Sign in to follow this  
snatchem

Vincent Brown

COMMENTARY | After breaking his ankle in the preseason, San Diego Chargers 2011 third-round pick Vincent Brown will be able to go on injured reserve in 2012 due to a rule change that was passed on Thursday, August 30, 2012, and still help his team during the regular season.

In years' past, the injured reserve effectively meant the end of a player's season. But with the new rule, Brown will be able to return to the roster when he's healthy. That could come at an opportune time for the Chargers, who will need all of their weapons on offense after losing some key players during the offseason in Vincent Jackson and Mike Tolbert.

This news could be a saving grace for the Chargers, who can fill a crucial roster spot while Brown recovers. The former San Diego State Aztec was on his way to a breakout season after showing real signs of promise in 2011.

He finished his rookie campaign with just 19 catches for 329 yards and two touchdowns, but had a breakout game on November 10, 2011, where he totaled five catches for 79 yards and his first career touchdown.

In games he started, he had 13 catches for 294 yards and a touchdown. When considering he had very little time to grasp the complexities of an NFL offense during the 2011 lockout, his accomplishments are all the more impressive.

He could be the perfect midseason lift to the team when he returns from the injury. Given their current injuries and lack of marquee players, his return will be welcome.

Brown will now be able to take his time coming back rather than feel obligated to return early if the Chargers make the move to place him on IR. Because the earliest a player can be placed on the list is September 4, he'll be a part of the final 53-man roster on Friday.

The Chargers will begin the 2012 season against the rival Oakland Raiders on Monday Night Football on September 10 in Oakland.

That's news to me.

Returning from IR.?. NFL Zombies!!! :mad:

Chargers homer here with my two cents, Meachem was basically gifted targets due to playing against his former team Sunday. Other than that he is a very one dimensional long ball threat it has seemed.

The way Brown has looked in preseason and last year, I would say he is worth a roster spot, I just stashed him this week seeing as though he will probably return Week 8 after the bye. Brown has everything needed to be great, can get possession catches in between the hashes, big receiver that has shown a good jump ball ability, and according to people (can't remember sources sorry) Rivers and him were on the same page this offseason until he was injured. One of the Chargers players (again, can't remember who) I believe said they thought he was playing well enough to be their WR1.

That being said, whether it's Rivers or Norv or both, for some reason the Chargers NEVER have a favorite go-to receiver. They pretty well find someone new each week to light it up (ala Floyd week one, Rosario week 2, Gates week 4, Meachem last week)plus the constant catches going to the backfield. So long story short, I think he is worth rostering now to see if this chemistry he supposedly had with Rivers is still there, and seeing as though the Chargers don't have a legit #1, he could step in quite easily and go wild.

I wouldn't expect too much out of Brown, though he clearly has talent. There's a bunch of receiving targets in SD, and they aren't a team like GB or NO or NE where you can expect them to have a ton of total passing yards every game. I'm guessing he'd be a WR5 or WR6 (for starting 3 wrs). I wouldn't want to have to play him any week, but he's a decent lottery ticket on your bench if you need to catch lightning ;) Shame about him getting injured...it was an impressive catch.

After last week, if Meachem were sitting on waivers, I'd leave him there. That's how much I thought of that performance. I saw nothing there that suggested "sustainable high impact fantasy threat."

I took a flyer on Brown and stashed him on by bench last week. He clearly was putting things together at the end of last season and was looking very good in the preseason this year. If I recall, he hurt the ankle on a TD catch (could be wrong and too lazy today to actually look it up). If you have room on your bench, there's really no risk and all reward here...you could potentially be inheriting a #2 or even a #1 WR on a moderately potent offense. Gates is looking like he's done, Floyd is inconsistent and gets hurt a lot and there is pretty much nobody after that.

Well this sucks..

blog.chargers.com/2012/10/16/turner-brown-still-a-while-away/

Norv trying to be sneaky or is brown just not progressing healthwise?

i think brown...,helps floyd's #'s ...,brown is faster which will draw the better db's & floyd & gates have good hands which become his security blanket ..,as long as he does not throw it to the other team.

Have Brown stashed in my league that allows an IR spot.

In a standard league, especially with the week 7 bye's, I can't afford a spot. Possibly after next week, depending on the news

Based on what Turner said yesterday, they are going to tweak that vertical game a bit.

This means, run the ball and get Antonio Gates into the game early and often.

Gates is going to be the clear winner out of this mess.

Have Brown stashed in my league that allows an IR spot.

In a standard league, especially with the week 7 bye's, I can't afford a spot. Possibly after next week, depending on the news

I stashed him as well but am hit pretty hard by the wk 7 byes and had to drop him. I'm starting the poo-poo platter of Jeremy Kerley/Josh Gordon/Donny Avery this week. :wall: