Sign in to follow this  
ACL's

Really need to get good WR corp

With all the talk about the depth of the WR corp, one might be tempted to wait on WR's. And I suppose that is a decent thought. But a run on WR's in the second round would screw you. You are assuming a RB run, but what if not. Some teams are going to be beefed up at WR, that's for sure. They may be suffering at RB2, but not picking a WR at 11-14 is a real risk in my book. First week you go against:

Fitzgerald

Welker

Cruz

with

Marshall

Steve Johnson

Maclin?

Can Lynch over Reggie Bush make up for that? Maybe. Not most weeks, I'm thinking.

Those gold teeth better be shining for Stevie.

Glad to see you're thinking. In standard scoring leagues this likely wouldn't fly. In PPR maybe - mostly because you've used Bush/Lynch as the example. I'd encourage you to go mock your a$s off and take a look at your projected points per week after you get through 10+ drafts. I find that I like my teams best when picking RB/RB/WR/WR or RB/WR/RB/WR rather than going 3 WRs with my first 4 picks. Some will argue against this, to each their own as someone said to me recently.

The arguement I held for years against going WR strong in the opening rounds, especially 3 in the first 4, is I always had much, much better opportunties at a good WR3 on the waiver wire than an impact RB2. I think that still applies today to an extent due to the sheer numbers (simply more starting WR's than RB's). What is making this year different is that most RB 2's are just not dependable. The weakest set of RB2's, well, I guess since I have been playing Fantasy Football. Funny, one can make an arguement for going RB/RB because of this or going RB/WR. Crazy year. One needs to be prepared to change horses at mid-stream during the draft. It's always been that way, I suppose.

Hard to say...if you waited on WRs last year and ended up, say, with Jordy Nelson, Steve Smith and AJ Green, I'd say you probably won your league. It's just about identifying who those players are this year. I'd say you're on the right track with Marshall. If I avoid one position early, I like to draft like 4 straight in the middle rounds, each of them a boom/bust type. If I hit on half, it's over.

For me it's always been easier to identify potential breakout backs, so I usually take a QB and two top wides early and then draft 4 straight boom/bust backs. But this year it's different. I see one back whose ADP is in the 70s that I LOVE. I see wideouts all over the place.

I see one back whose ADP is in the 70s that I LOVE.

Um.....share please. :D

you can wait this year and get guys like Antonio Brown and Maclin. You can get old horses like Santana Moss and TO (who Im high on) as well as youngsters like Vincent Brown and Brandon LaFell quite late.

The WR pool is way to deep to invest too much early.

Ingram?

I do like Ingram more than his ADP. He's another one of those guys who is probably going to go lower his 2nd year than his rookie year, which is crazy IMO. An NFL first round pick, gets overdrafted in fantasy, has a disappointing rookie year, and subsequently slides in fantasy drafts the following year because everyone forgets that he was drafted in the first round to be THE guy. Ingram is like that this year, but to a lesser degree.

The guy I like is Martin.

Ya I like Martin too but you better hope you draft early he is only going to rise on draft boards as people come to their senses. Another one that I have been seeing slip is Benjarvis Green-Ellis he is not going to be flashy but I think his floor is a solid #2RB and I have seen him available in the 5th-7th rounds which is cuckoforcocoapuffs crazy good value.

The WR pool is deep but you still need a true #1 to lead your corp so I still think you have to invest a 3rd rounder or better at the position, still a true #1WR in the third is pretty sweet value.

I tend to like to balance my teams during the draft (i.e. QB/RB/WR from late and RB/WR/RB from early) so that I can take advantage of depth and when players slip if you load up on one position it reduces your options during the draft. At heart I am a RB wh0re though so I always end up with 4-6 RB's on my teams.

12 team ppr playoff team formula for 2012

1. RB

2. RB

3. WR

4. WR/QB

5. QB/WR

6. WR/TE/QB

7. TE/QB

8. RB

So go RB/RB and then get 3 WRs by round 6. And TE and QB sprinkled in. And then go for your RB3 after that.

I do like Ingram more than his ADP. He's another one of those guys who is probably going to go lower his 2nd year than his rookie year, which is crazy IMO. An NFL first round pick, gets overdrafted in fantasy, has a disappointing rookie year, and subsequently slides in fantasy drafts the following year because everyone forgets that he was drafted in the first round to be THE guy. Ingram is like that this year, but to a lesser degree.

The guy I like is Martin.

Doug Martin? No way he lasts pasts the fourth round in a competitive league. I don't care what his ADP supposedly is.

Doug Martin? No way he lasts pasts the fourth round in a competitive league. I don't care what his ADP supposedly is.

This is correct. I feel like some of the disparity between the RB vs. WR guys might be in where people are mocking. In my mocks you are scraping the barrel for a startable RB by the 5th-6th rd. That is the complete opposite of the WR position.