Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWonder

Help picking TV

Looking to get a new TV in the next month or two. I've done some research but there is just so much out there. I want something in the 40-50 inch range (i think 50+ loses relative picture quality but i may be imagining things) and im looking to keep it under $750 if i can. I think this is pretty easily done based on my research so far. I see no need to spend 11-1300 especially if im looking to keep it in the 40ish inch range.

My main viewing: Sports mostly NFL, some golf, but also a little NBA and MLB mixed in. Some movies. Very little regular TV, some HBO shows.

Havn't had a game console in a while. May buy one for madden, tiger and a select few other games.

Not really interested in a massive sound system as this will be in a smallish apartment not a glorious mancave or anything like that. Maybe a small, discrete speaker system.... so the built in sound quality is somewhat important to me.

The life of the TV is not important to me. I mean, it better last 2+ years but i'm not going to make a decision based on a type of TV having a slightly longer screen life. I'm sure ill wan't to replace this in 3-4 years like i'm replacing my current one.

Suggestions?

LCD, LED, Plasma?

Brand?

Store? any sweet deals out there right now?

Keep checking slickdeals.net. There isn't a better place on the 'web to stay in tune with what deals are out there, or a better place to hear opinions on those deals.

In general:

1) If you're putting the TV in a bright room, go LED with a matte screen (LCD if LED pricing is out of range). Plasmas (mostly) have glossy screens, and the reflections will ruin your viewing enjoyment.

2) Go with 240Hz if you can; it will smooth gaming action, as well as sports viewing. If budget is too strong a consideration, you can get by with 120Hz as well: but do not buy a 60Hz LCD.

3) I like Samsungs as a general rule, but there are good TVs made by other brands as well.

Be patient: slickdeals.net usually has several new TV deals posted per day, and the weekend (particularly this weekend) should be no exception.

PS: 1080p viewing is maximized (IMO) @ ~55"-60". Beyond that, and it can get increasingly grainy. Below 46", you may as well save money and get a 720p model, as the difference is virtually imperceptible.

Keep checking slickdeals.net. There isn't a better place on the 'web to stay in tune with what deals are out there, or a better place to hear opinions on those deals.

In general:

1) If you're putting the TV in a bright room, go LED with a matte screen (LCD if LED pricing is out of range). Plasmas (mostly) have glossy screens, and the reflections will ruin your viewing enjoyment.

2) Go with 240Hz if you can; it will smooth gaming action, as well as sports viewing. If budget is too strong a consideration, you can get by with 120Hz as well: but do not buy a 60Hz LCD.

3) I like Samsungs as a general rule, but there are good TVs made by other brands as well.

Be patient: slickdeals.net usually has several new TV deals posted per day, and the weekend (particularly this weekend) should be no exception.

PS: 1080p viewing is maximized (IMO) @ ~55"-60". Beyond that, and it can get increasingly grainy. Below 46", you may as well save money and get a 720p model, as the difference is virtually imperceptible.

thanks for the replies. Yea I knew all about LCD-LED being better in brighter rooms. This has me leaning toward LCD or LCD-LED as I don't plan to keep light off or windows covered on Sunday afternoons.

Plasma has less motion blur but I think LCD has almost caught up in this regard so I don't think that will impact my decision.

240Hz, while I wont shy away from it if the deal is good, won't be a huge selling point. Its actually barely noticeable over 120Hz from my experiences.

It's funny how people shop for TV's now. Back in the late 90s, the big selling points were "you can still kind of see the picture from a 30 degree angle" and "this 50" Hitachi Ultravision has an automatic focusing system." We'd stand there on the showroom and compare pixels from one TV to the next. What people didn't realize is that once you got the TV in the house, there was nothing left to compare it to, so it always looked great.

Now, it's a nitpick over the ratio of Hz vs. the size vs. resolution and whether or not you'll be playing games or watching movies.

It kind of reminds me of the "audiophiles" that claim they can differentiate a few Hz from one speaker to the next.

50" 720p plasma, get eithy panasonic or samsung.

~$600 done deal, best value out there...

Anyone recommending LCD over plasma has been drinking the Kool aid.

It's funny how people shop for TV's now. Back in the late 90s, the big selling points were "you can still kind of see the picture from a 30 degree angle" and "this 50" Hitachi Ultravision has an automatic focusing system." We'd stand there on the showroom and compare pixels from one TV to the next. What people didn't realize is that once you got the TV in the house, there was nothing left to compare it to, so it always looked great.

Now, it's a nitpick over the ratio of Hz vs. the size vs. resolution and whether or not you'll be playing games or watching movies.

It kind of reminds me of the "audiophiles" that claim they can differentiate a few Hz from one speaker to the next.

meh, with old crt televisions the picture was visible from any angle

im mostly interested in getting a good price for a clear, crisp image. When you see the TV's on a showroom floor, you really can see a big difference in certain brands but to get the best deal, i will likely be buying online.

40"+, 120hz are really my only sticking points. I don't much care that Plasma has darker blacks and more fluid motion because I think LCD-LED has caught up for the most part.

Anyone recommending LCD over plasma has been drinking the Kool aid.

im interested to hear why i should choose plasma in 2011. Over LCD with LED backlight?

im not being sarcastic, im genuinely interested if you know your stuff.

im interested to hear why i should choose plasma in 2011. Over LCD with LED backlight?

im not being sarcastic, im genuinely interested if you know your stuff.

True led (not bs 'edge lit' led) is superior technology, but it isn't 3x the quality (while being 3x the price).

Plasma technology is mature, been around 10+ years, has been nearly perfected by pioneer (bought by panasonic). Led is a couple years old and still raw. Motion isnt as good even w/ 240 hz. Viewing angles are big time inferior as well.

Difference between 720 and 1080 on hd cable isn't a big diff. especially over 8' away.

If you need to mount the tv, LCD does have a huge weight advantage, but on pure performance plasma 720 gives 90% at one third the cost.

If you want to pay to play, then by all means, I read the op looking at bang for the buck.

Mensa is over dramatizing BIG TIME (shocking) on the bright room deal. I have all sorts of windows and skylights in the room with plasma and there is never any wash out.

Deals of America has one for 639 samsung 51" 720 plasma. Could get it even cheaper with patience, black Friday should have them at 500 or less.

Take the left over hundred and buy the vizio soundbar with no sub ($80). You can add a sub later on if you want, can also plug an mp3 player or connect it to an AVR. Pretty

Impressive sound esp. for the money.

For a smaller condo or apt, you'll be real happy.

Mensa is over dramatizing BIG TIME (shocking) on the bright room deal. I have all sorts of windows and skylights in the room with plasma and there is never any wash out.

I'm not talking about wash-out. I'm talking about the reflection of a glossy screen. Plasma TVs also eat much more energy. I have both in my home. The plasmas are in the lower level, where lighting isn't a factor, and there aren't lamps which would reflect from behind viewing angles.

I'm not talking about wash-out. I'm talking about the reflection of a glossy screen.

Maybe it's an issue for certain models or direct sunlight, unless you have an unusual condition it shouldn't affect your buying decision

meh, with old crt televisions the picture was visible from any angle

im mostly interested in getting a good price for a clear, crisp image. When you see the TV's on a showroom floor, you really can see a big difference in certain brands but to get the best deal, i will likely be buying online.

40"+, 120hz are really my only sticking points. I don't much care that Plasma has darker blacks and more fluid motion because I think LCD-LED has caught up for the most part.

I'm not trying to rip on your buying style or anything, I was just making a general comment as to the particular details that we now pour over as TV buyers compared to years past.

43" samsung plasma 399 @ circuitcity

You'll be paying close to a g for a good 42" led.

Keep tv for 2-3 years until the cost of led is cut in half, then buy one of them and make plans a bedroom/extra tv and be out the same amount of dough

True led (not bs 'edge lit' led) is superior technology, but it isn't 3x the quality (while being 3x the price).

Plasma technology is mature, been around 10+ years, has been nearly perfected by pioneer (bought by panasonic). Led is a couple years old and still raw. Motion isnt as good even w/ 240 hz. Viewing angles are big time inferior as well.

Difference between 720 and 1080 on hd cable isn't a big diff. especially over 8' away.

If you need to mount the tv, LCD does have a huge weight advantage, but on pure performance plasma 720 gives 90% at one third the cost.

If you want to pay to play, then by all means, I read the op looking at bang for the buck.

i am most definately looking for bang for my buck. However i have not seen this 3X price difference you speak of.

plasmas are usually cheaper plasma<LCD<LED but maybe 200 dollars. If i see a plasma for 500, im not seeing comparable LCD-LED's for 1500.

im definately down to get a plasma if that will work out best for my needs. I dont plan to wall mount and i dont care about screen thickness. 1" vs 3" does not matter to me. Or whatever the thickness difference is.

I found a Philips 40inch LCD, 1080, 240Hz for $499 with 99% great reviews however the common of all the negative reviews was a second delay in audio to video when hooked up to a sound system and a delay in video games as well. Both of these things are secondary concerns for my needs but still 1 second is a very big delay.

43" samsung plasma 399 @ circuitcity

You'll be paying close to a g for a good 42" led.

Keep tv for 2-3 years until the cost of led is cut in half, then buy one of them and make plans a bedroom/extra tv and be out the same amount of dough

i see a 43 inch samsung at circuit city for 480?

I would wait for the Black Friday sales and go with an LED. I have a 46" LCD in the bedroom and a 55" LED in the media room. The 55" definitely has a superior picture quality. I agree with Mensa that overall Samsung makes the best priced sets for the money. Unless you're thinking about going with a plasma, in which case they are one of the worst.

i see a 43 inch samsung at circuit city for 480?

Dealsofamerica has it. Looks like LCD prices have dropped a bit but plasma still cheapest

Put me down for another geek recommendation of samsung as the best bang for your buck. not a fan of plasmas either.

Put me down for another geek recommendation of samsung as the best bang for your buck. not a fan of plasmas either.

:thumbsup:

I still have a 56" RPTV in 1080i. $2000.00 model with stand a few years ago, but being that it was a store return, I got it for $975.00

I'm kinda jealous of you flatscreeners, but mine will do until I marry Mensa or RP and come into the real money :banana:

I'm kinda jealous of you flatscreeners, but mine will do until I marry Mensa or RP and come into the real money :banana:

I've never owned one either. Basing my opinion on my old roomates tv and tv's of my friends and bars I go to. My tv is an old 30" Phillips that must weigh 250 pounds.

Sorry, I'm holding out for Newbie. Just waiting for him to get his wild-hair, leg-p!ssing days behind him. :wub: