Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Using the Stud WR theory next season.

The league I play in starts 3, as well. 3 WRs 2 RBs and a flex. 12 teams. So that's 36+ WRs starting every week. Seemed impossible for anyone to have really good WRs. I mean who was even steady all year? Calvin Johnson? Bowe? Anyone else?

RBs are a dime a dozen, total stud WRs that put up points every week .... seem harder and harder to find, every year. Chances are, if you used a 1st round pick on a WR this year, you regret it.

Roddy White, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Lloyd, Tampa Mike. Didn't even need TJ Housh for that "championship"!

ETA: CJ & White early, Tampa Mike mid/late, Lloyd (waiver)

I've never agreed with this, but after a year like this are you crazy?

Try this on for size - 4 of the top 10 consensus WRs:

Randy Moss

Larry Fitzgerald

Miles Austin

Brandon Marshall

All top 10 WRs - all massive busts and benchable for waiver wire fodder. How is that more stable than any other position?

If stability is what you're looking for, take Rodgers or Manning and Mendenhall or Turner. Don't waste your pick on DJax and Greg Jennings because you're asking for a bust.

I see your point but at least 3 of those guys had a red flag; Moss (age and some injury/attitude problems in 09), Fitz (loss of Warner, loss of Boldin), Marshall (traded to a run first team). Other than Fitz (and maybe not this past draft), I'd have trouble grabbing these guys in the 1st. I'm looking for a Roddy White, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson... a pretty short list.

I applied in in two leagues this year, and it worked to an extent.

It required nerves of steel in later rounds to find that running back people were allowing to fall; in these two leagues it turned out to be McCoy and Foster, just luck to have the ability to add them after snaring two stud WR's

I've never agreed with this, but after a year like this are you crazy?

Try this on for size - 4 of the top 10 consensus WRs:

Randy Moss

Larry Fitzgerald

Miles Austin

Brandon Marshall

All top 10 WRs - all massive busts and benchable for waiver wire fodder. How is that more stable than any other position?

If stability is what you're looking for, take Rodgers or Manning and Mendenhall or Turner. Don't waste your pick on DJax and Greg Jennings because you're asking for a bust.

Kinda as I was saying in my other post, of those four, Moss was probably the only one that was a consensus top 5. He was also the only one that I would consider a "massive bust" (maybe Marshall too). Although maybe they didn't live up to your lofty expectations, Fitz, Austin and Marshall all topped 1,000 yards this season.

But if you're going to expand it into the top 10, why not look at QB's as well. Yes I know you only start 1 QB, but Kevin Kolb, Jay Cutler, and even Brett Favre were considered top 10 QB's by many. People who drafted those guys relatively early without a capable backup probably didn't do so well this year (although I think most people who drafted guys like Kolb and Favre did have a decent backup plan).