Sign in to follow this  
Ondawa

IR and injuries in fantasy football

Right now my 12 team league does not have an IR system. We are throwing around some ideas. Does anyone out there use IR in their league and if so how do you implement it? How do you all handle injuries. Any ideas/suggestions would be great!

We have 1 IR sport on the roster and if a player is listed as at least questionable by the NFL injury report a fantasy owners is allowed to place that player on IR and pick up another player. If that quetionable player plays that week and is not in their starting lineup they are force to move him off of IR and someone else into the IR (if applicable) or make a drop once rosters unlock for drop and adds. (you can make start and sit decisions up until game time of the player's respective game but rosters are locked from a drop and add perspective starting at noon on sunday until tuesday).

any IR spots in my leagues have always worked where you can put someone who is listed as OUT. and you can keep them there as long as you want, even if they are no longer hurt in real life but you are not allowed to make trades or add or drop players if you have an uninjured player in the IR slot.

its a little lenient but it avoids potential issues with the NFL's wonky injury reports. I wouldnt want a player who is perpetually questionable but always plays to force an owner to drop someone else or anything like that.

IR is a pain in the butt for commissioners. We added a roster spot rather than deal with all the intangibles.

We have one IR spot... If a player is listed as OUT on the injury report, they can be placed on IR in the league... Then they must stay on the IR for at least FOUR weeks...

1st year dynasty league where I'm the commish. 25 player rosters with 1 IR spot. Player has to be classified as Doubtful,Out or officially placed on IR by the NFL. Must remain on IR for 2 weeks unless he plays. Once the IR player plays the owner has 1 week to return him to the 25 man roster or the player goes back into the free agent pool.

In our Dynasty league we do have 2 IR spots but the player has to be listed by the NFL as IR, being out or questionable is not enough, they have to be done for the season but can be traded, ect

salary no longer counts against the cap either..

Right now my 12 team league does not have an IR system. We are throwing around some ideas. Does anyone out there use IR in their league and if so how do you implement it? How do you all handle injuries. Any ideas/suggestions would be great!

Honestly, I'd keep it the way it is. IR criteria get too difficult to track. Players are upgraded and downgraded constantly throughout the week and it makes life he!! for a commissioner to constantly try to see who is doubtful or out and make a determination as to who is IR eligible.

When I removed the IR designation, I simply expanded our roster by one spot. We also have a secondary keeper policy for guys drafted late in the draft as "prospect" type players so this extra spot helps keep those guys around and helps to deal with injuries as well.

As we are a traditional keeper league we do have an IR spot, but it's only for players who are actually on the NFL IR (i.e. out for the season) you'd use this if you had a stud go down but wanted to keep him for next season.

In our Dynasty league we do have 2 IR spots but the player has to be listed by the NFL as IR, being out or questionable is not enough, they have to be done for the season but can be traded, ect

salary no longer counts against the cap either..

:thumbsup:

IR spots are for players on IR in dynasty and keeper leagues.

:thumbsup:

IR spots are for players on IR in dynasty and keeper leagues.

This.

In redraft leagues its too difficult to appease everyone...even by adding one additional roster spot. You'll always have the team that has Ryan Grant, Dallas Clark, Matthew Stafford, and Sidney Rice complaining that their whole team is decimated by injuries and that they should have another space on their roster.

Injuries happen. Unless you are going to have that player as a potential keeper, there's no reason to be able to have an injured player take up a "free" space.

I personally have had it in one of my leagues where someone got screwed in the past by someone else having a player listed out and kept on the injured reserve until playoff time when all of a sudden that player's activated and he went off.

If you want to occupy a roster space with an injured player, its your gamble. Sidney rice last season is a classic example of roster management.

Thanks for the input....we don't know what we're going to do but I think we may skip the IR thing. Seems like a ###### to deal with.