Sign in to follow this  
Uberjamb

Riding the Ginger Stallion to the 'ship!

Started the season with Big Ben at QB, but traded him before the season for Cutler. (GAH!) Still, I feel like I have found buried treasure with the Ginger Stallion! (Dalton)

His numbers so far have been just outside the top 5 in QB scoring, but folks continue to deny him as a QB1. He is still on waivers in some leagues! Megatron made Stafford a top 5 QB last year, so is it so crazy to think that Green will do the same for Dalton this season? I am going to start this guy until he completely bombs, which I doubt happens. His schedule shapes up very nicely as well.

Thinking of picking him up myself and I've got Rodgers. I would continue to start him until he does bomb. I'm gonna still start Rodgers but might end up trading him for a good rb

I think he is an early candidate for Waiver Wire gem of the season but I don't think you can go start spending you championship winnings just yet.

Looking at his stats he looks a little bit more of a matchup play, but a darn good one.

Jacksonville 20/31att 244yds (64.5%) 2TD 1int

Washington 19/27att 328yds (70.4%) 3TD 1int

Cleveland 24/31att 318yds (77.4%) 3TD 1int

Baltimore 22/37att 221yds (59.5%) 0TD 1int

Might form a stupendous 1/2 QB combo with another fringe QB like Fitzpatrick/Rothelsberger/Cutler(throwing Cutler in there just for you but I don't like him too much, too hard to predict his peaks and valleys).

Remaining schedule is Dolphins, Browns, Steelers, Bye, Broncos, Giants, Kansas City, Raiders, Chargers, Dallas, Eagles, Steelers, Baltimore. Based on that he only has maybe one or two tough matchups in Steelers/Giants for the majority of season, but that final 3 weeks looks absolutely brutal. I think I might look around and see about adding him to my teams hurting for a QB but plan to dump/trade him prior to the end of the season.

I think he is an early candidate for Waiver Wire gem of the season but I don't think you can go start spending you championship winnings just yet.

Looking at his stats he looks a little bit more of a matchup play, but a darn good one.

Jacksonville 20/31att 244yds (64.5%) 2TD 1int

Washington 19/27att 328yds (70.4%) 3TD 1int

Cleveland 24/31att 318yds (77.4%) 3TD 1int

Baltimore 22/37att 221yds (59.5%) 0TD 1int

Might form a stupendous 1/2 QB combo with another fringe QB like Fitzpatrick/Rothelsberger/Cutler(throwing Cutler in there just for you but I don't like him too much, too hard to predict his peaks and valleys).

Remaining schedule is Dolphins, Browns, Steelers, Bye, Broncos, Giants, Kansas City, Raiders, Chargers, Dallas, Eagles, Steelers, Baltimore. Based on that he only has maybe one or two tough matchups in Steelers/Giants for the majority of season, but that final 3 weeks looks absolutely brutal. I think I might look around and see about adding him to my teams hurting for a QB but plan to dump/trade him prior to the end of the season.

Well said. I have him in two leagues and really need him in one of them because of Cutler. The end of year schedule could be a bit brutal though.

Some interesting leagues you boys play in. Dalton was drafted & retained in EVERY league I play in.

How is he still available?

Some interesting leagues you boys play in. Dalton was drafted & retained in EVERY league I play in.

How is he still available?

Because he was a mediocre QB who would have made your team worse last year, and finished by failing to reach 200 passing yards in five of his last six?

He's been good this year, to be sure, but let's not act like he was a slam dunk to be rostered in a 12 team league on draft day. Depended how many teams drafted backups. I have at least one prominent site where his ADP landed him as QB 20 this preseason, meaning he only got drafted if 8 teams drafted backups, and didn't get drafted at all in most 10 teamers.

His playoff schedule:

vs Dal

@ Pit

@ Bal

It gets a lot tougher for him that's for sure.

His playoff schedule:

vs Dal

@ Pit

@ Bal

It gets a lot tougher for him that's for sure.

Baltimore game is at home, but I agree. The whole month of December, he plays outdoors in Northern climates.

Started the season with Big Ben at QB, but traded him before the season for Cutler. (GAH!) Still, I feel like I have found buried treasure with the Ginger Stallion! (Dalton)

His numbers so far have been just outside the top 5 in QB scoring, but folks continue to deny him as a QB1. He is still on waivers in some leagues! Megatron made Stafford a top 5 QB last year, so is it so crazy to think that Green will do the same for Dalton this season? I am going to start this guy until he completely bombs, which I doubt happens. His schedule shapes up very nicely as well.

The "Ginga Ninja" is another possible nickname. :)

I picked him up to cover Luck's bye last week and was pleasantly surprised. I'm going to hold onto him for a while to see if his good play continues. He looks like he could be a good guy to pair in a QBBC with Luck/Big Ben/Flacco type guys. Green is obviously a beast and this Hawkins guy is a ball of lightning. I'd like to see Cinci get Hawkins some more snaps which could only help Dalton. The only downside is like the previous posters mentioned his playoff schedule is pretty ugly so I'd have a contingency plan for the playoffs if you decide to roll with him as your main QB.

I don't think people are cognizant of just how big a schedule bump the Bengals passing numbers have received so far.

The four teams they have played so far are combining to give up almost 300 yards per game through the air. The Bengals have had just about the pass-friendliest schedule imaginable thus far. And lest you decide to argue that their opponents' numbers are so bad against the pass BECAUSE they played the awesome Bengal passing offense...well, that would be incorrect.

Dalton is actually averaging almost 20 yards per game LESS than the averages his opponents have been giving up so far. Put another way, given the schedule he's faced, Dalton has actually been below average. The yardage numbers his opponents have been giving up would be far HIGHER, except that Dalton has helped all of them except Cleveland to keep their yardage-given-up down. And Cleveland, of course, was missing Joe Haden...a luxury Dalton won't have against them next time.

His passing schedule actually morphs into one of the league's toughest from here on in. And that's WITHOUT considering that the 300 yard per game Browns are about to get their shutdown corner back. So his schedule will actually be tougher than it looks already.

Dalton and AJ Green are both REALLY good sell high candidates. I expect both guys' numbers for the rest of the year to look a lot like their per-game numbers from last season. Which ain't bad, but I'm betting you can move them for much better producers given the hot starts.

I don't think people are cognizant of just how big a schedule bump the Bengals passing numbers have received so far.

The four teams they have played so far are combining to give up almost 300 yards per game through the air. The Bengals have had just about the pass-friendliest schedule imaginable thus far. And lest you decide to argue that their opponents' numbers are so bad against the pass BECAUSE they played the awesome Bengal passing offense...well, that would be incorrect.

Dalton is actually averaging almost 20 yards per game LESS than the averages his opponents have been giving up so far. Put another way, given the schedule he's faced, Dalton has actually been below average. The yardage numbers his opponents have been giving up would be far HIGHER, except that Dalton has helped all of them except Cleveland to keep their yardage-given-up down. And Cleveland, of course, was missing Joe Haden...a luxury Dalton won't have against them next time.

His passing schedule actually morphs into one of the league's toughest from here on in. And that's WITHOUT considering that the 300 yard per game Browns are about to get their shutdown corner back. So his schedule will actually be tougher than it looks already.

Dalton and AJ Green are both REALLY good sell high candidates. I expect both guys' numbers for the rest of the year to look a lot like their per-game numbers from last season. Which ain't bad, but I'm betting you can move them for much better producers given the hot starts.

This is some great info and analysis. Well done.

Good Point BB ... I think he's nominal at best and with a weak schedule so far...

I will say that his numbers would be worse WITHOUT AJ GREEN .. this guy has to be a top 3 WR going forward for the NEXT 3 years....

I live outside of Cincy (Louisville) and go to maybe 3-4 home games a year with a buddy who has season tix ... AJ GREEN is the REAL DEAL. He's made catches on some of the WORST thrown balls I have ever seen recorded as pass completions... I know that's part of what makes Great QB's "great" -- but Dalton's accuracy is NOT his strong point...

Add that to the other reasons already listed above, not sure I would count on "riding" him far...

RB

Good Point BB ... I think he's nominal at best and with a weak schedule so far...

I will say that his numbers would be worse WITHOUT AJ GREEN .. this guy has to be a top 3 WR going forward for the NEXT 3 years....

I live outside of Cincy (Louisville) and go to maybe 3-4 home games a year with a buddy who has season tix ... AJ GREEN is the REAL DEAL. He's made catches on some of the WORST thrown balls I have ever seen recorded as pass completions... I know that's part of what makes Great QB's "great" -- but Dalton's accuracy is NOT his strong point...

Add that to the other reasons already listed above, not sure I would count on "riding" him far...

RB

I like AJ Green. A lot. He's an absolute freak.

BUT...I'm still preaching caution on him, moving forward.

I do indeed think he has the kind of physical ability that has the potential to transcend matchup, and continue putting up huge numbers irrespective of the matchup he's facing. He could become a Calvin Johnson type performer against any defense out there.

But so far, he hasn't done that. He's had big games here and there, but mostly they haven't been against the bigtime pass defenses. Pittsburgh has mostly kept his yardage down (even though he did score a TD against them each game). Baltimore has handled him pretty handily. I've read that he did next to nothing when Joe Haden was on him, though I didn't see the CLE/CIN games to know first hand. Patrick Peterson shut him down completely. The Niners shut him down completely. The big game against the Broncos last year? Bailey was out.

I think it may be premature to call him a slam-dunk top 3 receiver moving forward at this point. Pre-season, everyone was saying this about Julio Jones, while AJ was a seeming after-thought. Now, after feasting on a soft pass schedule, AJ Green is the one getting the props, while Julio himself has lost some shine.

I don't think it's as easy as all that. I think it's worth looking into the matchups a little, and when you do, I'm not sure AJ's quite ready for inclusion in that elite group just yet. One last time...I DO believe he has that kind of ability. And I DO think he can get there. But I DON'T believe he's proven it to me on the field against good defensive talent just yet.