Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Commish Trade Issue

Weird one in my Dynasty league.

I have a posting from two Owners, Al and Bob. Al says he is having trouble with his trade screen, but that he has worked out a deal with Bob.

It's him giving 6 B-list players to Bob for MJD and Jennings. Ok, no problem.

Bob e-mails me to tell me that he agrees to the trade - he is rebuilding and wants a bunch of 2nd-rate dudes. No problem.

Where it gets weird is that just prior to all this info coming my way, it appears Bob dropped Jennings. No explanation or mention of why or how from Bob, but Al says Bob musta ###### up.

So, now it is late and maybe it does not matter much - but I cannot approve 6 for 2 if the guy does not possess the 2.

I am tempted to punch it through minus Jennings and simply rule that Jennings becomes a Free Agent and is not part of the trade. I have nothing on a trade screen to approve or veto - just these posts to me. Or, I could simply wait until I hear more from both Owners, but certainly, it makes NO SENSE that Jennings would be dropped from the Trade screen.

Thoughts appreciated

Weird one in my Dynasty league.

I have a posting from two Owners, Al and Bob. Al says he is having trouble with his trade screen, but that he has worked out a deal with Bob.

It's him giving 6 B-list players to Bob for MJD and Jennings. Ok, no problem.

Bob e-mails me to tell me that he agrees to the trade - he is rebuilding and wants a bunch of 2nd-rate dudes. No problem.

Where it gets weird is that just prior to all this info coming my way, it appears Bob dropped Jennings. No explanation or mention of why or how from Bob, but Al says Bob musta ###### up.

So, now it is late and maybe it does not matter much - but I cannot approve 6 for 2 if the guy does not possess the 2.

I am tempted to punch it through minus Jennings and simply rule that Jennings becomes a Free Agent and is not part of the trade. I have nothing on a trade screen to approve or veto - just these posts to me. Or, I could simply wait until I hear more from both Owners, but certainly, it makes NO SENSE that Jennings would be dropped from the Trade screen.

Thoughts appreciated

Pick up the phone. Call both owners. Include Jennings in the trade if both owners agree it was some kind of mistake.

Once both teams agree to a trade, it's official. That Bob dropped Jennings is irrelevant.

Post that the trade has been made, with screenshots of the messages if you feel it's necessary.

Then drive to both owner's houses, and punch them in the faces in front of their wives and kids. Just for being focktards.

Given how you worded your post, it seems that Bob dropped Jennings before the trade was announced. If that's true, then I don't see how the trade can occur, since it would require someone trading away a player who wasn't on their roster...if the timing is reverse, where the trade was announced and then Jennings was dropped, the trade should go through, I'd say...I assume a third team has picked up Jennings, thus causing the problem?

Given how you worded your post, it seems that Bob dropped Jennings before the trade was announced. If that's true, then I don't see how the trade can occur, since it would require someone trading away a player who wasn't on their roster...if the timing is reverse, where the trade was announced and then Jennings was dropped, the trade should go through, I'd say...I assume a third team has picked up Jennings, thus causing the problem?

Vegas is right. If a 3rd party has picked up Jennings then it has become a sticky situation. I'd agree then that the trade is null since that action has already taken place. I'd be pissed if I was the 3rd party & I made a legitimate add from the waiver wire & then that player was taken from my team.

Question... Are we talking about Greg or Rashad Jennings?

This is a great point. If Bob dropped Jennings prior to the email arriving from both Al and Bob, then he's gone and is an open asset on the FA market. Bob should have contacted you and said "I dropped Jennings by mistake" and had you put him back on his roster. I would make both these guys submit an actual trade request. This all sounds a bit fishy me. You don't rebuild with crappy players in a 6 to 2 swap. I could see trading MJD for a player and a pick, but this reeks all the way through.

I've been the commish of my league for 20 years and I can't stand moron owners like this.

I'm a big proponent of expecting competency and not babysitting your franchise owners. Once you start wet-nursing them on stuff like this, then you've opened pandora's box and it will be expected all the time.

I don't know which league website you're using, but these things are pretty much designed with idiots in mind. Not to be harsh, but if they can't submit you a proper trade through normal protocols, fock 'em. Don't walk them through this on the phone like they're children. Set a reasonable expectation and stand by it or you will have continual headaches like this. You can answer questions about how to use the website if they are legitimately confused, but that's it.

Now, as far as the other issue of the "accidental" drop, this is kind of a grey area with me. How much time passed between when he "accidentally" dropped Jennings and when he notified you? If someone notifies me right away - like within minutes or at least within an hour - that they made a mistake with a drop or an add, then I will fix it for them. If this guy dropped Jennings days ago and then only informed you after this supposed trade was made, I call bullsh!t. No way.

There's a third issue here, which is the merits of the trade itself. You don't say who the B-list players are, but generally I hate these scrubs-for-studs deals. It's an issue that's come up from time to time in my league. I feel it's bad for the league and sets a terrible precedent that some weaker team can pack it in and send their studs to a contending team for a package of Larry, Mo and Curly. Again, pandora's box.

Overall, it sounds like these are a couple of pains in the @ss that you're dealing with.

Overall, it sounds like these are a couple of pains in the @ss that you're dealing with.

Here's what happened:

I put through the deal when Al e-mailed me this morning to suggest putting through the deal minus Rashad Jennings.

The drop happened earlier in the evening, last night, around supper time. I received notice to do the trade around 11:30 at night. So about 5 hours had elapsed.

In regards to the duds for studs thing, listen to this:

Al gives Donald Brown, Cedric Peerman, Delone Carter, and Jeremy Kerley and two picks - a 4th rounder in 2013 and a 2nd rounder in 2014 (for a four round rookie draft).

Bob gives MJD, Jennings (but couldn't) and Ronnie Hillman. This was simplified above as 6:2, whereas it was actually 4+2:3. The picks are not very good picks, I know.

To add some context, Bob already has Ballard and Luck, and is putting much future faith in the Colts. His team is 1-4 and struggling. Al is 5-0.

So, yes, in my opinion Al raped Bob without a reach around. I know. Not only must I endure holding hands for guys that refuse to download the appropriate software to provide for CBS actually working, but then, I must also endure highway robbery.

Jennings is now a Free Agent.

he cut Jennings. no deal. let them re-work it. and if someone (Al) can't operate a trade screen, tell him you'll gladly find an owner to replace him that can.

There's a third issue here, which is the merits of the trade itself. You don't say who the B-list players are, but generally I hate these scrubs-for-studs deals. It's an issue that's come up from time to time in my league. I feel it's bad for the league and sets a terrible precedent that some weaker team can pack it in and send their studs to a contending team for a package of Larry, Mo and Curly. Again, pandora's box.

let them manage their own teams. it's a dynasty league. MJD is old/horrible offense. greg jennings who knows whats up (and is so good the guy straight up cut him anyway). maybe there's some young developing talent on the "B" side.

EDIT after above post: no way I'd put through a verbally agreed-to deal when it's not what they agreed to. bad form. and guess it was rashad...makes more sense.

I certainly did.

that part of my response was in reply to WR guru.

but if they didn't agree to a non-Jennings deal, I don't know how you can just put it through.

or why they have to download software? been on CBS for 13 years... have never had to do that.

that part of my response was in reply to WR guru.

but if they didn't agree to a non-Jennings deal, I don't know how you can just put it through.

or why they have to download software? been on CBS for 13 years... have never had to do that.

Two parts here:

1) Bob had said "I give MJD, Rashad Jennings and Hillman for X"

2) Al had said "I give X to get (as above)"

Then, after the Jennings fiasco, Al e-mails to say "I agree to give X for MJD and Hillman", then I feel he's agreeing merely get a little less for what he's selling.

It's like at a garage sale: "I'll buy that lawnmower" "It's $50" "Would you take $40 for the mower?" "sure"

As for the software, several Owners have complained to me of functionality problems with CBS due to old browsers, Java, or other issues. The Trade screen in particular has been bothersome - so Al's complaint is plausible. The latest version of Internet Explorer seems to be necessary, not even mentioning Chrome or Mozilla.

Al e-mails to say "I agree to give X for MJD and Hillman", then I feel he's agreeing merely get a little less for what he's selling.

ahhhhh, I gotcha.

personally, I would have just said "you guys do it yourselves if you want the trade"

...since it sounds like there is apathy, possibly on both sides...but esp if Bob isn't even responding, he needs to sack up.

and there's time before the games start this week.

I know the CBS interface change they made is totally unnecessary, but 2 grown men should be able to figure out how to have the latest browser or clicks buttons on their own. :D

let them manage their own teams.

There have to be common sense limits to the laissez-faire philosophy. The quickest way to see a good league turn into a circus is to allow this nonsense.

I understand that it's a dynasty league and that creates different considerations. But you're opening the door for so much potential trouble by allowing teams to dump marginal prospects and rookie-draft picks for studs.

I for one would be pretty furious if I was a contending team in that league and one of my top competitors sent a handful of curtain jerkers to a loser team for a stud. I would immediately be in contact with every other loser team in the league trying to pull the same crap. And now, ladies and gentlemen, you have a circus.

As for the software, several Owners have complained to me of functionality problems with CBS due to old browsers, Java, or other issues. The Trade screen in particular has been bothersome - so Al's complaint is plausible. The latest version of Internet Explorer seems to be necessary, not even mentioning Chrome or Mozilla.

Fock any league management website that doesn't work properly unless you to use IE. What year is this?

Certainly we've all been in a league or two with Owners of varying skill levels.

My newest Dynasty has a bunch of dudes from FFtoday - appropriately named FFToday Zealots on MFL. Pure competition.

But this older Dynasty league is a local league of friends and acquaintances. In part the league is competitive. But in part it is held together by a history of beer, socializing and debauchery. And me - watching NFL ball with these guys a few times each, every year.

So, in part, I accept the circus-like elements due to the context.

Hell, I think I may be the ringmaster. In 2010 Week 3, I traded Derek Anderson to Al (yes, the same Al as above) for his 2011 and 2012 1st round picks. This trade is infamous in our Leagues as the worst case of futures management ever witnessed.

Derek.

Anderson.

But back to the point - yes, when it's a circle of friends, sometimes it has marginally less integrity than a group of strangers. In a group of strangers, all you have is the Commish, the Rules and the chat boards.

With buddies, hell, you have controversy, bull$hit, emotions, weirdness and frankly, side-show-esque entertainment.

Thinking of the trades negotiated over beers while watching a game alone is enough to give me a smile. The game is on, every day. B)