Sign in to follow this  
MY3GSONS

Ced Benson

I don't know with Starks banged up that Ced Benson doesnt deserve to be in list with The Law firm, Reggie Bush, category of RBS. If you disagree why? I am not a green bay homer I actually root for the bucs but believe that if he is the guy he will get the goal line over Kuhn, what do you think?

I would worry some about Alex Green. Green Bay is a huge passing team and Green has excellent hands and is pretty fast. Benson has never been much of a good receiver out of the backfield.

I'm a huge packer homer and I think that for THIS year that Benson will see a majority of the workload, including goal line. Kuhn was only goal line because everyone else they had was SO bad. I think Green will get work too because he does have talent but he's coming off injury and he's young. Starks may get cut, he is not assignment sure and he's injury prone. He also reads his blocks like a blind man. So to answer your question, yes, I put him in that category but he has been going a little later so waiting til a round after these guys go is better.

I'm a huge packer homer and I think that for THIS year that Benson will see a majority of the workload, including goal line. Kuhn was only goal line because everyone else they had was SO bad. I think Green will get work too because he does have talent but he's coming off injury and he's young. Starks may get cut, he is not assignment sure and he's injury prone. He also reads his blocks like a blind man. So to answer your question, yes, I put him in that category but he has been going a little later so waiting til a round after these guys go is better.

In Cinci, Benson was the goal line back, and the majority of his TD's came in these situations. I would say Kuhn represents a risk here if GB decides to stick with him. IMO this is what will determine if the Benson/GB experiment is considered a successful one from a fantasy perspective.

Benson will have some 1 or 2 TD games, but lack of receptions and limited yardage means no consistent points.

I'd only draft him a couple rounds later than his current ADP which is mid 5th.

Even McCarthy does not know where he would draft Benson in his draft. But I do think Benson looks really good so far. Here are some other things to consider with Benson : His age, he does not catch the ball well, he has fumbled 12 times in the last two years, he is in a new system and not very intelligent, he may or may not get goalline carries, Packers offense does not run the ball much because they pass so well. He may do well when the Packers are ahead in 3rd and 4th quarters and Packers are trying to control the clock. With that being said, I would take Benson in the 7th of a standard league and the 11th of a PPR league. Packer Homer by the way.

Based on the 6 carries he had in 1 preseason game? I don't get it. Everything else you wrote I agree with completely.

I watched the Packer/Bengal game and Benson ran with power and quickness, something I haven't seen for some time in Green Bay. I realize it is a very small sample, but he looked good in that small sample. Based on the my points and where I would draft him is this - he looked good, but I still wouldn't pick him until the seventh round in a standard league or the 11th/12th in a PPR.

I took him 7.04 in my standard league. was easily the best rb available at that point, was looking at backups/timeshare guys otherwise. i think he's a very solid RB3/Flex with low end RB2 upside player this season.

2 words..... Alex Green. This kid is the real deal. He's big (6' 240lbs), fast, and is an excellent receiver. He averaged 8.2 yards per carry his senior year at Hawaii, then his rookie season was cut short by the knee injury. Now he says he's "almost" 100 percent and has looked good so far in camp and preseason.

Benson will make an impact this year, at least early in the season, bit I think the Green Bay RB with star potential is Green.

Depending on how the draft goes and the run on RBs, but I have him ranked 24 behind BJGE and in front of McGahee and Greene. Between now and regular season, I would anticipate him going in round 6-8 as the hype grows given his production in recent years, the injuries in GB, and the number of points GB scores. Downside - how many rushing TDs will GB score? Will Benson get +70% of the carries/TDs this year? IF (big IF) Green and Starks are healthy, do they take over in the 2nd half of the year as RB1? GB has not had a legitimate RB1 since 2009 (see below).

GB rushing/rushing TD stats the past few years:

2011: 1558/12 - Starks had 578 and 1, Kuhn had 4 tds, Rodgers had 3 tds

2010: 1606/11 - B Jackson had 703 and 3, Rodgers and Kuhn had 4 tds

2009: 1885/20 - Grant had 1253 and 11, Rodgers had 5 tds

2008: 1597/13 - Grant had 1203 and 4, Rodgers had 4 tds

Ceiling for Packers rushing/rushing tds in 2012: 1800/20

Ceiling for Benson: 1200 yards/13 TDs

Basement for Packers rushing/rushing tds in 2012: 1400/11

Basement for Benson (assuming he carries the ball 100 times): 400/4 tds

Ceiling for Benson: 1200 yards/13 TDs

Basement for Benson (assuming he carries the ball 100 times): 400/4 tds

Not exactly going out on a limb here with this spread. You could assign the same Basement/Ceiling numbers to 90% of the starting RB's in the league. Keep up the good work.

Not exactly going out on a limb here with this spread. You could assign the same Basement/Ceiling numbers to 90% of the starting RB's in the league. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the compliment. Was basing it off of the results of the Packers rushing results of the past 4 years. Sorry if that information is not detailed enough for you and how you gauge the value of a player.

Do not draft list IMO. There's no way he reaches the 18.2 carries per game he got in Cincinatti last year. If I were projecting a line for Benson, I'd say:

190 carries, 3.8 ypc (his career average), 722 rushing yards, 160 receiving yards, 5 total touchdowns. 118.2 fantasy points, good for the 33rd overall fantasy RB in 2011. If you thought Brandon Jacobs was great last year, then I suppose you can draft Cedric Benson.

He offers next to no upside, and PLENTY of downside. He's old, he's never been super talented, and Alex Green has looked pretty good in preseason. These low upside picks are exactly the types of players you stay away from in the middle to late rounds.

Do not draft list IMO. There's no way he reaches the 18.2 carries per game he got in Cincinatti last year. If I were projecting a line for Benson, I'd say:

190 carries, 3.8 ypc (his career average), 722 rushing yards, 160 receiving yards, 5 total touchdowns. 118.2 fantasy points, good for the 33rd overall fantasy RB in 2011. If you thought Brandon Jacobs was great last year, then I suppose you can draft Cedric Benson.

He offers next to no upside, and PLENTY of downside. He's old, he's never been super talented, and Alex Green has looked pretty good in preseason. These low upside picks are exactly the types of players you stay away from in the middle to late rounds.

Just to play devil's advocate:

-Cincy's offense doesn't even compare to Green Bay's. Benson could easily punch in double-digit TD's simply because of opportunity.

-Really lacks any competition in Green Bay. Starks has been a joke, and Green isn't quite 100% yet, and is completely raw/inexperienced. Even if he averages 3.8 ypc, he could still rush for 1,100 yards.

-Going back to Cincy vs. GB: Benson will likely face 6, 7 at most defenders in the box. All reports out of GB have been phenomenal, and in his brief appearance in preseason he averaged 6 yards per carry. I wouldn't expect Benson to put up 5.0 ypc, but I see no reason why he couldn't average low-4's.

Add all of that up and you could be looking at 260 carries/1,100 yards/10 TD's. That's probably best case scenario, but really not a bad option in the 6th-10th round.

My draft is on the 4th, I'm afraid the secret is out and his value will probably end up right where it should be. Around the 6th maybe?

Add all of that up and you could be looking at 260 carries/1,100 yards/10 TD's. That's probably best case scenario, but really not a bad option in the 6th-10th round.

If you combined James Starks & Ryan Grant into one guy, you'd get 267 carries & 3 touchdowns. 267 carries comes to 1014 rushing yards at 3.8 yards a pop. And that assumes that Benson never misses a game, and Benson gets ALL of the workload (which is almost never the case).

There's no way he reaches 1100 rushing yards and 10 TD's. Lets put money on it, I'll give you odds :)

I took Benson in the 9th round in my draft this past Sunday. He was the last RB on the board to own a starting job and he is my #4 RB. I'm good with that - if he sucks I'll cut him. If he has a good first few weeks - trade bait! :music_guitarred:

If you combined James Starks & Ryan Grant into one guy, you'd get 267 carries & 3 touchdowns. 267 carries comes to 1014 rushing yards at 3.8 yards a pop. And that assumes that Benson never misses a game, and Benson gets ALL of the workload (which is almost never the case).

There's no way he reaches 1100 rushing yards and 10 TD's. Lets put money on it, I'll give you odds :)

2009: Ryan Grant - 282 carries, 1,253 yards, 11 TD's.

I'd expect 10-15 carries each week. I think he'll be the feature back but they will limit him to keep him fresh. Probably will get vultured. Has some upside if the GB defense gets better, they will run the ball more.

Of course I wouldn't bet that, I listed that as his realistic ceiling.

The point is, find me another feature-back in an explosive offense that is on the board in the 6th-8th rounds.

Of course I wouldn't bet that, I listed that as his realistic ceiling.

The point is, find me another feature-back in an explosive offense that is on the board in the 6th-8th rounds.

Without looking at ADP's I'll guess....Stevan Ridley?

Without looking at ADP's I'll guess....Stevan Ridley?

It's a Bill Belichick RB who's only track record is fumbling the ball.

But Ridley does offer more upside than Benson.

I have no problem taking Benson in the 6th-8th rounds. Especially if I've done my job in the first few rounds. The other RB's (Ridley included, but with more upside) available with similar ADP's are basically lottery tickets:

-Jonathan Stewart (injured, 2nd RB, 3rd goalline option)

-Donald Brown (has sucked his entire career)

-Beanie Wells (has sucked his entire career, and may be on the worst offense in the league)

-Ben Tate (waiting on an injury to Foster)

-GreenEllis (similar situation as Benson, but a much worse offense)

You get the point.

But Ridley does offer more upside than Benson.

:thumbsup:

I'd rather have Ridley, but that's mostly because I think so little of Benson.

:thumbsup:

I'd rather have Ridley, but that's mostly because I think so little of Benson.

Same here, and I do have Ridley. I also have Alex Green, and I think at some point this season he will be the feature back in GB. He may lack experience, but once he's 100 percent, he will be the most talented RB on the team. This whole situation reminds me of the year Ryan Grant came out of nowhere by midseason. I drafted him that year and stashed him away too.

Sigh, as much as I hate Cedric Benson this year, I totally drafted him on my team last night :(.

Drafted him in the 10th round as my RB4. I guess I "like" him at that price, its still just kinda icky.

Also, the people comparing him to Ryan Grant are nuts. Totally different era, different QB, and a young runner in his prime. Now the Packers have the best QB in a league which has switched over to a passing one.

Hitch another Clydesdale to the plough. Benson is a GB back in the mold of Bennett, Grant, and Starks. He runs hard, but not very far. I think he may be a stopgap. Thompson got him for pocket change because of low interest around the league. Starks is hurt and likely gone. Seine is not an every-down back. Green has potential, but has yet to make even one eye-opening play. I can't get over the feeling that Thrifty Ted will make yet another move, putting Benson on the bench if not on the bus.

I can't get over the feeling that Thrifty Ted will make yet another move, putting Benson on the bench if not on the bus.

Ted is definitely thrifty, but he rarely makes moves. I think Bensons spot is secure because Ted's too cheap to bring in anyone else.

Cedric went to Green Bay for $0 up front - $0 guaranteed, veterans minimum, and weekly game checks that are done the moment the Packers decide to move on. Ted is the definition of frugal, and he found exactly what he was looking for in Benson with a deal like this one.

Despite Benson's performance, Rogers just said that they were more confident running the ball, and calling run plays with Benson in there.