Sign in to follow this  
DrG

Dwyer v redman

Dwyer looked like the better back tonight

Dog Poo vs Horse Poo

The winner of today's Pitt RB matchup vs the lowly Chiefs D was Mendenhall.

Dog Poo vs Horse Poo

The winner of today's Pitt RB matchup vs the lowly Chiefs D was Mendenhall.

Even the Chiefs defense can shut down a running game when you don't have to worry about the QB doing anything. You can put 10 in the box and just dare Leftwich to throw the ball over you. ;)

Even the Chiefs defense can shut down a running game when you don't have to worry about the QB doing anything. You can put 10 in the box and just dare Leftwich to throw the ball over you. ;)

This gentleman is correct, with Leftwich at the helm, none are a good play next week.

Dwyer looked like the better back tonight

Not really. Dwyer averaged 2.9 YPC, Redman averaged 2.6. Dwyer had the opportunity to move up the depth chart after Redman's fumble, but he did little with it. His biggest "failure" was his inability to convert several short-yardage situations.

Redman's area of "expertise" is short-yardage (and I know he failed to convert a 4th & 1 last night); if Dwyer had been able to demonstrate that he was capable in this area, he could have possibly assumed Redman's role when Mendenhall returns.

As it is, the Steelers are unlikely to activate 5 RBs on game days (especially with the injury to Ben, they will likely activate a 3rd QB). Batch and Rainey both play ST, and when Mendenhall is healthy, he will be active, so that leaves one spot for Redman/Dwyer. Based on Redman's longer and more proven track record, and his ability (last night notwithstanding) to convert in short yardage, Dwyer will likely be the inactive guy.

Not really. Dwyer averaged 2.9 YPC, Redman averaged 2.6. Dwyer had the opportunity to move up the depth chart after Redman's fumble, but he did little with it. His biggest "failure" was his inability to convert several short-yardage situations.

Redman's area of "expertise" is short-yardage (and I know he failed to convert a 4th & 1 last night); if Dwyer had been able to demonstrate that he was capable in this area, he could have possibly assumed Redman's role when Mendenhall returns.

As it is, the Steelers are unlikely to activate 5 RBs on game days (especially with the injury to Ben, they will likely activate a 3rd QB). Batch and Rainey both play ST, and when Mendenhall is healthy, he will be active, so that leaves one spot for Redman/Dwyer. Based on Redman's longer and more proven track record, and his ability (last night notwithstanding) to convert in short yardage, Dwyer will likely be the inactive guy.

Same with Redmen in regards to fail short-yardage conversion.

This gentleman is correct, with Leftwich at the helm, none are a good play next week.

I wouldn't completely write off Leftwich until we see him with a week of preparation and first-team reps under his belt. The Steelers run a short, controlled passing game that should keep Leftwich out of trouble and he's always had a legitimate arm. He won't make the big improv plays that you get from Ben, but he has a chance to be effective. You've got the next 3 matchups against a Baltimore defense that's in decline and Cleveland. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.

Same with Redmen in regards to fail short-yardage conversion.

No, it's not the same. Redman failed to convert a chance last night (which I acknowledged in my previous post), but he earned his spot in Pittsburgh largely due to his effectiveness in that area the last few years. Redman failing to convert on 1 attempt after 2 seasons of effectively filling that role is not nearly the same as Dwyer failing to convert multiple attempts after NEVER effectively filling that role. And since the Steelers are unlikely to have 5 active RBs on game-day, Dwyer may have missed his chance to replace Redman in that role.

I wouldn't completely write off Leftwich until we see him with a week of preparation and first-team reps under his belt. The Steelers run a short, controlled passing game that should keep Leftwich out of trouble and he's always had a legitimate arm. He won't make the big improv plays that you get from Ben, but he has a chance to be effective. You've got the next 3 matchups against a Baltimore defense that's in decline and Cleveland. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.

I hope you're right, but I have serious doubts. Leftwich's wind-up is so long. When he tried to throw those quick passes (screens, slants, etc), it took FOREVER for him to get the ball out of his hands. I don't know how successful he will be at those routes.

KC was stacking the box with Leftwich in there. Before that, Dwyer had a better yardage avg and at least 1 run over 10 than Redman. In limited duty, I saw Dwyer's 73 yard run last year and then the 2 in a row breaking over a 100 yds ...

Am I saying he is a starter on your fantasy football team? Certainly not at this point unless he is named the starter next week while Mendy is still out. But I think he has more upside than Redman should Mendy continue to miss time.

I'm not sure who the people pining for Dwyer were watching to be honest. He seems very indecisive at times and gets happy feet n dances too much before squaring up. Not saying Redman is a world beater but he sure hits the hole quicker and with more authority. Plus he's solid catching the ball as well. I agree, if someone gets deactivated when mendenhall comes back I'd say its Dwyer.

KC was stacking the box with Leftwich in there. Before that, Dwyer had a better yardage avg and at least 1 run over 10 than Redman. In limited duty, I saw Dwyer's 73 yard run last year and then the 2 in a row breaking over a 100 yds ...

Am I saying he is a starter on your fantasy football team? Certainly not at this point unless he is named the starter next week while Mendy is still out. But I think he has more upside than Redman should Mendy continue to miss time.

KC was stacking the box when Ben was playing QB, as well.

You are correct that Dwyer had a better yardage avg before Ben went out, but that was based on (1) 17 yard run. Redman had a 10+ yard run of his own called back on an "iffy" holding call, right before his fumble.

The fact is that Dwyer needed to demonstrate that he was better than Redman (specifically in short-yardage situations) in order to take Redman's spot. Neither Dwyer/Redman play ST, so once Ben & Mendenhall are active, it's very unlikely that the Steelers will keep 5 RBs active, since they will probably keep 3 QBs active. So, the chances are that only 1 of them will be active on game days. Since Dwyer hasn't proven to be better than Redman, he'll likely be the inactive guy.

That RB situation is a total mess. Unless you have a situation like 2 weeks ago where Redman was the only one standing, or the weeks before that where Dwyer was the lone wolf, I'd avoid it. Clearly Mendenhall is the guy you want in the long run, but do you trust him to play a full game at this point? Redman seemed to re-establish himself as the #2 guy in the Giants game, but then he fumbles and opens the door for Dwyer again. With all 3 looking to be able to play this week, good luck.