Sign in to follow this  
BTL99

#1 pick in 12 person league -- worst possible spot?

Ok, so this is the 3rd year of a $300 league that we do. The first 2 years was a 10 team league and I won it last year. This year we increased it to a 12 team league and I got the first pick. Am I crazy to think that I got the worst possible pick number? I feel like with the first pick you are suppose to take like Arian Foster, AP or Chris Johnson, but then you have to wait like 23 picks before your next pick.

I really want to switch picks with someone, not sure if that is typically allowed in FF leagues or not.

Who would you take with the #1 pick?

If for the first time in fantasy history,have accurately predicted this year top 22 scores, and they are selected according in your league then i guess that sucks. BUt if that is not the case there are plenty of good players for you to pick from.

Ok, so this is the 3rd year of a $300 league that we do. The first 2 years was a 10 team league and I won it last year. This year we increased it to a 12 team league and I got the first pick. Am I crazy to think that I got the worst possible pick number? I feel like with the first pick you are suppose to take like Arian Foster, AP or Chris Johnson, but then you have to wait like 23 picks before your next pick.

I really want to switch picks with someone, not sure if that is typically allowed in FF leagues or not.

I don't think its the worst pick...I love the guys that you can get at the end of the 4th/5th wrap picks. By having the back to back through the draft you can usually pick up some nice players and never really get stuck losing out on a certain position.

If I had the 1st pick in PPR I'd take Jamaal CHarles. TD/Standard I'd probably take ADP. QB Heavy I'd take Mike Vick and I don't care what his ADP is.

At the end of the 2nd/3rd wrap you have lots of choices. If you went RB 1.1 you can grab an elite WR and QB combo. Then in the 4th/5th grab your 2nd RB and an Elite TE. I like the slot you're in....going 1.1 sucks if your guy isn't out there. Don't get stuck in the consensus ADP jack....take the guy you are most comfortable with.

I have to agree that it sucks a$$ to be first overall! the wait is too much for me between 1-2, I do like the back to back picks but would rather pick around 3-6 if I had my choice

can you not trade your pick? maybe go 1.1 and 6.12 for 1.5 ad 5.5

I had quite a bit of luck with moving back in the first round unless there is a clear cut guy I want

I would take Foster number 1 and follow the strategy others have mentioned. Last year in a 14 teamer I took CJ #1 and luckily followed up with Calvin and Roddy at the turn.

I'm surprised, some replies agree with me that it is a bad spot to be in and some think it is great. The thing about taking Vick is that he is so injury prone.

Thanks for the help from you guys, not sure what I am going to do, but this helped for sure.

Only time I hate the #1 pick is if there isn't a clear-cut guy. Like there almost never is.

Honestly, anything in the top 5 would be good this year (AP, CJ, Foster, McCoy, Charles)

I'd bump McCoy for rice in my top 5. But maybe theres a top 6 with him or top 7 with mendy. Not sure where to rank mendy. Love his tds and schedule but Hate watching him play and am slightly concerned with his playoff workload and character issues.

The #1 pick is a great spot. You can select exactly who you want, and you get to dictate the start of every round with 2 picks back to back. If you know what you are doing, you want the #1 pick.

If you honestly think it's the worst pick, you should offer to trade your slot to anyone else. I guarantee that someone else would prefer the #1 slot. That should make both of you happy. You get out of having the 'worst possible spot' (your own words) and the other guy gets the potentially best slot in the draft.

The #1 pick is a great spot. You can select exactly who you want, and you get to dictate the start of every round with 2 picks back to back. If you know what you are doing, you want the #1 pick.

If you honestly think it's the worst pick, you should offer to trade your slot to anyone else. I guarantee that someone else would prefer the #1 slot. That should make both of you happy. You get out of having the 'worst possible spot' (your own words) and the other guy gets the potentially best slot in the draft.

Good points....

By far, most leagues allow you to swap draft picks. Also most leagues SHOULD HAVE bylaws that spell out the "do's and don'ts of what is acceptible in the conduct of the league. I can't believe a $300 league does not spell this out.

IMO it sucks to have the #1 pick in the draft (especially a snake draft), and I agree with Matt Mueller that I'd prefer picks 5 through 7 if given a choice. I'd recommend trading down if possible - especially if you can pick up some extra value for doing so.

I prefer to be in the middle too--drafting at either end in 12 team or larger league means you're very susceptible to player runs--but you can make it work. I'd rather have a pick every 12 so I can catch value that slips a round, but starting at #1 does mean you can go with pretty much any strategy and do okay. Having 3 of the first 25 picks can go a long way, and it can be nice when you hit the 6/7 and 8/9 turn, once people start doing silly things like grabbing defenses or reaching on "name" players they remember from two seasons ago.

I asked some people I work with and also in this thread and I got a lot of "take Vick #1". I mean the guy puts up crazy points, but do you take him and just pray he doesn't get hurt?

But you're the only person to get three of the top 25 players. :overhead:

All the draft slots are the same in a snake draft with even number rounds (math wise). It's not where you draft but who you draft. And the middle/late rounds usually make or break you anyway.

Aint nuttin' wrong with number one.

do not draft Vick #1, draft the RB u think will be best, then at the turn i suggest a pair of top WR's, or a QB and WR.

I like to stack WR's in leagues where u can play as many as 3 + flex's

Agreed. Drafting a qb earlier than 3rd-4th seems to put you at a disadvantage at rb or wr.

Not drafting a QB before the 3rd-4th round seems to put you at a disadvantage at qb.

I asked some people I work with and also in this thread and I got a lot of "take Vick #1". I mean the guy puts up crazy points, but do you take him and just pray he doesn't get hurt?

Drafting Vick at 1.01 might be the popular office league move, and it might actually work out for you, but it is a lower probability of success, noobie strategy. First of all, Vick isn't even the highest rated QB in the NFL fantasy-wise. Secondly, do you really want your 1.01 pick to be a high injury risk guy? Thirdly, you can most likely get a first tier QB like Romo or Rivers in round 4 or 5 and not miss out on much extra value even if Vick stays healthy. You can even take a 2nd tier guy like Eli in about the 8th round of your draft, and put up enough fantasy points with a reasonably safe high scoring RB for your 1.01 to compensate for waiting on a QB.

If you can't or won't trade down in the 1st round to pick up some extra value later in the draft (and this is by far your best option), then personally I'd be taking Arian Foster or Jamaal Charles with 1.01.

I just read a interesting statistical study and article by John Paulsen of 4for4.com. Without giving away all the details of his study, here is his conclusion:

"Eli Manning may not have the game-breaking ability of an Aaron Rodgers, but the difference between the two projects to be less than [the difference] between the RBs or WRs at the same draft positions. In other words, would you rather have Mike Wallace and Eli Manning - or Aaron Rodgers and Julio Jones/Big Mike Williams? I’ll take the former.

I still may pull the trigger on Rodgers or Vick in the 3rd , or grab Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger or Romo in the 5th, but unless that kind of value emerges on draft day, I’m going to stick with my usual plan of loading up on RBs, WRs and a TE in the first five rounds and draft my QB later."

(For those who don't know John Paulsen (or 4for4), he is one of the very top fantasy experts. He finished in the top 5 last year of about 25 fantasy experts for his weekly positional fantasy point predictions for Fantasy Pros Fan Duel.)