Sign in to follow this  
Busted by the Feds

Colts clean house

They were designed around Manning and the Offense putting up a sick amount of points. Either you put the opposing team into such a big hole that they were forced to throw and then Freeny and Mathis just teed of on them or you won it in a shootout, which Manning was very good at doing.

It backfired if teams got ahead because they could just run the ball, wear down the undersized Indy D and control the clock.

I'm sorry, but this is an absolutely horrific view of things. I don't mean that towards you, because you nailed it - I'm aiming my displeasure at Bill Polian.

How can you build a defense to play with a 10-14 point lead? THE GAME STARTS 0-0. Essentially, the coin flip decides who dictates the game?? If the Colts win the coin flip and receive, Freeney and Mathis get to tee off all game with a lead? But if the other team scores first, we're focked?!?

Any smart coach, player, QB, owner, even fan would realize that the immediate counter-move against a great pass-rush is to run the football. And what do the Colts do for 10 years? Continue to over-emphasize undersized players, and continue to ignore the DT position. Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken opposing teams this long to figure out the Colts' defense.

Any smart coach, player, QB, owner, even fan would realize that the immediate counter-move against a great pass-rush is to run the football. And what do the Colts do for 10 years? Continue to over-emphasize undersized players, and continue to ignore the DT position. Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken opposing teams this long to figure out the Colts' defense.

They have figured out our Defense a long time ago. That wasn't the issue. Teams the last few years tried so hard to keep Manning OFF the field. That was how you beat us. They have even said, we know what Manning is going to do. We plan for it, stopping him that day was the issue. It wasn't easy to do.

They have figured out our Defense a long time ago. That wasn't the issue. Teams the last few years tried so hard to keep Manning OFF the field. That was how you beat us. They have even said, we know what Manning is going to do. We plan for it, stopping him that day was the issue. It wasn't easy to do.

I'm referring to the 2003-2007 teams.

Always seemed pretty obvious to me: run 40 times, and throw some play-action in once in awhile. It's why the Jaguars have ALWAYS played us tough. If negates our pass rush, plays to our biggest weakness (defending the run), and keeps the greatest QB in the league off the field and out of rhythm.

Why did it take until the past few years to figure that out?

I'm referring to the 2003-2007 teams.

Always seemed pretty obvious to me: run 40 times, and throw some play-action in once in awhile. It's why the Jaguars have ALWAYS played us tough. If negates our pass rush, plays to our biggest weakness (defending the run), and keeps the greatest QB in the league off the field and out of rhythm.

Why did it take until the past few years to figure that out?

Ah yes, you are correct in those years. Honestly, BB is the only coach out there that I ever see play correctly. He game plans each game. Moves people around, different positions. He looks to take away your biggest threat and usually does. Then hopes he can do more later. If he knows you are weak against the run, he runs the whole day. If you are weak against the pass, he lets Brady tear you a new one.

Hello there PATSSOX - been busy with the blog writing (probably coming to an end, however), fantasy football, and career changes, but I haven't gone anywhere....

In an ideal situation (for me), Peyton Manning is healthy for the next 4 years, and the Colts trade the #1 overall selection to the Browns for #4 pick, ATL's 1st rounder (mid-20's), #36 pick, and next year's 1st and 2nd. Imagine the Colts with a healthy Peyton Manning, a competent Head Coach, and 4 of the top 36 picks in April's draft. But, there's a lot of uncertainty surrounding the team:

-Will they take Luck or trade the pick? I'm personally not sold on Luck. He's obviously had a tremendous college career, and no doubt has the tools to play in the NFL. I'm not calling him a system QB, but he's had the great fortune of playing behind one of the most dominant OLine's in recent memory and a top running game. Sure, he doesn't have elite talent at WR, but he had one of the best TE groups in the entire country. If Indy drafted him, he'd be entering nearly an opposite situation - some great skill players, but no OLine/running game to speak of.

-Freeney/Mathis. Mathis is a free agent, but prefers to stay in Indy (if the price is right). Dwight Freeney's cap hit next year is something like $19 million! I could see him re-structuring, most likely signing a 2 year extension that lowers his yearly cap hit, or being released if the Colts go into full-on rebuilding mode. Would love to see Freeney re-negotiate to help make room for Mathis' contract.

-Reggie Wayne. He'd be a key factor if the Colts plan on making another SB run in the next few years, but he'll be grossly overpaid. He's nothing more than an elite route runner at this point in his career. He's lost any ability to get behind the secondary, and has lost a bit of his separation skills. If he'd take a 2 or 3 year deal for ~5 million a season, I'd love to see him back; but my guess is some stupid team gives him 4 years/$30million.

-Veterans. The status of Gary Brackett (MLB), Jeff Saturday ©, Melvin Bullitt (SS), Ryan Diem (OT/OG), Joseph Addai (RB), and Dallas Clark (TE) are all in doubt. Brackett is 100% gone, so is Diem. Addai should really be let go, but I could see him returning if Peyton is back at QB (Peyton LOVES Addai). Bullitt is a solid player, but apparently has been taking classes at Bob Sanders' school of injuries, so he's probably gone as well. Saturday will consider retirement, but I think his decision will be tied to Manning - he'll be back for 1 or 2 more years if Manning's still playing. Not too sure about Clark - on one hand he was a top5 TE with Manning throwing him the ball. On the other hand, he's been injured the past 2 years, developed a bad habit of drops this season, and really looked AWFUL all season long (slow, disengaged). He's getting old, so he could be gone.

Ultimately, the next 4 months will probably be most interesting for Colts fans - more so than any other franchise in the NFL. We could see a ton of turnover - including Peyton Manning - if they decide on a re-building mode. But I'll end with this: it takes most teams 3-4 years to successfully rebuild a roster; I truly believe the Colts can do it in 1, maybe 2 years. Think about it - Peyton Manning, 4 top rookies, an extra 1st and 2nd rounder next year, and (finally) a competent Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator. That'd be enough to win the AFC South, and if Manning really is 100%, it'd likely be enough to compete for a SB over the next few years...

I have to say I still don't get it.

As a remidner this team went 2-3 under Dan ORLOVSKY, and two of the losses vs NE and Jax were very respectable and no shame losing to Baltimore. Painter was constantly lost and Collins never should have been signed. But someone made the decision to go with Painter for 11 games, going 0-11 - who was it?

This looks a lot to me like a decision to tank.

I have to say I still don't get it.

As a remidner this team went 2-3 under Dan ORLOVSKY, and two of the losses vs NE and Jax were very respectable and no shame losing to Baltimore. Painter was constantly lost and Collins never should have been signed. But someone made the decision to go with Painter for 11 games, going 0-11 - who was it?

This looks a lot to me like a decision to tank.

First off, your comment has absolutely nothing to do with my comment, not sure why you replied to me...

But Orlovsky was cut before the start of the season, Painter has been the backup for a few years now. It's pretty clear that they favored Painter over Orlovsky from the start. Painter looked serviceably for the first few games, but his benching was probably overdue. However, "tanking", IMO, is out of the question. Jim Irsay, the owner, essentially paid a 78-year-old Kerry Collins $4 million in a last-ditch effort to save the season for the Colts.

If anyone wanted to "tank" the season, it was Bill Polian - he has now been fired.

How do you consider the losses to NE and Jax "respectable??? The Colts were down 13 points to a 4-win team with 4:00 to play...and were down 31-3 against the Patriots before the Pats' defense went into prevent mode. Calling those losses respectable is an absolute joke - did you even watch the games, read into the box scores, or did you just see the final score and make stupid assumptions??

'kmbyrant',

I no longer stand by that quote in your signature :nono:

'kmbyrant',

Just curious? Why? This year proved it more than anything how good Manning was/is?

Just curious? Why? This year proved it more than anything how good Manning was/is?

I had just got done watching 'The Brady 6' :doublethumbsup:

Colts are in the playoffs every year for the next 4 years if they keep and start Manning, and draft Luck to sit and come in if Manning ever gets hurt again.

I had just got done watching 'The Brady 6' :doublethumbsup:

There is no doubt, Brady can play in the snow and I actually think it helps him....Well that, and the defense is all over the place.

'kmbyrant',

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: