Sign in to follow this  
sgumm23

Houston hotels, golf?

Gonna Be in Houston early Oct. Looking for some recommendations on where to stay, where to avoid, nice golf courses. Gonna see Texans v Raiders but will have car so I'd rather be closer to good golf than Reliant. Geek help?

I heard the wimmen were fat... :D

You don't want to stay in the area around Reliant, trust me. Stay downtown or in the Galleria area. I haven't stayed in a hotel in Houston in almost 20 years because I live just west of town, so I cannot help you with specific hotels.

As far as golf goes, the following are my favorites:

BlackHorse (out Hwy 290, northwest of town)

Cypresswood Tradition (north of IAH)

Memorial Park (just inside the loop, close to Galleria and Downtown)

Wildcat (south of Reliant)

All are going to be somewhat of a drive from the Galleria except Memorial Park.

Hope this helps.

Here are my favorites in order:

Red Stone (North Belt Way near Inter-Continental)

Augusta Pines (North of Houston in Spring)

Black Horse

Timber Creek (South of Houston in Friendswood not too far Hobby)

Cypresswood Tradition ( North of Houston)

Wildcat (Near Reliant)

I agree with staying down town or or galleia area. During rodeo we get rooms at the Garden Hilton in the galleria area about 10 min from stadium maybe less. Plenty of food, shopping, and nightlife in the area.

Not knowing your price range and how far your willing to drive. Might be easier if you find several place to stay and ask us if they are good or bad.

Can't help you with the golf.

After looking around I think I'd like to stay up in the Spring area. Maybe even up as far as the Woodlands. Will definitely try to play Red Stone (figure $125-$175) just because of the SHO. A lot of the courses Bert mentioned were up in that area so it would be convenient. Probably have time for just 2 rounds. Flip a coin between Aug Pines or BlackHorse? If BlackHorse North or South? I take it Northwest Houston is a good spot??? Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably be making hotel reservations in the coming weeks.

After looking around I think I'd like to stay up in the Spring area. Maybe even up as far as the Woodlands. Will definitely try to play Red Stone (figure $125-$175) just because of the SHO. A lot of the courses Bert mentioned were up in that area so it would be convenient. Probably have time for just 2 rounds. Flip a coin between Aug Pines or BlackHorse? If BlackHorse North or South? I take it Northwest Houston is a good spot??? Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably be making hotel reservations in the coming weeks.

The only problem with Northwest Houston is 290 is the worst freeway in Houston. If you are going to stay in Spring you might as well stay in the Woodlands (more restaurants, bars ect.) I like Augusta Pines better than Black Horse but both are good choices. I don't have a preference between the north and south course at BlackHorse.

Im not q big golfer, but Id rather stay in downtown and forget the golf stuff if I had to stay in the woodlands

Dont know if this is also a business trip, or if you will need to be moving around during commute times, etc. But dont underestimate the traffic if you stay in the woodlands or out 290. You will hate your life if you have to fight that traffic everyday. When in doubt stay closer to your destination, and if not that closer to the center of Houston so you can go counter-traffic.

Another vote for Blackhorse personally. (prefer North myself)