Sign in to follow this  
rapala

Kendal Hunter

With Gore struggling and with an apparent ankle injury, is Hunter worth a WW pickup. From what i seen from his college highlights, he is very fast but did not catch too many balls.

He's worth picking up, especially if you own Gore, but temper your expecttions.

"He is the backup running back." Jim Harbaugh

The 49ers entered this season with a new head coach and system, a new center, and little time to implement Harbaugh's system. Add an injury to Braylon Edwards and Michael Crabtree's annual foot injury. They will play conservative, try to make no mistakes, football for at least several more weeks and slowly open it up. 3 games into the season, Alex Smith hasn't thrown an interception, a record for him.

Gore is the bell cow as long as he can stand up, even though he's lost a step. He can break tackles, but not outrun people like he once could.

Hunter, however, is 1) a rookie, 2) not built to be an every-down back, 3) still learning, especially the pass protection/blitz pickup routines.

If Gore is hurt, Hunter will split time with Anthony Dixon, but Hunter should still be the more productive back. Temper your expectations again because the O-Line is shaky. Joe Staley is better at pass protection, but he is not a guy to push people out of the way, though Lg Mike Iupati is. Adam Snyder is a journeyman guard who is better than the underperforming Chilo Rachal. The 9ers RT, Anthony Davis, is still a raw talent, who came out as a junior.

Opposing defenses have been able to put pressure on Alex Smith and the 49ers have yet to play an elite defense.

He's worth picking up, especially if you own Gore, but temper your expecttions.

"He is the backup running back." Jim Harbaugh

The 49ers entered this season with a new head coach and system, a new center, and little time to implement Harbaugh's system. Add an injury to Braylon Edwards and Michael Crabtree's annual foot injury. They will play conservative, try to make no mistakes, football for at least several more weeks and slowly open it up. 3 games into the season, Alex Smith hasn't thrown an interception, a record for him.

Gore is the bell cow as long as he can stand up, even though he's lost a step. He can break tackles, but not outrun people like he once could.

Hunter, however, is 1) a rookie, 2) not built to be an every-down back...

You had me til this.

i can totally see a situation where gore starts every game just so he's kept happy, gets pounded for 2 yards a carry for a couple of series, then they go to hunter.

if you have a bad offensive line its hard to stick with a guy like gore. you need a guy who can make people miss and run past them. and i like gore, i drafted him 2 of the last 3 seasons. but after last season i decided he's just not the same and let some other owner deal with him this season. i was able to get hunter on waivers last night as a hopeful flex starter down the road.

You had me til this.

The team drafted him and was quoted as saying to be a 4 down back if needed.

The guy is built like MJD. 5 foot 7, but 200 pounds. That's a lot of pounds on a short guy. He got the rock 270 times last year in college.

He's in the class of Hardesty, Helu and maybe even Jacobs. Harbaugh has relied heavily on Gore for the first three games and hasn't given much love to Hunter. With Gore dinged up, you have to assume Hunter will get more into the mix, maybe a 60-40 split for the game against the Eagles. Harbaugh is commited to the run and like the other post stated, the Niner o-line is a work in progress. Its a good line and has moments of greatness, but its a much different scheme than years past. Its setup for a power run scheme suited to Gores style but not necessarily Hunters style. Until Harbaugh decides to get both backs in the mix, and consider new schemes for Hunter, he is more of a flyer with the potential of a Helu or Hardesty. Worth a spot but temper expectations.

Hunter is the real deal. I remember watching a couple preseason games with my friends featuring him. We all agreed he should be a starting RB on some NFL team. He literally has ALL the tools and contrary to what some may say he is built to be an every down back. I drafted him in pretty much all of my 12-team leagues waiting for Gore to inevitably go down for that 1-2 week stint. It looks like I'll be spot starting Hunter soon. Not this week, but very soon.

Hunter is the real deal. I remember watching a couple preseason games with my friends featuring him. We all agreed he should be a starting RB on some NFL team. He literally has ALL the tools and contrary to what some may say he is built to be an every down back. I drafted him in pretty much all of my 12-team leagues waiting for Gore to inevitably go down for that 1-2 week stint. It looks like I'll be spot starting Hunter soon. Not this week, but very soon.

Out of curiosity...Why wouldnt you start him this week? The Eagles have given up the most Fantasy point to RB's than any other team in the league. The Eagles new spread out D line combined with SF setup for power run offense could be a recipe for MAJOR RB numbers.

Also, SF will likely try to keep Gore from getting hurt, so probably close to an even split for carry numbers IMO.

I am starting Hunter this week. Lost Jamaal Charles in my 14-team keeper league, so I will be going Mccoy and Jacobs with Hunter in Flex.

i hope you guys are right. after charles went down, I'm struggling to find any viable replacement. I'm in a deep league so a lot of RB's are taken, even backups.

I had to drop Meachem for Hunter.

Just dropped Chad Johnson's worthless ass to grab Hunter for some RB depth. They've been working on that Niner offensive line for a few years now so they should be able to run the ball. Hopefully this kid can eat into his carries more and more as the year wears on.

Out of curiosity...Why wouldnt you start him this week? The Eagles have given up the most Fantasy point to RB's than any other team in the league. The Eagles new spread out D line combined with SF setup for power run offense could be a recipe for MAJOR RB numbers.

Also, SF will likely try to keep Gore from getting hurt, so probably close to an even split for carry numbers IMO.

Well, because it means I'd have to sit D.Thomas in my one league (debatable) and Mathews in my other (not debatable). Don't get me wrong, he could definitely blow up..I do have a man crush on him after all. I'd just feel more comfortable if Gore was ruled out before starting him. Hunter will make for a risky flex play this week, the epitome of high risk/reward.

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh was less committal Wednesday when asked about Frank Gore's (ankle) Week 4 status.

Two days after declaring Gore "good to go," Harbaugh only said, "We'll see." Kendall Hunter remains a prime pickup in fantasy leagues. The 49ers are prepping to face the Eagles, who are yielding a whopping 4.93 yards per rush attempt.

-Rotoworld

Okay, now I'm feeling slightly more comfortable..

Frank Gore (ankle) was held out of 49ers practice Wednesday.

Beat writer Matt Barrows observed Gore "favoring his right ankle" and sitting out individual drills. His status for Week 4 against the Eagles is unclear.

Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter

Just dropped Chad Johnson's worthless ass to grab Hunter for some RB depth. They've been working on that Niner offensive line for a few years now so they should be able to run the ball. Hopefully this kid can eat into his carries more and more as the year wears on.

The o-line is a joke. There aren't any holes to run though. It's just not Gore's problem. Unless they starting using their backs in the flat more, I don't expect either of them to be much value in a starting lineup.

For those who think Hunter can become an 'every down back', I hope you are correct.

However, most of the scouting reports on the guy suggest he does not have the size to be one. Again ... happy to see them proven wrong, but even if Gore misses times, I expect Anthony Davis will vulture carries, especially whilst Hunter continues to learn at the pro level.

For those who think Hunter can become an 'every down back', I hope you are correct.

However, most of the scouting reports on the guy suggest he does not have the size to be one. Again ... happy to see them proven wrong, but even if Gore misses times, I expect Anthony Davis will vulture carries, especially whilst Hunter continues to learn at the pro level.

Are these the same scouting reports that left Arian Foster and Miles Austin undrafted because they were not considered pro-level talents?

Hunter was the leading NFL rusher of the pre season. I think that means something good.

leading rushers

2010 preseason

Anthony Dixon SF

Tyrell Sutton GB

Marcus Mason WAS

Thomas Clayton SF

Beat writer Matt Barrows says Frank Gore (ankle) is likely to share carries with Kendall Hunter even if he's active for Sunday's game against the Eagles.

Gore was a limited participant in Wednesday's practice after spraining his ankle in the second quarter of last week's win in Cincinnati. In addition to the injury, he's averaging 2.51 yards per carry through three games. Mixing in Hunter more makes sense. Sep 29 - 10:58 AM

Source: Sacramento Bee

I think I will be starting Hunter against Philly over Shonn Greene against Baltimore.

Beat writer Matt Barrows says Frank Gore (ankle) is likely to share carries with Kendall Hunter even if he's active for Sunday's game against the Eagles.

Gore was a limited participant in Wednesday's practice after spraining his ankle in the second quarter of last week's win in Cincinnati. In addition to the injury, he's averaging 2.51 yards per carry through three games. Mixing in Hunter more makes sense. Sep 29 - 10:58 AM

Source: Sacramento Bee

I think I will be starting Hunter against Philly over Shonn Greene against Baltimore.

Go with your gut brotha. :thumbsup: