Sign in to follow this  
thePRO

Drafting Well!?!?

I seriously have the best bench out of all the other ppl in my league and draft pretty well, but injuries have hurt my team. I also notice that more times than not I'm debating between starting my high picks or starting the bench guys who have good matchups.

This has hurt me the last few years when I try and play a great matchup and it backfires. I look at a team that has no depth and he just starts the same ppl every week because of no bench and has a 7-1 record while I'm at 5-3...Basically I hate the stress of doing my homework, researching, and looking up stats and trying to pick between 2 or 3 ppl...

Thoughts? Anyone hate this too at times?

I seriously have the best bench out of all the other ppl in my league and draft pretty well, but injuries have hurt my team. I also notice that more times than not I'm debating between starting my high picks or starting the bench guys who have good matchups.

This has hurt me the last few years when I try and play a great matchup and it backfires. I look at a team that has no depth and he just starts the same ppl every week because of no bench and has a 7-1 record while I'm at 5-3...Basically I hate the stress of doing my homework, researching, and looking up stats and trying to pick between 2 or 3 ppl...

Thoughts? Anyone hate this too at times?

It's funny you mention this, this is my first year playing FF but I've watched sports all my life (I'm 34) and thought I was a sports geek. So, like you, I have a pretty decent bench but I'll be damned if I dont start outthinking myself, particularly when I try to play the best team defense.

So this week I bench the Jets (vs. the Bills, hell no am I playing them this week and of course, Jets D dominates!) and instead pick up off the FA list and play the Rams against a limp Cards. Rams did a decent job, points wise, but Jets did much better.

And then same thing this time with WR, Nicks is out so I decide to play DHB who, for no apparent reason is MIA for the game, over S. Holmes and Gaffney who both did a fine job today.

I'm now 6-3 fresh off a 3 game losing streak after starting out 6 wins in a row.

FML. I think for now on I'm just gonna play my starters and be done with it, win or lose.

/rant

It's funny you mention this, this is my first year playing FF but I've watched sports all my life (I'm 34) and thought I was a sports geek. So, like you, I have a pretty decent bench but I'll be damned if I dont start outthinking myself, particularly when I try to play the best team defense.

So this week I bench the Jets (vs. the Bills, hell no am I playing them this week and of course, Jets D dominates!) and instead pick up off the FA list and play the Rams against a limp Cards. Rams did a decent job, points wise, but Jets did much better.

And then same thing this time with WR, Nicks is out so I decide to play DHB who, for no apparent reason is MIA for the game, over S. Holmes and Gaffney who both did a fine job today.

I'm now 6-3 fresh off a 3 game losing streak after starting out 6 wins in a row.

FML. I think for now on I'm just gonna play my starters and be done with it, win or lose.

/rant

how are you liking fantasy football so far in your first year?

/rant

I have been out of ff for 8 years. Got back in a small money league this year. I also started DHB today (over Finley). Worked real well as you also know. Must be an age 34 thing. I hate this game occasionally! Here's to rolling the rest of the year!

Been playing fantasy football awhile now. It's like poker. Eventually you'll run cold. Lost charles, britt and MDC...they woulda looked good with bowe, graham, finley, SF and rivers. Drafted good...running cold.

Drafting for the most part isnt nearly as important as your in-season moves & trades that you make or dont make. Especially once you get out of the earloy rounds. Its all about adjustments.

A bench is great and all but at the end of the day, a handful of studs > depth. Look to trade your depth in 2 for 1s or 3 for 2s to get more consistent guys you don't have to fret over every week.

I used to run into this as well. Thing is the teams with no depth will usually get screwed eventually unless they get real lucky with unjuries.

You just have to stick to your main guys and only play matchups if your gut says so. I dont let any experts convince me to change my lineup and i never make last min changes unless its due to injury or something like that.

Its hard not to psych yourself out though.