Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Is Tony Romo just that good?

The nobody looked good because he was facing even bigger nobodies in the Giants corners and the Giants had to put their attention on the better receivers. That's why he got so may looks -he was a matchup advantage, and won't be in most weeks. If you are expecting Olgletree to be a good fantasy option this year because of Romo -good luck with that. Ogletree at least belongs in the league -some of the Giants corners don't.

You are completely missing the point dude. He has done this with multiple receivers. Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson, and it is possible with Ogletree. I think the odds are against it but he has a track record. It isn't just one game, it's multiple years of making the lesser known WRs on the team into good receiving options. What could it hurt to pick up Ogletree in a league? I mean your team is probably so stacked at all spots that you don't need to pick him up, but for those with a player that isn't going to do anything this year, I would add Ogletree.

Dont buy into the "decimated Giant secondary" narrative.

Any injuries in the Giants defense were more than compensated by the state of the Dallas offensive line.

Did you watch the game? They had the ball come out very quickly but that's a lot easier to do against weak corners. Romo is a good QB and played a good game. But lets not make too much about a performance against a defense that was down to one legitimate corner and zero depth.

You are completely missing the point dude. He has done this with multiple receivers. Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson, and it is possible with Ogletree. I think the odds are against it but he has a track record. It isn't just one game, it's multiple years of making the lesser known WRs on the team into good receiving options. What could it hurt to pick up Ogletree in a league? I mean your team is probably so stacked at all spots that you don't need to pick him up, but for those with a player that isn't going to do anything this year, I would add Ogletree.

I give Romo lots of credit for this. But we are discussing this in response to this game and you need to consider the circumstances here. Ogletree was the matchup advantage this week, but that won't typically be the case. I make decisions with considerations to all factors. The Giants CBs were absolutely a factor in this equations. That said, I though Ogletree himself looked pretty good.

Did you watch the game? They had the ball come out very quickly but that's a lot easier to do against weak corners. Romo is a good QB and played a good game. But lets not make too much about a performance against a defense that was down to one legitimate corner and zero depth.

Ok man. I will stop projecting Romo to be the number 1 QB this year. Actually I have been going so overboard with Romo's projections (thank you by the way for bringing me back down to earth) that my super special projections had Romo ranked at QB0. Yup I was projecting him to be so good that he would be better than the best QB this year. I am not afraid to go out on a limb here with my boy, but this limb doesn't seem so sturdy when you spew your wisdom unto this thread.

Yeah I watched every play.

Did you? Because if you did you'll remember seeing Romo running for his life all night, not standing there snapping off quick releases like he was Brady behind the Pats line.

I stand by my analysis.

Ok man. I will stop projecting Romo to be the number 1 QB this year. Actually I have been going so overboard with Romo's projections (thank you by the way for bringing me back down to earth) that my super special projections had Romo ranked at QB0. Yup I was projecting him to be so good that he would be better than the best QB this year. I am not afraid to go out on a limb here with my boy, but this limb doesn't seem so sturdy when you spew your wisdom unto this thread.

Whatever man. That post wasn't for you so I'm not sure why you are calling me out.

My take on Romo is that he is a very good QB and underrated by many. In my opinion I see him every bit as good as Rivers a guy who typically gets more recognition. Early on in Romo's career he leaned on TO and Witten too much, but that is what every young QB does. As he has developed he has grown and is certainly capable of making his receivers perform better. The examples of Austin, Robinson etc. are legitimate. He also has had talented guys that are capable of doing more -such as Dez and to a lesser degree Roy Williams. I see a break out year for Dez, if not this year that I don't ever see him reaching is potential, but to me that is more on the receiver than the QB.

Yeah I watched every play.

Did you? Because if you did you'll remember seeing Romo running for his life all night, not standing there snapping off quick releases like he was Brady behind the Pats line.

I stand by my analysis.

Dallas utilized a ton of slants to negate the pass rush. They executed them very effectively. NYG corners played off coverage and were extremely susceptible. Of course the Giants got after him. That is the strength of their D. Their problem is when the pass rush doesn't hit they are dead. That is why they were ranked so poorly as a defense last season -29th in the league against the pass -despite such a fearce pass rush. The 24 points Dallas scored was the average for the Giants D a year ago.

Whatever man. That post wasn't for you so I'm not sure why you are calling me out.

My take on Romo is that he is a very good QB and underrated by many. In my opinion I see him every bit as good as Rivers a guy who typically gets more recognition. Early on in Romo's career he leaned on TO and Witten too much, but that is what every young QB does. As he has developed he has grown and is certainly capable of making his receivers perform better. The examples of Austin, Robinson etc. are legitimate. He also has had talented guys that are capable of doing more -such as Dez and to a lesser degree Roy Williams. I see a break out year for Dez, if not this year that I don't ever see him reaching is potential, but to me that is more on the receiver than the QB.

Well you did quote me so... I am just messing around though. I thought it was amusing, sorry it was at your expense. I was pointing out that it is possible. Not likely but possible Ogletree breaks out.

I give Romo lots of credit for this. But we are discussing this in response to this game and you need to consider the circumstances here. Ogletree was the matchup advantage this week, but that won't typically be the case. I make decisions with considerations to all factors. The Giants CBs were absolutely a factor in this equations. That said, I though Ogletree himself looked pretty good.

Ogletree will be the matchup advantage every week, considering he is the 4th or 5th target. It's no different than Peyton Manning throwing to Garcon or Collie and them looking like stars because defenses have to completely commit to stopping Wayne and Clark, or Brady throwing to Welker, Gronk, Hernandez and now Lloyd. In Romo's case Austin, Bryant, Witten and also Murray are all dangerous targets that defenses must account for. No team is going to stick their CB1 on Ogletree, he will have some good games going forward.

What exactly is your decision going forward though? The Giants defense does not play Romo every week, and it's obvious you don't have Romo or Ogletree on your fantasy teams and don't want them on your teams. Is your decision to post on here that you think Romo sucks? Is your decision to pick up the defense playing against the Cowboys every week and start them when you can?

Well you did quote me so... I am just messing around though. I thought it was amusing, sorry it was at your expense. I was pointing out that it is possible. Not likely but possible Ogletree breaks out.

I hear you. As I said, he did look good, so yes, I agree. It is possible.

Ogletree will be the matchup advantage every week, considering he is the 4th or 5th target. It's no different than Peyton Manning throwing to Garcon or Collie and them looking like stars because defenses have to completely commit to stopping Wayne and Clark, or Brady throwing to Welker, Gronk, Hernandez and now Lloyd. In Romo's case Austin, Bryant, Witten and also Murray are all dangerous targets that defenses must account for. No team is going to stick their CB1 on Ogletree, he will have some good games going forward.

What exactly is your decision going forward though? The Giants defense does not play Romo every week, and it's obvious you don't have Romo or Ogletree on your fantasy teams and don't want them on your teams. Is your decision to post on here that you think Romo sucks? Is your decision to pick up the defense playing against the Cowboys every week and start them when you can?

Are you serious? Please go read my posts about Romo and Olgletree as these comments are utterly foolish. Or better yet, have someone read them to you. I said Romo is underrated and a very good QB and makes his WRs look better and Ogletree looked good, but I guess I am a hater because I point out the FACT, not opinion, that the Giants CBs were decimated and lack of depth favors receivers down the depth chart.

Are you serious? Please go read my posts about Romo and Olgletree as these comments are utterly foolish. Or better yet, have someone read them to you. I said Romo is underrated and a very good QB and makes his WRs look better and Ogletree looked good, but I guess I am a hater because I point out the FACT, not opinion, that the Giants CBs were decimated and lack of depth favors receivers down the depth chart.

All I've seen you do is whine and then personally attack people throughout this thread. You are a loser.

All I've seen you do is whine and then personally attack people throughout this thread. You are a loser.

So you didn't see when I said Romo was a good QB? Or that he was underrated? Or that Ogletree looked good? (this one you actually even quoted) I'm not sure what the problem is, but you are clearly coming after me without even reading my posts. The whine and loser comments I will let go.

So far my point that Ogletree was the beneficiary of the Giants depleted corners week 1 seems to be holding:

Kevin ogletree vs Giants week 1:

8 catches, 114 yards, and 2 TDs

Kevin Ogletree total since:

13 catches, 136 yards, and 0 TDs.

So far my point that Ogletree was the beneficiary of the Giants depleted corners week 1 seems to be holding:

Tampa Bay is ranked 31st against the pass, damn near last - and Carolina and Baltimore are fitted in the lower half of the league as well. Ogletree did next to jack in all those games. Part of it is Red Doofus has forgotten he has him on the team, the other part is Ogletree has forgotten where to be on the field..... I dont buy it was all NY's banged up secondary - we just suck.

Yes, I was completely off on Romo too. I have only seen him play the end of the game 2 weeks ago iirc, and although it looked like he was getting the ball in the right spot Dez dropped passes and the Cowboys wound up losing that game. I will likely be watching him again this week against the Giants. We will see if the Giants pass D got any better and Romo just has their number or something, or if Week 1 was a fluke.

I cut Romo in one league that I also had Brees, and which made Romo a terrible pick (I think I got him late enough that I liked the draft value at the time).

This thread was my first post on here, and since then I've proceeded to add absolutely nothing to the boards! Haha.

I still think fantasy is luck and evaluating players is very hit or miss. I know I'm not the best talent evaluator out there but even the pros constantly make mistakes too. So I can accept how off I was on Romo, although honestly I really don't get why he's been so bad this year, since it's not like I was just basing it off of one week of play but his career to that point.

Ogletree always was a big risk, but since I was sold on Romo and Murray he seemed to be an okay gamble. Usually if you do really well even one week, and especially if it's Week 1, you can sustain at least something to mid-season or so before regressing to the mean.

Yes, I was completely off on Romo too. I have only seen him play the end of the game 2 weeks ago iirc, and although it looked like he was getting the ball in the right spot Dez dropped passes and the Cowboys wound up losing that game. I will likely be watching him again this week against the Giants. We will see if the Giants pass D got any better and Romo just has their number or something, or if Week 1 was a fluke.

I cut Romo in one league that I also had Brees, and which made Romo a terrible pick (I think I got him late enough that I liked the draft value at the time).

This thread was my first post on here, and since then I've proceeded to add absolutely nothing to the boards! Haha.

I still think fantasy is luck and evaluating players is very hit or miss. I know I'm not the best talent evaluator out there but even the pros constantly make mistakes too. So I can accept how off I was on Romo, although honestly I really don't get why he's been so bad this year, since it's not like I was just basing it off of one week of play but his career to that point.

Ogletree always was a big risk, but since I was sold on Romo and Murray he seemed to be an okay gamble. Usually if you do really well even one week, and especially if it's Week 1, you can sustain at least something to mid-season or so before regressing to the mean.

I was wrong too. If the line was better and the WR not banged up constantly or dropping balls I think Romo would be fine, but he just ins't putting together respectable games. I think we all knew that Ogletree was a gamble, but who isn't a gamble off of the WW?

Regular Season record

Tony Romo - 48-30

Danny White - 62-30

:dunno:

Tony Romo = Fool's Gold

there's a poor metric. drew brees' regular season record is only .003 higher than romo's, but there's not much doubt that brees is the better QB.

and if you were too young to remember the danny white era, DAL was stacked at every position with top-quality players. all-pro RB. all-pro WR. dominant defense. numerous first-ballot HOFers. and they had one of the all-time greatest coaches running the show.

when has romo ever had any of those things?

as i wrote during the original ogletree WW swoon, his performance in game 1 was the result of DAL's system. ogletree has been able to get open against everyone so far this year. the issue has been the scheme and his inability to catch the football.

he will put up several more big games this season, but we'll never know when they will happen. this is the exact same pattern as patrick crayton several years ago. he'd go off because he was featured in the gameplan, and everyone would be burning wavier priority #1 to get him. then he'd be quiet for 5 games, because the gameplan was oriented elsewhere. then right about the time that everyone cut him or benched him, he'd go off and have another big game.

following week 1, i posted that anyone who expected robinson-like numbers out of ogletree was making a huge mistake based on inadequate analysis. robinson spent a lot of last season as the WR2, which ogletree absolutely is not. if dez or austin goes down, it'll be a different story. but ogletree is 4th priority for targets right now, and when murray comes back ogletree will be 5th.

I will likely be watching him again this week against the Giants. We will see if the Giants pass D got any better and Romo just has their number or something, or if Week 1 was a fluke.

Agreed -we will. They will certainly be healthier at the CB spot, but we will see.

The root of the problem is the Cowboys offensive line play. Romo is a good QB, not in the elite class, and maybe at the bottom of the next tier. The problem with him is the problem with a lot of QB's, you hit them a few time and they get gunshy and start short-arming throws. Romo is a really good extender of plays and moves well, but he doesn't have the strongest arm and form for him is important, he's not that accurate if he isn't throwing with proper form. When he gets hit a few times, he loses the form and starts misfiring. In the 1st game vs the Giants, the G-men defensive line did not play well and the Cowboys offensive line held up pretty well. The Giants DL has gotten better and more dominant so the determination will be made there again this weekend.

On his WR's, Miles Austin is talented and precise, and as long as he's healthy he's a good option. Dez is as gifted physically as any WR in the league short of Calvin. But he's a knucklehead in the Terrell Owens mold and has hands about as sure at TO as well. The Cowboys offensive play calling however is the suck. Jason Garrett gets outcoached pretty much every week. If it comes down to coaching decisions and all else is equal, bet on Coughlin this weekend.

The problem with him is the problem with a lot of QB's, you hit them a few time and they get gunshy and start short-arming throws... When he gets hit a few times, he loses the form and starts misfiring...

you make some solid points, but i totally disagree with this. romo has one of the tightest throwing motions in the league, and he's very resistant to taking hits. if he wasn't he'd be dead by now, since you O-line statement is dead on (and has been for years). he sets his feet incredibly quickly, and his release is extremely quick--he's noted for that around the league.

if you break down his poor throws, they generally fall into one of two categories--either he is throwing on the run (usually across the field), the pocket has broken so far down that he doesn't have enough room for a proper throwing motion, or he is actually taking contact on the throw. in these cases, it isn't a matter of losing form. it's a matter of not being physically able to set up and throw.

gunshy? no. it's actually exactly the opposite, which is why you see him banging his hand on linemen's helmets a lot. this bites him in the ass sometimes.

Is there a "Choker" category?

:dunno:

Youre just jealous because the team you root for has won 2 super bowls in the past few years and a good quarter back.

Youre just jealous because the team you root for has won 2 super bowls in the past few years and a good quarter back.

You can't spell ELITE without ELI.

there's a poor metric. drew brees' regular season record is only .003 higher than romo's, but there's not much doubt that brees is the better QB.

and if you were too young to remember the danny white era, DAL was stacked at every position with top-quality players. all-pro RB. all-pro WR. dominant defense. numerous first-ballot HOFers. and they had one of the all-time greatest coaches running the show.

when has romo ever had any of those things?

And a GM NOT named Jerry Jones.

You can't spell ELITE without ELI.

yeah? well...ummm...you cant spell BOROMIR without romo!

one does not simply throw the ball away when the play breaks down.

you make some solid points, but i totally disagree with this. romo has one of the tightest throwing motions in the league, and he's very resistant to taking hits. if he wasn't he'd be dead by now, since you O-line statement is dead on (and has been for years). he sets his feet incredibly quickly, and his release is extremely quick--he's noted for that around the league.

if you break down his poor throws, they generally fall into one of two categories--either he is throwing on the run (usually across the field), the pocket has broken so far down that he doesn't have enough room for a proper throwing motion, or he is actually taking contact on the throw. in these cases, it isn't a matter of losing form. it's a matter of not being physically able to set up and throw.

gunshy? no. it's actually exactly the opposite, which is why you see him banging his hand on linemen's helmets a lot. this bites him in the ass sometimes.

other guys will adjust their games, Roethisberger will continue to hold the ball, step into his throws and not care in general about getting popped. Manning and Brady will get the ball out quicker but still maintain the form. The game vs the Bears is a prime example. They were pressuring him, and after the INT to Dez that was returned for a TD (not Romo's fault, but matters not), he was not only forcing throws he shouldn't, but he was doing so with that little whip motion he gets when he rushes it. Again, it's primarily not his fault, his offensive line just sucks and his skill players are perhaps not all that everyone imagines them being. Apparently the whole world believes that you become an all-star as soon as you get into the Silver and Blue when reality says otherwise.

4 INT later you still sticking by your opinion?

:rolleyes:

i don't understand what the eye-rolling is about. you quoted a post about throwing motion, and asked me if i still had the same opinion. i do--his throwing motion wasn't what led to those INTs. those were bad decisions and missed throws, not a result of mechanics.

Romo's game yesterday was right out of the old west - the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Yes he threw for over 400 yards and yes he had his team in posittion to win the game late. But the picks and poor decisions during the game were so bad, so terrible - they doomed the ship from the start. To be fair his whole team sucked - but he has to be better than that. And his coach has to not be suck a focking idiot at the end of games - but that is another story.