Sign in to follow this  
whatjusthappened

Late Trade Deadline

Very competitive and long-running league of friends.

Late trade deadline - and one team is clearly out of the playoff picture. The format is based primarily on head-to-head matchups -- so boasting rights are still clearly in play.

Team A (out of the playoffs) trades McCoy & Brees to Team B for Gore and Reggie Bush.

Team B already has Vick - and has no plans to start Brees -- but will undoubtedly attempt to trade him.

Team A was desperate for a RB. (Lots of bad luck this year at the RB position - like alot of teams!)

Granted, most would probably rather have McCoy & Brees. Should the league do something about this lopsided trade?

(Not looking to start a 'should I veto this trade' topic -- just curious what anyone thinks.

Thanks.

Long time league and it's not in your bylaws that teams eliminated from the playoffs can't make trades or waiver moves?

Next year.

if both teams were in the playoff hunt it's still the same trade. It should go through but there is no good reason to have such a late trade deadline. Change that next year.

We have a late trade deadline (this past Wed). It comes down to whether you trust the other people in your league. There is a written decree that any trade involving a team out of contention that late will receive a higher level of scrutiny. It has worked so far.

Long time league and it's not in your bylaws that teams eliminated from the playoffs can't make trades or waiver moves?

Next year.

So in your league if a team is eliminated from playoffs you lock them from making any waiver claims??? :shocking:

I hope you mean once they are eliminated in the playoffs and season is over you lock them. :dunno:

We have a late trade deadline (this past Wed). It comes down to whether you trust the other people in your league. There is a written decree that any trade involving a team out of contention that late will receive a higher level of scrutiny. It has worked so far.

Well, it is important to have clearly defined rules. <_<

Well, it is important to have clearly defined rules. <_<

I don't understand the snideness. If a 2-9 team trades a starting RB for a guy who will be their backup, I won't allow it. I don't care if plans to trade the QB. If there's not a 3 team deal in place, it won't go through.

Without being snide, just wtf does "There is a written decree that any trade involving a team out of contention that late will receive a higher level of scrutiny" even mean?

This would be an approved trade in any league I've ever been in. Please take your titties out of the wringer....they're dry.

Without being snide, just wtf does "There is a written decree that any trade involving a team out of contention that late will receive a higher level of scrutiny" even mean?

This would be an approved trade in any league I've ever been in. Please take your titties out of the wringer....they're dry.

Written means it's written down. A decree is a an order or statement having the effect of law. I will explain the last part. I'm the commish and there is no league vote. For teams in contention, I don't veto any trade other than for collusion (doesn't matter if it's lopsided). If there is a trade between a team in contention and not mathematically in contention, I will look at the merits of the trade for both teams and if there is a doubt that it's actually helpful to the team in contention it will be vetoed. An example would be a 2-9 team who has Vick and no RB depth trading LeSean McCoy for Kyle Orton. I won't approve it. Is that clear?

Written means it's written down. A decree is a an order or statement having the effect of law. I will explain the last part. I'm the commish and there is no league vote. For teams in contention, I don't veto any trade other than for collusion (doesn't matter if it's lopsided). If there is a trade between a team in contention and not mathematically in contention, I will look at the merits of the trade for both teams and if there is a doubt that it's actually helpful to the team in contention it will be vetoed. An example would be a 2-9 team who has Vick and no RB depth trading LeSean McCoy for Kyle Orton. I won't approve it. Is that clear?

Duh, I think i knew the definition of the words 'written' and 'decree' (as in: you da king). What i had a hard time geting my head around was just wtf 'a higher level of scrutiny' actually meant. Thank you, Oh MY King, for clarifying your decree! While I exalt your fanticiness, I don't think I'll join your league.

I humbly suggest that you 'decree' an earlier draft deadline next year, and then your subjects won't have to be subject to 'higher scrutiny' from the King of Fantasy Football.

Next year.

I'm going to completely disagree with this for the reason if your in the playoffs or not all teams should have the right to put toghether the best team they can. Just because you are out of the playoffs don't mean you can't play spoiler to another team and effect the playoffs. IMO this is bush league but to each their own.

Duh, I think i knew the definition of the words 'written' and 'decree' (as in: you da king). What i had a hard time geting my head around was just wtf 'a higher level of scrutiny' actually meant. Thank you, Oh MY King, for clarifying your decree! While I exalt your fanticiness, I don't think I'll join your league.

I humbly suggest that you 'decree' an earlier draft deadline next year, and then your subjects won't have to be subject to 'higher scrutiny' from the King of Fantasy Football.

I suggest you not post while you're drunk. It's embarassing.

Quick update:

The trade of Bush/Gore (funny, right?!) for Turner/Rivers was overturned. First time in league history that this has been done. A couple more trades were made after the original trade -- that probably wouldn't have been made knowing that the trade could be overturned.

Gotta imagine the Gore owner is REALLY pissed now!

Good luck.

Quick update:

The trade of Bush/Gore (funny, right?!) for Turner/Rivers was overturned. First time in league history that this has been done. A couple more trades were made after the original trade -- that probably wouldn't have been made knowing that the trade could be overturned.

Gotta imagine the Gore owner is REALLY pissed now!

Good luck.

its not dynasty or keeper is it? also, that trade was fine. not sure the problem was. trades should not be overturned by league decision ever.