Sign in to follow this  
ppierce

Lets discuss Matt Cassel

How bad is this guy? I'm in a pinch and need a starter. Can Cassel even be trusted vs the terribla Houston pass defense? Especially over guys like Freeman and Kolb?

I'm starting to think it's the lack of quality receivers or the O-Line just doesn't give him enough time. I'm in a jam this week with the possibilities of Rodgers being out. It's either Cassell or Campbell.

Matt Cassel has been atrocious. Only 650 yards and 4 TD passes in 4 games, three of them came all in one game, two of those were on an incredible catch by Moeaki and a pass to McCluster in the flat that he took to the house. That game looked like it could have been a sort of a turning point for him, but then they came out of the bye against a banged-up, suspect Indy defense and he did absolutely diddle. The same defense that David Freaking Garrard threw for two TDs against. It's certainly possible that Cassel could have a decent game, but Kolb is the safer bet for sure. I would roll Kolb's tougher matchup (Atlanta) in a heartbeat.

How bad is this guy? I'm in a pinch and need a starter. Can Cassel even be trusted vs the terribla Houston pass defense? Especially over guys like Freeman and Kolb?

I couldn't believe it when the KC handed Matt Cassell a huge contract before he even played a down for the Chiefs, especially since Tyler Thigpen played pretty well for them. Most people suspected his success with the Patriots was more a product of the system and the talent around him than anything to do with Cassell and that's been more or less confirmed. He sucks. The fact that the receiving corps also sucks doesn't help. I had to laugh at predictions of a "bounce back" year for Dwayne Bowe. He's a sloth with tennis rackets for hands.

Moving forward, he may be worth slightly more than Kolb but only because Vick should be healthy soon. On a per-game basis Kolb is going to outscore Cassell on most (maybe all) weeks. I'd probably rather have Freeman, too. He's undoubtedly more talented and gives you something in the running game.

hth

Hmm, interesting article from Football Outsiders about Matt Cassel and the upcoming slate of bad passing defenses. (The Cheifs play the 5 worst pass Ds in the league in the next 5 weeks according to FO's rankings) The take-home is that they assumed that the Chiefs passing game is slightly worse that it has been so far, and that the Texan's and Bill's defenses aren't quite so bad as we have seen, and they pulled up 168 games where that level of pass offense and pass defense have played each other. The QBs in those games averaged 16.5 fantasy points. So Cassel, not a terrible start over the next few weeks if you're in a pinch.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2010/chiefs-and-strength-schedule

Hmm, interesting article from Football Outsiders about Matt Cassel and the upcoming slate of bad passing defenses. (The Cheifs play the 5 worst pass Ds in the league in the next 5 weeks according to FO's rankings) The take-home is that they assumed that the Chiefs passing game is slightly worse that it has been so far, and that the Texan's and Bill's defenses aren't quite so bad as we have seen, and they pulled up 168 games where that level of pass offense and pass defense have played each other. The QBs in those games averaged 16.5 fantasy points. So Cassel, not a terrible start over the next few weeks if you're in a pinch.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2010/chiefs-and-strength-schedule

I noticed that, too. Someone in my league just dropped Dwayne Bowe. Since I could use an upgrade from Lance Moore at WR4, I took a glance at the Chiefs schedule. Just ridiculous. I haven't watched a lot of Chief games, but Bowe is a talented guy, right? Can it be feasible that he's just going through a bad stretch? He looked great his rookie year. If he had bad hands, wouldn't they have shown up then?

Perhaps the best description of Bowe that I've seen yet... :D

And by far the most accurate!

Bowe sux bag, that guy can't even catch a cold, Matt threw 2 balls in his hands, one was a sure TD and that dufus couldn't catch it..

What a loser.

And by far the most accurate!

Bowe sux bag, that guy can't even catch a cold, Matt threw 2 balls in his hands, one was a sure TD and that dufus couldn't catch it..

What a loser.

I'm going to remember this thread Sunday at 4pm. My prediction is Bowe breaks out in this game. 6-105-1

I'm going to remember this thread Sunday at 4pm. My prediction is Bowe breaks out in this game. 6-105-1

I'm sure Matt would LOVE that, because that would mean he would actually CATCH the ball!

What a thought!

BTW, he hasn't done jack sht all year, so you saying that after he had at least 1 ball for a TD dropped isnt really going out on a limb, he's OVERDUE for a decent game don't ya think?

I'm sure Matt would LOVE that, because that would mean he would actually CATCH the ball!

What a thought!

BTW, he hasn't done jack sht all year, so you saying that after he had at least 1 ball for a TD dropped isnt really going out on a limb,

Since he hasnt done sht all year, I would think he did go out on a limb by predicting 6-105-1. I am with him, I think bowe and cassel both have a big game this week

Since he hasnt done sht all year, I would think he did go out on a limb by predicting 6-105-1. I am with him, I think bowe and cassel both have a big game this week

I dont see it that way really, they are OVERDUE, especially Bowe.......

Sooner or later he's gonna have a good game, everyone knows that, and since it hasn't happened YET(Not Matts fault)it's bound to happen sooner or later.

I hope he does well for guys that are using him, I wanna see Matt do well so I can trade hissuckyness for a bag of fresh donuts........folks won't even give me day-old at this point.

I thought about starting Bowe; then I remembered that insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result the next time.

I could pick up Cassel because he is available, but I do feel Kolb is safer. However, here is my quandary - I have the ATL defense. So, if Kolb does well, my defense is not. They might be offsetting each other.

For that reason, I might....might....pick up either SHill or Cassel and go with one of them. Just not sure right now. Any thoughts are welcomed.

No way he can be trusted, bud...until he proves us wrong - I don't see him doing that in the near future. I dropped his ass even after he had that 20 point game. He is not that good and will give you a lot of less than 10 point games.

I'd start Kolb for sure.

My breakdown of the Inside The Matchup column...

It was only a matter of time, and the Chiefs suffered their first loss in Week 5 at the hands of the defending AFC Champion Indianapolis Colts. The Chiefs’ offensive ineptitude was as predictable as the loss. With just 650 passing yards in four games, quarterback Matt Cassel is on pace for a mere 2,600 yards passing—a total that would even put him significantly below his pathetic numbers in 2009.

But while the Matt Cassel experiment has to be considered a monumental failure by the front office in Kansas City, there is actually a chance that he and the Chiefs will have a productive day passing against the Texans in Week 6. Having allowed multiple touchdowns in five of their first six games and allowing more than 275 yards passing in every game, the Houston pass defense has been monumentally bad. They are currently ranked 31st against opposing quarterbacks. The Texans have to expect the Chiefs to run the ball a lot this week, which could lead to some big plays in the passing game if Cassel and his receivers (particularly Dwayne Bowe) can start clicking. Cassel could have one of his biggest fantasy days of the 2010 season—though even that doesn’t necessarily make him a must-start.

Matt Cassel – 215 yards passing / 1 TD / 1 INT

Matt has been PATHETIC at best, but he's had "Help" being pathetic with RIDICULOUS drops by his #1 WR Bowe.

I'm not sure he'll ever be a great QB, but he did pretty well in a system that had decent players around him, those #'s can be easily found.

If you are deciding to roll with Cassel, there are quite a few negatives, as have been pointed out in previous posts...But, there are a few things you could hope for if you are in a pinch and have to play him this week...First, against the Texans, there is a decent chance that they get down and are forced to throw the ball--this could lead to some decent second half yardage and a garbage td or two. Secondly, if Cassel gets one or two short passes in space to either Charles or McCluster, a three yard pass could turn into a long play and score if things break right. And, if they get in the red zone, he could utilize Mokaei(sp) and pick up a short one...May not be enough to offset the lack of a real outside receiving threat or KCs desire to play ball control offense, but, as a one week matchup play, he may be a sneaky (code for probably bad but might be good) play...

Sorry guys, I was off by 3 yards and 1 TD for Bowe. I'll try to do better next time.

Sorry guys, I was off by 3 yards and 1 TD for Bowe. I'll try to do better next time.

Good Call