet on if the a baseball game were in extra innings and it was sudden death, not a home-team-gets-last-ups situation? You'd probably bet on the visitor unless the home team was waay better. Tate is not waaay better than Foster. But we'll see. I'm looking fwd to the preseason schedule. Our opinions will likely clear up then.

We really could debate that for a while because I think M&MD are way over blown.

I mostly agree with you. I disagree on the talent level. Foster was an undrafted free agent. Tate was a 2nd round draft pick. That doesn't mean Tate will be better in the NFL but from the beginning Tate was viewed as much more talented.

This thing has RBBC written all over it. From a football stand point I think it is a great think the way Foster has immerged. From a fantasy perspective it sucks as it reduces the value of all three.

What is boils down to for me is this:

The coaching staff doesn't think Slaton is feature back material. They did it out of necessity in '08, but he failed miserably as a full time guy in '09. They've brought in numerous vets and undrafted players to compete for the job the last few years. He got injured at the end of the season. Moats had a good game, but then he faltered. So they gave Foster a chance and he impressed.

So the off season arrives and there are rumors that Slaton may not be available for the season, or at the very least the beginning of the season due to his neck injury and the uncertainty of it. Moats signed with the Vikings, and suddenly you are looking at a backfield of the very green Foster and newly signed Chris Henry. They needed to draft a RB to compete. Tate was pretty ordinary in college, but looked fantastic at the combine. (IMO is always dangerous to draft these workout warriors!)

Foster, coming off his strong performance was given the opportunity to get first team reps with Slaton out. Tate came in running with the third team to start OTAs and injured a hamstring, keeping him out of action (he has a history of leg problems in college as well). Due to this, Foster, who has busted his ass to win and keep this job all offseason, was given all the forst team reps and hasn't looked back.

Now into camp, Foster is still showing promise, with Slaton and Tate working their way back into action as second and third string. What we know is this: None of these guys have proven to be able to handle a full workload as of yet. We can also see that Foster is better suited to handle a full workload due to his combination of size and skills--he has been compared to Eddie George by a few analysts--than the other two guys.

One poster mentioned that Tate is clearly more talented, but I beg to differ. Tate had one solid college season and parlayed that with a good combine performance into a high draft pick. But we have seen this kind of thing many times, and not every high pick ends up as a starter. A perfect example of this is Brandon Jackson being taken in the second round and undrafted Ryan Grant coming in and winning the job. The team will let the better players play--the guy who earns the job--regardless of where someone is taken.

I think this is Foster's job to lose. At this point I think he gets about 15 touches a game, with Tate sprinkled in for relief and Slaton on 3rd downs--limiting the value of all 3 guys. I honestly see Foster as the more complete back and believe he starts for the whole season. When the preseason games begin, it will clear up some, but I don't think we will know until the first real game.

I think if you want to take a chance on one of these guys, take Foster late, and let someone else take the over-hyped Tate in the middle rounds...

The coaching staff doesn't think Slaton is feature back material. They did it out of necessity in '08, but he failed miserably as a full time guy in '09. They've brought in numerous vets and undrafted players to compete for the job the last few years. He got injured at the end of the season. Moats had a good game, but then he faltered. So they gave Foster a chance and he impressed.

So the off season arrives and there are rumors that Slaton may not be available for the season, or at the very least the beginning of the season due to his neck injury and the uncertainty of it. Moats signed with the Vikings, and suddenly you are looking at a backfield of the very green Foster and newly signed Chris Henry. They needed to draft a RB to compete. Tate was pretty ordinary in college, but looked fantastic at the combine. (IMO is always dangerous to draft these workout warriors!)

Foster, coming off his strong performance was given the opportunity to get first team reps with Slaton out. Tate came in running with the third team to start OTAs and injured a hamstring, keeping him out of action (he has a history of leg problems in college as well). Due to this, Foster, who has busted his ass to win and keep this job all offseason, was given all the forst team reps and hasn't looked back.

Now into camp, Foster is still showing promise, with Slaton and Tate working their way back into action as second and third string. What we know is this: None of these guys have proven to be able to handle a full workload as of yet. We can also see that Foster is better suited to handle a full workload due to his combination of size and skills--he has been compared to Eddie George by a few analysts--than the other two guys.

One poster mentioned that Tate is clearly more talented, but I beg to differ. Tate had one solid college season and parlayed that with a good combine performance into a high draft pick. But we have seen this kind of thing many times, and not every high pick ends up as a starter. A perfect example of this is Brandon Jackson being taken in the second round and undrafted Ryan Grant coming in and winning the job. The team will let the better players play--the guy who earns the job--regardless of where someone is taken.

I think this is Foster's job to lose. At this point I think he gets about 15 touches a game, with Tate sprinkled in for relief and Slaton on 3rd downs--limiting the value of all 3 guys. I honestly see Foster as the more complete back and believe he starts for the whole season. When the preseason games begin, it will clear up some, but I don't think we will know until the first real game.

I think if you want to take a chance on one of these guys, take Foster late, and let someone else take the over-hyped Tate in the middle rounds...

:thumbsup: Good post.

Aug. 2 - 9:02 pm et

Texans coach Gary Kubiak acknowledged that rookie Ben Tate "has got a long way to go" with the season opener six weeks away.

Kubiak conceded that Tate "has got a lot of ability," but is "behind the team because of the stuff he missed in the offseason." At this point, Tate is clearly Houston's third-string tailback with Arian Foster owning a sizable lead in the battle. We're moving Foster up our running back rankings, and Tate down.

Source: houstontexans.com

from rotoworld.com

Absolutely correct. Take a late flyer and pray. However, there is no RB on this roster that you draft as an RB2 or RB3.

this has quickly turned into a tard slap fight...I'll put it the only way it needs to be put...

regardless of how it finishes at the end of the season, anybody...and I mean ANYBODY...that's drafting ANY Texans RB to be more than a 4th back is an idiot.

Matt Berry ESPN: Arian Foster, RB, Texans: Calling my shot in early July. He's the Texans running back with the most fantasy points at the end of the year.

this has quickly turned into a tard slap fight...I'll put it the only way it needs to be put...

regardless of how it finishes at the end of the season, anybody...and I mean ANYBODY...that's drafting ANY Texans RB to be more than a 4th back is an idiot.

I wouldnt call them an idiot; I'd call them a risk-taker. In my opinion, the secret to winning a league is drafting for a combination of expected points AND highest variance. That risk component is crucial. Some owners penalize players who are risky; these are the teams that finish .500. Then there are the risk-takers. There are the ones who will have more radical records. And thus it is usually the pool where Championships emerge from.

Matt Berry ESPN: Arian Foster, RB, Texans: Calling my shot in early July. He's the Texans running back with the most fantasy points at the end of the year.

Wow WHAT a reach. :overhead:

He'll be a great RB4 draftwise with RB3/borderline RB2 potential on my squad. I hope everyone chalks up Tate in the 8th!

Wow WHAT a reach. :overhead:

He'll be a great RB4 draftwise with RB3/borderline RB2 potential on my squad. I hope everyone chalks up Tate in the 8th!

Maurice Jones-Drew has selected Arian Foster as his fantasy sleeper for 2010.

"I really like Arian Foster," said MJD. "I think he’s a good running back, especially in their system, the Denver system. And I watched him in college too. It’s his style -- in that zone system, a bigger back (6-foot-1, 229 pounds) who can get a cut and get his shoulders square. He’s going to be a force to be reckoned with. I really like him and I’ve got some sources, too."

"I really like Arian Foster," said MJD. "I think he’s a good running back, especially in their system, the Denver system. And I watched him in college too. It’s his style -- in that zone system, a bigger back (6-foot-1, 229 pounds) who can get a cut and get his shoulders square. He’s going to be a force to be reckoned with. I really like him and I’ve got some sources, too."

he is sure to worth u love

Pshaw! Like MJD knows ###### about RBs.