Sign in to follow this  
RoadLizard

Is Chris Johnsons bad play scaring the Bears regarding Forte?

Just curious if you think the Bears are playing hardball with Forte after seeing what's happening with Chris Johnson? The guy has been bustin his tail for them but they just won't do a deal with him. Did CJ actually hurt the market for RBs? Is there more to this or is it just the Bears being extra conservative for other reasons?

I don't think CJs contract hurts him anymore than ADPs helps him...CJ isn't the first to underperform under a new contract and he won't be the last. They are just being the business that they are.

Just think its the Bears being the Bears. They are treating him the same they have treated other players in the past. I don't think it has anything to do with CJ. CJ is an all or nothing runner taking 3 carries for loss and then 1 for 75 even in his 2 previous seasons. This year the big runs just arent there. Forte is a more well rounded blocker, pass catcher, and runner. Forte may have a bad year after contract but so do other players and I don't think that is what Chicago is worried about

CJ is an all or nothing runner taking 3 carries for loss and then 1 for 75 even in his 2 previous seasons. This year the big runs just arent there.

Good point. Last year, I remember CJ2K's name being mentioned several weeks in the F.U. threads.

Earlier today, I heard a FF commentator say something about CJ2K's runs ending with Chris avoiding contact and going 'fetal' instead of trying to break tackles to get more yards. Seems obvious......

@ Road Lizard: maybe the Bears are also wondering about their WR situation. Cutler needs a stud WR(s) to throw to and truthfully, he just isn't a great QB. I don't think they can throw a boatload of cash at Forte when other areas of their offense are clearly lacking.

I don't think CJs contract hurts him anymore than ADPs helps him...CJ isn't the first to underperform under a new contract and he won't be the last. They are just being the business that they are.

"Underperform" is puting the disaster very mildly. That's like saying the earthquake in Haiti was comparable to bad weather. Lot's of places have bad weather. Chris Johnson held out for this contract. And Tennessee ownership misevaluated his status at the time and paid him big money. To become the highest paid running back ever in the game and completely shut down after being paid is completely unacceptable especially from the payer's point of view. And as someone else said in this thread, DeAngelo got paid and hasn't done squat either. Maybe Forte is different. But, then again, maybe a human being after being paid refuses to put his body through all that torment and risk of permanent injury. It's the business they're in, yes, but they won't be paying anyone a big contract anytime soon for playing running back. I don't think the owners are stupid.

You forgot about Larry Johnson doing the samething. If I was the Bears I would pay him well but no way I would give him stupid money like CJ got.

You forgot about Larry Johnson doing the samething. If I was the Bears I would pay him well but no way I would give him stupid money like CJ got.

I can still see RBs such as Forte getting paid in the future, but it'll be an incentive heavy deal with little real guaranteed. There's no other way given how current busts will set future contract precedent.

It's tough because you see guys like CJ and Larry Johnson and even Shaun Alexander get that big contract and then BOOM...they just go downhill and I believe they just stop caring. What Forte has done for the Bears, yea, he deserves a pay raise. Only problem is you have all these other instances where it has backfired bigtime. To whoever mentioned D-Will I think that's kind of unfair as he just isn't getting enough touches because of Cam Newton. I guess that doesn't help us out in fantasy land, but it is true.

"Underperform" is puting the disaster very mildly.

I think you get the idea...he hasn't lived up to expectations. I don't think it's necessary to continue to pound the point that has dominated conversations on this bored the last month. My main point of the post is the same, and has nothing to do with arguing linguistics.

What no one seems to realize is the bears have offered forte a new contract, which he has turned down. Forte is making what, about 600k this season? The bears offered something like 18mil guaranteed and 6-8 mil per season. I'm not sure on the exact numbers, but it is VERY respectable in my opinion.

Forte is entitled to his opinion, and he believes he is worth considerably more money. I think he is foolish for turning down that much money, if I were him I would have just asked for another 10%, probably gotten it and been on my way to a nice comfortable life. But forte wants almost double as much. If he ends up getting hurt or somehow not getting the bears original offer, I have no sympathy for him.

He knows his options and he is choosing to gamble for the mega contract. Good luck to him, but he has been offered a fair amount of money already and turned it down.

What no one seems to realize is the bears have offered forte a new contract, which he has turned down. Forte is making what, about 600k this season? The bears offered something like 18mil guaranteed and 6-8 mil per season. I'm not sure on the exact numbers, but it is VERY respectable in my opinion.

I agree; that is a very respectable offer. These guys think they have to be the highest paid guy in the league and it's due to several reasons.

1. Running backs are among the lowest skilled players out there. They typically score very low on the Wonderlic; even lower than Tebow and Vince Young. You only have to listen to a couple Chris Johnson press clips to know he's dumber than a box of rocks. They're dumb IMO for insisting on being the highest paid. Take the very good offer and laugh all the way to the bank. If you're thought of well, you'll get endorsements that will offset any money you left on the table during negotiations.

2. Player's belief they are the elite back of the league. Part of the reason they run well because they're decisive. Also the reason they talk about themselves in a 3rd person sense.

3. Player's agent urging them to hold out for more money; of course the agent is on a percentage basis. The other backs in the league with impending contracts support them holding out because it means more money for them.

"Pay the man!"?.......please. There are several guys coming in each year that under the right circumstances could make us forget your name.

Forte is entitled to his opinion, and he believes he is worth considerably more money. I think he is foolish for turning down that much money, if I were him I would have just asked for another 10%, probably gotten it and been on my way to a nice comfortable life. But forte wants almost double as much. If he ends up getting hurt or somehow not getting the bears original offer, I have no sympathy for him.

He knows his options and he is choosing to gamble for the mega contract. Good luck to him, but he has been offered a fair amount of money already and turned it down.

A man not smart enough to wash cars is offered 18 million dollars to play a childs game and he says no. Makes me wonder about this country sometimes.

:thumbsup:

I don't follow the Bears THAT closely, but it seems that Forte's work ethic is a whole lot closer to AD's than it is to Johnson's.

A man not smart enough to wash cars is offered 18 million dollars to play a childs game and he says no. Makes me wonder about this country sometimes.

Not smart enough to wash a car? What makes you assume that?

Thanks! They don't talk about this on ESPN, I wonder why?

Angelo is a worthless pud. Next question.

Angelo is doing exactly what he should be doing. He made an offer. Forte turned it down. The Bears have the option of slapping the franchise tag on him each of the next two years without having to sign him to a long-term deal and pay him a bunch of guaranteed money.

Forte made a major mistake turning down the Bears' offer (likely on the advice of his agent). Now he has all the risk and the Bears have none.